Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Not A Date by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Happy birthday to my very favorite Marauder! This is for Natalie who was one of the first to encourage my mad descent into the James/Lily-verse and who reminded us that it was Prongs' birthday today and convinced me to post it.
She also convinced me to post the second part. Madness.
Finally, a bit of a warning: this is dialogue only. If you don't like dialogue only, please try one of my other James/Lily stories. I have about a hundred. :)



"Evening, Evans."

"Potter! You startled me."

"Sorry. I didn't expect to run into anyone. So what are you doing up here on a such a nice night?"

"Astronomy, genius. It is the Astronomy Tower, after all. What are you doing up here?"

"Oh, I just wanted to sit and think for a while. Alone."

"Alone? Where's your better half?"

"I assume you mean Remus and not Sirius."

"Maybe I meant Peter."

"Doubt it. But they're all in detention."

"Naturally. And how did you get out of it?"

"I was already in detention when they got in trouble."

"Brilliant."

"No, not really, just lucky. Then again, I get my birthday off, but they're shelving dusty old books with Madam Pince for the next three hours, so what's the point if I have to spend it alone?"

"It's your birthday?"

"Same day, every year."

"I didn't realize. Er, happy birthday."

"Thanks. I think."

"So why are you up here and not celebrating somewhere else?"

"I told you I wanted to think."

"And you weren't kidding."

"I can be serious once in a while, you know."

"Well, you don't show it much."

"Sort of like how you don't let anyone see your fun side?"

"I can be fun!"

"I know. I remember last year's Quidditch Cup, but you don't show it much."

"Yes, well, we both have reputations to uphold, don't we?"

"What, I'm fun and you're not?"

"I'm serious and you're not."

"And yet neither is really true, is it?"

"I suppose. Potter, what are you doing?"

"I'm trying to get comfortable. Budge over."

"You move, you've got the whole tower. I was here first and I need to copy star charts."

"I happen to enjoy the view of the lake from here. I won't bother you."

"You came all the way up fifteen flights of stairs to watch the lake quietly without bothering me?"

"I did."

"Ever thought about throwing yourself in?"

"Not tonight, no. Too cold. Plus it's my birthday, and I do plan to celebrate at some point, just not yet."

"So what are you going to think about until then?"

"Don't know, but I can't really think if you keep prattling at me, can I?"

"Then feel free to leave. I know I'll get more done."

"No, I like it up here. It's a bit like flying without the extra work. So, what's wrong that you're up here by yourself pretending to study?"

"I am studying."

"You forgot your telescope and you've barely enough parchment for one chart. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Mm-hm. Then why are still talking to me?"

"Because you haven't left yet."

"And I'm not planning on it. At least not until you tell me what's wrong."

"Then I'll leave. See you around, Potter."

"Wait! Come on, Lily. Something's obviously bothering you. You stormed out of the Great Hall, you're sitting up here alone, and you haven't called me one real name yet."

"Maybe that's because I can't think of any more. You've finally worn me out."

"Or maybe because it's my birthday, and you're finally going to be nice to me for once?"

"If you want to think of it that way, go ahead. Consider it your birthday present."

"I think I'd prefer a good insult to silence."

"I happen to prefer peace and quiet."

"Fine. I'll leave you to it then."



"So…what are you thinking about?"

"What are you upset about?"

"Never mind. I have to study."

"And I have to think."



"Where are you going?"

"Not sure, but I can't think with you pretending to study so hard."

"Oh. I'm sorry. I think."

"It's okay, only…how about you come with me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You heard me. Come with me. You don't have to pretend to study anymore. I can cheer you up, even if you won't tell me what's wrong."

"I doubt it."

"I can. What would you like to do right now?"

"Beside get away from you?"

"Yes, beside that. You're always trying to get away from me, for some reason. That's old news. What else do you want to do right now?"

"Honestly? I'd really like a butterbeer and a pumpkin pastie."

"The kitchens, then. Come on, that's easy. Maybe the elves will get me something extra for my birthday."

"No, I was thinking about the Three Broomsticks. Only the next Hogsmeade weekend isn't for two weeks."

"Well, I can manage that, too. Let's go."

"Where?"

"We're going to Hogsmeade, of course--by way of the third floor corridor."

"We can't just leave the grounds without permission, we'll be caught for sure. And what do you mean, the third floor corridor? You're mad."

"No, I'm a Marauder, and I happen to know every single secret passage in and out of the castle."

"Passages? Is that your big secret?"

"One of many. So are you coming or not?"

"That depends. This isn't like a date, is it?"

"It can be, if you want it to be."

"I don't want it to be a date."

"It is my birthday, after all. And I'm not a bad date."

"I don’t want it to be a date, Potter."

"Well, I'll keep it to myself, then. We're almost there. Let me check something."

"What's that?"

"Well, it's a secret. Promise not to tell anyone?"

"Of course not."

"Then I won't show you. In fact, I'll cancel our date."

"It's not a date, remember?"

"Maybe not, but you never know. Here, this will get us to Hogsmeade safely. It's a map of the castle, see. It shows you every single person on the grounds, that way we can come and go without getting caught. And here is the very statue we need, with no one around to see us. Perfect."

"How in Merlin's name did you get this? It's amazing!"

"That's another secret, and it will cost you another date to find out."

"No thanks. I'm happy to remain ignorant."

"Too bad. It's a good one. And I'm telling you, I'm a good date."

"You're impossible. You know that, don’t you?"

"I am and I know. And that's why you're sneaking off on a date with me."

"It's not a date."

"It is my birthday, you know."

"Then I'm just keeping you company until your mates can get you pissed later. And you're supposed to be cheering me up."

"You sound better already. You know, you never told me what was wrong."

"Buy me that butterbeer and maybe we'll talk."

"I'll hold you to that, Evans."

"I hope you do, Potter. Oh, and James?"

"Yes?"

"Happy birthday."

"Yes, well…it's not really my birthday."

"Just like it's not really a date?"

"Exactly."


* * *
Chapter Endnotes: This was originally a drabble written for the Lily/James ficfest on LiveJournal a while ago that I expanded in honor of James's birthday. Because fictional people have feelings too. Hope you enjoyed!