Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Real Nightmare by KimTomPW

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do NOT own the Harry Potter series. That credit goes to the brilliant mind of J.K. Rowling. Go Jo! I also do not own some of the material used. Again that belongs to Jo and Warner Brothers.

Real Nightmare

Chapter 1 The Worst Morning

Ginny Weasley, the youngest and only girl of Arthur and Molly Weasley, had her head resting on the palm of her hand as she stirred her bowl of soup. Her fingers were entangled in her flaming red hair which was so identifiable of the Weasley family. And you can’t forget their other trait of freckles.

She would be starting Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when September 1 came around, and she was excited and nervous about it at the same time.

–Something wrong with the soup, Ginny?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

–I wish I was at Hogwarts already,” she said with a sigh.

Her older brothers, Percy, Fred, George, and Ron, looked over at her. Her other two brothers, Bill and Charlie, were no longer living with them. It wasn’t always fun being the youngest. And being the only girl didn’t help matters either.

–You’ve been saying that ever since Ron went last year,” Mrs. Weasley said.

Ginny looked back down at her bowl and let out another long sigh. Her parents never seemed to understand that she wanted other girls to play with, not just her brothers, who often teased her.

–It’s different this year though, Mum,” Fred said.

Ginny looked at Fred, fear in her eyes. Ron was glancing back and forth from the pair.

–How’s that, Fred?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

George finally looked over at his twin brother because he knew if had before; he would start laughing and not be able to stop himself.

–She can’t wait to see Harry,” Fred said.

Ron rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to his soup. They had not stopped teasing poor Ginny since they had gotten home after getting back from another year at Hogwarts.

Fred and George were now trying hard not to laugh at Ginny’s face. Ron’s face was down so he wouldn’t do the same. He didn’t want to be yelled at by his mother like he knew Fred and George would be.

–Not true,” Ginny yelled, standing up quickly.

Mrs. Weasley turned angrily at Fred and George, and then turned back to her daughter.

–Ginny, it’s all right,” Mrs. Weasley said.

Little did Ginny know she’d be seeing Harry Potter sooner than she thought? She turned and looked outside.

–It’s a beautiful day. I think I’ll go outside for a while,” Ginny said, pushing in her chair and putting her bowl in the sink.

Ron got up and followed his sister out. Ginny sighed and turned to face Ron when she noticed someone was following her. Ron’s eyes grew at the sight of Ginny’s look on her face.

–What do you want?” she demanded.

Ron took a deep breath and looked down… trying to find the right thing to say.

–September will be here before you know it,” he finally decided to say.

Ginny nodded and turned.

–What’s Hogwarts like?” she asked.

Ron smiled, thinking about the past year, and took another step towards his sister.

–It’s great. Just look out for Peeves and Professor Snape,” he said.

–Professor Snape?” Ginny asked.

–He’s the Potions’ teacher. He’s also the Head of Slytherin and hates Gryffindor House,” Ron said.

Ron got nervous as Ginny looked down. He thought by know she would’ve known about them.

–And who says I’ll be in Gryffindor?” Ginny asked.

Ron didn’t laugh at this. He knew how she felt, though he had no idea she had been thinking that way.

–If I was put there, you’ll definitely be put in there,” Ron said.

Ginny smiled.

–Thanks… I guess,” she said.

Ron laughed. Ginny had always seemed to be brave to Ron. Out of all the brothers, Ron, admittedly, had not been Ginny’s favorite, but over the past couple of years, the teasing had lessoned.

–It’s true. You’re a lot braver than I am,” Ron said.

Ginny began to flush a little. Being called brave was something she wasn’t used to.

–Oh, I don’t know. According to Hermione, you were pretty brave last year,” Ginny said.

Ron’s eyes grew. Hermione Granger had thought he was brave?

–She said I was brave… wait, when have you ever talked to Hermione?” Ron asked.

He was surprised to hear that Hermione and his sister were in contact with each other, and that made him feel a bit uncomfortable, though he didn’t know why.

–I wanted to ask her how her first year was,” Ginny admitted.

–And you couldn’t have asked me then?” Ron wondered.

–I wanted to know from a girl’s perspective,” Ginny said.

Ron opened his mouth to ask her about their mother, but decided against it. He then came up with the conclusion that things at Hogwarts had changed since their parents had left.

–Right,” Ron said.

The pair then walked back into the house.

xxx

The next morning, Ginny was woken by the sound of a car engine.

–What’s…” she began, rubbing her eyes.

She ran downstairs to see who was in the car. Ginny’s mouth opened wide.

–What have you…” she began to ask as Fred, George, Ron, and another figure she couldn’t really make out too well, began getting out of their father’s old turquoise Ford Anglia.

