Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Not Even Him by AidaLuthien

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Helena Ravenclaw had been dead for hundreds of years, but even death hadn’t change some things. She was still the only child of Talfryn and Rowena Ravenclaw. Her father had died when she was young, her mother had taken no second husband. Her mother was too busy with learning, with building Hogwarts, with creating new spells, and with teaching, to marry again, much less raise her only child.

She was still a member of her mother’s house through and through. Even if Helena didn’t really have new things to learn in ordinary classes, she still regularly attended advanced courses in all disciplines - even Divination, at least when someone competent taught it. Divination intrigued her, particularly centaur style divination. The small issues that occupied most people no longer concerned her. Besides, she had always loved the stars and the planets. She sat up with the Astronomy classes on many nights. She read every book in the library and regularly requested new books be bought and added to the collections. She regularly read The Daily Prophet and other newspapers.

As in life, she was always willing to help her Housemates, but she didn’t normally associate with the other students. There were younger students, not Ravenclaws, of course, who claimed that they never heard her speak. Eventually, even her name had faded away from common knowledge. They called her the Grey Lady now.

It was better that way. At first, everyone had known the story of her and Orion. How she had stolen her mother’s diadem, and her mother had sent Orion to chase her. She wondered if her mother appreciated the irony of sending a man named Orion to chase a woman. When he finally caught her in the lands that eventually came to be called Albania, she only had time to hide the diadem before he killed her, then committed suicide. Even now he was covered in her blood and bore chains for his crime. As years went by, the stories faded away. She was happier being the anonymous ghost of Ravenclaw House. She told her personal name to her favorites in her house, and that was all.

It had been years since she talked with a student who was not a Ravenclaw. She preferred to keep her mysteries, and the students in the other Houses did not interest her. She was a Ravenclaw, academically inclined. Helena did not care much for other people in life - she cared even less now that she was dead.

And so Helena was very surprised by this young man. He knew her name. He knew her story. And she did not recognize him. He was a Slytherin, not a Ravenclaw and he wore the badge of the Head Boy. He looked very young. Of course, now that she had been dead for hundreds of years, all of the students looked young. They seemed to grow younger all the time. His hair was dark, his skin, surprisingly pale. His cheek bones sat high on his round face, while his lips were full. His eyes were very dark. He wore a heavy signet ring on his left hand, which surprised her. He was a very good looking young man.

Instead of being offended by the youth’s forthrightness, Helena was curious. He flattered her - but many had before. Something was different about him. –I’m sorry, I don’t think I caught your name.” She didn’t know any of the other students outside her house. She had heard Nearly Headless Nick complain about the Slytherin Head Boy, but she didn’t pay much attention.

–Tom Marvolo Riddle,” he said with a sweeping bow. He was trying to be formal, perhaps even trying to hearken back to the time when she was alive; however, that particular form of courtly bow came into style some centuries after her death.

He looked well enough. No man was ever good enough for her, no man ever met her standards, but there was something about him, something that intrigued her. –Master Riddle, many have asked me about my mother’s diadem over the years, what makes you think that you will be the one to get this information from me?”

He bowed again. –I only wish to converse with someone as wise as you, who lived when the Founders did. I only informed you of my prior knowledge so that you would know how serious I am about historical research.”

Helena eyed the young man suspiciously. –A Slytherin never only wants to converse,” she commented. –The core tenet of Slytherin House has always been vaunting ambition.” Slytherins did not move unless it benefited them. A true Slytherin never undertook an action without some motive - and that motive was usually not kindness.

The young man stirred, shifting his weight ever so slightly. –Oh? Slytherin is also the house of the pure bloods, the house of the founder who left Hogwarts in a rage over Gryffindor’s acceptance of Muggleborns.”

His name sounded like a Muggle one. He probably had not an easy time in his house. Slytherins knew families trees and bloodlines better than anyone else. He had probably heard more often than not, that the most important trait to being a true Slytherin was blood purity. –Yes, Salazar also prized blood purity but I think he would pick a half blood or a Muggle born with real ambition than a pure blood with none,” Helena volunteered.

