Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shamrock by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
–It was a washout, I’m afraid,” Lavender sighed. Accepting the glass of wine from Parvati, she sat down on the sofa and closed her eyes.

–So there’s no other motive for her going to work for La Voix,” said Parvati, –other than the job?”

–She’ll be their British correspondent, and has rather played on her Gryffindor connections to Battle heroes, but that’s all.”

–She was underage!” protested Parvati. –She didn’t fight!”

–She was part of Dumbledore’s Army, though, wasn’t she?”

–Was she?” Dean entered the lounge, carrying three plates of pasta, which he set down on the table.

–Mmm,” Lavender replied as she forked some spaghetti into her mouth.

–OH!” Parvati clutched Lavender’s arm, causing the fork to clatter out of her hand and to the floor. –Sorry,” she muttered, –but ... look, I’ve just remembered something. Romilda’s usefulness to the DA was based on her potions knowledge, wasn’t it? Plus she was devious.”

–OH!” Lavender stopped speaking, her mouth wide open as she took in what Parvati was saying. –You don’t think-”

–It’s possible, isn’t it? Would explain a lot.”

–Would one of you tell me what’s going on?” Dean said, sounding exasperated. –Honestly, the pair of you need to close your mouths before the Nargles get you.”

–Love Potions!” Parvati exclaimed. –Romilda had ‘experience’ with them; you must remember when she spiked those chocolates and Ron ended up eating them.”

–Doubt Lavender will forget,” Dean said, and smirked at her.

Lavender ignored him and frowned remembering their eventful seventh year. Turning to Dean, she explained, –During that year, all our parcels were opened and anything suspicious was confiscated. By Christmas we couldn’t even get hold of Daydream Potions - the Carrows thought they were subversive - and Love Potions were deemed dangerous.”

–Why did you want Love Potions?” Dean asked, confused at the direction this conversation was going.

Parvati took up the tale. –The Slytherins on patrol weren’t very vigilant if they were dreaming about Snape, or snogging each other. Didn’t last that long, but it was enough to get us out of a few situations.”

–And Romilda brewed things for you, did she?”

Nodding, Parvati took a sip of her wine then said, –It was her idea to combine a Love Potion with the Daydream Draught. It was airborne, you see, so we’d waft it out towards them, and that way we wouldn’t have to rely on them eating something we’d spiked.”

–Sounds brilliant.” Dean grinned. –And no one caught on?”

–It was mild, and we chose wisely. As much as we really wanted to see Pansy throw herself at Goyle, we knew she’d become suspicious, so we waited for her to patrol with someone we knew she fancied, like Malfoy or -” Parvati grinned mischievously –- Blaise.”

–What so you-” Dean tried to stifle a laugh at Lavender’s furious face, but he couldn’t and had to put his food down in case he spilt it on the floor.

–No, we didn’t!” Lavender said firmly. –After Christmas, Blaise didn’t patrol with her so it wasn’t necessary.” Glaring at them both, she picked up her glass and swirled the wine around and around, finally stopping to take a sip. –I don’t think she’s drugging Seamus.”

–It makes sense!” Parvati exclaimed.

–No,” Lavender said gently. –He’s clear about what he’s doing.” Then she took Parvati’s hand, holding it between her own, as she tried to think what to say to comfort her. –He told me he loved her, and I think he does ... in his own way.”

There was a wail from an upstairs room. Blinking back a tear, Parvati got to her feet, gesturing to Dean that she’d deal with Anusha. It was when she left the room that Dean started to speak.

–I don’t know what to say to her,” he muttered. –God knows I didn’t want him to leave, but I understood. And I know why he’s marrying Romilda. He wants a new life and ... I can’t blame him for that.”

Her eyes flicking towards the door and seeing no sign of Parvati, Lavender leant forwards, and whispered, –If Anusha had been Seamus’ baby, would you have left?”

–I ...” Dean shook his head, looking bewildered. –I really don’t know. I love Parvati and Anusha so much, and I can’t imagine anything being different. But I miss Seamus, too, you know, and ...” He paused and Lavender saw him swallow. –I’m worried this will break us.”

Touched at the desolation in his voice, Lavender groped for some reassuring words, but in truth she wasn’t sure anymore.

–It was nothing,” Parvati said as she walked back in. –She’s gone back to sleep. What have you two been talking about?”

–Blaise,” Lavender replied smoothly. –Dean was asking where he is and I was explaining that he’s still in France.”

–Why?” Parvati asked. –You’re not thinking about transferring there as well, are you?”

–Nothing like that.” Lavender resumed eating, twirling her spaghetti on the fork. –There was an apothecary near the house Romilda owns, and they promised to order something for him, so he stayed over. He’ll be back early Saturday morning.”

–In time for the wedding,” Parvati intoned. –You’re still going then?”

–Uh ... yes, I may not like Romilda much, but Seamus is a friend.” She turned to Dean. –Are you going?”

