Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From Opposite Sides by LoonyLupin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Hufflepuff

Ted Tonks got into the classroom just in time. Once again, he’d managed to get lost in the maze that was Hogwarts. It didn’t matter how long he’d been a student here. Ever since first year, Ted had fallen prey to what the other houses called –The curse of the Hufflepuffs”: a knack for having a bad sense of direction. This was definitely not how he wanted to start the day! He hurried into a chair as Professor Flitwick said, –Nice of you to join us, Mr. Tonks…”

–Sorry, Professor,” he mumbled.

Flitwick peered up at him from his spectacles. –It was your time that you wasted, not mine. I would expect better from a seventh year.”

The Slytherins snickered at this. Actually, it was all of them except for one, a girl with dark-brown hair that fell down her shoulders in curls. He tried to remember if he knew her name, then it came to him- Andromeda Black. They locked eyes for a moment, and she gave Ted a quick look of sympathy. It made him think, maybe not all Slytherins are cold-hearted. Something about her seemed to set her apart from the rest.

Flitwick climbed up the pile of books he used in order for the class to see him, and their lesson began. –Today, we’ll review the spell we practiced in our last lesson, Hairus Elongus,” Professor Flitwick announced. –This time, however, you’ll not be using partners. You’ll be performing it on yourself instead. Don’t forget about the reverse spell. Best of luck to you all!”

The class immediately went to work. Hairus Elongus was meant to give more hair to the witch or wizard it was being cast upon. To turn their hair back to its original state, they had to use the reverse spell, Hairus Shortus. Ted was shocked when he gave himself a fantastic beard on his first attempt. He’d been unsuccessful with it in the last Charms class, so he couldn’t help but smile proudly into the mirror he was holding. In fact, he wouldn’t mind having a beard like this when he was older. Soon, the room was full of people with longer hair. Some couldn’t keep it from growing, resulting in a tangle of hairs on the classroom floor. Ted concentrated and let his beard stop at a nice length. For once, he didn’t see why the others were having trouble. He noticed that Andromeda Black hadn’t been able to lengthen her hair yet. She groaned in frustration. By the time class was over, she still hadn’t made any progress. Professor Flitwick took her aside, and Ted decided to eavesdrop as he put his book into his school bag.

–Miss Black, you don’t usually have this much difficulty with Charms, and usually, I wouldn’t worry. But I’ve heard rumors that the Hair-Lengthening Charm will be on your N.E.W.T. exams this coming June. Could you possibly find a peer to help you master it?”

Andromeda replied with a nod. –I’ll do that right away, Professor. You know how much I want to pass, to make my parents happy.”

Before he knew what he was doing, Ted blurted out, –I can teach her!” Call him strange, but he felt powerless in the sight of the girl who had inexplicably captured his attention. Andromeda and Flitwick turned to stare at him.

–I don’t know why you listened in on our conversation, Mr. Tonks,” said Professor Flitwick, –but you did show impressive skill today. What do you think, Miss Black? It’s up to you.”

Andromeda hesitated for a minute, furrowing her eyebrows. Ted understood why. Slytherins typically didn’t get along with anybody outside their own house.

–All right,” she finally replied. –When and where do you want to meet, Tonks?”

–Let’s say seven o’clock p.m. in a room on the fourth floor, tomorrow?”

She agreed, and they left the classroom to go to dinner in the Great Hall. Ted had been taken aback when she called him by his last name. But what did you expect, he thought to himself as he ate. It’s not like you’re going to marry the girl. He had no idea of the journey that lay ahead of them…


The Slytherin

Andromeda Black wasn’t sure why she allowed Ted Tonks to give her a Charms lesson. Yes, she’d accepted his assistance grudgingly, but she was open to new experiences. Even if he turned out to be Muggle-born. Most of the Hufflepuffs were. She shuddered at what her family would think of that. Personally, she couldn’t see why they hated them so much. As far as she knew, Tonks wasn’t any different from her, a pure-blood. She never said any of this aloud, of course.

