Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The List by panther_mlb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks for reading my story. Here is Chapter 2!

Bellatrix Black was always good at making lists. As a child, she made lists for everything. When her mum would go shopping for groceries, Bella was always entrusted with figuring out what was needed. Her new list, however, was one of a type she was not used to It was a list of revenge, though she didn’t know it yet.


During the summer in which Bellatrix was eleven, her owl for Hogwarts came. It was the most exciting moment in her life thus far. The month leading up to her departure was a whirlwind of emotions.

Her mum was so excited for Bella that she bought her an owl. It wasn’t just any owl, it was a top of the line, beautiful gray owl name Podposy. She had said that nothing was too good for –her little student.” This, however, did not make Bella’s father very happy.

–Why spend all of our inheritance on this ungrateful child just because she’s magic?” he spat. –Of course she’s magic! She’s a Black!” Bella’s mother had been punished severely that day.

In total, Bella’s life had been getting worse and worse at home. Everyone in the house lived cautiously to avoid her father’s wrath. Bella had actually begun counting down the days until she boarded the Hogwarts Express.

She couldn’t kid herself into pretending that she wasn’t most excited to see Sirius again. He always had such a fresh take on everything, and no one else she knew gave advice like he did. She knew that he would always be the brother she never had.

When she was him at Kings Cross Station on Platform 9 ¾ , she couldn’t resist giving him a huge hug.

–Oy, Trixie,” he laughed, hugging her back. –Good to see you, too, but not in from of the other kids!”

–Sirius Black! Are you embarrassed by me?”

–Absolutely.” Bella giggled then said good-bye, after making Sirius promise that she could talk to him whenever she wanted. She walked back over towards her mother. Her father was busy working, as always.

–Okay, Bell, you sure you have everything?” her mother asked while smoothing her hair.

Bella rolled her eyes and retorted, –Yes, mum, you packed my trunk last night and checked it about ten times this morning, don’t you remember?” She reached into her pocket and pulled out her list, which had multiple checkmarks next to everything.

–Yes, yes, I know, you and your lists. I… I’m just worried is all.”

–Well don’t, mum, I’m going to be fine.”

–I know. You always are. You’re so strong,” her mum said. A single tear fell down her face as she pulled Bella into a tight embrace. –I am going to miss you so much.”

–I will miss you, too mum. I love you.”

–I love you, too, Bella. Have fun at school.” She gave Bella a kiss on the forehead and sent her on her way, waving until the train was out of sight.

Meanwhile, Bellatrix had found a compartment with two girls and boy in it. She asked if she could sit with them, and joined the conversation.

–So anyway,” continued the girl, her voice thick with sarcasm, –That is why I could possibly be in Gryffindor.” She had a peachy tint to her blonde hair and large, wonder-filled eyes which briefly flashed every once and a while with an odd evilness. It was obvious she was the more outgoing of the two girls.

–Ah yes!” The boy pretended to wield a sword high in the air, mocking a duel. –Gryffindor!” he shouted. –I’m the bravest person you’ll meet here at this dingy school.” Him and the blonde girl guffawed loudly.

–As if!” The girl said between laughs. –That’s a good joke, Jean!” The bold girl turned to Bellatrix and said, –I’m Marti, by the way. Marti Carver. And this here is Jean-Claude Moreau. SO, what house do you think you will be in?”

–Well, most of my whole family has been in Slytherin, and that’s what my mum is hoping will happen,” Bella told them.

–Ah, us too,” said Jean-Claude, beaming at her. Marti nodded at this.

–My cousin, Sirius, says that I could be put into Ravenclaw because he says I’m very smart. He’s the first in my family to be in a non-Slytherin house.”

–He sounds like a real piece of work,” Marti muttered.

The meek girl in the corner finally spoke for the first time since Bella had been in the compartment. –You’re related to Sirius Black?” she asked in little more than a whisper.

–Black?!” Marti exclaimed, staring bug-eyed at Bella. –Wow! I can’t believe I’m meeting a real-life Black! Your family is greatly respected by mine.”

–Oy, and I’ve heard of that Sirius character,” Jean-Claude snorted. –My mother says he’s horrible. A real blood traitor, that one. And Robert, my older brother, he says he’s one of the worst. Thinks he’s real cool because he’s in Gryffindor, a cocky devil, I heard.”

–Blood traitor?” Bella asked, not understanding the blatant insults against her cousin. –My mum says that, but I don’t really know what it means.”

Marti scoffed at this. –Where were you raised, Black? Surely you know what that is!” When Bella shook her head, Marti sighed dramatically. –A blood-traitor is a pure-blood who doesn’t respect that. They would rather frolic around with the lesser people.”

–My father reckons they’re as bad as mudbloods,” Jean stated. His dark black hair stayed perfectly in place despite how hard he was nodding his head.

The shy little girl whimpered slightly then began to speak. –My cousin says that Sirius is amazing,” she squeaked. Her brown eyes looked frightened and she nervously began playing with her pigtails. Bellatrix couldn’t help feeling bad for her.

Meanwhile, Marti and Jean were practically rolling on the floor laughing. –Oy, Moreau, you hear that? The girls thinks he’s ‘amazing’,” Marti laughed, imitating the girl’s voice.

