Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Sweet by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"I'll teach the lot and treat them just the same."


Although they looked quite different, Susan Bones knew people confused her and Hannah, calling them ‘The Hufflepuff Girls’ when they couldn’t remember their names. Professor Flitwick often called her Miss Abbott, and called Hannah, Miss Bones. Madam Sprout referred to them both as ‘my dear’, and it was only Professors McGonagall and Snape who remembered who they were with crisp calculation. Of course, that could be because neither excelled at those subjects and that irritation sparked their professors’ memories.

She had red hair, Hannah blonde, yet people mixed them up, as if seeing them together all the time they couldn’t be bothered to differentiate. However, they were quite different, despite both being Hufflepuffs. Hannah was all sunshine light, yellow warmth and giggling generosity. Susan a far darker creature, fiercely protective, sometimes sullen and fighting her corner, like a true badger.

Sometimes Susan wondered if she and Hannah would have been friends if they didn’t share a dorm, but when she voiced this to Hannah, the other girl laughed.

–Does it matter?” she said. –We’re best friends, Susan, and-”

–But we don’t have much in common, do we?” Susan persisted.

Hannah shrugged and helped herself to another sweet, licking off the chocolate from the cherry bon-bon, and giggling when a chocolate sliver slipped down her cleavage.

–Well, if we all like the same things,” Hannah began, then swallowed the rest of her sweet. –Say, for instance, you liked cherry bon-bons as much as I did, then we’d be fighting all the time.”

–S’pose so,” Susan replied. Hannah was right. Who cared why they were friends - they just were.

Turning to her purchases from Hogsmeade, she brought out a small bag containing a tiny round pot of lip balm. It was labelled ‘unflavoured’ but tasted sweet. Hannah would tease her about this because their favourite shop in Hogsmeade -‘Hortensia’s Heaven Scents’ - sold so many different flavours and colours of lip balm, but Susan always chose the same one and never wavered.

–This suits me,” she’d replied to Hannah’s questions when they left the shop. –I don’t see the need to experiment.”

Back in the dorm, exploring their purchases, Susan felt again the thrill of delight when she twisted off the shiny red lid and saw the dark pink balm set in the shape of a heart. Untouched. There was always a moment of ... not trepidation, exactly, but reluctance to press her finger into the virgin balm. But there was excitement, too, something new to smooth upon her lips, and yet it was always familiar, and always so sweet.

–Perhaps it’s candy-floss flavour?” Hannah suggested.

Susan frowned. –It doesn’t have a flavour, and it doesn’t need a fancy name. I like it, that’s all.”

Delving into her own bag, Hannah unscrewed the golden lid of her balm displaying the shape of the sun in lemony glory. Without pausing, not caring about the beauty of the untouched perfection, Hannah swept her finger across the top and then applied it to her mouth, spreading more upon her cracked upper lip. –Ouch, that stings.”

–That’s why I stick to the one I know. Trying something different can be a bad mistake,” Susan said wryly.

–Ha ha - it’s not the flavour,” Hannah replied. –My lips are chapped from last night.”

–Snogging Terry Boot in the kitchens. Hannah Abbott, you should be ashamed,” said Susan, mock-sternly.”You’ll put the house-elves off, and we’ll be eating burnt stew for the rest of the week.”

–Ah, don’t worry. We found somewhere quite different to go, somewhere much more private,” Hannah replied and giggled when Susan cast an inquisitive look.

–Did you and Terry ...” Susan faltered, not wanting to make assumptions, but Hannah had been dying to tell her something all day and it was only now that Megan had left them alone, that Susan felt Hannah was about to tell all.

–Um, well ... Terry and I, sort of ... um ...” Again, Hannah giggled. –We’re not just good friends, put it that way.”

–Did you go all the way?” Susan asked, her eyes round.

–Um.” Hannah smirked. –I suppose you could say that we went up the road a bit.”

–Wow!” The awed exclamation left Susan’s lips before she could stop it, and she blushed, knowing it made her sound like such an innocent.

