Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never The Same by foreverandalways14

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey hey :D This one's quite long, to make up for the last chapter. It's also chock-full of some interesting info *wiggles eyebrows*. Hope you enjoy!
–Why the hell did they take Thomas?” Rose raged that evening in the common room, where the three seemed to be spending most of their time. The other students left them alone, seeing as they were among the most popular in the school (this meant nothing to them of course) and also often quite angry about one thing or another. –He's hardly connected to them at all!”

–Sit down, love, you're making me nervous,” Scorpius said distractedly. She fixed him with a glare reminiscent of a young Hermione, and he held up his hands in surrender. –Sorry.”

–I need some air,” she growled, turning to Albus. –Can I use your cloak and map, Albus?” Harry had passed down the Invisibility Cloak, along with the Marauders' Map, to Albus in their second year, and he used it every so often to sneak into the kitchens after Quidditch games or to get out on the grounds in the evenings. She needed it for the latter right now; she felt like her head was spinning, and she was angry and felt completely isolated from the others.

–I suppose,” he said sadly, and he went upstairs to grab them. When he returned, he held them back for a moment. –Don't do anything stupid, alright?”

–It's me, Albus,” she grinned without much humor, taking the cloak and map.

–I'm coming too,” Scorpius decided, getting up from his relaxed position on the sofa.

–No thanks,” Rose said in a voice that was too close to cold, and he slowly sat in his seat again.

–Be careful.” She shrugged and walked out of the portrait hole, the other students in the silent room watching her go.

~*~

Rose managed to actually sneak out the front doors that evening, as the caretaker, Mr. Forre, had somehow managed to leave them open. She wandered down to the lake under concealment of the cloak, but removed it once she got on the shore, sitting down heavily on a large rock. The full moon reflected eerily on the still water, as did the sparkling stars.

She knew the events of recent were entwined, and she was positive that Zabini had something to do with them. Her thoughts on Thomas were still uncertain, but she believed he was removed for reasons besides Lea's family. Professor Longbottom, she had noticed, was also mysteriously absent. Perhaps something had happened to Luna.

A branch snapped behind her in a small cropping of trees, and she whipped around, but saw nothing; the area beneath the treetops was shrouded in darkness. Slowly, she faced out to the water again. Probably some sort of animal. She watched as a tentacle leaped from the water, glinting in the moonlight, and then splashed back down.

Crack! This time when she turned, she saw a human form approaching her, and she leaped to her feet and backed towards the water, her wand in her hand and the cloak abandoned on the rock.

–Show yourself!” she cried, her voice surprisingly steady. The person stepped forward into the light of the moon, revealing Ian Zabini. He was dirty, his hair matted with leaves and twigs and his clothes ripped and muddy. –Zabini!”

–You'd be smart to hold your tongue,” he hissed, slithering towards her. She felt frozen, her wand hand quaking. She wondered why she didn't cast a spell to halt him. Before she could do anything, though, he knocked her wand from her hand and slammed her into the ground. He was two years older than she and a whole lot stronger. He leaned over her face, sneering and breathing disgustingly on her skin. His hands were tight on her wrists, pressing hard against her muscles and bones. –I've got plans for you.”

–Let me go!” she whimpered, trying to kick him. She was unable to, as he had her leg pinned under his.

–I don't think so, beautiful,” he drawled, twirling her hair around his finger. –If you tell anyone that you've seen me, I'll kill you while you sleep.” She nodded hurriedly, her heart rate picking up; she knew he could feel it, their chests touching. –You're afraid? Good, you should be.” He leaned down and slammed his mouth against hers; he tasted like grass and sweat and something else she didn't want to place. He was doing it to get inside her mind, to make her freak out, and he knew he was succeeding.

–I'll be seeing you again soon,” he whispered, getting off her and stepping on her hand as he went. –Whoops.” He disappeared into the swirling shadows of the night.

Rose curled up there, on the rocky shore of the black lake, and sobbed quietly into her hands until she fell into a nightmare-infested sleep.