–What’s your name, mouse-girl?” Jean-Claude sneered.

–S-s-sarah. Sarah Sing-g-gret.”

–Which house are you expecting, Sarah?” Marti asked, uncharacteristically switching to and interested and kind tone of voice.

–Hufflepuff,” Sarah choked.

–Hufflepuff!” Marti shrieked, back to normal.

–The girl wants to be in Hufflepuff!” Jean-Claude managed to spit out. Both him and Marti were wiping tears from their eyes. –Did you hear that, Black? Hufflepuff!”

Bella laughed nervously, not sure how to react. She did not have a problem with the girl, and she liked that she had stood up for Sirius.

Marti and Jean continued to insult the girl to the point of tears. Sarah got up to leave, but before she was gone, Bellatrix sent her a sympathetic smile.

She looked out the window and realized that it was getting dark, so she grabbed her things and began to pull on her robes. Marti and Jean finally began to calm down and changed, too. The rest of the train ride was spent with Bellatrix sitting awkwardly in the compartment, lost in her own thoughts while Marti and Jean-Claude terrorized any kids who were unfortunate enough to walk past.

The train finally stopped, and they all got off. Bellatrix was transfixed by the huge castle looming in the distance. First years all around her –ooh”-ed and –ahh”-ed. It really was an impressive castle, and Bella couldn’t wait to live in it.

Bella looked around for a sign of Sirius, but before she found him she felt herself being pushed towards the water. She was put in the same boat as Marti, Jean-Claude, a jumpy little boy with thin blonde hair, and a rather large girl who took turns glaring at everyone in the boat. As they rowed closer and closer to the school, the more nervous Bella got.

Her one fear was making friends. She really hoped that she wasn’t an outcast, even if it meant hanging around Marti and Jean. The thing that was still worrying her the most was the sorting. How was she to decide who she would rather please? Sirius or her mother? She did her best to push it from her mind, but it kept creeping back in. She figured she would just let the hat decide.

From the moment she entered the Great Hall, Bella looked around frantically for Sirius. She finally found him in the middle of the Gryffindor table seated between a boy with his chest puffed out and round glasses upon his face and a boy who appeared very mature for his age but also as though he was very introverted. Without a doubt, though, he looked strong and Bella guessed that he wouldn’t be someone you would like to duel with.

Bella waved hysterically to Sirius until the boy with the glasses noticed and elbowed him in the ribs. Sirius smiled and waved back. Then, when no one was looking, he pointed to his other friend and mouthed –Werewolf.” She grinned and made a face mocking fear and then continued with the other first years who were lining up in alphabetical order. Automatically, she headed towards the front and waited.

This was the first time that Bella had the chance to observe the room she was in. It truly was magnificent. The most captivating part was the ceiling which mimicked the night sky outside. While Bella was busy staring up at it, she didn’t notice the hat that was brought in until is sprouted a mouth and began to sing.

–Long ago, I was made
In servitude to this school,
To help four wizards
To enforce their wisdom rule.
I may be torn and ripped
And no doubt am I old
But my cleverness exceeds the norm
As I have seen it all.
So hurry, place me on your head
Hurry and make haste.
I will look inside your mind
And help you find your place.
Which of the four would have chose you,
Maybe Godric Gryffindor?
Does fighting terrors and being brave
Leaving you wanting more?
Or maybe Helga Hufflepuff
Is really more your speed.
She chose the loyal few
Who mean what they say and say what they mean.
Another of the great four
Is Rowena Ravenclaw.
She used her mind and quick logic
To see the things she saw.
Last, and certainly not least,
Salazar Slytherin might have chosen you.
He could always get his way
For he was clever, too.
And there you have it, students,
The four houses you may be.
The only one to tell you where,
Is, of course, magnificent me.”


When the song was over, Bella found herself feeling very nervous again. The thought of going for the sorting was making her stomach turn. The first name was called followed by the second which turned in the sixth faster than Bella wanted. At this point, she was shaking so hard she was positive the whole hall could hear it.

Finally, she heard –Black, Bellatrix!” Ring out. Bella gulped and walked shakily forward. She found Sirius’s face in the crowd and he gave her a thumbs-up sign. It seemed like an eternity till Bella finally made it to the stool and the hat was placed on her head.

Hmmm… She heard in her ear. What to do… Gryffindor. No. I think not. Hufflepuff? Loyal, but too easily corrupted, so no. My, my, you are a clever young girl, what about Ravenclaw? Or perhaps use those brains in a different manner, such as in Slytherin. Bellatrix gulped. Ah, conflicted are we? Worried about what another will think. Must be… –SLYTHERIN!” the hat shouted out.

At that, Bella let out a breath she didn’t even know she had been holding. She stood and headed for the applause that she assumed was the Slytherin table. Looking around, she found Sirius and met his eyes. Nervous about what he thought, she mouthed the word –Well…?” He merely shrugged and acted as the only person from Gryffindor, or any other house, to cheer along with the Slytherins for her. Bellatrix had never felt so relaxed before.

Chapter Endnotes: I hope you liked it! Please review to let me know, as I can always take any suggestions to improve my writing.