Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The List by panther_mlb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to anyone reading this, I hope you enjoy.



–No! Please, stop!” the shrill voice shouted.


–Shut it, you!”


–Thank you, Jean,” came Marti’s smooth drawl. Her eyes gleamed maliciously. –Now, it has come to our attention that you have been… mocking us?” She stepped up so that her face was within an inch of the boy’s who was being held back by Jean-Claude. –Is this true?”


–N-no,” the boy stuttered. Marti took another menacing step forward causing the squirrelly boy to flinch. –Well, m-maybe a little, b-b-but nothing b-bad. I m-mean, w-well, yet it was… well it c-could be… construed that way.”


His incoherent babbling was cut off by the high pitched shriek which was actually Marti laughing. Bellatrix, herself, couldn’t help let out a chuckle at the poor, fidgety rambler.


–What’s your name, Hufflepuff?” Marti sneered.


–Rupert PIno.”


–Well, Pino, I suggest you knock it off. We don’t like being the butt of your jokes much. Take it back.”


–W-what? But I didn’t!” The boy was absolutely shaking now.


–You heard her,” Jean yelled, exaggerating his words with a sharp poke in the back. –Take it back. Say it isn’t true.” Marti went into another fit of laughter as the boy tried to speak.”


–I-it isn’t tr-tr-true.”


–What isn’t true?” Bella asked silkily, finally emerging from her place leaning against the wall behind Marti. Arms crossed, she moved forward. –You’re going to have to clarify.” Marti was still sniggering. –Rupert,” Bella said stopping directly in front of him looking into his eyes. While flashing him a winning smile, she asked again, –What isn’t true?”


Just as Rupert took a deep breath preparing to speak, a different voice rang out from Bella’s left. –All right, let him go!”


–Ha! As if!” Marti countered.


The mystery voice surfaced from the shadows and Bella recognized him stomach-sinkingly as the bespectacled friend of Sirius’s. –Shall I fetch a professor? I see you are a Slytherin, perhaps I will bring ole Slughorn down here? I say let him go.”


Marti sighed and nudged to Jean-Claude who dropped hold of the kid and sent him scampering down the hall. –See you, Pino.” Jean called after him before advancing on his savior.


–So, what’s your deal?” Marti enquired. –You think because you’re a big, bad Gryffindor you will just come to the rescue?”


–Yeah, that’s pretty much it,” said a new voice. Out of the dark stepped the boy Bella knew as the werewolf. –Not to mention, I think you are forgetting what year you are in, fledglings.”


–Marti was cackling while Jean-Claude said, –Well mind your own business from now on!”


–Move on out of here, first-years, before we start some trouble,” the glasses-boy said while drawing his wand. Bellatrix was beginning to feel uneasy about the situation.


–Stand down, James,” came another voice. Bellatrix gulped. This was a voice she recognized. Sirius’s face appeared and he glanced contemptuously at the trio of bullies. –They’re not worth our time. Now go on.” Sirius just shook his head and turned to walk away. James looked dumbstruck but then shrugged while him and the werewolf moved to follow.


Bella’s hands felt clammy and she started to feel hot. She felt Marti pulling on her leave to leave, but it didn’t register to her. Acting on impulse, she ran down the corridor that Sirius had disappeared into until she spotted him again. Ignoring the fact that she was about to be late to class, Bella called out, –SIRIUS!”


He stopped and turned around with blood-freezing slowness, his glare shooting daggers. Immediately, Bella’s mouth fell dry but she shrugged off her fear and forced herself to speak. –Please, wait.” Looking down she said, –I’m sorry.”


Sirius relaxed a bit and sighed. –Go on, you guys. I’ll meet up with you and Peter later on.” His eyes were fixed on Bella, and it was clear he was waiting for her to speak.


–I’m sorry,” she repeated.


–About what, Trixie? About what?” It seemed that Sirius had finally lost his cool in the situation, with arms running wild through the air. –I mean, really, Trixie!” Just because you’re in Slytherin, it doesn’t mean that you have to act like that. Being rude to innocent people is not going to get you anywhere in life, no matter what your mumsie says.”


–Don’t you bring my mother into this!”


–Well, honestly,” Sirius sighed and ran a nervous hand through his hair. –I’m sorry for my outbreak, but I hate seeing you this way.”




–Sirius…” Bella paused a moment thinking of what to say next. –I’m sorry. I’ll try to do better, I really will.”


–Do you promise?”


–I promise. I’ll make you proud.”


–Good,” he said, crossing the distance between the two and wrapping her into a hug. –I know that you are going places.” He pulled apart and looked around tensely. –Speaking of going places, I’m going to be late for class.”


As he started to walk away, Bella called out, –Wait!” Sirius turned on his heel and nodded. –Thank you.” Sirius beamed, putting a hand on his heart then continuing on his way.






–… and that was what I said! Oi, Jean, look who it is? Get over here, Black.”


Bella smiled dutifully at Marti. She hadn’t spoken to either her or Jean-Claude since the incident in the hallway, and she was exhausted. All she wanted to do was eat her dinner, but she couldn’t ignore Marti. Every time she spoke, it felt like nails on a chalkboard, and Bella’s head pounded again. Like the good friend she was though, Bella loyally crossed the Great Hall to where Marti and Jean-Claude were sitting.


–What’s happened to you?” Jean asked.


–I have to ask the same question, Black. You kind of disappeared today. Did your mean cousin get wittle Bellatrix in trouble?”Between Marti’s screech and Jean’s low food-spitting bray, it was all Bella could do to not cover her ears with her hands.


–Guys, can we just not talk about it?” Bella pleaded, trying to stomach her potatoes while Jean made those gross noises he always did while eating.


–Oh, touchy touchy, are we?” Bella swathe unmistakable flash of maliciousness flicker over her eyes.


A long sigh on Bella’s part was followed by, –You’re right. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped. I just…” Somehow, the words Bella was looking for wouldn’t come. Instead, she waited for Mari to inevitably begin talking again.


–Hmph, of course I’m right,” Marti said, cocking her chin out and her shoulders back. Just like that, Bella knew the argument was avoided. More so, she knew how important it was to avoid all the arguments and remain on Marti’s good side, despite what Sirius said.


The rest of the dinner passed in a blur. Looking across the hall, Bella saw Rupert, nervously eating his pie, glancing over his shoulder every once in awhile. Not far from he sat Sarah. Bella remembered her from the train by her pigtails. No matter how she was raised or what she had been taught to believe, Bella sympathized with the two. But she knew she could never do anything about it. She was no Sirius. Lost in her own thoughts, she was surprised to find herself down in the bowls of the castle in front of her common room door. Bella didn’t even remember leaving the hall. By the time she finally made it to her bed, she was asleep before her head hit the pillow.
Chapter Endnotes: This was just a small little part to set up a bit of character development. I guarantee Chapter 4 is longer, and will be up A.S.A.P. Please review to let me know how I am doing, and thank you for reading once again.