Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From Opposite Sides by LoonyLupin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As you can imagine, a bittersweet aroma trailed the preparations for the wedding of Andromeda and Ted Tonks. Andromeda felt a giant opening in her heart where her family should be. It’s not like her engagement had been on a whim. She’d thought over her future with Ted a million times before he even proposed, and she’d known that whichever side she chose, guilt would plague her until the day she died. Standing up for what she believed in had given her so much power, even if it had been at the cost of her family. Weren’t they supposed to be happy for her? Weren’t they supposed to stand by her decision, even if they hated it? Isn’t that what family does? Her parents had warned her not to go over to –the wrong side”, but she never dreamed that they would actually shun her. Narcissa, and Bellatrix, whom she used to admire as a little girl, wouldn’t speak to her anymore, either. Their words still rang in her ears for days afterwards…

–We’ve told you countless times how terrible Muggles are! Now you want to marry the son of Muggles?

–I can’t imagine why you’re putting yourself through this, Dromeda. Why can’t you just find a pure-blood to marry?”

–He acquired his power by sheer chance. He doesn’t have any magical blood running through his veins. ”

–He’s got nothing but dirty blood in him. If you were a sensible witch, you’d see that.”


They’d ensured that she lost contact with every single Black. For getting married, of all things! Some family she had.

Ted’s family was more than accommodating through it all. They paid for her dress, and Mr. Tonks even volunteered to walk her down the aisle himself. She let him do so, very appreciatively. Her in-laws were everything her own family should’ve been: gracious, loving, and accepting. They didn’t mind her coming to visit them by Floo powder (though it gave them a good scare the first time she did it!) or using magic inside their home. Ever since Violet and Reginald Tonks were told that they had a wizard for a son, nothing seemed to shock them anymore.

On the big day, Violet assisted Andromeda with putting on her beautiful white gown. –For the longest time,” her soon-to-be mother-in-law admitted, –Ted was so upset that people in your world would ignore him because his father and I don’t have magic. Then you came along. I can’t tell you how thankful we are that you gave him a chance.”

Andromeda tried not to cry, taking Violet’s hand. –I can’t tell you how glad I am that I’m doing this. Ted’s made me almost a completely different person. Because of him, I can see past bloodline, into the actual people themselves.” She sighed deeply. –I just wish my parents and sisters could do the same.”

Finally, she stepped into the sanctuary for the ceremony, accompanied by Reginald. From both sides of the aisle, she found confirmation that none of the Blacks were here. Well, all but one. Her cousin Sirius came because, as the first relative she had told about Ted, they were very close. She trusted him alone since he’d been an outcast of the family from the moment he was sorted into Gryffindor. Sirius would never shut her out, that mischievous rebel of a boy! He had come with James Potter and his parents, whom she’d met at work. All the sadness melted away when Sirius smirked at her lovingly, shaking his shaggy mane of hair. Andromeda also saw some other friends from work: Nancy Finnegan, Vikki Brown, and Arabella Figg (a Squib, but still very involved with the Wizarding world). Her eyes spotted Violet Tonks in the front, where she should be, as the mother of the groom. Andromeda was instantly overwhelmed by how much she was still loved, despite losing the people who’d given birth to her. It caused her to burst into the first genuine smile she’d worn in a long time. Standing at the altar was Ted, handsome as ever. Being married to him would surely mean that she wouldn’t experience any more days of unhappiness, and she felt determined to care for him just as much as he would care for her, fulfilling a cardinal rule of marriage.

–Ready to become a Tonks?” Reginald asked in a whisper.

His new daughter-in-law said, without skipping a beat, –I’ve never been more ready for anything in my whole life.”

–You're in my heart;
The only light that shines
there in the dark.
'Cause I wanted to fly,
so you gave me your wings;
And time held its breath so I could see,
and you set me free.”


Not long after they became husband and wife, Andromeda complained of feeling ill every morning, along with the obsessive need to eat peanuts. It scared her to death. What could this mean?

She told Ted this as they were getting ready for the beginning of another day. In reply, he said sympathetically, –Well, that’s not good…” Then his face erupted into a big grin, and he laughed hysterically.