But then she was. She’d barely kissed anyone, unless you counted the awkward meeting of lips she’d had with Justin after the Yule Ball - an experience neither of them had wanted to pursue. Beside Hannah, who had dated Ernie in their fourth year, and was now with Terry, Susan was a complete novice. It wasn’t that she wasn’t interested, but no one seemed interested in her. Glancing sideways in the mirror, she studied her reflection. Blue eyes, red hair, and a smattering of freckles dusting her face. She wasn’t beautiful - she knew that - and although there were times when she wondered if she was even pretty, she did know she wasn’t ugly. Hannah, too, wasn’t startling to look at - not like Lavender Brown, or Mandy Brocklehurst, but Hannah laughed at boys’ jokes and made the most of herself, whereas Susan - despite the vivid red hair - was colourless.

–Perhaps you’re right,” she muttered, and placed the red metal top back on her lip balm. –Perhaps I need to try something different.”

–Terry has a friend,” Hannah murmured. –Anthony’s always looking at you when we have Potions.”

–I thought he was going out with Mandy,” Susan said in surprise. A picture of Anthony - tall, with dark curls and glasses - came into her mind. She’d never seen him looking at her.

–Old news,” Hannah replied, tossing her hair around as she pouted into the mirror. –She dumped him last month. Wow, Susan, keep up.”

–Oh, so I’m the rebound!” Susan huffed. –Thanks a bunch, but I’d rather stay here than be his Mandy snog puppet.”

–Susan, it doesn’t have to be the romance of the century,” Hannah sighed, –but you might have some fun. And ... um ... well ...”

–What?” Susan’s eyes narrowed suspiciously.

–Terry doesn’t want him moping in his room, especially now Mandy’s latched onto Roger Davis, so he suggested that I should bring someone along and ... um ... Oh, go on, he’s quite sweet, you know, when you get talking to him.”

Sweet... Why did she groan when she heard that word? Her lip balm was sweet, and she liked that. Sweet - no matter what Hannah thought - didn’t have to be flavourless.

–All right,” she said, at last.

***


Greenhouse One was the classroom nearest to Professor Sprout’s office. This meant it was the easiest one to be caught in, and thus was never used for assignations. But thanks to Hannah overhearing their head of house’s despairing conversation with Professor McGonagall over Umbridge’s new teaching regime, they knew that Professor Sprout would be spending the evening with her friend instead of in her office.

As Susan followed Hannah, slipping out through the kitchens, she wondered again what she’d let herself in for. Anthony was all right, she supposed, but beyond talking to him a few times in Dumbledore’s Army meetings, she didn’t know much about him. And now that the D.A. had been disbanded, she’d seen even less of him. He was intelligent - top of their class in Potions - and that always made her feel rather intimidated, as Potions was her least favourite subject, and the one she couldn’t wait to drop. Last Thursday had been spectacularly bad, for she’d burnt a hole in her cauldron, causing Snape to declare that she was the worst student he’d ever had the misfortune to teach and that included Longbottom. Flushing a horrible shade of red, which she knew clashed with her hair, Susan had heard everyone laughing at her. Even Ernie had been sniggering, and only Hannah had been sympathetic.

–You do realise that he probably only looks at me because he’s laughing, don’t you, Hannah?”

Hannah shot her a puzzled look. –What are you on about? Who looks at you?” Then she swallowed. –Ah .... er, yeah, I mean no. I doubt he’s laughing at you at all.”

–You made that up, didn’t you? He’s not at all interested, is he? Merlin, he’s probably going to turn tail and leave when he sees the idiot you’ve turned up with!” Susan whispered furiously. She tried to back away, but now they’d reached the greenhouse, Hannah grabbed her arm.

–Please, Susan don’t leave now. He’s really swe-”

–Yeah, you said,” Susan muttered.

–Hello there, laydees. How good of you to drop by,” Terry called out. Hannah smiled demurely and tripped forward, but Susan felt this sudden urge to throw something. She hated being called a ‘lady’, and now she thought about it, she wasn’t that keen on Terry, either. What Hannah saw in the condescending prat she had no idea, but as he held out his hand and pulled her down into his lap, Susan ground her teeth. And when he patted Hannah’s bottom, the gesture was so proprietary, it was all Susan could do not to retch.

Hell, she’d stay for an hour, let Hannah and Terry have some fun whilst she tried not to bore Anthony, and then she’d head back to the common room.

