Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Iris albicans by Lost_Robin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

I gave this a warning of AU because I added two characters, but it follows canon with a couple differences. And thank you, thank you, thank you to BrokenPromise!
Chapter Notes: Please enjoy!

The girl gasped. She looked at it again, pushing her dark hair out her light green eyes. The potion was red. It wasn’t supposed to be red. Good Godric, why? She’d better tell him. But he wasn’t there. She had no idea where he was or how to find him. So she did the best next thing.

–Remus, can you come over? Like, now?”she called through the fireplace, –I really need your help!”The fire turned emerald green and spit out a young man with patched robes and a worried look on his face.

–What’s the matter this time, Anne? Do you have to babysit Harry again?”Remus started to chuckle but after he looked at her frowning face, he quickly stopped.

–It’s red. It’s supposed to be blue. This can’t be possible.” Remus thought for a moment, his forehead creasing.

–You’re …” He started, unable to find the right words and not wanting to believe it.

–Pregnant. With his child. I know.” Anne slumped down and Remus caught her. –Oh Merlin, why? Why me? What am I going to do, Remus?” She started crying. Remus had an idea.

–Why don’t you live with me? That way you’ll be safe and hidden.” Anne looked up at him and snorted.

–Hidden from who? James?”She rolled her eyes. –I can take on my twin brother.”

–I’m talking about Voldemort.” Remus’ tone was serious. –He’s already going after James and Lily. You’re not safe. Come live at Iris Cottage.” He sounded worried. –Who’s the father?”

–Who do you think? Sirius, of course.” She scoffed. –But I can’t tell him. I haven’t seen him in a few weeks.” Remus thought for a moment, going over, in his mind, where Sirius would hide.

–I think I know where he went. I’ll be right back.” Remus spun around and Apparated out. Anne stood up and started pacing around the kitchen of her small flat. This was not how she had planned on getting pregnant. She had hoped to be Mrs. Sirius Black and then have his child. Not the other way around.

Anne wondered where Sirius had gone this time. His couldn’t have gone to his normal hideout, she thought, because I’m standing in it. She knew where Remus lived, sort of. It was in a forest in Wales. He wasn’t at Godric’s Hollow, because James and Lily were under the Fidelius Charm.

There was a loud pop, and Remus appeared with a shaggy black Newfoundland. The dog bounced over and tackled Anne. He started licking her face.

–Down, boy!” Anne pushed off Sirius. The dog sat down and transformed back into a still shaggy young man.

–Hey, Annie-kins. How’s my girl?” Before Anne could respond, a silvery Phoenix flew into the room. It landed in front of Remus.

–Moony, what is it?”

–A message from Dumbledore.” The Phoenix opened its beak and spoke.

–Remus, Sirius, Anne. James and Lily are dead. Harry is alive. Voldemort is gone.” It dissipated immediately. Sirius immediately stood up. Anne sat down on the linoleum floor and started crying.

–Where are you going Sirius?”

–I’m going to Godric’s Hollow.”Sirius walked out of the kitchen and called out behind him –I’ll be back soon.” He walked out the door and seconds later, they heard the roar of his motorbike.

A few days later…

–Anne!” Remus came out of the fire, covered in ash and sweating. Anne got up from the table.

–Did you hear anything?” Remus sat down while she got him a cup of tea.

–You’re not going to like this. Peter’s dead.” Remus’ voice was grim.

–What are you leaving out?” Remus didn’t answer. –Remus John Lupin, you better answer me.” She glared at him, almost an exact copy of her sister in law’s glare, which Remus had survived many times.”Where’s Sirius?”

–He’s …” Remus trailed off.

–What, Remus? He’s dead?”

–He killed Peter! He gave away James and Lily’s secret to Voldemort.” Anne was shocked. Sirius would do many things that seem off, but he would never betray his friends. He would have rather died than betray them.

–Sirius would never do that. He would never do that, Remus. He loves us.” Remus looked up at her, his eyes filled with tears.

–But he did.” He got up. –Come on. You’re coming to Wales with me.” This time, Anne complied.

Over the next few weeks, Anne packed up the flat she had lived in with him. She couldn’t even say his name anymore. She was right about where Remus lived. Iris Cottage was in the middle of a forest. It was however, near a Wizarding University that Remus would occasionally substitute at. She quit St Mungo’s and got a job at the university hospital. Over the next few months, Anne worked and wondered what the child she was carrying would look like. Would it have her hazel eyes or his grey eyes? She never wanted to see his eyes ever again.

Anne enjoyed life in Wales. It was a lot calmer than London. She was in charge of a maternity ward here. It was only a few more months until the baby was born. She knew for sure that it was girl and she was thinking of names. Remus had suggested a couple of names, but they were dreadful. Who would name their child Cassandra, Imogen, Ophelia, or Desdemona? Anne personally preferred names like Katherina, Beatrice, and Helena. But she had come up with an even better name. Iris. It fit because Remus’ little cottage was surrounded by irises.

She did miss living near all of her friends. Especially Lily. On the first train ride, Remus had quietly chuckled at his new friends. He had always acted surprised when they had included him in anything. Anne hadn’t known why, until their fourth year. He had finally told her about his furry little problem. He had looked her straight in the eye and told her, rather simply: –I’m a werewolf.” She had almost laughed, but the look on his face was serious. Anne had been surprised, but she had suspected as much. Why else would quiet, studious Remus have a family emergency every full moon?

Around two o clock in the morning, Anne felt the baby kicking. She called to Remus.

–What?” He called, still asleep. The baby squirmed again. Anne screamed: –REMUS! THE BABY IS COMING! DO SOMETHING, YOU MORON!” Remus jumped out of bed and pulled on a coat. He ran into Anne’s room.

–Come on, we’re taking the floo.” Remus tossed Floo powder into the fire and said: –Brisen University Hospital.” They arrived in the lobby. One of Anne’s coworkers was there. She helped them into a room, where a Healer was already waiting for them. Remus was told to wait outside. A few trips to the café later, Remus heard the Healer tell Anne that it was almost over, just one more push. Anne screamed and Remus rushed in. Anne was holding a little pink squirming baby.

–Hey Remus, look at her. Isn’t she cute?” –Yeah,” he said sheepishly. He had never really been around babies before. This one was rather cute, like the kitten he had found the week before, a tiny orange tabby.

A couple days later, they brought Iris home. They had turned the spare bedroom into a nursery, painted with characters from Winnie the Pooh, Anne’s favorite childhood book.

Remus watched her grow up into a smiling little girl with dark blonde hair and grey eyes. He bandaged her scrapes and bruises and taught her how to read. He held her close when Anne died suddenly when Iris was four. She had gotten a rare Wizarding disease from one of her patients. They buried her in the Potter graveyard next to her parents.

As Anne was lowered into the ground, Remus looked over at Iris. He wondered what her future was going to be like, what house she would be in. Hoping her future wouldn’t be filled with the tragedy her cousin suffered. Little did he know that her father would escape Azkaban and head towards their beloved Hogwarts the year Iris started there…

Chapter Endnotes: Please tell me what you thought. New chapters will be posted as I write them, so expect the next one in a couple days or so.