Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never The Same by foreverandalways14

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks for reading! Reviewww :)
The days turned to weeks, and still no news from the school.

Finally, on a Monday, all the students received word from the school. Letters were flown to the homes of every student enrolled in the school, and read as follows;


Dear Student,

After the unfortunate passing of our Charms teacher, Professor Jamus, we closed the school while we conducted a search for his murderer. Even after these weeks of extensive searches, we have been unsuccessful in his capturing, and have chosen to reopen the school despite this. The Hogwarts Express will depart from King's Cross Station at precisely eleven o'clock on Friday, October 7. Please be there on time, and with all your class supplies in tow.

Thank you for your patience,

Professor Neville Longbottom, Deputy Headmaster


Albus Potter was splayed out on his bed when the school owl soared in through his open window to land on his dresser with a soft hoot, the letter in his beak. Albus leaped up with a cry of excitement and took the letter; the owl swooped out immediately after. Quickly scanning the letter, Albus hurried from his room and slid down the banister to the bottom floor.

–Mum! Mum!” he yelled as he hurled himself into the kitchen, waving the letter in the air. –Look at this! It's from the school!” Ginny was reading the Prophet at the table and looked up as her youngest son came in.

–Is the term beginning again?” she asked with a smile. –I suppose I could guess that from your mood.”

–It starts Friday!” he practically sang. –I have to talk to Rose!” Ginny waved her hand dismissively, and Albus crashed into the living room, tripped over the couch, and launched himself in front of the fireplace. Dipping his hand into the Floo Powder bucket, he tossed the dust into the already-crackling fire and shouted for Rose. Her room appeared in the fireplace, but he couldn't see her from his viewpoint (he knew she was in the room though, seeing as the picture came through).

–Rose!” he shouted, and her face appeared from around the side of the fireplace.

–Albus!” she exclaimed, dropping to her knees before him. –I take it you got the letter?”

–You bet I did!” he said excitedly. –Only Friday! Can you imagine how great it'll be to go back? I haven't seen Thomas, Alaina, or Scorpius since that day you all came here!” Rose grinned.

–Me either! All I've seen is your sorry mug for weeks and weeks!” she laughed, and he rolled his eyes.

–Oh you comedian,” he groaned. –I have to go pack!”

–Me as well,” Rose agreed. –I'll see you on Friday!”

~*~

The Potter family (minus Harry) strolled through the busy station at 10:50 a.m. that Friday, pushing their way through the throng of people. One by one, they raced at the barrier, Albus in the lead.

–Albus!” a voice cried, and suddenly Rose appeared out of nowhere, throwing herself at him in a hug. –It's about time you got here!”

–Rosie!” Albus practically choked as she wrung his neck. –Careful there! Seen Thomas, or Scorpius?”

–Aye, mate,” Scorpius laughed, slapping Albus on the back. –Where the bloody hell have you been? I've been trapped at my parents' house for weeks longer than I usually am, and I'm dying!”

–Good to see you too,” Albus goaded, elbowing Scorpius, who dodged with ease.

–Let's go ahead and get on, eh?” Scorpius suggested, leading his two friends through the crowd of families saying goodbye. –My parents just dropped me off, and Rose's parents had to leave, something important going on at the Ministry, apparently.”

–Right, right. And Thomas?” Albus glanced around the platform quickly, looking for the familiar head over the crowd.

–Already on board,” Rose smiled, grabbing Albus' arm. –You're so slow! Come on, come on!”

They bounded onto the train and followed Rose down the corridor until they found Alaina and Thomas in an empty compartment.

–There you are!” Albus patted Thomas on the shoulder and grinned at him. –Long time no see, mate.”

–Same to you, nerd,” Thomas said laughingly, prodding him on the arm with a broad smile. –How's it going?”

–Well enough,” Albus said as he sat down heavily next to Alaina, who shyly smiled at him.

Rose and Scorpius took their seats as well, and Thomas settled in to the seat closest to the door.

