Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

48 Hours of Power by Snidgetgirl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hi! This is my first chaptered fanfic! If you read this and have any funny ideas that you would like me to add to a later chapter, leave it in the review spot!
I was running through Hogsmeade. The snow was falling harder as I ran into Honeydukes. I looked wildly around for a hiding place, but the shop was completely empty. Heart pounding, I ran back out into the street and looked around wildly. Where can I go? I thought to myself. I looked back down the street and the person I was dreading to see appeared right behind me.

– Hey Evans! Slow down!” he called to me as he twirled his wand threateningly in front of me. I looked around again, but before I knew it his wand had turned into a pillow and James himself had turned into Petunia. She laughed at me and then threw the pillow hard right at my face.

–Oi! Lily! Wake up! You are going to be late!" My eyes flew open and I looked around. I was in my bed, and I was still at home. James Potter hadn’t thrown the pillow, as it happens, it was only my mum. I watched her retreating figure disappear through my doorframe. I heaved a giant sigh. The new term hadn’t even started yet, and there I was, already worried about James Potter.

I hopped out of bed and rummaged around in my dresser for some Muggle clothes and then went to the bathroom to get ready for the day. Once inside the bathroom I promptly locked the door, as Petunia had an annoying habit of walking in on me and not caring about it. I showered, brushed my teeth and hair and put on the Muggle clothes. I was running late and I didn’t have time to dry my hair, so I ran all around the house packing up my Hogwarts trunk. I was very excited to be starting my fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! I checked my clock and realized that I had fifteen minutes until we were to leave. I ran down the stairs and buttered up a bit of toast, munching and packing spare parchment, quills and books. At the last minute I remembered the funny quil that claimed to be 'magic'. Isn't everything in the magical community 'magic?' I snapped the buckled on the trunk closed and slumped on the floor next to it.

With the last few minutes I had to spare, I went downstairs to the kitchen to say goodbye to my dad. He was staying home because Petunia had flat out refused to come with us to King’s Cross Station. Honestly, I don’t know why she hates everything to do with magic. Oh, and everything to do with me.

–Goodbye dad! See you in the summer!” I said as I kissed his cheek.

–Bye Lily. I’ll miss you!” he said as he pulled me in for a hug. I looked at Petunia hopefully.

–Well, good luck at Pigwarts, I guess,” she said rather snottily. I sighed.

–It’s Hogwarts, Petunia. Hogwarts School of-,"

–Witchcraft and Wizardry, yes, yes. I know what I said,” she retorted angrily, with an air of superiority.

–Love you too!” I replied cheerfully. I’d dealt with Petunia too long to let her get to me. And with that, we left the house and drove to King’s Cross Station. Luckily, we don’t live too far from the train station.

When we arrived, we got a cart for my trunk, and walked to the wall separating platforms nine and ten. I casually leaned against the wall, and fell through to platform 9 3/4. I looked at mum’s face; this never failed to impress her. I looked around and saw my fellow classmates, friends, and unfortunately, James Potter. James Potter was the only drawback of going to Hogwarts. He seemed to be glowering at someone. I looked in the direction he was looking and saw, unsurprisingly, Severus Snape. Will they ever stop fighting? No, probably not, I answered myself. I turned to my mother, gave her a hug, said goodbye, and then went to join Severus on the far side of the platform.

–Hey Evans!" James Potter’s annoying voice called to me.

–Hello Potter,” I said without bothering to turn around and look at him. Severus saw me, and his face lit up. He waved me over to him.

–Sev! How are you?” I said excitedly as I gave him a hug.

–Oh, um, well, I guess I’m alright. How about you?”

–Oh, I’m just lovely,”

–Yea, I spent most of my summer locked up in my room. Stupid parents,” he said gloomily.

–Are they any better at all?” I ask quietly.

–Not unless you count them fighting more than ever an improvement,” he responded bitterly.

–Well, let’s go find a seat before they’re all taken!” I said cheerfully, trying to cheer him up. He threw Potter a contemptuous glare before following me onto the train. We found an empty compartment and put our trunks up in the rack. I opened our window, and looked for mum through the steam billowing out in front of me from the train.

–Goodbye mum! See you at Christmas! I love you!” I shouted along with most of the other kids with their heads stuck out of the windows. I put my head back inside and closed the window. Severus was looking slightly crestfallen. I always wished that he had someone to say goodbye to out the train window.

The train ride was a very quiet affair. Something was obviously on Severus’ mind, but he wouldn’t tell me what. Feeling awkward, I looked for a book to read in my trunk. After a few hours passed, the witch with the trolley made her way down to us. I bought a load of sweets, and offered half to Severus.

–Thanks Lily,” he said gratefully. This seemed to warm him up.

–So, anything exciting happen during the holiday?” he asked me.

–Not really. I visited my relatives. Oh, Petunia has a boyfriend! Vernon Dursley. He’s a complete idiot. Can’t even get my name right! Some days I was Daisy, others I was Rose. I don’t know how long it will take him to get my name through his abnormally thick head. I mean, how hard is it to remember the name Lily?” I huffed in exasperation.

–Sounds like a git,” Severus replied.

–Yes, he most certainly is. What did you do?” I asked him.

–Absolutely nothing. I had to escape during the day just out of pure boredom. That’s why I was at your house so often, ” he answered sadly.

Indeed, Severus had come round my house quite a few times. I felt sorry that he never wanted to spend time with his parents, or in his own house. I couldn’t imagine not wanting to be in my own house.

–I had fun when you came over! It was cool showing you my room and just hanging around. It bothered Petunia to no end!” I said brightly, trying to lighten the mood. He smiled.

–You know, I tried to write a book all summer,” I said matter-of-factly, examining my nails absentmindedly. His expression became quizzical.

–Really? What’s it about?” he asked.

–Well, It was supposed to be funny, but I thought it was absolute rubbish so I-– I broke off mid sentence. James Potter and his best mate Sirius Black were standing in the doorway. Oh great.

–Hey Evans, why don’t you come to our compartment. There is a lot less grease there,” he said as he looked disgustedly at Severus.

–Potter, are you feeling light headed?” I asked curiously. A puzzled look crossed his face.

–No. Why?”

–No, of course not. How silly of me. There is no possible way that a head a large as yours could ever feel light. Now go away,” I said scathingly.

James rolled his eyes and left without a fight. I got up and slammed the door behind them.

–Stupid gits,” I said.

"Anyway, I thought about trying to write it with my new 'magic' quill," I said.

"Magic?" he questioned.

"That's what it says. Maybe it can fly, I don't know," I replied with a chuckle. Severus looked out of the darkening window.

–We’re getting close. We should change into our robes now,” Severus said.

–Alright. Are you leaving, or am I?” I asked.

–I will. I’ll see you on the platform,” he said with a smile and a wave.

–See you soon!” I called after him. I threw my robes on and waited for the throng of students all pushing each other out of the train to pass, and then I got out. I looked out past Hagrid and the huge crowd of students and saw Hogwarts. I breathed in deeply, and thought that the year would be special.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for sticking it out! I know that it was long and boring, but no more! It will be funny from here on out!