Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shamrock by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you, Julia (the opaleye) for naming the French newspaper for me.

Dean trudged back from the office and along the road to the house he shared with Parvati. It had been a long day, made longer by the fact that the one thing he’d been determined to do that day - namely talk to Seamus - he’d failed at miserably. It didn’t help that he knew Parvati was waiting for him.

He waited at the gate, not wanting to face her yet, not wanting to see the reproach in her eyes. He loved her, he knew that, and he loved Anusha, who’d arrived without warning into their lives but with no fanfare necessary. She was there, she was perfect, and she’d utterly ensnared him.

But she’d changed everything.

Wearily, he pushed open the gate then let himself into the house, calling out as brightly as he could that he was home.

–We’re in the lounge,” Parvati replied.

He couldn’t hear reproach in her voice for the fact that he was later than he’d promised, but the resignation there was far worse.

He was starting his apologies as he walked through the door, spinning a tale of a client calling when really it was his reluctance to tell her he’d failed that had kept him from coming home, but then he stopped. Parvati was not alone. She wasn’t pacing the floor trying to soothe Anusha, but was sitting on the sofa having kicked off her shoes and talking to Lavender. In the armchair opposite sat Lavender’s partner, Blaise Zabini, and he was the one currently holding Dean’s daughter against his chest.

Despite his gloom, Dean couldn’t stop the snort emitting from his mouth, for Zabini who was undoubtedly cool when facing venomous beasts in far off places, looked totally terrified by the baby sprawled on his chest.

–Do you need rescuing?” Dean said, grinning at him. After pecking Parvati on the cheek and acknowledging Lavender, he bent down and picked up Anusha. She gave a brief wail, opened her eyes, and then gurgled up at him.

–Don’t get her excited,” Parvati said wearily.

–I won’t,” he replied gently, then sat back on the other armchair, crooking his arm around the drowsy five-month-old tyrant of his. –How’s she been?”

–Awake all day, so I hope she’ll sleep all night,” Parvati muttered. Then she fixed a smile on her face. –Did you see him?”

Dean nodded. Adjusting his hold on Anusha, he stole a glance around the room, noting that Lavender and Blaise were affecting disinterest.

–So what did he say? And why didn’t you send me an owl earlier?”

–I didn’t get to talk to him,” Dean admitted. He raised one hand as Parvati opened her mouth to protest. –He practically cancelled on me and when he turned up, he left early.” Sighing, he stared at Parvati. –Sorry, he had this bloody book that kept shouting an appointment at him - something about the caterers for his wedding - so I couldn’t get a word in edgeways.”

–He’s serious about it, then,” she murmured.

–Seems to be,” Dean replied. –And ... er ... he says he’s moving to France.” Looking away from Parvati, his focus switched to Lavender. –Apparently Romilda has some job lined up for a Parisian newspaper, and he’s transferring to their Ministry.”

Lavender frowned slightly, as if puzzled. –I’m not sure why she’d want to go there. La Voix des Sorciers has a smaller circulation than The Prophet, although ...” she shrugged, adding waspishly, –She’ll have less competition there.”

Dean raised his eyebrows. He met Parvati’s eyes, but whereas a few months ago, they’d have shared a private joke at the professional jealousy in Lavender’s tone, now Parvati was showing nothing except despondency.

–I’m sorry,” he said. –I’ve arranged to see him tomorrow for lunch. I’ll speak to him then.”

There was a silence. Parvati looked away from Dean and getting to her feet, dully announced that she’d make a start on dinner. –Lavender and Blaise are staying,” she informed Dean. –Will you uncork some wine and give me a hand?”

–Sure,” he replied, and gingerly got to his feet. –Let me put this one to bed first, though.”

She nodded, touched her fingers to her lips and softly placed them on Anusha’s cheek. Dean watched her walk off to the kitchen and turned to Lavender. –I did try to talk to Seamus, you know, but he seems dead set on it all.”

–You know what he’s like,” Lavender said. –Stubborn - especially when he thinks he’s doing the right thing.”

***


–This bloody organiser screeched at me!” Seamus exclaimed, chucking the thick book on the coffee table.

–Well, were you late for the caterers?” Romilda asked as she flipped through a bridal magazine.

–About five minutes, Ro, that’s all. Having this thing shout in the middle of the pub was embarrassing.”

–You shouldn’t have been in the pub,” she said tartly and narrowed her eyes. –Why were you there?”

–Quick drink with Dean,” he replied. –Just explaining why I wasn’t going to have lunch - okay?”

–You could have sent him an owl.” Romilda didn’t take her eyes off the page in front of her, but she no longer turned the pages.

