Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shamrock by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This story is part of a peculiar canon of mine concerning Seamus, Dean and Parvati. It is compliant with Lavender, blue - a Gryffindor true, Orphans of the Storm and The Foolhardy Boys and Parvati, too.
–Get the feck out!”

–Not till you’ve seen sense!”

–I have seen sense, Dean. You just can’t feckin’ accept it.”

–You really want this? You really want to marry her?”

–Yeah, I love her and nothing else feckin’ matters. So leave, NOW”

–Seamus, I’m your best man!”

–Not any longer. Get out!”


***


Sitting at a corner table in the Leaky Cauldron, Seamus didn’t notice her until she’d wended her way through the crowd of customers and pulled up the chair opposite him.

–No, I don’t mind if you do join me,” he said, raising one eyebrow in what he hoped was an ironic manner.

She chose to ignore the comment; instead, she sipped at her drink, studying him from under her lashes.

–You’re engaged, I hear,” she said when she was halfway down her glass of red.

–So it says in The Prophet,” he agreed. –You should know, Lavender, you work with her. She must have told you.”

–Mmm, she hasn’t stopped, actually.” Lavender gave him a rueful smile. –Romilda is very excited and already making plans.”

Picking up his pint, Seamus took a long deep swallow, then placed the glass carefully back on his coaster. –Brides are supposed to, aren’t they?” he asked. –It’s their big day.”

–I wouldn’t know.” She paused and with one hand, she tentatively touched him on the arm. –Is this really what you want, Seamus?”

–We get on well. We have a laugh. She’s fantastic in the sack!” Seamus replied crudely, smiling when Lavender grimaced. –I can’t go back to the old set-up - not now - and Romilda is a great girl.”

–You’re settling,” she accused.

–No,” he said wearily. –I’m being realistic. Besides, I do actually love her, you know.”

–Really?” She eyed him sceptically. He nodded and Lavender sighed. –Okay, I do believe you - or rather I believe that you believe that - but isn’t this all going a bit quickly? You haven’t been seeing her long.”

–Ah, Lavender,” Seamus replied as he held up his pint to the light, staring at ring of foam as it slid down the inside of the glass. –When did you believe were in love with yer man, Zabini, then?”

–That’s different,” she muttered. –Besides we’re still together.”

–And who’s to say I won’t be with Romilda five years from now?”

–Because you still love -” She stopped abruptly as Seamus shot her a look.

Placing his glass on the table, he stood up. He said nothing, but Summoned his cloak and strode away from her.

–See, you can’t deny it,” Lavender yelled, not caring that the customers were looking their way.

–I can’t go back, Lavender,” he called over his shoulder. –Too much has changed.”

–She misses you,” she said. –They both do.”

–Your invite will arrive by owl,” he replied. –Tell Zabini to get his best robes cleaned. Romilda’s got her heart set on something classy.”

***


Seamus’ flat wasn’t dark when he got back. As he stood outside, he could see a light on, and with a smile, he realised that Romilda must have let herself in. It made a change to have someone there, and with hope swooping through him, he wondered if she was already in bed, her beautiful body naked between his sheets, or clad in the red underwear she’d worn the first time they’d...

He fumbled with his keys, desperate to get to his bedroom and see what awaited him.

–You’re late,” Romilda said as he closed his front door.

With a sigh, he realised she was in his kitchen standing by the stove and stirring a big pan of something. –Had a quick drink at the Leaky, my darlin’,” he soothed and wound his arms around her waist. –What’s that you’re cooking?”

–Ratatouille,” she replied, and moved away as he started to nuzzle her ear. –It’s very healthy. I thought you could with a proper meal rather than grabbing another takeaway.”

–Smells ... great,” he muttered and peered closer. –Where’s the meat?”

Romilda giggled and tapped him on the cheek with her hand. –It’s vegetarian, Seamus. You need to take more care of yourself. Stuffing yourself with burgers and curry every night is not good for you.”

–I’ve survived so far,” he said.

–Through luck and because you’re still young,” she said archly. Then she turned in his arms, raised her hands to his neck and pecked him on the cheek. –I’m going to marry you Seamus, and I want us to have a long and happy life together.”

–Me, too,” he replied, swallowing the sigh. She was right; he did eat garbage, but with his job at the Ministry having regular nine-to-five hours, he could start to eat at regular times, and not be snatching unhealthy snacks at four in the morning, as he’d been wont to do when coming back from surveillance. He pulled Romilda closer, marvelling at the smoothness of her hair as he inhaled its scent and ran his hands up and down her body. –Will this spoil if we eat it later?”

