Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Seeker's Victory by FwooperFeathers

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm not usually one for romance fics, but I've meant to write this for some time and I hope that you like it!
The Seeker's Victory


Ginny Weasley pulled her scarlet Quidditch robes over her head and grabbed her broomstick from its leaning position against the wall. Casting a fleeting glance in the mirror, she smoothed down her bright red hair and took a deep breath.

Today Ginny was playing Seeker for Gryffindor in the last Quidditch match of the year. Everything depended on her, Ginny, catching the Snitch and winning the game. Everyone was counting on her, and she was not about to let her entire house down. Especially Harry, whom she was substituting for as he was serving detention with Snape.

It did not help Ginny's nerves that the opposing Seeker, the Ravenclaw Seeker, was Cho Chang. Harry's ex girlfriend. Ginny clenched her jaw. She was a Weasley, and she was going to win this match. Especially against Cho.

Ginny turned away from her reflection and began to walk towards the door of the changing rooms, followed by the rest of her team. Ginny had to admit that the Gryffindor team was promising.

There was Ron Weasley, her brother, serving as the Keeper; Demelza Robins and Katie Bell were Chasers, along with Dean Thomas--Ginny's ex boyfriend; Jimmy Peakes and Ritchie Coot would be serving as Beaters. Ginny turned to them.

"This is the last game of the year. Our captain isn't here, but I know that he would have complete confidence in you--just like I do. This is a great team, and I think that if we all try our best, we can do this. So let's win the Quidditch Cup for Harry!"

Sounds of agreement came from the team, and Ginny beamed. She had been slightly nervous about giving a speech to the team, but she had to admit to herself that she had done well. Leading her team, Ginny stepped out into the sunlight of the pitch.

The team blinked in the bright light of the sun after being in the dim light of the changing rooms for the past hour. Ginny took in the scene before her--one side of the pitch was a sea of red and gold, the other a mulititude of blue and bronze. On the other side of the pitch, she could see the blue-clad Ravenclaw team emerging from their changing rooms.

The Gryffindors reached the center of the pitch at the exact moment their opponents did. Madam Hooch was waiting for them. "Team Captains, shake hands!" she barked.

Ginny stuck out her hand to Cho Chang. Cho, a pretty Asian girl who was also playing Seeker eyed Ginny reproachfully as they shook hands. Ginny did her best to keep her expression stony. "May the best team win," she said loud enough for only Cho to hear.

"Don't worry, we will," said Cho evenly.

Ginny released her hand.

"Teams, mount your brooms!" shouted Madam Hooch. She opened the case holding the balls required for Quidditch--two Bludgers, a Quaffle, and the Snitch. She allowed the Snitch and the Bludgers to zoom out. Ginny's eyes followed the speck of gold until it vanished into the clear blue sky as she clambered onto her broom.

Madam Hooch took the Quaffle--a red, leathery ball about the size of a basketball--and tossed it up into the air, blowing her silver whistle to signal the teams to fly. Ginny kicked off and zoomed into the air, closely followed by Cho. She heard, with some satisfaction, the commentator--not Luna this time, but a fourth year Hufflepuff girl whose name she didn't know--announcing that Demelza Robbins was in possession of the Quaffle.

Ginny soared into the air, higher than the other players, and kept her eyes peeled. She began to circle the pitch, a strategy that she had learned from observing Harry during other games or even practices. She was aware of Cho following close behind her--she snuck a glance over her shoulder to see the Ravenclaw darting back and forth, staring intently at the ground below.

Taking a deep breath, Ginny swung her broom around and began to circle in the other direction, closely passing by Cho. She glanced down at the scoreboard and cursed inwardly--Ravenclaw had ninety points and Gryffindor had seventy. Ginny glanced at the players just in time to see Katie score, and felt relieved when Gryffindor's score changed to eighty.

Ginny returned to searching for the Snitch. Far below, she saw a glint of gold--there. It had just flown past Dean. Ginny swooped down towards the Snitch. She heard a noise of surprise behind her coming from Cho. The Ravenclaw set off after Ginny, who accelerated her broom.
She zoomed past Dean, who stared after her with wide eyes. Ignoring him, Ginny reached out her hand towards the Snitch--she could almost reach it--

Bang. Cho's broom crashed into Ginny's and she veered off course. Somewhere below Ginny, Madam Hooch blew her whistle and declared a fowl. Demelza took the penalty shot and scored, tying the two teams.
Ginny swore when she realized that she could not see the Snitch. Her broom rose up into the air once more, and Ginny flew high above the other players. Cho Chang was about fifty feet below her, also circling. Ginny saw a glint of gold, but it was only a bit of sunlight flashing off of a Ravenclaw player's charm bracelet.

Ginny took a great intake of breath. Her gaze drifted in the direction of Hogwarts. Harry is in there, Ginny thought suddenly. She wondered if he was thinking about her. Or was he thinking of Cho? Or was he just focusing on his detention? Shaking herself, Ginny turned away. She had a match to win, and she could worry about Harry later.

Suddenly, something small and gold zoomed past Ginny's range of vision. She looked--and saw the Snitch. She kicked her broom into action, putting it on maximum speed. Behind her, once more, was Cho Chang. Ginny gritted her teeth and pushed forward. She was within ten feet of the Snitch--now five--she could almost reach it.

Suddenly, Ginny's hand closed around the small golden ball. Giving a whoop of triumph, she landed amidst a roar of cheers from the Gryffindor supporters in the stands. Her team landed beside her, and she knew that they had won.

***


The Gryffindor common room was a chorus of chatter and laughter. Scarlet and gold banners adorned the walls, emblazoned with lions and Quaffles and Bludgers and Snitches alike. Ginny stood in a corner thoughtfully chewing on the head of a chocolate frog.

"You did well," said a familiar voice.

Ginny looked up to see Hermione Granger smiling at her.

"Thanks," she said, grinning at her friend.

"No problem," said Hermione. "You won the Quidditch Cup, you deserve a congratulations."

Ginny shrugged and took another bite of chocolate. "Harry would have probably done better."

Hermione looked at her very seriously, her brown eyes solemn. "Well, Harry went and landed himself in detention. And you did brilliant."

Ginny popped the rest of the chocolate frog in her mouth. "I think that I should probably--" her voice broke off, and her eyes went wide.

Stepping through the portrait hole was none other than Harry Potter, his untidy black hair sticking up in all directions and his green eyes staring right at her. Ginny became aware of just how much she loved him right then, and before she knew it her feet had taken control and she was racing towards him.

She reached Harry and threw her arms around his neck. Suddenly, his mouth was on hers and the world was spinning around her. Right then she didn't care that everyone was staring. All that she cared about was that she had wanted this moment for five years and now she had it, and that no one was going to take it away from her.

She and Harry broke apart after what seemed far too short a time. He looked surprised, but pleased. A wide grin was splitting his face, and Ginny was sure that there had never been a more wonderful moment in her life.

A chorus of nervous laughter came from the other Gryffindors, and Ginny felt herself flush. To her amazement, Harry did as well. Then he gestured towards the portrait hole. Hand in hand, the new couple clambered out of the Gryffindor common room.

Ginny was looking forward to a walk on the grounds and, if there was time, a discussion about the match.
Chapter Endnotes: Love it? Hate it? Please leave a review with questions, comments, or constructive criticism!