–Hi.” The voice startled her; Anthony had stood up and was stepping forwards.

–Hi,” she muttered, wondering what to do. She’d not been on a date and ... well ... this wasn’t really one as he hadn’t asked her out (and now she looked at him, he didn’t seem to want to be here at all).

Git, she thought. I bet he thinks he’s doing me a favour.

–We brought some Butterbeer. Would you like one?” Anthony asked politely.

Nodding, Susan noticed Terry sharing a bottle with Hannah, but Anthony opened one for her, not expecting her to share.

–Were you in Hogsmeade today?” she asked.

–Went in with Terry and Michael, although he sloped off to see Ginny. Were you there?”

–Mmm, for a while,” she said, not elaborating. She shuffled her feet, unable to think of anything else to say that would be remotely interesting. To cover up the silence, she took a too large gulp of Butterbeer, which made her splutter as the bubbles tickled her nose.

–Well, pat her on the back, or something, Anthony! You’re not that scared to touch her, are you?” said Terry, highly amused. –Is she unused to Butterbeer? It’s really not that strong.”

–Just went down the wrong way,” Susan gasped, then started to cough some more. A hand thumped her back, nearly sending her flying, but she stopped coughing. –Thank you. I’m fine now.”

He stepped away. With one hand, Anthony gestured to the rug laid out on the grass and sat at one corner, opposite Terry and Hannah, who now seemed to be engaged in a complicated kissing manoeuvre. Repressing a shudder, Susan sank to the ground, sitting near, but not next to Anthony.

–We brought some chocolates as well,” he was saying. –Terry said Hannah’s favourites were the cherry bon-bons.”

–Whereas Hannah’s bon-bons are my favourite,” Terry leered.

–But ... um ... I didn’t know yours, so I bought a few different things,” Anthony continued, ostensibly ignoring his friend but blushing as Terry continued to make smart remarks that made Hannah cry with laughter.

–Uh, that’s really sweet of you,” Susan replied. Hell, that word again. –I’ll try one later.”

–Isn’t this nice?” Hannah said brightly as she surfaced from Terry’s mouth.

–Mmm,” agreed Terry. –Very nice, and you two look as if you’re getting on well.”

–We’ve said about two words to each other,” Susan replied waspishly.

–Well, don’t let us stop you saying a few more,” Terry said. Then he smirked at Anthony as he slid his arm around Hannah’s waist, his fingers touching the underside of her breast. –Mind you, talking’s overrated, don’t you agree, Hannah?”

Susan clenched her jaw, and determinedly looked away from her friend. Hannah was a perfectly reasonable girl, if a bit mushy at times, but why did she become so idiotic in Terry’s arms? Hearing a mumbled groan, she peeped under her lashes, to find Anthony’s expression of exasperation appeared to be mirroring her own.

–Why are you here?” she whispered.

–Terry suggested it. Says I can’t spend my time moping after Mandy. He thinks that if you fall off a broom, you should get straight back on.”

–I’m not a broom!” she muttered furiously. –And as for you getting on me, I’d rather get on ... on ...” she shuddered, –Vincent Crabbe!”

–No, no,” he said in horror, and reached out his hand. –I didn’t mean it like that. What Terry thinks is-”

–Obviously far more important than what you actually want,” Susan declared. Exasperated, she stood up, but in her haste, she trod on the bag of cherry bon-bons and slipped, landing painfully on her backside.

Terry and Hannah disengaged themselves long enough for Hannah to move towards her and Terry to start laughing.

–Are you hurt?” Anthony asked, helping Hannah to pick Susan up.

–No, I take great delight in falling on my arse onto the hard ground!” she snapped, then whimpered. –My back hurts. Hannah, I really need to get back to the dorm.”

–Yes, sure,” Hannah murmured, and gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. –I’ll help you.”

But seeing Hannah looking so crestfallen, Susan shook her head. –It’s okay. I can get back by myself. You stay here and have ... um ... fun.” Then she smiled. –Sorry about the bon-bons.”

–I could always walk you back,” Anthony offered.

–I’m fine,” she muttered, not wanting him to bother as this whole situation was becoming farcical.

