Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

White Jade by AidaLuthien

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Li Zai-feng, youngest Beloved of Heaven, Prince of All Under Heaven, observed silently as servants bustled around him, packing. He wasn’t even sure what was being packed for him. He assumed his school materials like paper, brushes, his cauldron, and apparently enough different kinds of clothes to last him the entire school year.

It would be his first real trip outside the palace. He had been to the Temple of Heaven and a few other places in Chang’an, but those were for a few days at a time, at the very longest. He was leaving the only home he had ever known for three months until he returned for the winter holidays. And then he would return to school for another seven months.

The headmaster of the Dragon Pearl, Zhu-ge Liang, had arrived that morning. He seemed very somber. Of course, he had to be - escorting a prince to the palace was an important task. Besides, Zhu-ge Liang was considered very radical by many members of the court. Still, he hoped that Zhu-ge Liang was not always so conservative. His father, Emperor Hong-zhi was on good terms with Zhu-ge Liang. In fact, it was his father who had originally recommended Zhu-ge Liang for the post of headmaster.

Ever since his ancestor, Emperor Shang had established the Dragon Pearl with the heads of the Phoenix, Dragon, Tiger and Turtle clans, it had been tradition to send all the children of the emperor and empress to the Southern School to study. The emperor’s children by his concubines were supposed to be sent to lesser schools throughout the empire, but Emperor Hong-zhi, Zai-feng’s father did not keep concubines.

Li Zai-feng was the youngest child, and his next oldest sibling was almost ten years older, so the palace - and the aristocracy at large - were practically buzzing with excitement. They all wanted him for something. They didn’t care about him. None of them ever had. They would use their children to try to get him to agree to things, and then try to enforce those agreements on his father - as if they hadn’t already been trying since he was old enough to speak for himself.

Li Zai-feng shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He was wearing new clothes for the occasion. They were appropriate for going to school - that is to say, they were the plainest things he had ever worn, except for the temple days when he was required to wear all white cotton. These were still golden colored, and a design of a dragon and a phoenix were emblazoned on them, but they had none of the heavy embroidery with real gems, pearls and precious metals of his normal clothing.

He would be going to the Dragon Pearl alone, none of the palace servants would be going with him. At school, he would not have his own servants, though the aristocracy had insisted on a small cadre of house elves to he would be treated essentially like all of the other students: he would be as close to ordinary as a prince of the realm could ever be. Even his clothing was plain as he had ever worn in his life. His hands briefly clenched into fists, before he relaxed them again. Zai-feng would not show any sign of weakness. His father, Emperor Hong-zhi was not here. Neither was his mother, Empress Yu-yan.

The last of his bags was packed. He glanced around, trying to hide the gesture. Neither of his parents were here yet. Zai-feng tried not to engage in any nervous tics, but he was glad his mother wasn’t here. They both needed to be here for the Leave Taking ceremony though. It would be the first time he left the capital city of Chang’an, it was one of the first and most important ceremonies in a prince or princess’s life. He was the youngest and the least, but his parents still needed to be there to bless him, and officially bestow his wand. Suddenly, he heard someone announce her approach. She was here.

Zai-feng schooled his face into a mask of filial piety. His mother approached. Her robes were adorned with phoenixes, the traditional symbol of femininity, of the empress, and of her house. Zai-feng bowed, pressing his forehead against the ground, waiting for his mother’s signal. After a long moment, she allowed him to rise. –My dear son, are you prepared to leave the palace?”

–I believe so, Mother.” He kept his eyes lowered, trying to seem like a respectful son, and not a mouse before a cat. His mother was the epitome of a cold hearted daughter of the aristocracy. People loved her and feared her.

–Where is that Father of yours? He needs to be here for the ceremony.” To anyone else, the empress sounded mildly annoyed. To Zai-feng, who knew better, her voice sent chills down his spine. She did not like to be kept waiting by anyone, particularly by the emperor.

Before he could suffer more under his mother’s gaze, a servant announced his father’s arrival. Everyone dropped to their knees. Unlike his mother, as soon as he entered the room, his father signaled that everyone should rise.

Unlike his mother, his father smiled warmly and openly. Emperor Hong-zhi carried a small lacquer box in his hands. It was a beautiful piece of craftsmanship with mother of pearl inlay and shining gold hinges, but Zai-feng was much more concerned about his wand inside.

