Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ways to Say Goodbye by LoonyLupin

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The night sky was rich with blue and black shades. It didn’t seem much different from other lovely nights. Yet Ted Tonks knew that nothing would be the same after this one. He’d been putting it off, but… it had to be done. His insides reached their final nerves. Do I really have to do this? He walked into the kitchen, and there she was, sitting down at the table. Andromeda. The love of his life. The mother of his child. He’d visited Dora earlier in the day to give her the news. Dora herself was going to be a mother in eight months. She’d cried non-stop, while Ted had fought to keep his own tears from falling.

Andromeda sensed his unease. –Is everything all right, Ted?”

He took a seat next to her and scratched his head to find the right words. –No. The Ministry’s after me. All because they believe it’s impossible for people from Muggle families to become witches and wizards, purely out of nowhere. They’re under the impression that I stole somebody’s magic. Can they really picture an eleven-year-old doing that? It’s madness! I was just a boy when Dumbledore told me that I was a wizard, so how did this idea pop into their heads?”

She shook her head. –Your guess is as good as mine. The whole thing is totally unjust.”

–It is,” Ted agreed grimly. –Which is why I have to fight them. If I go on the run, then I’m less likely to be found. There’s another boy, Dean Thomas, who’s Muggle-born. We made plans to meet tomorrow morning, and we’ll decide where to go from there.”

Andromeda gazed incredulously at her husband. –You’re leaving?”

Ted couldn’t bear to look into her midnight-colored eyes, not when she sounded so distraught. He reached out to take her hand. She didn’t let him touch her. –Yes. I have to,” he said. –I can’t sit back and let them take me to Azkaban for no good reason. Plus, it will keep you safe. Blood traitors aren’t nearly as wanted as Muggle-borns.”

Fresh tears ran down Andromeda’s face. –Ted, I’ve heard about the terrible things that have been happening. Won’t the Snatchers kill you if you get caught?”

–Maybe.” Finally facing that fact made him feel twice as anxious.

–And did the last thirty years we’ve had mean anything to you?” she asked dejectedly. –Did my sacrifice mean anything at all?” She headed outside before he could answer.

Ted knew better than to stay put, so he went after her. He found Andromeda staring at the stars in their backyard. Ted came up from behind and wrapped his arms around his wife.

–Dromeda, your sacrifice was unforgettable," he assured her. "Don't think for a second that I take it for granted. And you mean everything to me.”

She sniffed. –I know. I was being stupid. Of course you wouldn’t leave me by choice. I’m proud of you for defending your magic. It’s just… we’ve been through so much. How am I supposed to live without you?” She started sobbing uncontrollably.

He turned her around and placed his hands on her shoulders. –Look at me. Please don’t cry. This is going to be hard on both of us. But guess what? We still have until morning. Let’s make our last night together special.”

Andromeda wiped her eyes. Renewing her composure, she linked her arm through his. –You’re absolutely right, Ted.” They leaned on each other’s shoulders and went back inside to their bedroom.

Ted conjured up a blue fire in a glass jar, setting it on their bedroom nightstand. Apart from it, the room was dark. They sat down on the bed, still leaning into each other.

He spoke first. –I just want to say that the last-Whoa!”

She had taken him by the collar of his shirt and pulled him down onto the bed with her. –Stop talking and let me kiss you.” Andromeda pulled him closer so that their lips touched. –Like you said, we only have until morning. We could be here for a while.”

Ted traced a finger on her cheek and grinned. The only thing he wanted to do was give in to her, like he always did. –You know, you didn’t have to do that to persuade me. Take all the time you want.”

They kissed again, slowly. He ran his hands down her waist. She hummed contentedly as they fell deeper into their own little piece of paradise. In the blue firelight, two shadows melted into one.

The next morning

Ted woke up with a heavy heart to find Andromeda lying on his chest. Without any effort, she was simply breathtaking. Trying not to wake her, he stroked her wavy locks. She opened her eyes to look at him.

–Good morning,” she said in a low voice. –What a wonderful night we had yesterday.”

He kissed her neck in thanks. –Good morning. Andromeda Tonks, you’re so beautiful.”

–Time to get up. Dean Thomas will be nearby soon.” She kissed his forehead.

They got dressed and ate breakfast together in the kitchen while rain fell on the house in buckets. When they finished, Andromeda packed a bag full of food and other necessities.

–I don’t know how long you’ll be out there or where you’ll be going, but this should help,” she told Ted, handing him the bag. –Come back home as soon you as you can, dear.”

Ted slung the bag onto his back. –Thank you. I will.”

–And if you don’t?” He could tell she didn’t even want to think about that possibility, but she needed to ask. He would’ve done the same thing if their parts were reversed.

–Be sure to tell our grandchild all about me. Tell them how much their grandfather loves them.” Andromeda took another step towards him.

–I love you,” they said in unison. If they hadn't done so, it would've haunted Ted, and Andromeda, for an eternity. Some things you just can't go without saying.

He cupped her face in his hands. –Take care of yourself, darling.” Ted brought her lips to his and tried to savor the sweetness for as long as possible. Then he strolled out the door, into the pouring rain. Andromeda followed him to the bottom of the doorsteps and grabbed his hand.

–Ted!” She flung one arm around his neck and kissed him so passionately that his heart broke even more. He wondered, not for the first time in his life, Why couldn’t I have been born a pure-blood? This whole bloodline nonsense was unbearably cruel. He seized her waist, kissing her back with a fierceness that surprised him. They came together in a final embrace. Both of them were soaking wet, but neither of them cared.

She gave him a bittersweet smile. –Now I’ve said a proper goodbye.”

Both of them had tremendous difficulty letting go. If it were up to Ted, he and Andromeda would’ve stayed this way forever. Unfortunately, the time had come. He became too choked up for words. Ted turned to walk away, to face the unknown: life without her.

–Just remember, till you're home again,
You belong to me.”
Chapter Endnotes: Song lyrics are from "You Belong To Me" by Jason Wade, lead singer of Lifehouse. This song's on the soundtrack for Shrek.