–Where've Lily and James gone?” Thomas inquired, leaning to look out the glass door. Albus frowned; he must have left them on the platform.

–Er. I'm sure they'll find us eventually.” The train began to roll into motion. Doors all along the corridor slammed shut, and an eerie silence fell over the train.

–The last time we were on this train-” Rose began, but Albus put up a hand to stop her. –What?”

–It doesn't do well to dwell on the past...” he said softly. –We can't linger on the... unfortunate event, Rosie.”

–Are we supposed to just forget him?” she snarled back, her eyes flashing suddenly.

–Did I say that?” he hissed. –No, no, I didn't. I only meant that we don't want to let this year go to waste... I miss him too, but we can't stay on this.”

–You jerk!” Lily cried as she and James stormed into the compartment, her lips pursed in a frown. –Why'd you take off like that?”

–And where's your little brother, Rose? Are you not keeping up with him?” James asked as he sat beside Albus on his other side, closest to the window. Lily sat awkwardly next to Thomas, who raised an eyebrow.

–He ran off when we arrived with Alexa and Trevor Jamison, and that other boy, was it Ryan?” Rose explained. James nodded and turned to stare out at the quick moving landscape.

The conversation moved topics easily to the newest Quidditch season, the argument from earlier easing into the backs of all their minds. James and Rose were two of three Chasers on the Gryffindor team; the other was a sixth year boy named Peter Hugh. The two Beaters were Fred Weasley (another of Albus and Rose's cousins, in his seventh year), and Dylan Wry, another sixth year. Fred actually happened to be Captain, and had a pretty strict training schedule. Everyone had judged him to begin with for putting mostly family on his team, but the judgments went away when everyone saw how well they played.

The light outside changed to dusk, and the train began to slow; they had reached the station. The seven of them leaped off the train and pushed their ways through the crowds of people. James broke off quickly, though, to speak with another of his friends. The six remaining got into a carriage and rode up the path to the castle in silence.

Squares of light shone on the walkway as they made their way up to the school. The hall was quiet, and the six took their seats, three on either side of the table.

–Sit down,” Professor McGonagall said from the front of the room. –Please, all of you.” The most absolute silence fell then, everyone having hurried into the Hall to hear what was to be said.

–Another welcome to you all... It was on depressing terms we left each other weeks ago. The loss of our Charms teacher, Professor Jamus, has placed a heavy weight on all our hearts.” A choked sob rang through the hall, and then there was the scraping of chair legs as a third year girl hurried out of the hall. McGonagall continued again. –However, we must remain united as a school. His murderer, Ian Zabini, has yet to be discovered, though it is incredibly unlikely that he hides within the grounds or school.”

–As a slightly off-topic note, the election of a Charms teacher is one reason the break lasted as long as it did. But we were luckily able to find one on such short notice. So, without further ado, allow me to introduce Professor Dianna Bulburry.” McGonagall gestured behind her to the staff table where a tall woman with startling blonde hair and big eyes now stood, waving solemnly at the resigned applause she received.

–Classes shall resume as normal on Tuesday,” she said now. –I certainly hope you all finished your homework.” There was some squirming as students glanced at each other with grimaces. –Thank you. And now, dinner.” She waved her hand, and a meal appeared before the students.

~*~

–Night Albus,” Rose murmured as she waved her cousin up the stairs. –See you in the morning.”

–See you, Rosie,” Albus yawned. –You coming, Scorp?”

–I'll be up in a second,” Scorpius promised. –I need to get my books put back in my bag.” He turned to the table the four of them had just vacated, and with a final nod, Albus turned and went up the staircase. Peeking over the landing at the top, he watched Scorpius approach Rose, leaning down to talk to her closely. It didn't come as much of a surprise to Albus when he saw Scorpius close that small distance between them and kissed Rose on the mouth. Albus was actually quite okay with it; it'd been obvious since their second year they had feelings for each other.

Feeling slightly guilty, Albus ducked into his dormitory and closed the door quietly, the only sound a small click as the door latched into place.
Chapter Endnotes: Review!