Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Baby Steps by Padfoot11333

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Very light fluff! (This is a start for me)
–Hermione.”

–Ron.”

The silence is awkward. They look at each other, but neither of them seem to want to forget, or even acknowledge, the kiss outside the Room of Requirement.

–Look, I’m sorry if-”

–No, it didn’t-”

The two can’t seem to finish their sentences by themselves. How would they be able to finish each other’s sentences, one day?

–I didn’t mean to start anything.”

–Hermione, you didn’t-”

–Didn’t start anything? Because obviously, I did, or we wouldn’t be having this conversation, Ron.” Hermione has fire in her eyes, but it looks like something that Ron would be able to put out easily.

–I…was it a bad thing?” Ron finally asks.

Hermione stays silent for a long time. And then she brushes her hair out of her eyes, looks at Ron. –Is that really a question I have to answer right now?”

–No,” Ron says hurriedly. –I just-I just thought that was what we were looking for.”

–What we were looking for,” Hermione says, almost angrily, –was Horcruxes.”

Ron can’t argue with that one, but he searches for something to say. –Harry said that you cried every night when I was gone.”

And now Hermione is the silent one. She doesn’t want to lie, say she didn’t, because she knows that it’s true.

But sometimes you don’t always want to admit what’s true.

–Look,” Ron continues doggedly, –is making it a little more official that I really like you a bad thing?”

–It wasn’t that,” Hermione admits finally.

–Then what was it?”

–Do I have to answer that right now?” Hermione parrots herself.

–Maybe we shouldn’t be-”

–No, we need to be talking about this.” Hermione says, for the first time, certain. –But the thing is, I don’t want to.”

–Look, Hermione,” Ron says. –I…”

–You really like me, and you want to be with me,” Hermione says. –I already know that, and…I think I feel the same way. I just don’t know if I’m ready.”

–You were ready a few hours ago!”

–That was when we were all about to die,” Hermione rationalises. –Now…now, we have our whole life in front of us. Now, we can take our time.”

–But Hermione. I don’t want to have us take our time. I want us to be together now.” If Ron were in a braver mood, and if it were a different girl, he might be as brave as to start a kiss. But he doesn’t feel brave, and it’s Hermione.

–Well-–

–I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have shoute-”

–Don’t. Ron, just don’t.”

And then they are back where they started, in the middle of some row. Ron starts to apologise, but Hermione cuts them off, and with Ron’s luck, Hermione will run off to find some other boy.

–Baby steps,” Ron hears Hermione muse. He takes a step backward.

–What?”

Hermione nearly smiles. –We need to take baby steps forward.”

–What do you mean?” Ron asks, though he knows perfectly well.

–I-I don’t know if I’m ready to be with you yet, and you’re more than ready to be with me, so let’s just take it slow,” Hermione says. –Let’s just take baby steps forward.”

Ron almost smiles, and he knows what Hermione says is true. So, slowly, tentatively, he reaches for her, and he takes her hand. Hermione doesn’t let go. They walk forward, out of the rubble, into the light, and Hogwarts Castle seems so far behind them.

–How long has it been this way?” Ron says finally, breaking the silence.

–I don’t know.”

–For me,” Ron says reminiscently, –it was fourth year. After the Yule Ball. I always knew you were a girl, Hermione, I just never realised until then.”

–I guess,” Hermione says thoughtfully, –that I started thinking about you—you know, that way, I guess in sixth year. Do you have any idea how jealous I was of you and Lavender?”

–Yes,” Ron says, almost laughing, even though a moment ago they were fighting, –because you went to that Christmas party with McLaggen.”

Hermione stares at him for a second, but all Ron can see is her warm brown eyes. Not angry, just beautiful. –I did, didn’t I? I wish…” She pauses for a moment, like she’s unsure about what she’s about to say. –I wish that I’d taken you instead.”

–We had a row, didn’t we? Right before the party?”

–Yes,” Hermione says, –but I can’t even remember what it was about.”

Ron squeezes her hand, and they continue walking through the rubble.

–We had a lot of rows,” Ron says suddenly, and Hermione nods.

–Too many. And…they were all over stupid things, weren’t they?” Almost embarrassed, Hermione kicks a piece of rock along the hallway, creating an unfamiliar noise. The hallway is deserted, and it’s silent.

–I’m sorry it took this long for me to realise that I…that I…that I loved you,” Ron says, and all of a sudden, he’s unsure about what he’s said. Hermione stops walking.

–Is that what it is?” she says.

–I don’t know,” Ron says, and then carefully, –I hope so.”

He doesn’t know what Hermione will say, but she turns towards him, a warm look on her face. –I do too.”

Ron blushes, but he doesn’t try to hide it. Slowly, the two of them walk out into the sunlight.

–I know I already said this, but I’m…I’m really sorry about leaving you. And Harry.” Ron wants to make amends.

–I should…” Hermione looks downward. –I probably need to-”
–Look,” Ron says desperately, even though he’s no longer sure what he’s desperate for, –wherever you’re going, I’ll come with you. I promise, Hermione. I’ll never leave again.”

She looks up at him, and when she speaks, she almost sounds fragile. –Never?”
Ron reaches for Hermione, and when she spoons into his arms, he isn’t sure if there’s anything romantic between them at that moment. But he realises that he hopes frantically that there is.

–Hermione,” he whispers into her hair. –I know we’re taking baby steps with this relationship, if this even is a relationship. But we’ve been friends for years, and would it be too big of a step if I told you that I think I love you?”

–No,” Hermione says, as if she’s just had a world of light opened up to her eyes. –No, because I think I was about to say the same thing.”