~*~

Rose woke up to shouts in her face. Her sand-crusted eyes twitched open and the first thing she saw was Scorpius, kneeling in the water beside her with her wand in one hand and the Invisibility Cloak in the other. The clothes she wore were wet; the waves must have soaked her while she slept. When Scorpius saw her eyes flicker, he barreled forward and enveloped her in his arms. A loud tut, tut interrupted them, and they broke apart to look up at Professor McGonagall, her expression grim.

–Ms. Weasley,” she sighed with disappointment. –I had really hoped the trouble-making ended with your parents.” She tweaked a small grin that lasted about two seconds. –Why were you out of the castle, and sleeping on the shore of the Black Lake?”

–Professor, I-” she began, but choked with a sob and fell forward onto her elbows. She heard Scorpius gasp as he saw the marks on her wrists.

–Professor, she must have met someone out here, look at her wrists,” he said quietly.

–Who did you see, Rose?” McGonagall asked, crouching before her. She shook her head, still face down, and let out another body-wracking cry. –I need you to tell me!”

–No, no, I can't,” she moaned, and she passed out there.

~*~

–Rosie, sweetheart,” a soft voice said, and Rose's eyes opened again. She saw her mother and father, seated on either side of her... bed? Yes, it was a bed. Her memory came flooding back; she had fainted. They must have moved her into the Hospital Wing and called her parents here. It was her mother who had spoken, and her mother who flung herself to her. –Oh my sweet girl, are you okay?”

–Mum?” she said groggily, inhaling the fresh scent of her mother's lilac shampoo. –Oh, Mum.” She cried into her shoulder for a few minutes, her sobs the only sound in the large, mostly-empty hall.

They heard another choked sound, and both looked to Ron, Rose's father. He was obviously trying not to cry. Rose stretched her hand to him and he took it and smiled tearfully.

–What happened, Rosie?” he asked her quietly. –The boy, Scorpius Malfoy, told us he and Professor McGonagall found you, asleep, on the shore of the Black Lake.” Hermione sat back in her chair again as Rose hung her head.

–I left the school to get some fresh air, Albus loaned me his cloak and map.” Her parents gave each other knowing looks. –And I sat on the shore for a bit. Then I fell asleep.” Her lie was obvious.

–And the marks on your wrists?” Hermione inquired carefully.

–Erm,” she muttered. –I can't tell you.”

–Why not?” Ron asked, his voice rising with anger. –If you met someone out by the lake and they left bruises on your wrists, then we need to know who it was.”

–I can't tell you!” she cried out, covering her face with her hands. –I can't tell anyone, or I'll be dead!” Footsteps echoed in the hall, and she looked up from her useless sobbing to see Scorpius, his face void of expression.

–We have to go speak with Professor McGonagall,” her mother said abruptly, stooping to kiss Rose's forehead as Scorpius had done only last night, before forcing her father to follow her from the wing. Scorpius moved beside her bed, taking her hand between his. He ran his thumb lightly over the bruises, and she winced slightly.

–Sorry,” he whispered. His mouth was a thin line.

–What is it?” she whispered back, her breath short. –You look like you're thinking about something bad.”

–It was Zabini you saw, wasn't it?” Her lack of an answer confirmed it. –Thought so. There's... something you have to know... about him.” Her heart started beating angrily again. What could possibly be so important?

–Go on,” she urged him.

He sighed deeply, drawing breath from the recesses of his lungs. –I stay at my grandfather's home during the summers, with my mother and father.” Rose nodded; she knew this. –And sometimes, my grandfather has... people over. Bad people.” Rose's nose twitched without her realizing it. What was he saying? –Like Zabini and his father, Blaise. And... others. Death Eaters.” He said the last words at an almost silent whisper. Rose shook her head viciously; it wasn't true. –Babe, my father doesn't take part in them, I don't think, nor my mother. But my grandfather has tried to make me attend. I refuse, I always refuse.” Rose's mind was spinning; what did this mean? Was Lucius trying to reform the Death Eaters?

–I have to tell someone,” she muttered, swinging her legs off the bed on the side opposite of Scorpius. She was in a hospital gown, but it was fully concealing and comfortable. Ignoring Scorpius' protests, she padded from the hall, barefoot. She knew that her family would be in Headmistress' office, so she headed there. Scorpius didn't try to follow her.