–I could leave it simmering,” she whispered.”What do you have in mind?”

***


–You have the most beautiful hair, you know that,” Seamus murmured.

She stirred in his arms, and levered herself up onto her elbow. –You don’t want me to get it cut, then.”

–Merlin no,” he replied, and twisted a few of the silken strands between his fingers. –I love the way it feels. It’s soft and silky and so, so beautiful. Just like you, my star.”

Languorously, she stretched and her hair trailed down her back. Seamus reached across and cupped her breasts, raining kisses on their perfection. She smiled at him, her fingers now entwined in his hair as she pushed him back onto the pillows and sat astride him.

–I love you,” he said, gasping as she moved up and down.



–That is so sweet.”

–Huh?” Seamus sat up with a start to see Romilda standing in front of the mirror, tucking her shirt into her slim grey skirt.

–You,” she said, smiling. She stepped towards him, and proffered her cheek for a kiss. –I have an early start and will be gone most of the day. Don’t forget about the caterers.”

–Caterers?”

–The food for the wedding,” she explained patiently as she sat on the edge of the bed.

Seamus blinked. –Yeah, sure. What time, again?”

–One o’clock,” she replied. –Really, Seamus, I did tell you about this last week and it’s in your organiser.”

–Organiser?” He rubbed his eyes.

–On the bedside table,” Romilda said, sighing as she picked it up. –I bought it for you yesterday. You need never forget another appointment.” She opened it up, and pointed at the day’s date, then placed it on his chest. –Make sure you take it with you. And I’ll talk to you later about it. Just remember, it’s your choice, darling.”

–How long will it take?” he asked.

–Not long, about two hours at the most.” Romilda frowned slightly. –Seamus, there isn’t a problem, is there? I cleared it with Percy Weasley. He knows you’re taking an extended lunch.”

–I said I’d meet Dean for a drink,” he said.

He could see her spine stiffening and the knuckles of her hand whitening as she clutched her wand. –Dean?” The word dropped like a stone into a stagnant pond, ripples edging towards him. –I didn’t think you had much to do with him anymore.”

–He’s my best mate, Ro.”

–Then he’ll understand if you put him off today. Our wedding is more important, after all.”

–Yeah, course he will,” Seamus replied. Sliding to the end of the bed, he plucked at the sleeve of Romilda’s shirt, halting her as she turned the door handle, and moulded one hand around her bum. –Shame you’ve got an early start.”

–Not now,” she said quietly. –I have a ton of things to do and this wedding won’t organise itself.”

–Not even with an organiser,” he muttered under his breath.

Romilda turned as she opened the door. –I must say, it’s sweet to know you were dreaming about me, Seamus,” she said and smiled at his obvious confusion. –You were talking in your sleep and said you loved me.”

–Huh ... oh, yeah, always, my darlin’” Seamus said and grinned at her. But as she walked down the stairs, he frowned.

What dream?


***


–I don’t have long,” Seamus said as he eased himself onto the barstool.

Dean looked up from his pint, and pushed a drink towards him. –So you said. I thought this was a date?” he said, and pouted for a full two seconds before laughing. –What’s up? Is your boss giving you a hard time?”

–Something like that,” Seamus muttered. –I can’t take long liquid lunches and claim it on expenses any more, sadly.”

Dean raised his eyebrows. –Well, that can be easily remedied,” he started to say, but Seamus forestalled him with a wave of his hand.

–I’m fine. It’s a good steady job and you don’t need me hanging around, not anymore.”

–You weren’t ‘hanging around’. We had a business - a partnership.”

–Dean. Leave it!” Seamus rapped, then took a breath and swallowed some of his lager. –Look, it’s not like it was before, is it? Things have changed and we all agreed this was for the best.”

–Did we?” Dean muttered mutinously. –I don’t remember a proper discussion?”

–Yeah, well, it’s too late to be thinking about that now.” Seamus coughed, hoping to clear his throat before a lump threatened to form, then fixed a smile on his face. –How’s Anusha?”

–Getting more beautiful every day.” Dean stopped frowning; his face lit up with a beaming smile. –And I swear she’s the cleverest girl in the world.”

And although he loved seeing his mate so happy, a part of Seamus’ stomach curdled inside of him. –I’m sure she is. You only have to look at her dad to know she’s going to be brilliant.”