At seven o’clock, she made her way from the dungeons to the fourth floor with her boyfriend, Rupert Thompson. From the corner of her eye, she saw the Tonks boy waiting down the hall.

–I’ll meet you back in the common room later,” she told Rupert. They kissed goodbye, and she walked over to Tonks. He nodded to an empty room on the left-hand side, which they entered. The room had gray walls and housed only a few chairs.

–First, thanks for giving me permission to help,” Tonks began. –I know it was unexpected. We hadn’t even spoken to each other until yesterday. But you know how Hufflepuffs are, always going out of our way to be nice! I’ve got a habit of treating strangers like friends.”

Andromeda shrugged. –I don’t mind, really. I’m just grateful that someone offered to tutor me.” Tonks blushed a little. –It would be completely embarrassing if this spell was on our N.E.W.T. exams and I failed at it.”

–Can’t argue with you there,” said Tonks approvingly. –Now, I thought that we should return to doing partner work. We can go back and forth, practicing the spell on one another. That way, I’ll benefit from this just as much as you.”

–Makes perfect sense,” Andromeda agreed. –You can go first.”

Tonks aimed his wand at her. –Ready?”

–Ready.”

–Hairus Elongus!” In amazement, Andromeda watched her hair flow down to the floor, covering her shoes. Tonks stopped the growth, and he seemed quite pleased with his work.

–Wow. You would give Rapunzel a run for her money with that hair,” he informed her.

–Who?” Andromeda had never heard of anyone called Rapunzel before.

–Oh. I should’ve realized that you don’t know about her. She’s a character from Muggle fairytales, and she’s got extremely long hair.”

Andromeda pressed a finger to her chin. –So you are a Muggle-born. I wondered.”

–Yeah, I am,” Tonks admitted sheepishly. –Is that a problem?”

–Not at all,” she said, half-lying. She hoped that her face wasn’t betraying her. Mum and Dad would die of shame if they knew who she was spending time with... –Reverse the Charm, if you please.”

–Hairus Shortus,” he said confidently. Andromeda’s hair shrunk back to her usual shoulder length within seconds. Pure-blood or not, magic never ceased to astound her.

Squirming to try it out, she eagerly declared, –It’s my turn. Hairus Shortus!” A second later, she realized the mistake that she’d made. Tonks’ hair receded into his skull, quickly turning him into a bald teenager.

–No! Stop! Stop it NOW!” Tonks commanded, flustered.

–How?” she asked in a panic.

Suddenly, Tonks took her by the hand, lowering her wand and preventing himself from losing any more hair. Goose bumps crawled up her arms. Automatically, she knew, that wasn’t supposed to happen.

Tonks’ forehead sparkled with sweat. –Sorry. Had to do that,” he said breathlessly.

Andromeda argued sourly, –You could’ve just told me to put my wand down.” What’s Tonks playing at, acting nervous around me, when he saw me kiss Rupert earlier?

–We can call it a day if I disturbed you that much,” Tonks muttered sullenly.

–Tonks, that’s honestly the best idea I’ve heard from you,” she replied with a sneer.

His hand was still on top of hers. Slowly, but surely, he moved it back to his side. –I’ll just go, then.” He ran silently out of the room.

Andromeda sat down. The nerve of that boy! It only took her a moment to see how ridiculous she was being. I shouldn’t even think about this, she reminded herself. I shouldn’t be thinking about him. Just forget what he did today.

But, for whatever reason, she couldn’t.


Accidentally in Love

Ted tried to study on a comfy seat in the Hufflepuff common room, but he became too distracted. I’m such an idiot, he thought glumly. What was he going to say when he saw Andromeda tomorrow? All I was trying to do was stop you from leaving me with no hair? Yes. That was the truth, wasn’t it? He just couldn’t mention what he felt when their hands met. Something like an electric shock had run through Ted’s body, and he instantly saw what a beauty Andromeda was. Her deep blue eyes were what struck him the most. Not to mention, he saw how different she was from the other Slytherins. Any other person in her house would’ve rejected his offer to give them a lesson, just because he was the only wizard in his family. What’s more, she didn’t let go of my hand, he also reminded himself. On the other hand, she was angry about it seconds later. He sighed. Women. They were so hard to understand sometimes. And of course, there was… the boyfriend . It was only natural that a girl like her would already have one.