–The Hat takes into account our choices,” Riddle responded. –I think some of my Housemates choose Slytherin and refuse all other choices, regardless of their suitability for the House.” His voice was even, but Helena thought she could detect an undertone of bitterness. Clearly, he had experienced prejudice from his pure blood housemates. Slytherin was the House most likely to judge its own members, followed by Gryffindor. Hufflepuff was probably the only house to embrace any member wholeheartedly, regardless of anything.

Helena considered this. –Not all our choices are the right choices, particularly at eleven years old,” she conceded. –You are interesting, Tom Riddle. Come back some time.” She floated away through the wall. A Muggle born Slytherin only came around every few decades.

When she did not see the mysterious Slytherin Head Boy for another fortnight, she was almost annoyed. It had been years since someone had intrigued her so much. In the meantime, she did some quiet investigation into his background. He was an orphan, he still spent his summer holidays at the orphanage. Professor Dumbledore had been the one to speak to Riddle at the orphanage. Riddle had displayed knowledge of his magic, his ability to do things that other children couldn’t do.

She found herself attending the NEWT Potions class. Horace Slughorn acknowledged her with a nod, but otherwise left her to her own devices. She did not often visit the Potions classes, if only because she was not corporeal enough to actually mix Potions. She had enjoyed making Potions when she was alive. The precision appealed to her.

The class had a high proportion of Slytherins, but that was the norm. Ravenclaws were usually the second highest group, with a few Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors. Slytherins tended to do well at Potions, for reasons that she could never quite completely puzzle out. A surprisingly high number of Slytherin’s Heads of House were also the Potions Masters or Mistresses of Hogwarts. Potions was a powerful field of magic, one that certainly provided for the dreams of glory that many Slytherins nourished, and it was one that required finesse - something many young Gryffindors certainly lacked.

Tom was certainly among the Slytherins who did well at Potions. His technique at NEWT level hovered between an O and an E, she decided. He did not care enough for the fine details of the craft to become a true master. Still, it was more than good enough for most fields where Potions making was not as critical, like being an Auror.

As class ended, Tom fell in next to her. –It’s a pleasure to see you again,” he murmured. –I have a free period. Shall we chat?”

She inclined her head, and followed him down the hall, to an empty indoor courtyard. Tom gestured to a bench, and she sank into it. He sat next to her. Most people didn’t sit so close to ghosts, not if they could help it. It was too unnerving. But there was Tom, sitting next to her, too close for propriety’s sake while she was alive.

–Have you been well?” Tom asked.

Helena gave him a quizzical look. –I am dead, young man.”

Tom laughed at that. It was a nice sound. –That’s true, and thank you for the demonstration of real Ravenclaw wit.”

Helena had never cared much for niceties, and she was still curious about what the young Slytherin wanted. –You wanted to know what the Founders were like?”

–Yes. You’re the best possible authority on what life was really like during the Founders time.” He leaned forward, and his eyes were shining. He was as eager as any young Ravenclaw, desperately wanting to know what their original Head of House was like.

She decided to start with Gryffindor, just to see how Tom would react. –Godric had more sense than you might guess given the kind of people that are normally put into his House, but less than my mother, Salazar and Helga would have preferred.”

Tom still looked interested. She was surprised. –He resembled a lion in some ways, with his big red beard. In a way, his house symbol was the most obvious. It was the crest of his shield, as well, a gold lion rampant on a red field. Everything about him was fierce.”

They sat like that, Helena telling all kinds of stories about the old days until Tom reluctantly stood up. –I’m sorry to cut our discussions short, but I have NEWT Transfiguration, and Professor Dumbledore doesn’t like tardy students.”

Helena paused. Had an entire period already gone by? How strange that she was losing her concentration like this. –Yes, you had better go then. Come back some time, Tom.” She watched him go and was surprised to feel something very akin to sadness. How strange. Everything about him was strange.

After a week, she went looking for him again. Certainly, he was busy, being Head Boy, taking several NEWT level classes, but didn’t he realize that she didn’t just talk to anyone? She had given her time, her thoughts, the least he could do was come and see her.

She ignored the Bloody Baron floating just outside the Slytherin Common Room. Orion’s gaze still pierced her as earnestly as it had in life. He was a stupid, foolish man. She had rejected him enough times and run away to the continent. She should have been safe. And then he chased her again anyway. It had led to the destruction of them both.