When she got there, the way up was locked, so she sat before the staircase on the cold stone floor to wait.

Finally, voices drifted out to her, and her parents and Professor McGonagall came down, then stopped when they saw her.

–Rose Weasley!” McGonagall cried in shock. –Why did you leave the Hospital Wing unaccompanied?” She got to her feet.

–I need to talk to you, Dad,” she said, ignoring McGonagall, something she never did, –and Uncle Harry.” There was a slight raising of eyebrows at this, but no argument. All three turned on their heels and, beckoning to her, stepped back onto the staircase. She leaped on as well, just as it began to ascend. When they reached the top, McGonagall stooped by the fire and threw in some Floo Powder, then shouted the name –Harry Potter.” It showed Grimmauld Place, which Harry and Ginny had cleaned up well and decided to use as their home. Harry was seated on the couch, reading the Daily Prophet, but looked up at the roar of the fire.

–Minerva!” he shouted in surprise, launching himself over an armchair and crouching before the fireplace. –And is that Hermione and Ronald I see? And Rose?” His expression switched from joyful surprise to barely masked curiosity. –Why the serious faces?”

–Do you think you could come to here, Harry?” McGonagall said in a flat voice. Realizing a problem, Harry stepped into the green fire, then circled into the fireplace of Hogwarts, coughing.

–I really do hate traveling by Floo Powder,” he sighed. –What's the problem?” Rose had taken a seat in one of McGonagall's overstuffed armchairs, her face drained of color. –Rose?”

–You and Dad are Aurors, Uncle Harry, so there're things you can do, right?” she said sheepishly. Half-smiling, Harry nodded, bending beside Rose; Ron followed suit. –There's something you two have to know, about Lucius Malfoy.” Harry's eyebrow raised high on his forehead.

–Lucius?” he said in a surprised tone. –What about him? I haven't heard of him in years.”

–I'm... dating Scorpius,” she said, ignoring the shocked expressions on her family's faces. –and he's told me something, something important.”

–Well don't beat around the bush, Rosie, tell us,” Ron urged, deciding to skip over relationship until later and trying to keep his face as passive as possible.

–He said that his grandfather still has people around their manor,” she explained softly. –Bad people. Blaise and Ian Zabini, along with others. Death Eaters.” The way she spoke mimicked the tone Scorpius had spoken with.

–I want Scorpius Malfoy brought here now,” Harry commanded of McGonagall, and the Headmistress nodded and hurried from the room. –Expecto Patronum!” Harry cast his Patronus, and a large silvery stag erupted from the end of his wand. –Discovered information of Death Eater action, currently at Hogwarts. Send one or two more Aurors.” He whispered something else, and the stag galloped away, out the door of the office. Ron was cursing loudly, back on his feet again. Hermione just looked shock, staring slack-jawed at her daughter, who was refusing to look in her eyes.

The door banged open, and Professor McGonagall forced Scorpius to sit in the chair alongside Rose's. She avoided his eyes as well.

–Scorpius Malfoy,” Harry said, leaning down in front of him. –Rose here has told us some interesting news about your family. Care to elaborate?”

Gulping, Scorpius squared his shoulders. –I have nothing to be ashamed of, I have done nothing, and I don't mind getting my family in trouble,” he said in a quivering voice. –My grandfather Lucius often has groups of people to his manor in the summer when we visit, people like Zabini and Vincent Crabbe and his son, Rowyn, who's in Slytherin here, seventh year.” Harry nodded, writing down things on a pad of paper. –My grandfather's tried to make me join them, but I never do, but I do eavesdrop. They do intend to reform the Death Eaters and uphold Voldemort's old ways, killing and slaughtering and wrecking havoc. Professor Jamus was a Muggle-Born, wasn't he?”
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! (I have some kind of premonition that ron was meant to have been co-working at WWW with George, but I decided to make him an Auror anyways!) AS ALWAYS REVIEW THIS NOW, I COMMANDITH THOU.