Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I never thought you'd be in my life by Shells

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

The quote in the beginning is taken from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Prologue, Lines 1-14
Chapter Notes: The quote in the beginning of Chapter 1 is taken from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Prologue, Lines 1-14

The story starts out with an introduction to the main characters, as they are thrown into an undesirable situation.
‘Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean, From forth the fatal loins of these two foe, A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life; Whose misadventur'd piteous overthrows, Doth with their death bury their parents' strife.’ I read, trying to pass the time in Herbology. Muggle literature fascinates me, much more than any bubotubers that Professor Longbottom talks about. Sure, I have known him since I was young, but when he got started about plants… well it isn’t my cup of tea.

My muggle book lay sprawled across my lap, and my Herbology one lay on my desk, untouched. I slouched over, my hand twirling my fiery red hair.

–Miss Weasley, certainly we aren’t reading during class?” Professor Longbottom chuckled. My heart skipped a beat, as the class went silent and everyone turned to look at me. I nodded, closing my copy of Romeo & Juliet, feeling a blush creep up to my face. –Class dismissed!” he bellowed. The class, including Olivia Corner, my silken-haired Ravenclaw best friend, and Albus Severus Potter, one of my close friends and cousin, scurried from the room. I began to collect my books when Neville beckoned me to his desk.

–Rose, you’re named after a flower, you’d think you would be interested in Herbology!” Neville exclaimed exasperatedly. –Try and pay a bit more attention next time, I’m letting you off with a warning because your marks are so high. And tell your parents I say hello.”

–I will, Professor,” I smiled, leaving the room. I walked down the corridors, heading to the Great Hall. I could use a stroll after sitting for so long!

–Didn’t think we’d leave class without you, did you, Rosie?” Olivia and Albus laughed, appearing from seemingly nowhere, and fell into step with me. I could feel my lips curving upwards into a grin as we chatted. However, once I heard the commotion coming from the direction of the Great Hall, my smile fell into a deep frown.

–What do you think is going on?” I wondered aloud, racing into the forward with Olivia and Albus just behind me. They shrugged their shoulders, quickening their pace to keep up with my fast-flying feet.

–How dare you say that about my father!” a male voice exclaimed, sounding enraged. My blue eyes searched frantically among the crowd to place the voice, and finally, they settled on a blonde-haired, grey-eyed boy. It was Scorpius Malfoy, and he looked livid, which was rather strange, due to his usual cool and passive demeanor. Standing a few feet away from him stood Albus’ brother and my cousin, James. Speaking of which, where was Albus? And Olivia? I wondered, figuring I had lost them in the crowd.

–Say what? The truth?” James sneered. Before the last word had even escaped his mouth, Scorpius pounced.

–Stupefy!” he screamed, pointing his wand in James’ direction. James collapsed and he fell into a heap on the ground helplessly. He was sure to be embarrassed about this afterwards; imagine, a 5th year taking him off guard! I ran toward him, muttering the counterspell, ennervate. He rose from the ground, groaning.

–What do you think you’re doing?” I questioned, turning towards Scorpius. My heart was pounding and my adrenaline rushing. I was extremely angry at Malfoy for doing that to James - at the same time I knew James had a big mouth on him - what could he have possibly said to Scorpius to enrage him like this? Nonetheless, resorting to hexing was unacceptable-

–Expelliarmus!” James shouted, causing Scorpius’ wand to fly out of his hand and skid across the cold stone floor before he could answer me.

"STOP IT!" I screamed, panic-stricken. People were gathered around expecting a duel. And then Alessia White, one of the prefects for Slytherin house (who happened to be quite MEAN. Believe me, I’ve seen what she can do. It involved some first years, Peeves, some other things… you get the story.), jumped up from the growing crowd surrounding the fight and fired a hex in James' direction missing his head by inches. Instinctively, I fired back a hex. Chaos ensued, with spells flying everywhere. It was a full on battle and everyone wanted to join in!

–What is the meaning of this?” a voice boomed, echoing across the Hall. Headmistress McGonagall walked into the middle of the room, near where I was standing. Her shoes echoed as with each step; the once rowdy room had gone as silent as it have ever been.

–Mr. Malfoy, Mr. Potter, Miss Weasley, Miss White, see me NOW!” she declared, gesturing towards me and the rest group she had called so that we knew to follow her out of the room where we could be spoken to privately. Mom is going to kill me! I sighed inwardly. Damn it, James! I thought, I'm in trouble because of you - AGAIN!

–Don’t think the rest of you are getting off!" called McGonagall. "Everyone to their common rooms, I want them to be spotless. Without using magic! We’ll give the house elves a break.” She looked around the room at the rest of the bystanders, making sure to make eye contact with each one of them. Finally, Olivia caught my eyes, standing among the large group of the cleaning team, conveying that she wished me luck. I nodded grimly, hoping for only for a few detentions and not expulsion. I have my priorities straight.

We followed Headmistress McGonagall out into a private room, where she gestured for us to sit. I glared at Scorpius, making sure he knew exactly how I felt; this was all his and James' fault! James smiled reassuringly at me, but did not dare to talk; Alessia purposely avoided looking at me. That git! Why the hell did she butt in?! I sat on the plush red chair, glancing around the finely furnished room and at the rich paintings on the walls.

–I am very disappointed in you all! You are PREFECTS!" exclaimed McGonagall, looking very stern. I heard James mumble "I'm not." And apparently so did McGonagall, who shot him a look that shut his mouth up for good. "You should know your behavior in there is wrong and completely against school rules,” the headmistress continued, before a tall figure rushed into the room, slamming the door behind him.

–Oh, sorry Professor. I didn’t know that you were talking to the students,” Professor Longbottom explained, glancing at James and I worriedly.

–No need to apologize! Actually, maybe you should punish them… you heard the commotion in the Great Hall, right? I have some business to attend to and I can’t stay for much longer,” McGonagall stated, glancing at her pocket watch.

–Of course,” he replied as she left the room with a polite goodbye. He turned to face us before talking again. –So from what I gather, you four caused quite an uproar. Of course, I'm not surprised that YOU, played a role in this, Mr. Potter." He sighed, muttering something about "Potter and Malfoy," and screwed up his face. He seemed to be thinking hard. Finally he said, "I believe you each should get five detentions, and they will be joint with both Gryffindor and Slytherin members. You will have to complete your tasks by helping each other and by means teamwork. As a matter of fact….Rose, you’re a prefect for Gryffindor, right?”

I nodded, not sure where we was going with this. –And you, Scorpius and Alessia for Slytherin?” They nodded in unison, looking as confused as I felt. –Why don’t you all do your rounds together, the Gryffindor and Slytherin prefects?” As soon as he said it, I could feel my blood pressure rising. Work with THEM? –You’ll start your detentions and your new rounds tomorrow,” he declared. We started to protest. "I'm not hearing any of it!" said Professor Longbottom, firmly, "This silly rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor needs to end once and for all, and it shall start from now," he declared with finality.