Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shamrock by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: OH! It wasn't the Hag's Rest after all, Gina. Ha ha ha.

It had started as wetting the baby’s head, before the birth. Parvati, then in the last trimester and feeling tired, hadn’t objected to Seamus and Dean going off to the pub without her after the pair of them had solved a case. She hadn’t minded them coming back a bit the worse the wear for drink - even if they had woken her. She hadn’t even thrown a wobbly when Seamus had dropped the takeaway curry all over the carpet, failed to clean it up properly, and then trailed Masala sauce through the house. And she hadn’t shouted when Dean had staggered into bed, waking her up as he placed his hands on her belly and started singing to the baby.

She’d put up with it because she knew something was wrong. There had never been a doubt in her mind that she’d keep the baby. No one could have persuaded her to abort - even if she was unsure of the timing - but if she’d known the consequences of that one night with Dean when they’d been careless, then she knew she’d have done things differently.

She could feel her old life slipping away, and the relationships she’d slid into with startling ease were putting up more obstacles than she knew how to deal with.

She stared at the pair of them over the table. Both had been out the night before, Seamus singing at the top of his voice, Dean giggling uncontrollably as he’d tried to hush him. It hadn’t mattered. Once she’d realised they were home, she’d locked her door and cast Silencio.

–You okay?” Dean asked.

–Fine,” she replied, hoping she didn’t sound sour.

–You locked your door.”

–I’m sleeping for two,” she snapped. –And I don’t want this baby’s first words to be a drinking song about trolls.”

–Sorry,” Seamus mouthed. He was clutching his head and trying to sip piping hot black coffee, but from the green tinge to his face, Parvati doubted he’d keep even that in his stomach.

–Go back to bed,” she said, –and sleep this off.”

–I’m fine,” Dean said, and standing up he crossed the room to the stove. –Nothing a fry up wouldn’t cure. Eggs and bacon for three?”

–Merlin, no,” Seamus yelped and rushed off to the bathroom.

–For two?” Dean queried, looking at her.

She shook her head and chewed on a piece of dry toast. –I don’t want to put on any more weight,” she grumbled. –I’m the size of a house.”

–Ah, that’ll be the Thomas genes,” Dean replied. He stopped what he was doing, crossed the floor back to her and started to massage her shoulders. –Sorry about last night. Were we really annoying?”

–Yes.” Parvati turned her head, nestling her cheek into his stomach and he bent over her. –Sorry, I know I must seem like such a killjoy, but I’m scared shitless about all of this. Hell, Dean, we’re going to be parents, and I’m not sure I can cope - especially not if you and Seamus are going out on the lash every night.”

–It’s not every night,” he started to say, then stopped speaking as he crouched down on the floor. Dropping a kiss on her stomach, he lifted his face to hers. –I know we were out of order last night, but that’s the last time - I swear. You’re due next month and I’m not missing the birth - okay.”

On his way back from the bathroom to apologise, Seamus halted and watched them through the door. The past months had flown by and he’d watched in curious fascination as Parvati’s body had changed. Intrigue, however, had turned to isolation from that first fluttering kick. She’d squealed and grabbed his hand, inviting him to share. But it was Dean’s baby wriggling inside of her, and Seamus after declaring delight, and withdrawn his hand.

Turning away from the kitchen, he clumped up the stairs and collapsed on his bed. They needed him gone, and he needed ... he needed ... something else.

He’d moved out the week later, telling them it was temporary because they needed time with each other, and telling himself it was time to move on. Now, when he pondered his reasons, he wondered if they knew he wouldn’t be back. Both had protested, but neither had actually stopped him.

The afternoon the baby had been born, he’d taken the Floo to St Mungo’s clutching a huge blue teddy bear.

–Sorry, I was sure yer man was going to have a son,” he’d said, wreathing his face in smiles as he bent to kiss Parvati on the cheek.

–She had other ideas,” Parvati said, and giggled. –Dean made them double check. He was as convinced as you were that I was having a boy.”

–So where is he? And where’s the newest little witch in his life?”

Yawning, she gestured to the corridor. –He’s taken her to see his mum. Grace can’t get through to the wards because of the enchantments, so they have a special waiting room for Muggles.” Then she patted the space on the bed next to her. –It’s lovely to see you, and Baby Patil-Thomas will be thrilled with the teddy whatever the colour.”