–Please,” he whispered. –I don’t want to stay here.”

–Fine, just as long as you remember I’m not your new bloody broom.”

–I wouldn’t dare,” he replied, then smiled. –Besides, I’ve got no chance up against Crabbe, have I?”

She snorted, then gasped. –Don’t make me laugh, it hurts too bloody much.”

–Good job you’re with me, then, because Terry’s always saying I have no sense of humour.”

She raised her eyebrows but didn’t tell him that she found Terry’s idea of humour to be infantile and crass.

Because she was hobbling, it made sense for Anthony to put his arm around her waist. It felt quite nice, too, his hand warm on her hipbone, supportive as they climbed up the steps and out of the greenhouse. When Justin had danced with her, his hands had felt clammy and awkward, as if he really hadn’t wanted to be close. But even though he was only there because she was in pain, Anthony’s proximity felt natural.

She winced as they walked across the cobbled path, her steps jolting on the uneven ground. Anthony tightened his grip and stopped walking. –Do you want me to take you to Madam Pomfrey? I could carry you up to the first floor.”

–No, really, I’m fine,” she replied faintly. –It’ll be better when I’m on the softer ground. Besides, I’m feeling a bit better now.” Stretching, she ran her hand down the small of her back, coming into contact with the pocket of her skirt. –Oh damn!”

–Does something else hurt?”

–No, nothing. I had something in my back pocket, and it’s broken.” She groaned, as she pulled out the greasy mass of plastic shards and a bent tin lid. –It was new as well.”

–What is it?” Anthony asked, a puzzled look on his face.

–Lip balm,” she replied ruefully. –It wasn’t expensive, but I only bought it today and have no idea when I’ll get back into Hogsmeade to buy another.”

–Why did you have it?”

She shrugged. –I dunno. Stops my lips from becoming dry.” Conjuring a cloth, she started to wipe her hand, then wrapped up the smashed pot. –Very annoying.” Taking another step, she was surprised when Anthony didn’t automatically follow and glanced up at him. In the starlight, he looked hesitant.

–Oh!” she exclaimed, suddenly realising. –I just like having lip balm on me. Emergency type thing.” She blushed, pleased that in the darkness he couldn’t see how red her face was. Emergency? What a stupid thing to say. What type of emergency would warrant lip balm?

–I wasn’t imagining that we’d ... er ... be k-kissing, or anything,” she stuttered.

–No one ever does,” he murmured. Then he smiled ruefully. –Sorry, Mandy used to smother her lips with the stuff. I became quite used to the taste of ginger treacle or blueberry surprise, or whatever her flavour of the day was. It was just brought it all back.”

–Ah... um ... sorry,” she replied, wondering what she was supposed to say in this type of situation. Unlike Hannah, she wasn’t someone people confided in - especially not boys. –Look, I can get back by myself now, unless you want to grab something from the kitchens. It’s how Hannah and I get back in. Hufflepuff’s right next door and Filch doesn’t patrol there ‘cause the house-elves won’t let Mrs Norris in.”

He laughed. –You’re quite sneaky, aren’t you?”

–I bet you thought Hufflepuffs were all sweet and innocent, didn’t you?”

–From what Terry says about Hannah-” He stopped abruptly, hiding his comment in a fit of coughing.

Susan eyed him coldly. –Just what does Terry say about Hannah?”

–Nothing bad,” he muttered. –He likes her, that’s all. That’s sort of obvious, isn’t it?”

–If telling someone you like their ‘bon-bons’ is a compliment, then I think I’d rather he disliked me,” she replied.

Shuffling his feet, Anthony peered at her. –He’s a bit of a prat at times, but your friend thinks he’s funny.”

–Hannah’s a bit of an idiot at times,” she admitted, and sighed. –She also tells me I have no sense of humour.”

Hitching his arm around her again, Anthony, following her directions, walked her to the back entrance leading down to the kitchens. –You make me laugh,” he murmured.

–Well, that’s different. Everyone laughs at me. I’m so bloody thick that I swear the Examining Boards are adding a new grade below Troll called ‘Bones.’”

–That’s what I find funny,” he said, grinning at her. –You’re so self-deprecating.”

–Self- decrepating?” she said innocently. –What does that mean?”

