Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

More Than a Game by MJ_Padfoot

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Gryffindor common room was nearly empty when Sirius walked down the stairs looking for James. As he was walking down, noticed that James was slouched over in front of a low fire with his hands in his face. He was sitting alone on the couch.

–James?” asked Sirius.

James didn’t look up.

This was very unlike James and Sirius knew that.

–What’s got your wand in a knot?” asked his best friend.

James slowly looked up and stared into the fire before he spoke. –Well,” he started, –it all began last Friday . . .” his voice trailed off.

Sirius sat down next to James. –Oh, not that again,” he said with annoyance. –I mean, honestly James. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has to lose a Quidditch match once in awhile.”

James shook his head. –No, that’s exactly it, Padfoot.”

Sirius laughed. –Oh, surely it can’t be from what happened in Potions the other day?”

Prongs nodded.

Laughing, Sirius continued, –Everyone has to make a potion explode on their professor sometime in their Hogwarts career.”

James snorted. –Yeah, well, this Hogwarts career is pretty much over. Let’s just say that Professor Slughorn will never let me live it down. While he was helping me clean up the muck, he kept going on and on about how Lily Evans was such a good potions student and how I should take private lessons from her.”

Sirius listened intensely. This had taken place after class when James was called by Professor Slughorn to stay after class so he could talk to him. Sirius would’ve waited for James but after about fifteen minutes had gone by, he figured that James would catch up with him later. –Then what happened?” Sirius asked.

–Slughorn went on and on about how great Lily is and . . .” James sighed, –next thing I knew, he was drowning on and on about how I needed to be more like her. He went on about how talented, smart, witty, and a million other things that she is. Then he said if I stepped up a notch or two that I could come to the Slug Club and enjoy all of their in-depth conversations that he’s had with Lily.” James paused and looked at Sirius.

–So, what’s the big deal then?” he asked, feeling slightly confused. –I mean, we all know that Evans is smart, but that’s not new news, mate. And you have amazing talent too. Who cares what Slughorn says?”

James looked down at the ground. He didn’t speak for a moment. Finally, he said, –I feel stupid saying this, Padfoot, but the entire time he was talking I wished that I was the one who had the in-depth conversations. I wished that I was the one who could just laugh wit her. I wished that I was the one that Lily came to when she had a problem. It just kills me.”

By now, James was running his fingers through his hair in frustration. He continued by saying, –She is always on my mind. And what makes this even worse is when I go and ask her out or ask her a question or anything, she always says, –Go away, Potter,” or –Maybe some other time, Potter,” or –Better luck next time, Potter.” It drives me insane! And what makes me even angrier, is that every single time that I try to impress her, I usually make myself look so cocky and stupid!”

Sirius grinned. He couldn’t deny the truth. –Yeah, but mate—” he started.

–And then,” James continued, ignoring Sirius, –after leaving Slughorn’s class, I was twenty-five minutes late to Transfiguration. You know how McGonagall is. She hates it when students are late.”

By this point, Sirius figured that he should just nod. That way, James could get it all out without any interruptions.

–Then, after class, I ran into Lily. I was going to ask her about getting some help with Potions, like Slughorn had suggested, and she told me –no” before I even got a word out.” James stopped directly in front of Sirius and continued, –I just don’t get it. Why does this happen every time?!”

Sirius looked up at James. –I dunno, mate. Maybe you should stop trying to get her attention. Maybe you should just be yourself. You know, treat her like anyone else. Or maybe just send her a note saying that you hope that she has a good day. Simple things like that. Girls seem to like that kind of stuff better than big showy kinds of things.”

For a moment, Padfoot and Prongs stared at each other. It was a moment before either one of them said anything. James looked utterly distressed. Sirius continued, –You know, I think that this whole love thing is more than a game. I think that it comes down to the genuine small things. Maybe doing something like that will help show her that you really care.”

James, who no longer looked confused, slowly nodded. –Yeah,” he said, –yeah. I think you’re right. It’s time to stop fooling around and show her what I really am made out of.”

Both of them smiled and continued talking.

However, little did they know that in the back of the common room there was a redheaded girl who had been listening to the conversation. Before Sirius had come downstairs, she was doing some extra reading for Charms. She found it hard to concentrate when the boys started to talk. So, instead of trying to read, she listened and found out exactly what she wanted to know. James sincerely liked her.

As Lily was lost in her thoughts, she heard James and Sirius move from the couch. Quickly, she closed her eyes to pretend that she was asleep. While the two boys walked by, Sirius said, –Should we wake her up?”

There was a long pause.

Lily heard footsteps come closer to her and then heard, –Lily? Lily?” James was softly whispering and shaking her at the same time. Smoothly, Lily opened her eyes, and said, –Oh!” She sat up and tucked her hair behind her ear. –What time is it?”

–It’s nearly midnight,” replied James.

–Ugh,”

–Come on,” said James, –I’ll walk you up.”

Lily got up and gathered her things, James insisted on carrying them up the stairs. She smiled, taking notice that Sirius wasn’t with them, and said, –Thanks, James.”

As the two of them walked up the stairs and said goodnight, both of them couldn’t help but think of the possible future that was about to come.
Chapter Endnotes: Please review! Thank you!!! ~MJ