Patil-Thomas. –You don’t have a name for her yet, then,” he said neutrally.

–Not yet,” she sighed. –Perhaps you can help us.”

–Yeah, perhaps,” he muttered, but he’d known he wouldn’t.

That night he’d got drunker than he’d ever been, staggering from one pub to another until finally collapsing in a gutter near the Hag’s Nest in Knockturn Alley.

And it was there, as he tried to get to his knees but had stumbled and hit his head, Romilda had found him.


***


The job at the Ministry bored him. There was no doubt it paid well, and could very well have been interesting to a lad fresh out of Hogwarts and keen on earning a steady wage. But life in the newly developed Department of Magical and Muggle Co-operation was not all it had promised. Seamus had applied because he knew he needed a job, but also because he knew he thought his specialist knowledge of Muggle life in Ireland meant he could contribute something. But anyone could do his job. It was basic and involved little more than filing. The only upside that he could see was it once he was married, he could transfer to Paris, and that it stopped him brooding on what might have been.

Except he wasn’t able to switch off his thoughts when Parvati was sitting opposite him.

–You were supposed to be meeting Dean for lunch,” she accused.

–I’m busy!”

–This is the third time you’ve cried off, Seamus. Anyone would think you’re avoiding him ... Or is it me?”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

–I gotta go,” he said, snatching up the organiser - or trying to because Parvati Banished it across the room.

–NO, YOU ARE GOING TO TALK TO ME!” she yelled. –AND I’M A BLOODY SIGHT LOUDER THAN THAT BOOK.”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

–SHUT UP!” they both screamed.

–Finnigan, you will take this dispute elsewhere!” The man irritably opening the door from his secluded office wore a scowl on his face. Seamus groaned when he realised Percy was once again working through his lunch.

–I’m going now,” he replied apologetically. –And Parvati was leaving.”

–Was I?” Furiously she clutched at his arm. –I want to speak to you Seamus. If you have to make this bloody appointment, then I’ll come with you.”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

Ignoring the organiser, he stared at her fingers as they rested on his arm and felt something inside of him give way - just a little. –I guess we do need to talk. Wait for me in the Leaky. I’m only going to Twilfit and Tattings, so I won’t be long.”

She smiled gratefully, and just for a moment, he could see himself back in her arms, his fingers and lips making her dance inside.

–What is she doing here?” whipped someone from the corridor.

Seamus groaned shook himself away from Parvati, and smiled weakly at Romilda.

–Query about the wedding invitation,” he replied smoothly. –Wasn’t sure she could bring Anusha. I said we had no problem on that score.”

–You could have sent me a letter,” Romilda said, turning her gaze on Parvati as she stepped towards Seamus and tucked her arm under his.

–I was passing,” Parvati replied coolly, –and the thing about sending notes is that they can so easily be lost.” She trilled a laugh and looked away from Romilda. –That owl you used for the invitations, Seamus, you really should pension him off. He delivered ours to the derelict house opposite from us.”

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING,” screeched the book into the awkward silence.

–Seamus addressed the invitation,” Romilda said clearly. –Perhaps the address was smudged.”

–Or you told the owl somewhere else,” Parvati replied. She gave Seamus a lukewarm smile. –It was only because we were looking for the next door neighbours’ Crup that we strayed in there and saw the invitation on the doormat.”

–You know what my writing’s like, Pav,” Seamus muttered awkwardly. –What did the envelope say?”

–The Crup had chewed it up, so I couldn’t piece it together.”

He smiled, relieved. –Well, there you go, simple mistake and it’s all sorted now. And ... as I said ... we have no problem with you bringing Anusha.”

–Our pleasure,” Romilda said, through tight lips. –And now that’s cleared up, you won’t need to meet up after Seamus’ robe fitting. Or were you after something else?”

–Thought we could catch up, that’s all,” Parvati admitted no longer looking at Romilda but focusing solely on Seamus. –It’s been a while since we talked.”

–What do you have to talk about?” Romilda asked, her hand now lacing into Seamus’.

Parvati shrugged and turned away. Seamus watched as she started to walk to the door, her shoulders sagging. But at the door, she looked back, a small, sad smile on her face, as she pulled out a fine delicate chain and fingered the pendant. –Above everything, Seamus, we were always good friends. I thought we’d gone through far too much in our final year to ever let that go.”

