Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The List by panther_mlb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Yes, I do realize this is not "all correct." In actuality, Bellatrix is eight years older than Sirius, but this way serves more purpose to my story. I hope that we can all look past that, and just enjoy the story that I have created.
Revenge.

That is what she believed.

Young Bellatrix Black was taught early on the ways of revenge. She still remembered the time when she was just six years old and Narcissa had broken her favorite toy.

–Cissy ruined my dolly, dad,” she had whined.

Ever busy as he was, he responded with a nod of the head saying, –Oh that’s nice, Bella, now go. Go. Shoo! Away with you.”

–Dad!” she screamed. The tears began to fall (a trick she had learned from her mother.) –It was my absolute favorite doll and she broke it!”

–Well, break something of hers then,” he said while waving her out of the room. And that was just what she did.

Bella never was a bad child, not in her parent’s eyes anyway. She, however, got a thrill from terrorizing her sisters and the local neighborhood children. This always made her parents proud; their little girl, asserting herself in the world. Proving she was far better than those nasty muggles.

That was the Black family’s sole goal in life, to have purebloods rule the world. You wouldn’t find a purer family than the Black’s anywhere you looked.

Bella never really had a problem with the muggles, she merely sought to entertain herself. Being brought up in such a pureblood family changes a person, though. It’s in their nature. There was one person who Bella always knew was different. It was her cousin, Sirius. He was always Bellatrix’s favorite family member, next to her mother. Looking back, she was first drawn to him because he always called her –Trixie.” They were best friends growing up. She always admired him and his contempt for his parents. In the life Bella was used to living, this was truly a breath of fresh air.

–Hey, Trixie, you’ll never guess what my mother did now?” seemed to almost be his catchphrase. He was always getting into trouble, and was the complete opposite of his younger brother, Regulus. One Christmas family gathering, Sirius and Bellatrix were sitting in their hiding spot, the magically enlarged cupboard under the sink. He was eleven and had gotten home for the holidays in his first year at Hogwarts.

–…and then Professor McGonagall just turned into a cat, just like that!” he was telling her. –It really was a sight to behold. I don’t think she meant for anyone to see, I guess I was just in the right place at the right time.”

–Wow! That sounds amazing,” Bella responded with stars in her eyes. –I can’t wait till I am old enough to go to school.”

–One more year, Trixie! It will be here before you know it. But, I haven’t told you the best part yet! Trixie, can you keep a secret?” Bella nodded vigorously, eager to hear what he had to say. –Okay, well you know how I was telling you about my new friend, James? Well, I have this other friend, Remus. Remus Lupin.” His voice dropped to barely a whisper. –He’s a werewolf.”

–A WERE-”

–Shhh!” he scolded.

"Sorry,” she whispered, blushing red. –But a werewolf? What do you parents think about that? What does your MOTHER think about that?” she asked incredulously.

–Are you crazy?” he asked, eyes wide and protruding. –As if I told them! I would be dead before you could blink! That’s why it’s a secret. Besides, I don’t care much what my parents have to say anymore.” He shrugged his shoulders and slouched back. –They’re already bloody pissed that I’m in Gryffindor, not their ‘precious Slytherin’. Ugh!” He rolled his eyes in disgust.

–You don’t like Slytherin?”

–Not in the slightest.”

–My mum always says Slytherin is the best. She says that I will be a great Slytherin and make our family proud,” Bella said softly. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes at the thought that someone would be disappointed with her. If she was in Slytherin, Sirius would be mad, but if she was put in anything but that, her mother would disown her.

–Oh, Trixie, I think she is wrong, your mum is. You are much more than a Slytherin. With your brains, you’ll probably end up in Ravenclaw anyway,” he patted her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. –And even if you do get put in Slytherin, I will still love you all the same. You will still be my favorite cousin.”

–Thank you, Sirius. You are my favorite, too,” she beamed.

–But really, Trixie, what do you think of what I told you? Pretty cool, eh?”

–I don’t know… a werewolf? Mum always tells me they are dirty creatures, says they’re almost as bad as mudbloods.”

At this, Sirius’s face darkened. –Now, Trixie, don’t you ever use that word again! I’ll have you know that Remus is about the cleanest and most well behaved student I have ever met. And as for the horrible word you uttered, Lily Evans, a girl in my year, is muggleborn and she is the smartest girl I have ever met!”

–I…I’m sorry. My mum always says such horrible things about them, though. I always assumed they were as horrid as she said.” Bella was starting to get upset again.

–You know what, Trixie? Your mum sounds a lot like mine. And I don’t mean that in a good way, mind you. You will learn soon that just because they are your parents, it doesn’t always mean they’re right.” Sirius stood up and grabbed Bella’s hands, helping her to her feet. –Why don’t we go get some dinner, Trixie? I hear someone made a delicious treacle tart.” He turned to leave and Bellatrix followed, feeling quite confused and conflicted.

Growing up in a pureblood family made things rather black and white. Mudbloods were bad; half-breeds were dirty. These were all things told to Bella by her mum and dad growing up. Well, mostly her mum. Her dad didn’t talk to her much. Bella had never heard of someone defending a mudblood before.

If there was one person that Bella respected more than Sirius, it was her mother. Her mum had always been fair to all of her children and she taught them every lesson they had ever learned. Sure, her mum wasn’t perfect: she yelled, nagged and complained. But, she had also gotten Bella out of many sticky situations.

Once, when Bella was eight, she had spilt a jar of ink all over the papers on her father’s desk. Not knowing what to do, Bellatrix just left smugly. When her father came home, he was absolutely livid. He called Bella and Narcissa both into his office for questioning. Just as Bella was about to confess, however, her mother entered with baby Andromeda. Her mum took full blame for everything. She winked at Bella while handing her the baby.

–Get Andy and Cissy out of her, Bell,” she whispered. The door was shut behind them and five yards down the hallway, Bella heard the first slap. He mother’s cry haunted her forever. One day, she would avenge her mother, and never would her father be forgiven. Not in her mind anyways. At the age of eight, the list was born, and her father was the first upon it.
Chapter Endnotes: Yes, I know! Sirius and Bellatrix... FRIENDS?! Just trust me on this!
But seriously, this is only my second fanfiction, and the other was in a COMPLETELY different genre, so please let me know how I am doing.