Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never The Same by foreverandalways14

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Gosh, it's been a while!!! I submitted the chapter a while ago, but it was screwy and was denied, so I like, went back and completely redid it. Sorry it's quite short.
Albus was curled up in an armchair in the Gryffindor Common Room, waiting for some kind of news about Rose. It was about 5:30 p.m., and soon he'd be forced to head to dinner with no news at all. Just as he decided to stand up, though, the portrait hole swung open to reveal his father and his Uncle Ron. The other kids (most of the House) in the Common Room gaped at them, seeing as they were among two of the most famous wizards. Upon spotting his son leaning over the back of his chair, Harry waved, which Albus returned half-heartedly.

–Hello, you all,” Harry said in a loud voice. –Gosh, it feels weird to be back in here after some twenty-odd years.” Ron nodded agreeably beside him, looking around. –We've come to make an announcement on behalf of the Ministry and the school.”

–As I'm sure you're all aware, a professor was murdered here by a young boy named Ian Zabini,” Ron spoke up. There were some dark mutterings at the name. –We've decided that, for the safety of you all, and in the honor of full disclosure, it's better we give you all the truth on the situation.”

–An alliance of Death Eaters has begun to form again,” Harry said next, his last words almost drowned out by cries and shouts of fear from the students. –Quiet, please!”

–To maintain a good environment,” Ron shouted over the slowly decreasing noise, –the school will remain opened until further notice.”

–We will be placing Aurors in the school and on the grounds to protect the students and faculty,” Harry explained. –They will be here, around the clock, on an assigned rotation. Thank you, and I suggest you all go back to your homework or whatever it was you were doing.” He gave them a knowing smile as he and Ron turned to leave.

–Dad!” Albus yelped, barreling out of his seat and after his father and uncle. They turned back right outside the portrait, which Albus followed them out of and closed behind him. –Where's Rose? And Scorpius?” Ron and Harry glanced at each other.

–Well, Rose is currently resting in the hospital wing,” Harry said slowly. –And Scorpius...”

–Yes?” Albus urged when his father paused his sentence. –Has he been hurt? Am I able to talk to him?”

–He's currently under investigation,” Harry said finally. Albus looked shocked.

–But why?!” Albus cried. –He has nothing to do with the Death Eaters! He never would join them, ever!”

–Albus, Albus, calm down,” Harry hissed, crouching before his son. –He's not under suspicion of taking part in the Death Eaters' plans, but he is a witness to their meetings and such and can possibly give us inside information about their plots.” Albus nodded and hugged his father. –Don't worry, son, I'll be around. As Head of the Auror Office, I'll be remaining here for a good while, until things settle down again. Professor McGonagall is going to give me a room here to help keep an eye out.”

–Your mother's going to stay with Hermione and I while Harry's here,” Ron piped up.

–And if you'd like,” Harry added, –you can go visit Rosie in the hospital.” Nodding, Albus hugged his uncle as well, fleetingly, then tore off in the direction of the hospital wing.”
~*~
–Albus!” Rose exclaimed as Albus bounded into the Wing. –I was wondering when you were going to come visit me on my sickbed.”

–Sorry,” he sighed, taking the seat on the left of her bed. –We weren't allowed to leave the Common Room.”

–Really?” she said with a tone of surprise. –Hugo was just in here, but he left to go down to eat dinner.”

–Maybe it's cause he's your brother?” Albus said sarcastically, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

–Don't tease me,” she said with a small smile.

–So are you going to tell me what happened to you?” he inquired, scooting closer to her. Her face fell.

–I can't tell anyone,” she whispered, gathering her covers in her fists. Albus glanced at her wrists, then did a double take.

–Are those... hand marks?” he cried, getting to his feet and standing beside her. –Did you see someone while you were out there?” She burst into tears.

–It was Zabini, Albus,” she gasped. –And now he's going to kill me because I wasn't supposed to tell.” She leaned over and sobbed. Unsure of what he was supposed to do, he wrapped his arm around her quaking shoulder, and she rested her cheek on his chest. The doors of the Hospital banged open, revealing the rest of their extended family, undoubtedly to give their sympathies to Rose.

Albus sat back down in his chair with a sigh as the scarily-large group of family spoke to Rose, who had hidden her hands under her blankets; it was going to be a very long evening.
~*~
Scorpius returned to his classmates sooner than expected, only a day after he was taken. He and Albus sat up late in the Common Room the night he was released to discuss happenings.

–How come you never spoke up before?” Albus said, close to livid. Scorpius gave him a glare.

–I didn't make much out of it.” He leaned forward and folded his hands in his lap, his jaw hard. –My grandfather is a loser, just like my father. They were both completely disgraced when the war ended. Allowed to remain out of Azkaban, obviously, but still disliked. I didn't think that Lucius would ever be able to make anything happen again.”

–But he obviously has,” Albus pointed out. –and he has Zabini and his dad on his side, plus who knows how many others?” His fist flexed nervously.

–I know, I know.” Scorpius buried his face in his hands. –And my girlfriend's been harmed because of it. How can I stop hating myself for not telling anyone?” Albus grimaced, reached out to pat his friend on his shoulder.

–They're your family mate, whether you like them or not. You probably feel at least a tiny obligation to 'em. But what matters is that you told Rose, who was able to get it to my father and her father.” He smiled, and Scorpius lifted just his eyes from his hands.

–I suppose so.” His eyes crinkled. –I want Rose to come back.”

–Me too,” Albus sighed, leaning back in his chair. –Me too.”

And she did come back, though not as soon as expected. She went home for a week to be with her parents and aunt, to rest up and get back into a good mind set. When she returned, she was quiet often, and only spoke to teachers and, less often, Albus and Scorpius.

Finally, when Albus and Rose sat down together in the Great Hall for dinner, while Scorpius was assisting Professor Bulburry with sorting books, Albus pounced on her.

–You can't ignore us, Rose,” Albus told her. She glanced at him from staring at her potatoes, looked away again.

–I'm not trying to ignore you,” she said softly. –I'm just... tired, and nervous, and worried. I'm so afraid that Ian will show up again.” Albus deflated, any anger he was feeling melting away.

–Rose...” He said, resting his hand on her arm. She faced him, her blue eyes already swimming with tears. –We're both worried for you, Scorpius and I. You've withdrawn into yourself, and I just don't think it's safe. You've become a shell, and I'm scared you're just going to break soon.” His eyebrow went up comically. –And Scorpius is just horny with longing for you.” She couldn't help but chuckle at his unexpected comment.

–Thank you, Albus,” she murmured, smiling for the first time in weeks. –I'll try to be better. Just don't let me wander off on my own again, alright?” Albus nodded and returned her smile, relieved.

–You're going to have to say something big to Scorpius, I might add,” he said to her, stirring up his small bowl of stew. –He's worried you want to break up with him.” Her mouth set into a line, and her eyes widened a bit. –You don't, do you...?” He ate a spoonful of his food.

–Well,” she muttered, poking her steak with her fork. –I was considering it.” Albus choked, coughing vigorously. Rose looked shocked for a moment before he sat up again, eyes watering with pain.

–You're joking!” he cried, rubbing his eyes.

–He kept it from me, Albus!” she whimpered. –He could have told us about his granddad anytime in the last four years, and he didn't! He endangered all by keeping it to himself, and he bloody well knows it! I mean, I lo-” She blinked, then pushed on. –I love him, but I don't know if I can trust him now.” Albus frowned.

–It's up to you,” he amended. –But I hope you know it's going to kill him.”
Chapter Endnotes: review, guys, you know the rule. :)