Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Snape's Son by FearlessFlyer

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Many thanks to my clever beta, Padfoot11333.

I don't presume to be JK Rowling. She owns it all.




The war had been over for more than twenty years. The wizarding world had been peaceful for the longest time since anyone could remember, and all was well. Despite that, those who had been alive during those chaotic and dangerous times could not dismiss the fact that no family had been spared the effects or consequences of what had taken place. Many were left without a family member to speak of, and numerous blended families had been created out of necessity. Older witches and wizards well into their retirement years had stepped in to raise their children’s children or those of others. Some of the young people had married knowing that their first choice of a partner had been irrevocably taken away, with others choosing to not marry at all. And perhaps hardest hit of all were the unfortunate orphans who grew up never knowing what might have been or who their families even were.

Twenty-one-year-old Liam Snape could have very well been one of those orphans. Yet here he was on a bright September day, meeting his parents and siblings at King’s Cross Station to see his youngest sister off to her first year at Hogwarts. Not only were his brothers and sister starting a new school year, but Liam himself would be joining them as he began an internship under Felicia Morton, the school's Potions Mistress.

Liam was very tall, thin and black-haired. His features, though somewhat reminiscent of his biological father’s, had been softened both by the combination of his mother’s genes and growing up as part of a happy, loving family.

Liam Snape had been raised by Harry and Ginny Potter.

No one could have been more taken aback than Harry had been the day he had received the owl from the Department of Magical Legal Affairs informing him that he had been selected as the guardian of Severus Snape’s son. The boy himself was a mystery; no one could give Harry any information about the child's mother or whether she and Snape had even been married.

It had not been the best of situations for anyone. The baby had been living with his Muggle-born grandmother. She had tried as best she could, but the trauma of the war and grief over her daughter’s death left her with little emotional resources to take care her grandson. Finally, when the older woman had chosen to spend more of her time involved in the Muggle world, Harry had been given full custody of baby Liam.

After the first night of simply sitting together in shell-shocked silence, Harry and his fiancee Ginny had spent the next several evenings making plans and discussing the changes that would have to take place in their lives due to the impending arrival of the baby. The young couple had moved up their wedding date and had also made arrangements with Ginny's mother to help with some of the childcare duties.

–Snape is probably laughing his head off wherever he is right now,” Harry had said wryly, shaking his head and running his hand through his more than usually disordered hair. –His last revenge from the grave - seventeen years of detentions - and I’m willing to bet anything that this little git will be a handful.”

What a surprise it had been then for Harry and Ginny when they had been presented with the solemn, black-haired toddler who seldom cried, barely spoke, and never laughed.

Ginny had grown up with enough exposure to young children that she knew what was in store for them; Harry had no experience whatsoever. Molly Weasley had been a great help in coming up with ideas so that between the two of them they could put together a daily routine appropriate for a two-year-old. –But as for the rest, you’re going to have to wing it,” she had told the young couple.

As it had turned out, Ginny had been able to successfully wing it right away. Her personality, being the kind that drew others into her orbit, was well suited to her task. Ginny exhibited a kind and loving demeanour, which had resulted in a strong attachment being formed between her and little Liam very quickly. As the weeks and months had gone by, Ginny’s relationship with the little boy had steadily grown, and she had been delighted as she watched Liam’s personality to begin to emerge. Even his first acts of babyish mischief and naughtiness had been almost welcomed as confirmation that Liam had felt secure in the Potter home.

Harry’s emotions had involved more than his lack of experience with children. His initial response was due to the fact that he had to do the right thing, and had been the result of his final understanding of Severus Snape, but Harry knew that he had only agreed to the care of the child stemming from a sense of duty. He had struggled with the fact that his relationship with Snape had been one that ranged from antipathy to out and out hatred.

Something in him had changed upon meeting the child. Here was an orphan, much as Harry had been, on the brink of what looked close to being put into the identical situation that he had grown up with. Harry had never forgotten what it had been like being an unloved, unwanted burden in the home of his aunt and uncle. His own experience had definitely not been something he would have recommended as ideal for any child. So, Harry had taken Ginny’s lead and tried to relate in a positive way to Liam, regardless of whom his father had been.

–He really can be a cute little chap,” Harry had admitted to Ginny during an afternoon excursion to a park. He and Ginny had walked arm in arm along the path, savouring the closeness, as Liam meanwhile had made little trips off into the grass to pick up colourful leaves and other interesting objects. –I think I’m ready to spend some time with him alone, but I still don’t really know what to do with him.”

–Play with him,” Ginny had told him. –All little boys like to play.”

–But how do I know what he likes? He doesn’t even talk!”

That question had been answered soon afterwards. Liam, having spent the first part of his life with practically no exposure to the wizarding world, was fascinated by anything having to do with magic. Harry found that performing simple charms or bewitching a toy could coax a shy smile or giggle from Liam. Liam’s first full sentence had been duly and proudly noted by Ginny in his baby book: –Wee-um want Daddy do magic!”

It had been Harry’s idea that the boy would be taught to call them –Mum” and –Dad” rather than –Harry” and –Ginny.”