She couldn’t believe what her eyes were seeing. Harry Potter was exiting the car with Ron, Fred, and George. Harry looked over at her.

–Hello,” he said with a big smile on his face.

Ginny went running back inside the house.

–What did I do?” Harry asked.

George and Ron started to laugh. Fred put his arm around Harry.

–Don’t mind her, Harry,” he said.

George cleared his throat.

–She’s a bit antsy at the moment,” he said.

–About what?” Harry asked.

He turned to Ron, who seemed to lose his voice for a moment.

–School,” Ron finally said after finding his voice.

Harry then realized that this was going to be Ginny’s first year at Hogwarts.

–Oh, it’s her first year, isn’t it?” he asked.

–Yeah,” Ron said, not turning to look at Harry.

Harry took this as a sign of bitterness for not writing during the summer holiday.

–You’re probably wondering why I never answered any of your letters,” he said.

Ron turned and shrugged, trying not to act like he cared.

–Yes and no. Hermione figured the Dursley’s weren’t allowing you to write back,” Ron said.

He seemed to be happier knowing that he wasn’t the one to bring up the subject.

–Well, I never got them,” Harry said.

Ron’s attention doubled at this comment.

–Turns out a house elf had been keeping them from me,” Harry said.

–Why?” Ron asked, leveling his eyebrows.

–He didn’t want me going back to Hogwarts this year,” Harry said, looking away for a moment.

He didn’t want to think of never going back to Hogwarts and not being able to see Ron and Hermione again.

Ron’s face became panicked as they entered the house.

–You are though, aren’t you?” he asked, sounding anxious.

He didn’t know what he’d do if Harry wasn’t going back to school. Sure, there would be Hermione, but she was a girl.

–Of course,” Harry smiled.

Ron smiled back. There was no way Harry was going to leave Hogwarts just because some house elf told him not to.

–Why didn’t the elf want you going back?” Ron asked.

–Dobby, that’s the elf, says something bad is going to happen,” Harry said.

Ron covered his mouth to mask his laugh.

–Dumbledore wouldn’t let anything happen,” he said.

Harry nodded in agreement as they finish entered the kitchen. The headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, would never let anything bad happen to his school.

xxx

That had seemed so long ago. Harry was now in his sixth year at Hogwarts and was being shaken awake. He no longer dreamed of those better times spent at the Burrow with Ron and his family. Now, it was only nightmares of a night he wished had never happened.

–Harry, everything all right?” a voice asked.

Harry moaned, sat up, and put on his glasses. Ron was sitting up next to him in the boys’ dormitory in Gryffindor Tower.

–I… I’m fine,” Harry lied, knowing perfectly well why Ron had woken him up.

He had, had that dream again. The one that caused him to scream out loud, waking Ron, Neville, Dean, and Seamus. Harry looked around, noticing that Ron was the only person in there besides himself. They turned as the door knocked and opened to reveal Hermione.

–Oh, good, you’re both up. Time for breakfast,” Hermione said.

There was something different in her voice. It was as though it was restrained, and both Harry and Ron knew why, though they didn’t say anything about it. Ron looked over back at Harry, waiting for him to get up.

–I’ll be down in a second,” Harry said.

Ron nodded, and left to join Hermione.

xxx

Hermione had a puzzled look on her face when Ron sat next to her without Harry.

–Where’s Harry?” she asked.

–He’ll be down in a moment,” Ron said.

Hermione sighed. Ron hadn’t met her gaze. He put his attention to the food in front of him.

–Can you believe it’s already been a year since…” Hermione began.

She stopped when she saw Ron tense up.

–I try not to remember,” he said, taking a big bite of toast.

–Neither do I. I was trying to keep a straight face for Harry… and you,” Hermione added, whispering the last bit.

The two became quiet and ate, not noticing Harry was walking up to them.

–Hey guys,” Harry said.

Ron and Hermione’s heads shot up.

–Harry,” Hermione gasped.

Harry pretended he hadn’t heard the shock in her voice as he sat next to Ron.

–Ready for more ridiculing from Snape today?” Ron asked.

–Snape’s comments are definitely not going to make today better,” Harry admitted.

That was the last thing he needed when his mind wouldn’t be in any of his classes today.

Hermione and Ron glanced over at each other.

–Oh, Harry,” Hermione sighed, wanting to reach over the table and take his hand.

Harry straightened up, cleared his throat, and took a bite of eggs.

–So, when’s McGonagall getting us?” he asked.

–During Potions,” Ron said.

Harry nodded and began eating again, wanting today to already be over with. Wouldn’t you if it had been a year since the person you loved had died?

AN:

This is completely AU and has nothing to do with the timeline in the books.