Dean laughed. –I swear she said my name, which is very early. Parvati said it was just babbling, but I know my little girl.” And then his smile faded. –Sorry ... I ... didn’t mean-”

–It’s okay,” Seamus said and shrugged. –How is Parvati?”

–Fine,” mumbled Dean. Then he sighed. –She’s tired because of the baby - well, neither of us is getting much sleep - and I’m not around much as much as I should be because we’re busy at work, so ... well ... you know what we’re like. We don’t hold back when we’re irritated with something.” He trailed off and took another sip of his pint.

As Dean shifted on his stool, a shaft of light from the opening door illuminated his face; Seamus noticed how bloodshot his eyes were and how new lines seemed to have become entrenched on his forehead. About to reply something trite about how he was sure this was normal, and that Parvati would soon be back to her old self once she got a good night’s sleep, Seamus was stopped by a shrill voice emitting from his robe pocket.

–MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS.”

–What the hell is that?” Dean asked, laughing in amazement.

–Feck, I’m late!” Seamus explained. He gulped at his drink, hoping to hide his embarrassment from Dean. –Look, sorry, mate. We’ll catch up properly another time, but I’ve really got to fly.”

–Literally?” Dean asked. –Only I don’t see your broom.”

–Ha-bloody-ha. I’m going by Floo.” Seamus drained his pint. –Sorry to bail on you, but I gotta go.”

–MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETI-”

–SHUT UP!” Seamus ordered. Opening the organiser, he slammed it page down on the bar, sending Dean’s drink flying. –Bollocks! Sorry. Look let me buy you another.”

Dean shook his head. –Don’t worry about it. You’re obviously in a rush.” Then he licked his lips. –Caterers, eh?”

–Yeah,” Seamus said, feeling sheepish. –Wedding’s next month.”

–Bit soon, isn’t it? You haven’t been seeing her long. She’s not ... er ... pregnant, is she?”

–No, nothing like that. Romilda’s taking a job in France, working for The Prophet’s sister paper in Paris. It’s easier for me to get transferred to the French Ministry if we’re married.”

–You have it all worked out, don’t you,” Dean said softly.

–MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS. MEETING WITH THE CATERERS...”

–Merlin. Shut up. I’m on my way!” he held his hand out to Dean, who looked at it in confusion before clapping Seamus on the back.

–We need to catch up properly - very soon!” Dean said. –Lunch, tomorrow?”

–Uh .... yeah,” Seamus replied hurriedly. He slammed the organiser shut and shoved it in his pocket. –Send me an owl.”

***


She was standing in the kitchen, the sunlight streaming through the windows and catching her in the eyes as she turned her head. From the doorway, Seamus smiled and walked towards her, holding out the small gift he’d brought her back from Ireland. There was something hesitant in the way she took the gift as if she was worried about what was inside the small package.

–It’s not much,” Seamus said casually, –but I can’t not bring back a souvenir for my star girl.”

–What’s in the other bag?” she asked.

–Bottle of whisky for Dean,” he replied as he laughed, –and maybe one for meself.”

She didn’t join in the laughter, but sat down at the table, the package still unwrapped.

–What’s the matter?” he asked. –Aren’t you pleased I’m back?”

–Of course I am,” she said. But when she lifted her head to face him, he could see tears glimmering in her eyes.

–Then what’s the problem?”

–I had another row with Dean,” she replied. –I don’t know what’s wrong with me at the moment, but I snapped at him over some stupid filing at work and now he’s stormed off and -” She stopped speaking, sniffed and then clasped Seamus by the hand. –Merlin, I’m so pleased to see you.”

–Do you want me to go and find him?”

Lifting his hand, she gently unfurled the fingers and kissed his palm. –I don’t know why I’m so upset, really. He’s just blowing off steam. Besides, he knows you’re coming back, so I think he’ll make himself scarce for a while.”

–You look tired,” he said, his fingers smoothing back the tresses of her shining black hair.

–I’m fine,” she whispered. –And I really have missed you.”

–Then open your present,” he said, nudging it towards her.

Gratefully, she smiled at him as her quick fingers unwrapped the velvet box. –Oh,” she sighed, pulling put the fine thin chain on which hung a delicate pendant. –This is so beautiful.”

–It’s a shamrock,” he whispered and kissed her neck as he fastened the necklace. –You now have the luck of the Irish, my star.”

–I know,” she replied and turned to kiss his cheek. –Now, can we go to bed so I can show you just how lucky you’re going to get?”
Chapter Endnotes: Reviews are fabulous and make me smile.