When their next Charms class was dismissed, Andromeda walked over to Ted. –Hi, Tonks. I hadn’t meant to be cross with you the other day, but what happened was-” she paused-–unexpected.” She looked somewhat nervous at the mention of their past moment. Could there be a double meaning in that, he wondered.

Ted told her simply, –I get it. I would’ve freaked out if it was me, too.”

–Would you still be willing to give me some help with the Hair-Lengthening Charm?”

His mind went racing. She’s no good for you, Ted. You need to stay away from this girl. There’s a reason Slytherins and Hufflepuffs don’t mix. Let’s not forget Rupert, either. Stop daydreaming about what you can’t have! The sensible answer would’ve been no, he knew.

His mouth spoke otherwise. –Definitely. We can try to use that same room again later this week, if it’s not occupied.”

–Good! See you then.” She turned and headed towards her next class while Ted just stood there.

Time went by so fast that he blinked and there he was again, alone in a nearly-empty room with Andromeda. After he practiced the Charm and reversed it, she asked curiously, –I’ve never really spoken to a Muggle-born before. When was the first time you noticed that you weren’t ‘normal’? That must be an interesting story.”

–Believe me, it is,” Ted said with a happy nod. –Our family was sitting down for dinner, and Mum had made these terrible brussel sprouts. I said how much I hated them. She said that I couldn’t do anything until I finished eating them. I was so angry. All of a sudden, the brussel sprouts flew into the air. They landed on our dog’s head!”

Andromeda laughed at this, a melodic sound that Ted couldn’t get enough of.

–You bet it was hilarious to see, Miss Black. Mum didn’t think it was funny, though.” He chuckled at the memory. –It wasn’t until I was eleven that I found out about my magic. One day, a teacher from Hogwarts came to tell me in person. Dumbledore, actually. It didn’t seem real at first. I still go back to living like a Muggle every summer. But I love magic so much, and I would never go back to that life-”

–Did you just use ‘Miss’ before my name?” she interrupted.

Ted coiled his hands up in embarrassment. –Oh. I suppose I did. I’m just not the kind of person who likes to only use last names when I talk to someone.”

Andromeda seemed to catch on to his humiliation. –No, you don’t understand,” she said apologetically. –I’m not upset. I liked that. It’s very… charming of you.” She grinned at him widely. –Not even Rupert would call me that.”

Ted grinned back at her. –You’re welcome. Anyways, on with the practicing. I know you can get it right if you keep at it.”

His new Slytherin friend pointed her wand to him. –Hairus Elongus!” Having said the correct words this time, Ted didn’t need to fear for his hair. Andromeda’s streak of bad luck broke, and his hair grew down to his elbows, where she lowered her wand to stop it from growing more.

–Wonderful!” Ted cheered. –Now finish the job.”

–Hairus Shortus.” His hair returned to its normal cut. Andromeda couldn’t suppress her elation. –I did it, Tonks! I really did it.” Then she did the last thing he’d expected: she ran up to Ted and gave him a tight hug. –Thank you! I was beginning to think I’d never be able to do that Charm.”

Andromeda felt warm in his arms, and her hair came down into his face. He had the strongest urge to touch it, but that was a boundary he wouldn’t dare to cross. She must have hugged him without meaning to, because she backed away as quickly as she could, looking as pale as a ghost.

–I… I have to go,” she stuttered hastily. Without another word, she left.

Well, that was odd. She did the same thing I did before, Ted realized. But that doesn’t mean anything. Or does it?

–Every time she comes my way
She knows just what
To do and say;
Those little smiles she throws away,
They turn my stomach.”
Chapter Endnotes: Lyrics are from "Her Game" by Kevin Max. And yes, I made up the hair spell. Seems kind of silly, I know, but that was the first kind of spell that popped into my head!