–We’ll catch up soon,” he wanted to say, but Romilda forestalled him.

–You have your invitation, Parvati and yes, you can bring the baby. Just please make sure you sit at the back with her. I would hate our vows to be interrupted by her bawling.”

Parvati blinked and her gaze shifted to Romilda, then back to Seamus. With a quick tug, she pulled off the necklace. –I think, perhaps, you need this more than me,” she murmured and held it out to him. –Don’t worry about Anusha ruining your day. I’ll keep her at home.”

–Parvati, wait,” Seamus called, and wrenching away from Romilda, he caught her hand. –Come on, I can’t get married without my two best mates, being there, can I?”

–I’m sure Dean will come along,” she said softly, –and you know Lavender - any excuse for a new dress. But ...”

–But what?” he asked, ignoring Romilda’s grumbles about how late they were going to be.

–You need people at your wedding day who are only wishing you well. People who want you to be happy together,” Parvati replied. There were tears starting in her eyes, pricking at her spiky lashes. Hastily she dashed them away with her hand. –I want you to be happy, really I do, but I don’t think you will be with her.”

–You’re wrong,” he muttered.

–I hope so,” she whispered, then raised her voice. –And I hope you love him, Romilda because he deserves someone very special.” Then as she walked away, her hand slipping out of his, he saw she’d left the green, sparkling shamrock in his hand.

–ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING. ROBE FITTING.”

–Jesus, Ro, shut that fucking thing up.”

***


Lavender was sitting at her desk thumbing through a report when the owl arrived. She recognised Brooking straight away, because Dean’s owl was a handsome tawny with an odd habit of tilting his head to the left as he landed. He stuck out his leg and Lavender fed it some chocolate buttons as she idly pulled out the message.

‘Went to see Seamus yesterday. He cancelled on Dean - again. Tried to talk to him but bloody Mildew turned up.

I know I shouldn’t have gone there, and now I feel even worse because I stormed out and said I wasn’t going to the wedding.’


–Oh, Parvati,” Lavender groaned.

‘But I just don’t get this. I know he felt awkward with the baby. I know it was tough on him. And I was wrong thinking nothing would change because obviously it did, but ... Lavender, why is he marrying her? He has nothing in common with her, does he?

Merlin, I’m sorry. Rereading this makes me realise what a whiny cow I’ve become. I should be ecstatic, shouldn’t I? I have Dean and I have Anusha, and I need to accept that I can’t have Seamus ... not anymore.

I just wish it didn’t hurt so much.’


–You ready?”

She looked up to see Blaise entering the newsroom, a vague look of impatience on his face, but also resignation because he knew she was always delayed.

–Hell, is that the time?” she murmured. –Sorry, I was finishing up - really I was - but then I got a letter.” She thrust it at him. –From Parvati. She sounds in a dreadful state. I think I should go round.”

She was surprised Blaise took it from her, and even more surprised when he read it because usually he refused to become involved in the detail of Parvati’s unconventional life.

–What do you think?” she asked tentatively.

–That you should go and see her,” he muttered. –But maybe not quite yet.” Perching on the edge of her desk, he perused the letter again whilst she waited in silence for him to speak. –This is interesting.”

–What is? That Parvati’s hurting? Or that she’s not going to the wedding?”

He shook his head, and unconsciously helped himself to one of the sweets in her dish. –Parvati wonders what Seamus sees in Romilda, which I think is pretty obvious.”

–Because she’s great in the sack!” Lavender said scornfully. –I didn’t know you knew her that well.”

He cast her a look, quirking one eyebrow and ignoring the insinuation. –I meant that he’s using Vane as an escape. You told me before he met her that he was drinking heavily. Perhaps he’s just substituted one release for another. And, as they’re moving to France it does mean he won’t have to deal with any of this again.”

–So what is it you find interesting?” Lavender asked him, now mollified by his answer.

–That no one - not even you - has wondered what Vane sees in him.” He raised his hand, silencing her protests. –Hear me out. I know you all love him. You’re Gryffindors and in your eyes none of you can do any wrong, but ... Lavender, he’s hardly the catch of the century. He’s a laugh and a friend but-”

–He’s a very good friend,” she replied waspishly. –And Parvati loves him.”