–It’s when you - Oh, ha-bloody- ha, Bones, very funny!”

Susan giggled. –You’re very easy to wind up, do you know that, Goldstein?”

–So I’ve been told,” he muttered darkly. He slowed as they approached the kitchen door. –I wouldn’t mind a hot chocolate or something. Will the house-elves mind?”

–Shouldn’t think so,” Susan replied. –Hannah and I come here most weekends and it’s all they can do not to fall over themselves serving us.” She inched her way down the steps to the door, careful not to jolt her back. Anthony lessened his grip but still kept his hand lightly on her hip.”What do you Ravenclaws do to relax, then?”

She could feel his shrug and then heard a small sigh. –Terry and Michael like to discuss things. I read a lot. We’re not all the same you know. That’s like saying you and Hannah are the same because you’re both in Hufflepuff.”

Snorting to herself, Susan waited for him to open the door and let him shepherd her into the brightly lit kitchen alive with the thrum of busy house elves.

Greeting her like an old friend and Anthony as an honoured guest, the head house-elf ushered them into chairs and set about bringing over a plate of biscuits and small cakes.

–Miss Bones has hurt herself,” the house elf squeaked in concern.

–I’m fine, Frinkle,” Susan replied, then asked her for two hot chocolates. Snapping a piece of shortbread in two, she offered one half to Anthony. –Quite a few people confuse me and Hannah. I suppose we’re always together, so maybe that’s the reason, but ...” She trailed off and munched at her biscuit.

–That’s ludicrous,” Anthony said. –You’re totally different. I’ve never got you confused.”

–Really?”

He nodded, and was about to speak but then Frinkle bustled over with to mugs of steaming hot chocolate. –Frinkle is adding marshmallows without thinking to the young master’s drink. They can be removed, straight away if they is not to the young master’s liking.” She bowed and backed away, eyeing him respectfully.

–Uhm, that’s fine,” Anthony mumbled, looking embarrassed.

–You were saying,” Susan prodded, –about not getting Hannah and me mixed up. Why is that?”

–Uh ...” He flushed a little. –Look, I don’t mean this nastily, but you’ve never been very good at Potions, have you?”

–Ah, that explains it. Susan Bones - the class troll.” She took a swig of her drink, gasping because she’d forgotten how hot it was.

–No,” he said gently. Then, summoning a jug of milk from a nearby table, he poured her a goblet. –You’ve never been good at Potions, but you don’t let it get to you. Not even when Snape’s being a right bastard, and he really was last week. You smile at him and get on with it.”

–There’s not much else I can do,” she said matter-of-factly. –Next year I can give up, though.” Susan winced slightly as she shifted her position on the stool. –You’ll take it to NEWT, I expect.”

He nodded, but when he spoke again it wasn’t about Potions, or anything to do with himself - and that surprised her. –You’re good at Defence,” he muttered. –I saw you in our last D.A. meeting and your Patronus is really good - fully formed. I can’t do that.”

–Harry’s a good teacher. It’s such a shame we’ve had to stop meeting. I learnt loads from him,” she replied, trying to sound nonchalant, but really, she was beaming with pride.

They sat for a while longer, sipping the chocolate and swapping horror stories about Umbridge. Alone, Anthony was surprisingly easy to talk to. He’d called her self-deprecating earlier, but he was self-effacing, not pushing himself forward and always asking her questions.

He was, she realised, sweet.

She licked her lips, tasting the last of her lip balm and sighed. I like sweet.

But Anthony liked ginger treacle and blueberry surprise.

***


In Potions, the following Thursday, Susan slunk in late. She’d been up the night before, toiling over an essay and had woken late for breakfast. Annoyed, because Hannah and Megan had let her sleep in, she’d then stomped off to the library to return a book, then realised she hadn’t packed her essay and had to return to her dorm to collect it. Unfortunately, it hadn’t been in the dorm, and it was only when she was about to enter the dungeons that she remembered tucking it into the book she’d just returned to Madam Pince. In haste, she sped back to the library, ignoring the pain in her back as she hobbled back up the four flights of stairs, retrieved her essay and hobbled back down again.