Then Tom appeared. –Ah, Lady Ravenclaw. I was just going to look for you. Shall we?” He gestured to the hall, offering his arm.

–Yes, that would be nice.” She floated down and took his arm. Despite a strong urge to, she didn’t look back at Orion. He could suffer for all she cared. She heard a faint clank of chains, but she didn’t turn around. She refused to give him the satisfaction.

Tom picked another small courtyard for them to sit in. This time, they were close enough that their legs brushed once in awhile. Helena was careful enough not to let him pass through her. That would be very unpleasant for him and not particularly fun for her either, but she couldn’t resist making believe that she could touch him.

At first they talked about the Founders, about how they chose the site for Hogwarts, and how much of the castle was original. Her mother had studied Roman plumbing, so many, though not all of the fixtures actually did date back to her time.

They sat in silence for a moment.

–It is almost my Death Date,” Helena said eventually.

–Will you celebrate?” Tom asked. –It’s my understanding that it’s traditional to.”

–No. It is also the Death Date of the Bloody Baron, and we both agreed, a long time ago that we did not need others knowing our business.”

They sat in silence for a moment. Tom reached up and barely brushed her hair. –I wish we had lived in the same era.”

Helena sighed, and leaned back against the bench. There was no man good enough. Tom was just a child, for all that he was quite handsome and very intelligent.

–I do,” Tom insisted. He twisted the signet ring around his finger. –Unfortunately, you’ll have to let me convince you some other time. I have a meeting to attend to.” She sat up, and he looked into her eyes very deeply for a long moment, before he turned away. –Some other time, my lady.”

Helena could throw something she was so frustrated. She hadn’t met such an irritating, intriguing person in decades. Tom filled her thoughts.

She shouldn’t care. She couldn’t even sleep. Of course, she didn’t need to sleep and she hadn’t slept since she was alive. So she was stuck stalking the halls of the castle. Helena was becoming the definition of a wandering ghost.

Helena heard Orion coming from the clanking of his chains. –Stay away from me,” she said, turning to glide through a wall.

As she passed through the wall, she ran through Tom. –I’m so sorry,” she exclaimed. –The one person she had been hoping to see, and she managed to run right through him in the middle of the night as he was doing his rounds.

–Lady Ravenclaw,” Tom said, surprised. –I didn’t expect to see you tonight.” He looked up at her face. –Are you alright? And I know you’re not alive, but you appear rather distraught.”

Helena was in too much shock for levity. –I... I was running from the Baron.”

Tom glanced at the clock. Its hands were pointed at, –Time to go to sleep.” He shrugged. –My shift is over, but I can stay up with you for awhile. Where would you like to go, my lady?”

–The Astronomy Tower,” she answered instantly. Orion wouldn’t dare follow them there. As in life, he preferred the dungeons of the castle. She was on edge for most of the trip, listening carefully for any clanking. It was only when they started climbing the stairs of the Astronomy Tower that Helena started to relax again.

It was a cold wintry night, and Tom shivered when they got to the top. –When you said the Astronomy Tower, I didn’t know you meant the viewing platform.”

–The Baron wouldn’t dare come here,” she said, gazing out at the night sky. She spotted the constellation he was named for, the bright three stars of his belt, and turned away. –You didn’t have to come up here with me.”

He shrugged. –I didn’t want to leave you alone.”

–Were you left alone... at the orphanage?”

He started. –No one knows about the orphanage,” he warned her. –I kept it from the other Slytherins. They’re all curious about where I spend my summers, but they don’t need to know how different I am from them.”

She nodded. –I’m sorry for enquiring into your personal life.”

–It’s fine,” he smiled. –I found out your history. It’s only right that you should know mine.” He sighed. –It was hard. I never knew my parents. My mother died bringing me to the orphanage, she only told the director what I should be named - Tom for my father and Marvolo for my grandfather. Until Professor Dumbledore came and told me that I was a wizard, I thought I was doomed to be different forever, to be weird Tom Riddle that would never have a family. The other Slytherins don’t understand, what it’s like to work for everything that comes your way, to not be wanted by anyone.” He was twisting the signet ring again, as he spoke.