–Yes, she does,” Blaise agreed, –but why would Vane? Ever since she started here, you’ve come home with stories about her audacious social climbing, her need to get ahead, and her hunger for the best scoops.” He coughed slightly. –Not that ambition is at all bad, and I’ve seen you panting so hard for a story I thought you’d collapse from dehydration.”

–Wow, thanks for that,” she interrupted sourly.

Smirking, Blaise popped a chocolate button in her mouth and flipped her on the nose with his finger. –I don’t think you’re with me because of my connections, though, are you, Miss Brown?”

She snorted. –You don’t have any. Not since Flint ran through all your mother’s money.” Then she frowned, and her eyes flickered towards a pristine desk in the opposite corner. –It bugs me that I don’t know why she’s so set on going to Paris.”

He bent down, touching his lips to her cheek before murmuring, –Perhaps we need to find out, then.” He laughed when she frowned. –Come on, Lavender, you’re the investigative reporter. Tell me what I need to do.”

–Cherchez le ... er ... job opportunity,” she replied and stood up, Summoning her bag and cloak. –I’ll see what I can find out. What are you smirking about, Zabini?”

–Gryffindors. You really make me laugh. All that talk about action, but you never quite believe one of your own can be devious, do you?”

–Watch and learn, Zabini,” she muttered. –Watch and learn.”

–Oi, I thought we were going out for dinner,” he called out as she powered out of the newsroom.

–Dinner in Paris,” she called back. –I’ll pay.”

***


That first time he’d woken up at Romilda’s he’d felt utterly bemused. He’d been drunk the night before and had woken up on her sofa. She padded through from the kitchen, carrying two cups of tea and had set one down on the table in front of him. Then she sat back in the armchair opposite and watched him.

–How did I get here?”

–You’d hurt your head and I didn’t think you were safe going home by yourself.” She sipped at her tea delicately. –You sounded quite upset about something.”

He sat up, then pulled the blanket around him when he realised he was naked. –Merlin, I’m sorry, did we ... er ....”

–We ... almost did, but I think you’d had rather too much to drink.” She smiled. –I had fun, though.”

He reddened as he caught the faint tease in her tone. –Sorry,” he muttered.

She shifted her weight in the armchair; the action caused her dressing gown to gape open, and he spied more than just a hint of cleavage and a pair of white breasts encased in a red lace bra.

–Don’t apologise,” she said. –I told you I had fun, it’s just a shame you were too out of it.” Then Romilda licked her lips. –Perhaps we can rectify that unfairness, Sean.”

–It’s Seamus,” he muttered, not altogether sure he was offended that she couldn’t remember his name.

–Oops - sorry,” she mocked. –I am actually perfectly aware who you are Seamus Finnigan, but, I wonder, do you remember me?”

He frowned slightly and tilted his head to the left as he perused her, taking in the black hair falling to her shoulders, the dark blue eyes and the full red lips. Then he smiled at her. –Romilda Vane, of course. Didn’t we meet last year at a work do of Lavender’s?”

–Mmm, well remembered,” she replied, looking not altogether pleased at the mention of Lavender. –You were with Parvati Patil that night, so I didn’t think you’d noticed me.” Curling her legs underneath, Romilda sat back in her chair and stared out of the window. –I think this is the part, Seamus, where you tell me that the pair of you had had a row, and that whatever happened between us was a mistake.”

Seamus gulped at his tea, spluttering as it scalded the back of his throat. –There wasn’t a row,” he muttered, –but we’re no longer together.”

There was a silence. Romilda finished her tea and set the pink china cup back on its saucer. Then, in one fluid move, she uncurled her legs, stood up and let the dressing gown slip from her body. Almost dropping his cup, Seamus shakily placed it on the table and tried to look away. But she was now stepping towards him, her hips now at his head height as she sashayed over. –In that case,” she murmured, –why don’t we let you have some fun, too?”

Taking his hands, she curled his fingers over the elasticated lace of her knickers and gasped as he tugged them off. Closing his eyes, and his mind from all thoughts of Parvati, Seamus gave in to the scent and feel of Romilda.
Chapter Endnotes: Well, I liked writing it, but I understand if it ain't your thing. Why not drop me a line, though. T'would be so sweet!