–Ah, Miss Bones, how good of you to grace us with your presence,” Professor Snape drawled. –Five points from Hufflepuff, and a further five if you cannot produce your essay in the next seven seconds.”

–It’s here,” she replied, and with surprising presence of mind, she floated it onto his desk, landing it neatly on top of the pile.

–Take a seat,” Professor Snape ordered. –But, no, do not sit with Miss Abbott. She has a chance of passing my class and it would be a pity to taint her with your ineptitude.” He scanned the room, curling his lip, then added, –Oh, dear, Miss Bones, it appears no one is willing to be your partn-–

–I will, sir,” called Anthony. He started to pack up his books, shifting from his seat in the second row towards Susan who was parked at the front.

–Are you sure, Goldstein?” Professor Snape sounded aghast, annoyed even. –I would hate for your marks to suffer.”

Anthony said nothing, but placed his bag on the bench alongside Susan and started to take out his books.

–You don’t have to do this,” she whispered.

–Not a problem,” he said out of the corner of his mouth. –Terry’s happy for Hannah to sit next to him.”

Looking over her shoulder, Susan caught Hannah’s eye. The other girl flashed her an apologetic look, but seemed to be only too keen to sit next to Terry. Then Susan’s gaze drifted to the girl at the back of the class, who was staring at her with what could only be called incredulity and amusement. Susan grimaced and turned her attention back to Professor Snape. She wasn’t going to think about Mandy Brocklehurst now. Instead, she was going to concentrate properly on the lesson and get her first pass mark of the year.

–How much of this is your own work, Miss Bones?” asked Professor Snape as he peered into her cauldron.

–Uh ... well, Anthony helped a little, I suppose,” she said, biting her lip.

–I thought as much. What a pity. This is barely adequate for you, Goldstein. I thought you’d be able to keep a clearer head -”

–Sir, it’s mainly Susan’s work,” Anthony interrupted. –All I did was prevent her adding the hellebore before the gurdyroot stems were fully dissolved.”

–Interesting.” Professor Snape eyed the potion again, decanting some into a vial so he could examine it in the light. –That wouldn’t have made much difference, Goldstein, unless one is a purist.” Then, stroking his chin, he stared intently at Susan. –It is surprising what one can do when one concentrates, Miss Bones, and isn’t distracted by idle chatter. This is Acceptable. Well done.”

–Thank you, sir.” And although she didn’t want to show him how happy she was, Susan couldn’t stop the smile from breaking on her face. –And thank you,” she whispered to Anthony.

–I didn’t do anything,” he replied.

–Hmm, do you always read the instructions aloud as you brew?”

–Always,” he said solemnly. Then he winked. –Look, it wasn’t cheating, but you looked as if you were dropping off when Snape was speaking, so you might not have taken in everything he said.”

–Well, um, thanks again,” she muttered, and slid off her stool. She groaned a little when one book slid to the floor, but before she could get to it, Anthony had picked it up.

–Is your back still hurting?” he asked.

–A little,” she admitted. –It doesn’t help being hunched over a cauldron all morning. I’m very stiff.”

–You should have gone to see Madam Pomfrey.”

–I did,” she said. –She gave me something to rub on it, but it smells revolting and neither Hannah or Megan are keen on massaging it in.”

–What’s in it?” he asked.

–Um, lavender and something really horrible - asphodel, maybe.”

Anthony nodded. –Mmm, old fashioned remedy. It works, but ... yeah, people would certainly smell you coming.”

–You know a lot about it,” she said, reaching her hand out for her book, but Anthony didn’t give it back. Instead, he was frowning, as if trying to puzzle something out. –Can I have my book, please?”

He shook his head, not saying no, but as if she’d disturbed him from his reverie. –Camomile would be better.”

–Yes, well, I’ll mention it to Madam Pomfrey,” she said, feeling slightly irritated now. –Anthony, can I have my book? Only it’s lunch time and I want to dump all this in my room first.”

–Oh ...er ... yeah,” he said, and then grinned at her. –Sorry, I was thinking about something my aunt developed. She’s a pretty good Potioneer and has a thing about scents. She reckons that smelling things enhances the mood and promotes healing.”