–I wish I could have been there,” she said before she could stop herself.

He shook his head. –It’s better this way. Meeting you like this. I wouldn’t change this moment for anything.” He hesitated. –It’s stupid in a way. I barely know you, but I feel like I’ve known you forever. I don’t even mind sharing my secrets with you.”

Helena’s head was spinning. She sat down on the edge of the platform. Tom eyed her. –Are you sure that’s safe?”

–I’m already dead,” she pointed out. –I can’t slip. Even if I did, I could just float back into the Tower.” She smiled. –You don’t need to worry about me so much, Tom.

–I can’t help it,” he whispered. –I want to protect you. I want to make you happy. I’d do anything for you.”

Helena had heard words like this a lifetime ago. But this time she believed the Slytherin who is saying it. She thought of the man she called uncle, Godric Gryffindor and prayed for courage. This was a risk, a stupid risk, but she couldn’t seem to help herself. –Would you really do anything?” she whispered.

–Absolutely anything,” he responded.

She took a deep breath and believed in him. –You already know the story, but you don’t know the details. My mother was a brilliant witch, but she was a terrible mother. She cared more for her crafts, for her spells then she ever did for me.”

–It must have been so hard,” he murmured.

She swallowed. Helena was dead. She could no longer cry, so why did she feel tears burning behind her eyes? –So I stole her diadem and I ran. For once in my life, she would pay attention to me. I ran for years, until I finally settled in...” She didn’t even remember what the original name of the nation was. –Well, it’s called Albania now.”

–Albania... why there?”

–Godric had a cousin who settled near there. I didn’t go to see him, but I thought, that if I ever did want to go home, I could just contact him. Besides, there was a decent set of magical nobility with good libraries that I could look through,” she added, trying for a bit of levity.

–Forever a Ravenclaw,” he replied.

–Even after death,” she agreed. –I don’t know why my mother sent Orion after me. I had turned him down enough times at Hogwarts. I wonder if she realized the irony. She sent Orion the hunter, after a woman, and they both died.” She sighed and looked back up at Orion the constellation.

–Did he want the diadem?” Tom asked.

Helena laughed, bitterly. –I’m not even sure. When I told him that I had hid it, and that I had no intention of returning to Britain, he killed me in one strike. I didn’t even know that my mother was dying until I awoke here, as a ghost.” Godric had told her. She was too late to see her mother ever again.

–And even now I can’t escape from him. He returned to Hogwarts as well.” Her lips twisted in a bitter smile. –Even now he wears my blood and chains in penance for his crimes.”

Tom reached for her hand, but he slid through her. He shivered involuntarily. –Ah, I’m sorry. I have to concentrate on corporeality.” She concentrated, and he held her hand.

–I’m amazed that after all that, you even spoke with me,” he said.

–It’s been centuries, it would be stupid to hold the crimes of one Slytherin against his entire house.”

–But we graduate after seven years... and he remains here. You’re so strong to endure his presence here.” Suddenly Tom was on his knees on the ground. –I beg your forgiveness on behalf of all Slytherins.”

If Helena still had blood, then it would have rushed to her cheeks. –No, it’s not your fault.”

–Forgive my impudence then, in asking so much from you, when I already knew that the Bloody Baron was at fault for your death.”

–I would forgive you anything,” she whispered. He stood up, slowly and got back on to the bench.

Before she could change her mind, she blurted out, –Take the diadem. I hid it in a hollow of a tree, up in the Alps in Albania before Orion came for me. Gods only know whether it is still there. Take it, Tom.”

–Thank you, Helena,” he whispered and pulled her towards him. Even though she was dead, and he was alive, he held her. –I’ll keep it safe. I promise.”

If she could have cried, she would have.

He whispered into her hair. –I’ll never betray you.”

–Come back after you graduate, Tom,” she said, barely able to speak.

–I’ll try. I’m hoping to get Professor Merrythought’s position as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher when I graduate.”

He would come back to her. He would be at Hogwarts for years. For the first time in centuries, Helena Ravenclaw felt her heart lighten.