–He’s my best mate,” Seamus muttered. –I’m not fobbing him off with a message - not when I haven’t seen him for weeks. Anyway I got to the caterers, so what’s the problem?”

Putting down the magazine, Romilda obviously decided to change tack. She reached out her hands and pulled Seamus down towards her. –Sorry,” she whispered. –I don’t mean to nag. Now, why don’t you sit down and tell me all about the caterers? What did you think?”

As he handed her the menu, and pointed to the dishes he’d ringed, he saw her lips purse as she perused his choices.

–Prawn cocktail - rather dull,” she muttered, crossing through it.

–Uh, I thought it was a classic,” Seamus replied and shrugged, unwilling to tell her he’d been impressed because the chef said they served it on a ‘bed of crisp lettuce’. –Whatever you think. –

–Moules Marinere ... interesting,” she mused, –but very messy and two fish dishes is a dreadful idea. Hmm...” She flipped over each menu, and with her quill made notes - crossing out Seamus’ suggestions, ringing her own, before finally looking up at him. –Dessert? Any reason you’ve chosen sherry trifle”

–Well, Mam loves it, so ...” he trailed off. –Sorry, don’t you like it?”

–I’m sure it will be fine, and it sounds quite nouveau in its homeliness,” she said distantly, –only we do have to think of others ... so ...” She frowned as she pondered. –Sherry trifle and ... Oooooh, Mohito cheesecake, that sounds divine!”

Squeezing him on the knee, Romilda snuggled into him. –Thank you for doing all this,” she cooed. –It is one less thing for me to have to think about. Today was a ghastly.”

–What happened?” he asked sympathetically.

–Our ever-wise editor,” she pulled a face, –decided to give Lavender the interview with Harry. Honestly, I put in all that time and effort into the anniversary event and he pulls that particular scoop away from me.”

–Sorry,” he said, kissing her on the brow. –She is the chief reporter, though, and she knows Harry better.”

Instantly he knew from Romilda’s reaction that he’d said the wrong thing, and when she spoke it was in a harsher tone.

–That is precisely the point. Her interview will be a fawning mass of quotes about the ‘hero’. She won’t delve at all and no one will find out anything remotely new. It will be bland and pointless - but then all Lavender’s articles are like that, so why should I be surprised?”

Before Seamus could protest (and he wanted to protest because blandness wasn’t an accusation he thought could be levelled at Lavender or her feature articles), Romilda picked up the magazine and threw it across the room.

–Also I can’t find the style of dress I want. Madam Malkin says she can’t source the Chinese silk I specifically ordered. And to cap it all, Demelza told me today that she can’t make the wedding.”

–Is that such a big deal? I didn’t think you and Demelza were that friendly,” Seamus murmured soothingly.

–We’re not,” Romilda snapped. –But her girlfriend -” her lip curled at the word - –has connections, and I thought they’d spring for a decent present. Apparently, they’re on holiday.”

–Okay ...” Seamus trailed off, his thoughts muddling in his mind. –Do you think that maybe it would be better to postpone the wedding?” He gulped when he saw her reaction, a furious and frosty look in her eyes. –I’m only thinking of you, Ro. You’re so stressed by this, and I can wait. June would be good - or July. Gives us more time to plan it properly.”

–NO!” Romilda balled her hands into fists and when she turned her eyes were flashing furiously. – I am NOT postponing this wedding. Or are you saying you don’t want to marry me now?”

–Ro, darlin’ that’s not the case. It’s only ‘cause you’re stressed and we’re doing this so quickly. I thought another month would help, and maybe Demelza can make it then, and that silk you’ve ordered will be in.”

–I’ve set the date and that’s final,” she hissed. –And what do you mean ‘so quickly’? You agreed to May the fourteenth.”

–Because you said it was special to you. Your nana’s birthday. But I’m sure she would only have wanted your happiness, Ro,” he explained and laid his hands on her shoulders, trying to ease the tension. –What about June? We could make it your birthday.”

–No.” Her voice was softer now but still as determined, and then she turned around and snuggled up to him. –I’m sorry. I want it to be May, that’s all. You’ll think I’m being silly, but it’s always been a dream of mine.” She hesitated and he heard the catch of breath in her throat as she swallowed. –May blossom in my hair, all that sort of thing. Besides, I’ve sent the invitations out now.”

–Since when?”

She smiled at him, a faint look of condescension on her lips. –Darling, I sent the invitations out two days ago. I did tell you.”

Had she? –Who have you invited, then? I don’t remember telling you my list.”