He knew he had both earth and fire affinity. He would have set one of his first nursemaids on fire, except that she had water affinity. Zai-feng hated his inner fire. He didn’t have very strong earth affinity either. Certainly not enough to rival either of his brothers for the throne. His mother had started ignoring him after it became clear that he had no instinctive sense for earth. He would not inherit the Jade Throne. He wasn’t sure what kind of wand would be created from earth and fire affinity.

Zai-feng realized with a start, that he had been ignoring his mother bestowing her blessings. It may have been better that way. He wouldn’t have to second guess everything that his mother said. –And may the gods all bless,” his mother finished.

–Gods all bless,” the crowd murmured.

Zai-feng added a moment later, –Thank you, Mother.”

She stepped back, for the emperor to make his blessings. –My dear little son, Prince Zai-feng, we hope that you will be happy at school.” It was a typically blunt statement from his father. Zai-feng had to hide a smile. His father could be diplomatic when he wanted, but if he could get away with bluntness or honesty, as his father preferred to describe it, then he would.

–We ask the blessings of the gods for your health, and your well being as you leave Chang’an for the first time. We ask that the gods bless you with good companions in school. And lastly, we ask that the gods bless your skills and that you become strong. May the gods all bless,” he finished.

–Gods all bless,” the crowd replied again.

Zai-feng decided he was allowed a real smile. –Thank you, Father.” It was finally time for him to get his wand. He didn’t know a thing about it, except that like every other wand bound to one master, the core was wrapped in silk that had been dipped in his blood. The master wandmaker had been summarily summoned to the palace, and various measurements taken. In typical traditional fashion, the wandmaster had only conferred with his parents, particularly his father, and he had been left out of the conversation.

–And lastly, a gift from your parents before you leave.” His father opened the box. –Your first wand: a phoenix feather in white jade.” The phoenix feather almost glowed inside the translucent white jade. He could even faintly see the silk cord with his blood wrapped around the feather.

He should have been happy. His wand was beautiful. Only members of the royal family were allowed to have wands made of white jade, the rarest, most beautiful kind. But phoenix feathers were associated with those who had fire affinity. He should have had dragon heart string to tie him more properly to the earth. Emperors always had cores of dragon heart string... his father’s wand was the same white jade as his, but the inside was completely different.

He kept all those thoughts locked up inside, and kept his face unreadable, as he bowed deeply from the waist. –You have my deepest gratitude.”

As Zai-feng straightened, his father handed him the box. –Keep it well. It is a good wand.”

The prince nodded, not trusting his voice. It must have been immensely difficult to construct. It was a work of art, with dragons carved all along it. Then he noticed one phoenix. It was traditional to include some nod to the mother’s family. His siblings would have a river for the Liao clan. He had a phoenix. Just one more proof of how he was different.

Zhu-ge Liang stepped forward, with the trunks carefully shrunk and packed away. –Are you ready to depart, Your Highness?”

He took a deep breath. –Yes, Headmaster Zhu-ge Liang.” Any other response would have been wholly unacceptable. It was time to leave, and so he had to leave.

The palace was covered with anti-apparition spells to prevent invaders. So they would have to walk to the designated Apparition point.

–We leave our youngest child in your care, Headmaster,” his father said, as Prince Zai-feng struggled to turn away from his father. –Take good care of him.”

Zhu-ge Liang bowed in acknowledgement. –It is honor, Your Imperial Majesty. His Highness will be well taken care of at the Dragon Pearl.”

Li Zai-feng really had to move now. Slowly, trying to make the slowness more about appearing regal than feeling depressed about leaving, he turned and walked towards the Apparition point. Zhu-ge Liang matched his pace, careful not to step ahead of him.

They went alone. It was strange not to be flanked by groups of servants. In fact, most of the servants ignored them until they were almost in front of them. It was strange not to have people moving to the sides of the hall for twenty feet ahead.

He wondered if his brothers and sister walked around in their plain clothes from school, or even plainer clothes and people ignored them too - or if it was just how invisible he was. With the clothing of his rank, no one ever claimed he was a pretender, that was he anything other than his father’s son, but he knew what people said. He wasn’t at all charismatic like his father. If his father had ever expressed the least bit of doubt, then everyone would have.

–What is the Dragon Pearl like?” he asked, eventually to fill the silence. They were still several minutes by walking away from the Apparition point. By design, the point was as far as possible from the living quarters of the royal family and was heavily guarded. It would not do for an assassin to be able to sneak into the royal palace.