–What?!” she demanded, placing her hands on her hips. –This is serious! I need to go to St. Mungo’s. Something’s wrong with me!”

Ted put an arm around her shoulder. –I know you’ve been surrounded by magic your whole life, but this is too funny… Dromeda, I think you’re pregnant!”

Andromeda could’ve kicked herself. She’d known that it was possible, yet it sounded so Muggle-ish, for some reason. Living in a magical world sometimes made her forget that things like becoming a mother were universal. Now that she knew for sure, she couldn’t stop herself from bouncing up and down with Ted, their arms enveloped around each other.

A visit to a Muggle doctor confirmed the wonderful news. Andromeda had to be convinced by Ted, more than once, that a stethoscope wouldn’t hurt her, much to the bewilderment of the doctor. He must’ve thought that she was psychotic. But she had been willing to see how the Muggles treated pregnancy, and when the time came, she found that their hospitals were very clean and comfortable.

It was on a beautiful April day that the newest Tonks was born; a girl. Andromeda gazed down at the baby in her arms, while Ted sat on the side of her bed.

–Aw. Her eyes are brown, like yours!” She had to blink a second later, amazed at what she was seeing. –No, wait... they’re green.” She’d only heard of this condition, but she knew it, just the same. Her daughter was a Metamorphagus! She could alter the color of her eyes, the shade of her hair, even the shape of her entire face. The changes would be very random until she learned to control it when she was older.

Ted chortled. –Wow. Isn’t that a sight? Never thought I would meet a Metamorphagus. How cool is that?” Astonishment suddenly came over his face. –Dromeda, we haven’t talked about a name yet. We’ve been so busy with work and such that we haven’t gotten around to it!”

She knew he was right. How could they have not given this any thought before? –Well,” she decided, –her middle name could be Violet, in honor of your mum.”

Her husband beamed in appreciation. –She’d love that. Matter of fact, she and Dad will be here soon. Now, what about our daughter’s first name? What do you think of ‘Leanne’?”

Scrunching her nose, Andromeda told him, –That’s a beautiful name, but I don’t think it fits her, Ted. Someone with her abilities should have a more unique name. How about… ‘Dora’?”

–I like it,” Ted agreed. –Maybe it would be even more unique if we added something before it, though. Have you ever read Greek mythology?”

She nodded skeptically, wondering where he was going with this.

–Remember the nymphs, those beautiful creatures that look like women? What if we took ‘Nymph’ and combined it with ‘Dora’?”

Andromeda warmed up to the idea within a minute. Definitely unique, but it was still missing something. –Hmm… Let’s put an ‘a’ in the middle of them. Nymphadora.”

Ted tried out their daughter’s full name to see how it sounded: –Nymphadora Violet Tonks.” They glanced at each other cheerfully and linked their fingers together. The baby changed her hair color to Andromeda’s dark shade of brown.

–She likes it!” her mother cheered. –Feels like the name was made for her.” Then she realized with a pang: –Uh oh. We’ve got to get out of here before the doctor sees her using her powers… They’ll think she’s ill.”

Ted appeared to feel the same twinge of fear. The midwife had already seen Nymphadora change, and he’d had to cast a Memory Charm on her to prevent any questions. –I’ll ask a nurse if we can check you out now,” he assured her, leaving immediately for the door.

Andromeda had to giggle a bit, pondering the clash of worlds that was taking place. She looked into her daughter’s eyes and said, –Nymphadora, you’re going to be quite the troublemaker, aren’t you?”

In a twist of irony, Nymphadora Tonks would grow to despise her first name, preferring to just be called –Tonks”, or –Dora”, to Ted and Andromeda. Regardless, Dora brought so much fun to their lives. And she did seem to cause mischief wherever she went, mostly the kind involving her terrible coordination. With her, the Tonks family had twenty-five years of joy.

Then came Lord Voldemort, and an era that would shake the foundation of their bliss.
Chapter Endnotes: Song lyrics are from "You Set Me Free" by Michelle Branch. To follow their story further, check out my one-shot called [spoiler alert!] "Ways To Say Goodbye".