–That’s interesting,” Susan said, rolling her eyes, –and I swear when I eventually get to lunch, I’ll have a good sniff of the chocolate pudding.”

–Well, she has a point,” Anthony replied. –Amortentia works on smell, after all.” Then, bending down, he picked up Susan’s bag, stuffed her book inside it and slung it over his shoulder. –I’ll take this for you.”

–No,” she replied, and held out both her hands. –I’m really okay.”

–Don’t be stubborn.”

–I’m not,” she replied. She smiled at him. –I plan on casting a Lightening Charm on it, which should make it practically weightless until I get back to the dorm.” Then, as she took in his look of astonishment, she took her bag from him. –I may be utterly thick at Potions, and if I’m honest Transfiguration leaves me sweating Kneazles, but I’m actually bloody good at Charms.” She cast the spell, heaved the now-light bag over her shoulder and walked out of the dungeon door, but hearing Anthony’s footsteps hurrying behind her, she turned back and waited - hoping.

He looked surprised she was still there. And in that moment, she realised she’d made a mistake. He wasn’t interested. He really was just being nice when he’d offered to sit with her.

He was sweet and perhaps he thought she was okay to talk to, or share hot chocolate with.

But that was all.

–See you in Potions, then,” she muttered, and turned away.

–Uh... Susan...” He sounded nervous and she knew he was scraping round for a way to tell her that this morning had been a one-off.

–It’s okay, you won’t have to sit with me again. I’m sure Snape won’t want you to, anyway. You are his star-”

–It’s not that,” Anthony muttered. –I’ve ... um ... got something for you.”

–Huh?”

Swallowing, he reached into his robe pocket, pulled out a small paper bag and handed it to her. –It’s not much, but ... well ... I just thought you might ...”

–Oh.” She gaped at the bag’s contents not quite knowing what to say because inside was a small pot with a red shiny lid. Picking it up, she turned it over, noting that the label read ‘unflavoured’.

–How did you get this?”

Anthony shrugged a little and shuffled his feet. –The aunt I told you about -”

–The Potioneer who thinks smells are important?”

–Mmm, her, well she’s Hortensia Adams, owner of Hortensia’s Heaven Scents. So ... well, I owled her, described the pot, and then described you.” He smiled softly. –She knew exactly who I was talking about.”

–But why?”

He gulped a bit, looking even more nervous and she noticed his hands were shaking. –No, real reason, but um ... Look, Susan, there’s no obligation or anything. I really did just get you this to replace the one you broke, but ... um ...”

–What?” she muttered, unsure whether she wanted him to say more, or was more desperate for him to shut up and stop this excruciatingly embarrassing conversation.

Anthony heaved a breath. –Sorry, I am so bad at this, but ... um ... could we go out sometime? I know there isn’t another Hogsmeade trip planned for this term, but we could always take a walk, or ... I don’t know, sit in the library together?”

–Er...” Now he’d asked, she wasn’t sure what to say. The word ‘rebound’ kept rebounding through her head. –I thought you were still upset about Mandy.”

He grinned sheepishly. –Too many lip balms and too many flavours. Aunt Hortensia warned me that she’d chop and change her taste in boyfriends, too.”

–Whereas I’m dull and flavourless,” Susan said coolly. –Thanks, Goldstein.”

–No,” he replied firmly. Reaching out his hand, he fastened his fingers on her sleeve and stepped towards her.

–You,” he started to say as he bent his head down, and dusted his lips on hers, –are ... sweet.”

–Isn’t sweet the same as boring?”

–Well, maybe if that’s all you were, then possibly, but you’re also sharp, and witty and you think on your feet, even if you don’t always land on them.”

She giggled then moaned. –Don’t make me laugh, please.”

–Say you’ll go out with me,” he replied solemnly, –and I promise never to crack a joke again.”

–Deal,” she replied, her shoulders still shaking. –Oh Merlin, this hurts. I need to stop laughing.”

He came closer, and this time when he kissed her, it wasn’t soft and light. Rather, it wasn’t just soft and light, but also pressing and exciting and unlike anything she’d ever imagined.

–Is this funny?” he whispered.

–No,” she whispered back. –This is sweet.”
Chapter Endnotes: Reviews are lovely, but Lea is lovelier.