Zhu-ge Liang did not stop walking, though he did not immediately answer. –As your highness is well aware, the Dragon Pearl is located in the outskirts of Guilin. The climate is subtropical, winters are mild, summers are warm, and rainy. The Southern School is located on the water, with canals. There are several bridges and many boats for traversing the school grounds. The buildings were designed by the Phoenix Lady in the traditional Suzhou style. Was there some specific concern that your highness wished to have addressed?”

Prince Zai-feng knew all of that. Chang’an was very dry, and sometimes had droughts, which led to magical intervention and occasionally a change of scenery for the court, so he had been looking forward to a rainier climate. The Five Founders had worked together to build and design the school. The Phoenix Lady was the architect and had purposefully designed the buildings to evoke the traditional style of Suzhou, where the Phoenix Clan still resided. –Nothing in particular,” he said.

Zhu-ge Liang seemed content to pass another minute in silence. –The Dragon Pearl can be a difficult time for young royals,” he said, finally. –The aristocratic families have been waiting for another opportunity to get closer to you, since the emperor has effectively shut them down at court.”

Prince Zai-feng winced. He was aware of the situation, his father had even warned him, but it was another thing to hear it directly from the headmaster.

–It can also be a very liberating experience. The Dragon Pearl accepts students of all social classes. For the first time, your highness will be able to engage personally with the children of farmers, craftsmen and merchants.”

They had reached the Apparition point, or rather the first layer of guards to the Apparition point. Zai-feng put the thought of meeting people of wildly different social classes, people who would, at least temporarily, be his equal.

–Sir!” the guards saluted smartly. All of their kits looked well maintained, and the metal work shone on their weapons and armor, but everything had the well worn look that every day tools had. These men had been to war. To keep the palace guard in fighting shape, they did rotations with the army, but it was clear that this group had returned more recently.

Their identification papers and belongings were examined. All of his trunks were opened. Zai-feng resisted the urge to sigh. What was the point of packing carefully, if everything was just going to get upended at the check point?

–Names?” The lieutenant asked officiously. He wore a jade belt around his armor to indicate his rank.

–Zhu-ge Liang and Li Zai-feng.”

–Titles?”

–Headmaster of the Dragon Pearl and Prince of the Realm,” Zhu-ge Liang responded with a hint of amusement, possibly that even with their titles they were still required to provide them to the guards.

The guard didn’t seem to notice as he looked down a list. –Ah, yes, His Majesty did send down notice that His Highness would be leaving for the Dragon Pearl today.”

After another moment, all the trunks were closed up, shrunk back down, and their papers returned.

The second round of guards had the same look of men who had come back from war recently. One had freshly healed wounds on his face from some kind of Dark curse. This time they had to hand over their wands, and Zhu-ge Liang’s stave.

Zhu-ge Liang dutifully told the second lieutenant that they were Prince Zai-feng and Headmaster Zhu-ge Liang, headed to the Dragon Pearl, even though they had told the first lieutenant the same information.

Li Zai-feng was much more interested in what they were doing with the wands and stave, but he couldn’t tell as an older man examined both wands and stave very thoroughly, but seemingly only with his eyes and hands.

They were waved through to the third round. Li Zai-feng wondered if they kept the process so long on purpose - to prevent people from using Polyjuice Potion and impersonating others. It had taken them at least an hour to get past the first two rounds.

In this last round, they both had to drink Veritaserum and say again, who they were and where they were going.

This time, he was forced to speak as well. –My name is Li Zai-feng. I am a Prince of the Realm. My father is Emperor Hong-zhi, and my mother is Empress Yu-yan of the Phoenix Clan. I am eleven years old. I am going to the Dragon Pearl for my first year of classes.” Thankfully his voice did not waver under Veritaserum.

The captain finally cleared them. –Please step forward.” They walked together to a marked spot. There were visible archers all around, and he was sure that there were more that they could not see. If someone tried to illegally Apparate in, they would be in trouble. Zai-feng winced at the thought of the person being studded with arrows.

–It’s time to go,” Zhu-ge Liang said quietly and held out his arm.

Prince Zai-feng looked up and decided to trust his father, and put his trust in his headmaster. He took Zhu-ge Liang’s proffered arm. In another moment, they Apparated away to the start of Zai-feng’s school life.