Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Chocolate Frog Cards by panda_patronus

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

First Romione story!
Chapter Notes: Thanks for reading and please review!
Hermione was walking around Hogsmeade, her arms crossed over her chest, looking at the newly reconstructed buildings around her. A year ago on that very same day, Voldemort had been defeated once and for all. All that had been left was to pick up all the pieces and get life back to the way it used to be.... sort of.

Hogsmeade had suffered the least damage, but it still didn’t look the way it used to. The Three Broomsticks smelled strongly of cement, and the stone walls that made up the building structure were looking less like the old medieval demeanor than ever before. And yet, Madame Rosemerta was inside, brewing up some of her meade. Zonko’s was still under construction, and George Weasley was doing his best to fix it up, probably so he could purchase it and make it another branch of his quickly expanding joke shop. Honeydukes had just reopened yesterday, and they had celebrated by giving everyone one a free Chocolate Frog, with the newly printed cards of heroes from the Battle of Hogwarts, most notably being Harry, Ron, and herself.
Hermione reached her hand into her pocket and let her fingers brush over the Chocolate Frog card that was still in her pocket. She pulled it out and smiled at the man with flaming red hair grinning sexily at her. Ron.

She and Ron had been going out for exactly a year now, but today wasn’t really a day to celebrate, for people were mourning the death of loved ones. Besides, Ron had been away on Auror business with Harry; Ginny had told her so after her final N.E.W.T. examination. So celebrating their relationship would have to wait until Ron came back, whenever that may be.

Remarkable things happen when you least expect it, so Hermione was surprised when a voice from behind her called, –I see you’re looking as beautiful as ever.”

Hermione spun around, her bushy brown hair flowing in the light spring wind, dropping the Chocolate Frog card in her hand. Ron Weasley was standing there, his hands in his trouser pockets, grinning just like his image on the Chocolate Frog card.

–Ron!” Hermione breathed as Ron stepped forward, his blue eyes shining. She quickly smoothed down her hair in an attempt to tame it, and Ron laughed lightly. Hermione narrowed her eyes. –You frightened me,” she told him crossly, letting her arms resettle across her chest as she turned up her nose away from him.

Ron, still grinning, slung his arm around her waist and pulled her into him, and, Hermione had to admit, it sent shivers up her spine. –Are you mad?”

–Well, no,” Hermione replied, letting her head rest on his shoulder, and Ron kissed the top of her head. –Actually, I’m rather pleased to see you.”

–Then the feeling’s mutual,” Ron whispered. Hermione lifted her head off of Ron’s shoulder and, standing on her tiptoes, for Ron was so tall, leaned into him and pressed her lips to his. Fireworks erupted, and they stood there for a while, enjoying the moment. As they broke apart, Hermione felt dazed.

–So, Ron, how was your official Auror business?”

–You know, the usual,” Ron replied simply with a shrug. –There was a bloke who claimed he was a Death Eater trying to start a reformation, and he actually drew a Dark Mark on his arm, but no one would listen.” Ron snorted. –Bloody idiot. And they sent us to restrain him, thinking he could be dangerous. The Ministry’s gone mad, I tell you-”

–Well, Ron, you can’t really blame them,” Hermione pointed out logically. –Ever since Voldemort’s been gone once and for all, they’ve been working their hardest to make sure that nothing like that ever happens again, and-” She stopped, seeing that Ron wasn’t really listening. Instead, he was staring at something on the path they were standing on. It was the Chocolate Frog card.

–How the hell did that get there?” Ron wondered aloud, bending down to pick it up.

Hermione quickly pulled out her wand and, pointing at the card, muttered, –Accio!” the card flew into her hand before Ron’s fingers even brushed it, and Hermione held onto the card for dear life, slightly crinkling it, much to the annoyance of the picture Ron.

Ron looked amused. –It’s mine,” Hermione explained, feeling her cheeks heat up slightly as she stuck her wand back into her pocket.

–I can tell,” Ron responded, reaching into his pocket and pulling out another card; this one had Hermione’s face on it, the edges of her bushy hair hiding behind the frame as she winked at Ron.

–I bring this with me everywhere,” Ron said sheepishly, and Hermione couldn’t help but smile slightly. Ron looked at the card fondly. –I love reading it.” He flipped the card over and read, – ‘Hermione Jean Granger, one of Harry Potter’s best friends. Helped defeat You-Know-Who in the battle of Hogwarts in 1997. Considered the brightest witch of her age, Miss Granger lives with her Muggle parents in London, but is currently finishing her seventh and final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, for she couldn’t last year when she was traveling with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.’”

–There’s nothing special about what they say there,” Hermione said dismissively. –They say practically the same thing for everyone, they just tweak the facts is all.”

–Yeah, I know,” Ron responded. His eyes were still focusing on the Hermione card. He lifted his gaze, his blue eyes melting into Hermione’s brown ones. Hermione felt a shiver go up her spine. –There’s just something I really want to add to my card.”

–And what in the name of Merlin could that possibly be?” Hermione asked with bemusement; Ron’s card was flawless, saying how he was loyal and true and rather witty. It talked about how he was one of Harry’s best friends, obviously, but it pointed out that he was more than that.

Ron, stepping closer to Hermione, put the Chocolate Frog Card in his trouser pocket, and pulled out a small velvet covered box instead. Hermione gasped as Ron knelt down on the ground in front of her, a nervous smile on his face, his ears going red. He took a deep breath, and Hermione felt numb.

–Hermione,” Ron said breathlessly, and Hermione found that she couldn’t close her mouth. It seemed to be stuck open in a perpetual –o”. –I can’t remember the days where you weren’t a major part of my life. Sure, we’ve had our fair share of arguments, we’ve even stopped talking, but through it all we’ve stayed close. And just this past year, we’ve grown closer. And yeah, sometimes you could be insufferable, and a know-it-all, but you know what I’ve realized? You’re my know-it-all. And I really don’t think I can stand another day without calling you my wife. So…uh…damn, I'm bad at this...Hermione, will you…will you m-marry me?”

Ron opened the small velvet box, and inside was a beautiful diamond ring. It was simple, but that was what Hermione liked. The best part was that the diamond was in the shape of a little heart.

Hermione felt her eyes well with tears of happiness. –Of course I’ll marry you!” she replied, her tears now lightly streaking down her face. Ron looked exuberant. He slowly reached for Hermione’s left hand, and after she placed it gingerly in his own, he slid the ring onto Hermione’s ring finger. Hermione looked at it fondly, not believing what had just happened.

Ron stood up, grinning like a fool. Hermione threw herself into his arms, wrapping her own around his neck. Over Ron’s shoulder, she lifted the Chocolate Frog card she was holding up so she could read it. Tiny gold letters were forming now on the bottom:

–Engaged to Hermione Granger, another of Harry Potter’s closest companions. Together, they will share a lifetime of happiness.”

–You bet we will,” Hermione whispered fondly, clinging on to Ron, taking in his scent and letting tears of joys slide down her cheeks, promising herself that she'd never lose the Chocolate Frog Card in her hand.