–All your family,” she replied blithely. –And I’ve included some of your friends. Hermione and Ron have already replied - sadly, they, too, are going away. But we do have to keep this small. Exclusive, but small.”

–Show me the list,” he said, his voice low.

Sighing, Romilda Summoned her pink wedding file and extracted a sheet of parchment. In purple ink, she’d made a list; he scanned the names, noting she’d added Neville as an afterthought but there was no sign of ...

–Where are Dean and Parvati?” he said. –Or Lavender and Blaise?”

–I’m not having Lavender there. She never stops looking down her nose at me, so why should I invite her?”

–Because she’s my friend, all right, and you work with her. And there’s no way I can’t not invite Dean... or Parvati.”

–No!” Romilda’s face turned an ugly shade of puce and she faced him. –Lavender and Blaise, okay, I’ll agree to that. His mother is influential, after all. But not the other two.”

–He’s my best friend,” Seamus repeated, staring her directly in the eyes.

–And she’s your ex-girlfriend!” Romilda shrieked. –So I’m not having her at my wedding.”

–I’m not with her!” He took a breath, trying to calm himself, to talk through this rationally. –Ro, my darlin’, I’m not going back to her. You should know that. They have a baby now, and all that’s behind us.”

–I can’t have her there,” she snapped, and now when she faced him he could see tears welling in her eyes. –It’s ... too much.”

–I can’t not invite them,” he stated. –And I want Dean to be best man.”

–Absolutely NOT! What will people think?”

–I don’t bloody care what they think. But my friends will think it’s odd that they’re not there, so ...” He snatched the quill and parchment from her, and in purple capital letters, and a double underline added the names ‘Dean’, ‘Parvati’ and ‘Anusha’.

–I’m not having the baby. They cry all the time. And now we have too many people.”

–You can take McLaggen off the list. I never liked that muppet,” he retorted.

–I’ve invited him now, and his dad is my boss, so that won’t go down well at all,” she muttered. –You do want me to succeed, don’t you? Only, you’re starting to sound like a man who doesn’t want me to have my own life and is clinging onto his own past with the determination of a ... a ... Kappa! ”

–They’re invited,” he said, adding sarcastically, –We’ll make room and I’ll split my Mohito-bloody-cheesecake with Dean, if that helps.”

–I thought I was important to you,” she moaned, her fingers now clenched into a fist around her file. –You said you wanted a new life.”

Seamus closed his eyes. The fight wasn’t leaving him, but he knew he had to make peace with her. He owed her, after all.

–I do, Ro, but I also need to say goodbye.”

***


She had called them both into her bedroom, but she wasn’t in bed when they walked through the door. Instead, she was sitting at her dressing table, wrapped in a towel, her long black hair dripping water onto the carpet. She looked wan, her face troubled, and Seamus gulped. What if it was bad news? She’d been preoccupied recently, snapping even at him, when usually she’d laugh.

–Hi,” she mumbled.

–What’s up?” Dean asked. Normally he’d have sat on the bed, lolling back while he waited for her, but he, too, realised something was wrong, and he stood with Seamus in the doorway.

–Er... I ... don’t quite know how to tell you this,” she said, staring at her hands. Then she cleared her throat, and looked up. Her eyes flicked from Dean to Seamus and then back to Dean again. –I’m pregnant.”

Dean seemed beyond words. Seamus watched his friend take a small step back, sway and then right himself. He wondered at that reaction, knowing he felt the same shock, but then stepped forwards to crouch in front of Parvati.

–You sure?”

She nodded and ruffled his hair. –I saw the Healer today. Sorry.”

–It’s a baby,” Dean said, and then he smiled. –There’s nothing to be sorry about. It just ... uh ... complicates things a little.”

Seamus chuckled, and turned to look at his friend. –That’s us all right, complicated and confusing to everyone except ourselves.”

Hearing Parvati sigh, he glanced at her, relieved to see a smile glimmering on her face. –Merlin, I thought you were going to break things. I can’t quite believe this has happened, you see.” She stood up and took both of them in her arms. –I thought we’d always been careful.”

–He’ll be a fine looking lad either way,” Seamus said, grinning. –Although, wouldn’t it be brilliant if it was twins - with two different daddies. Perfect!”

At that, Parvati dropped her arms from their shoulders. She turned away and walked over to the window, her expression hard to read with the light behind her. –The Healer told me that I’m ten weeks pregnant.”

There was no mistaking the surprise and then joy on Dean’s face, and although he didn’t realise at the time, that look was when Seamus realised things were over.

–I was in Ireland, wasn’t I?” he murmured.
Chapter Endnotes: Plots thicken, I hope well and not too lumpy.