–This way he won’t feel as if he is being treated differently than any other children we may have,” Harry had said. He had made sure that Liam had never felt unwanted, even after the arrivals of two brothers and an eagerly awaited baby sister. And looking back as the years had gone by, Harry had realized one day that he could not even pinpoint the exact time when Liam had ceased to be Snape's son and had become his own.

Then the teen years had arrived, bringing with them height and spots and a bit of pulling back on Liam’s part. Ginny, remembering her own adolescence well, had not been overly concerned. Liam had never been sullen or surly, and though his sense of humour was on the sarcastic side he never said things to purposely hurt or be cruel. Harry had been worried more about his own reactions to these changes and the ghosts from his past that they might resurrect. There had been more than just a few times when he had done a double take after catching Liam’s tall figure out of the corner of his eye or had heard him occasionally growl in his new, deep voice at his younger brothers when they had been especially annoying.

Not surprising anyone, Liam had not excelled in the athletic pursuits the rest of the family loved with a passion. Ginny had been a bit worried that her eldest son, though possessing passable flying skills, had not voluntarily chosen Quidditch as a favourite recreational activity but preferred books and music from the time he was small. Once again it had been Harry, drawing from the heart-breaking experiences of his early years, who had made sure that Liam did not feel the painful ostracizing that often comes with being different. Over the years Harry’s encouragement of his foster son’s abilities and strengths had helped Liam to securely cement his place in the family, different or not. So it could be said that Ginny’s gift to Liam was his spirit, but it was Harry who helped him find his unique voice.




Liam was not going to join his siblings on the Hogwarts Express. After a quick stop at his old flat to collect some belongings, he planned on Apparating into Hogsmeade in order to be at school before the students arrived.

–I wish you had taken more time to get ready,” Ginny sighed. Liam had spent the summer traveling with his friend Teddy Lupin and had just returned from visiting with his biological grandmother. –Are you sure that you have everything that you need?”

–I wish all the female members of my family would just calm down and stop worrying,” Liam told her, smiling. –I’ll be fine, mum, really, but you should have seen the things Gran tried to give me as I was leaving. And Nana Molly hasn’t stopped going on about how excited she is that I'm an intern at Hogwarts. If I do end up becoming a professor, I'll have not just made her year, but perhaps her entire life.”

Harry, laughing, caught Ginny’s eye. –Try to cut Nana a little slack. It’s just the way grandparents behave when good things happen to their grandchildren.”

–I know, Dad,” said Liam. –But it doesn’t mean that I’m going to let them ‘decorate’ my office.”

–Both your grandmothers love it when they can do things for you that make them a part of your life,” noted Ginny.

–Well then, why don’t I just let them both in and have a go,” said Liam, rolling his eyes. –Gran will want to put up some of her Muggle artwork, and while I’m at it I might as well let Nana Molly carry on and supply me with knitted tea cosies with cauldrons on them.” Harry and Ginny smiled and Lily giggled. –I’ll be the laughing-stock of entire the school!”

James and Albus remained on the platform, torn between the desire to join their friends on the train and wanting to be seen with the cool new teacher.

–Remember what we talked about at home.” Harry said this as a reminder to both boys, although his eyes focused on James. –Good attitudes from you, no trying to get special favours for you and your mates.”

–No problem! Don’t forget that Liam was a Prefect when I was an ickle firstie,” James teased, elbowing a glowering Lily in the ribs. –I never tried to get special favours,” he continued with a smirk.

–Give over, you know you’re a liar, James,” snorted Albus, who at thirteen still harboured a bit of hero-worship for his much older foster brother. –I know that you tried to keep Liam from taking points from you because Mum and Dad said they’d punish you twice if they found out you gave him a hard time at school.”

It was almost time to depart. The boys, with hugs and last minute reminders from their parents, got ready to board the train. Albus also gave Liam a quick hug, though James turned to him with a salute and grin before darting off to join a group of his friends.

Lily hung back. She hadn’t found her cousin Hugo yet and was loath to have to sit in a compartment alone.

–Last minute jitters, honey?” asked Ginny as Harry put his arm around her.

–You’ll have a grand time at school, just wait, Lilybug,” Liam reassured her, using the special pet name he had given her when she was tiny.

–Liam,” Lily squeaked, stamping her foot. –You can’t call me that at school - I’ll be sooo embarrassed! And,” she finally admitted, –I’m just worried that I’ll forget and say ‘Liam’ instead of ‘Mr. Snape,’ and you’ll have to take points from Gryf- uh, I mean my House. Oh, look, finally, there's Hugo and Rose." Lily smiled with relief and waved excitedly at her cousins, who, along with their parents were running down the platform.

–A bloody speeding ticket,” Ron explained, –but it’s been taken care of.”

–Yes, only by Ronald having to Confund the police officer,” added Hermione. –Come on children, you’ve almost missed your train.”

There were more hugs and kisses all around, school trunks loaded and everyone accounted for and on board.

It was going to be another good year.
Chapter Endnotes: I am a new author and would appreciate your feedback.

Whether you liked my story or not - please review. I'd love to hear from you regardless.