Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never The Same by foreverandalways14

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hi guys! Sorry this one is soooo short, but I had to cut it off. I can't really explain why without giving a bunch away!
Alaina and Lily were removed from the school three weeks after Lea was put into hiding, as were Alex Thomas and another boy, Robert Jacobs, all because they had connections to Lea's family.

–Why are we not removed?” Thomas asked one Saturday while they were all seated in the common room, staring at the fire, only the four of them. –We're connected to Lily and Alaina, who are connected to Lea.”

–I suppose because their connections are closer to the source,” Scorpius said around Rose, who hadn't seemed to leave his side for weeks.

–I miss them,” Albus piped up softly. There was a collective murmur of agreement.

–And did you hear?” Rose said quietly, shifting slightly on Scorpius' lap. –There were other students taken as well. A boy in Slytherin, Xavier Parkinson, his parents actually turned up dead. And the Rivers triplets, in Ravenclaw, were taken.”

–Really?” Thomas couldn't have pictured a worse way for this year to go: first a professor was murdered, and they had yet to catch his killer; then his sister and her closest friend were taken out of school and into hiding; and now there were two more deaths, plus who knew how many more? Could they all be connected?

–Have they any idea who's behind them?” Scorpius asked curiously, his eyebrows furrowed.

–Well, they've mentioned Zabini multiple times, according to the letters Dad's sent me,” Albus explained. –The Auror office is all over the cases, got the whole squad out looking for the killers and kidnappers.”

–Well that's good, isn't it?” Thomas said hopefully. –Maybe they'll catch 'em soon, and Lily and Alaina and those other kids can come back.”

–They haven't had a lot of luck though, is the problem. They've been looking all over, and there's no traces. Whoever's behind it is very, very good.” Rose's tone was grim. Scorpius leaned forward slightly and whispered something in her ear, and she sighed and rested her head on his shoulder.

Classes were continued almost normally, if you ignored the fact that most teachers ended up leaving the room for one security thing or another at least once per class. The homework, of course, remained heavy as ever. The gang often spent late nights (and early mornings) in the common room, sluggishly trying to complete homework due the next day. More than once, they went to bed at nearly four a.m., so they were often slow to respond throughout the day.

–This is crap,” Thomas finally declared as they tossed aside their books one night. It was about twelve-thirty, and they were all yawning and smacking their lips and nodding slowly to sleep, only to be snapped awake by one of the others.

–You got that right, mate,” Scorpius agreed, hiding a yawn behind his hand. –I'm going to bed.”

–Right behind you,” Albus muttered, dragging his bag across the floor and up the staircase. –Night.” Rose, seated beside Scorpius, smiled softly as he kissed her forehead lightly.

–I'm going to stay up a bit longer,” she informed him, flipping a page in her Charms textbook. –I would really like to have this essay done, it's due early tomorrow. Professor Bulburry will have my head if it's late, she's taken to me in a weird way.” He nodded sleepily and retired upstairs himself, leaving only Thomas and Rose.

–How are you two holding up?” Thomas finally asked through the almost silence, besides the scratching of Rose's quill. –You and Scorpius.”

–What?” she asked, jerking her head up as if shocked. –Oh. We're good, he's a sweetheart, and I care a lot about him.” Thomas nodded, his nose twitching slightly. He felt as if they'd all felt something for Rose at one point, even Albus, though he knew he could never act on it since she was his cousin and all. It just sucked for Thomas that he fell for her again once she and Scorpius started dating. –Are you alright?”

–Yeah, I'm fine,” he said in a thick voice. He slammed his book shut. –I think I'm going to follow their examples and hit the bed too.”

–Well, alright. Goodnight.” He nodded stiffly and got to his feet, leaving her staring after him, jaw agape.

~*~


The next day brought more surprises, mostly to Thomas. They were at breakfast when, shockingly, Harry Potter, Albus' father, came striding into the hall, looking around almost in awe.

–Dad?” Albus gasped as his father reached them. –Why are you here?” His father looked uncomfortable as he leaned down to hug his son.

–Hi Albus,” he said weirdly. –I wish I could tell you more, but I've come to bring Thomas with me.”

–Me?” Thomas questioned, raising his eyebrow and getting to his feet. –Why me?”

–Can't divulge that here, son, but I'll explain it all once we get out.” Albus frowned up at his dad.

–How many more are going to be taken, Dad?” he asked softly. Harry's face twitched, but he didn't reply to his question.

–I'll see you at Christmas, Albus,” he said, ruffling his hair and pulling Thomas with him out of the hall. The entire exchange was watched by the students in the hall, and the whispers started up after he had left.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! REVIEW.