Giving Parvati a long glance, Dean nodded, then flicked his eyes back to Lavender. –I’m Best Man. Even got a hand written note from Mildew instructing me on the exact shade of charcoal grey I need for my dress robes.”


***


Seamus was sitting curled up in his favourite armchair when Romilda walked in. From the look on her face, he knew he was in for another evening of wedding day angst and interrogation. He searched his mind, wondering if he’d forgotten something, but his robes were ready, the menu confirmed, and he’d made all the changes to the seating plan that Ro had orde - he corrected himself - that Romilda had ‘asked for’. Fixing a concerned look on his face, Seamus uncurled his legs and held out his hand.

–What’s up, my darlin’?”

–Chicken Pox!” she said angrily. –Ridiculous, isn’t it?”

–Er, I suppose so ...” Seamus trailed off wondering if Romilda had taken a Confundus Curse to the head, but she seemed steady on her feet.”What’s ridiculous, Ro?”

–The Potter children have just gone down with it along with Harry, so none of them are coming!”she seethed. –Seriously, who gets chicken pox when they’re grown up? I know he always goes on about his deprived childhood, but I didn’t think it stretched that far!”

–I’m sure he didn’t do it to spite you,” Seamus mumbled.

She shot him a look. –He’s supposed to be your friend, Seamus. I thought you’d be more annoyed.”

–He is, but there’s not a lot we can do if he’s ill. Is Ginny coming?” he asked, hopefully.

–No, she’s playing Quidditch. Seamus, I told you all this. Really you have a memory like a sieve.” Groaning, she lowered herself onto the arm of his chair, and lent over to peck him on the cheek. –What are you doing, anyway?”

–Writing my vows, as you instructed,” he said, gratified when she smiled back at him.

–May I see?”

–Uh ... I wanted to surprise you on the day,” Seamus replied, then grinned sheepishly. –Sorry, I haven’t got very far. It’s kinda hard to write this stuff down.”

–You’re sweet,” she murmured, and lowered her mouth to his, squeezing alongside him on the chair.

He slid his arms around her waist and started to kiss her neck. Romilda had been so tense recently, that it had been a while since they’d been together. –How about we forget all this wedding stuff and slope off to bed?”

–Ah ha!” Romilda pulled away and laughingly snatched up the parchment he’d been writing on. –Now I have it.”

–Ro, it’s not finished. I haven’t had a chance -”

–’Romilda, my darling’ - Good start, Seamus.” Romilda giggled as she started to read.

–Give it back!”

–No, let me finish. – ‘You came along when I needed something and showed me a different way to be.’ ” Seamus looked down at the ground, wishing that he could be swallowed up. Romilda frowned. –Not sure about that. I don’t think people need reminders of your alternative lifestyle. ‘You bring me light and warmth like the sun.’ That makes you sound like a plant!” She stopped reading. –You didn’t get very far.”

–I told you I wasn’t finished,” he protested.

–We only have four days,” she said firmly. –You need help, Seamus, and as I am the writer in the relationship, then I will help you. Besides, they need to fit with mine.”

He couldn’t help feeling a little relieved. Writing down feelings was almost as bad as articulating them, and he didn’t want to disappoint her. He pecked her on the cheek. –Go ahead, my darlin’, I’m sure it will be wonderful.”

***


In a cafe on ‘La Rue de Melusine’ Blaise stirred his coffee whilst he waited for the apothecary to open up. Opposite, he could see Romilda’s house, the shutters closed against the early morning sun. He’d been observing the house for a day or so now, marvelling at its location in one of the smartest roads in Paris, a road where the occupants of similarly grand houses flaunted their wealth the way peacocks displayed their feathers.

And again he wondered why Romilda Vane was marrying Seamus Finnigan.

He’d never liked Seamus at school. He’d thought him an idiot, and then he’d been jealous of Lavender’s past with him. But after the Battle of Hogwarts, they’d formed ... well, not a friendship exactly, but they got on and could relax in each other’s company when necessary. Seamus was a decent bloke, but Blaise had enough experience with his mother to know that witches like Romilda didn’t marry men decent men - unless they had money.

A waiter sashayed past, holding a tray of steaming coffees which he delivered to four giggling girls, all of whom were eyeing him hopefully.

–A refill, monsieur?” The waited had stopped by Blaise’s table, ignoring the girls as they giggled louder.

–Oui, merci,” Blaise replied.

–Monsieur is English, I think,” said the waiter as he Summoned the coffee pot.

Blaise smiled ruefully. –Is my accent that bad?”

–Non, it is charmant,” replied the waiter. –I ‘ave a sensitive ear, monsieur and I pick these things up. It is a passingtime of mine.”

–Pastime,” Blaise corrected, then smiled. –Sorry, monsieur, that is rude of me. Your English is certainly better than my French.” Waiting for him to finish pouring, Blaise then lent forward. –Tell me, do you know a Mademoiselle Vane? She’s English, too.”

The waiter shook his head. –Non, there are very few English patrons here. The last was Madame Cresson, but she married a Frenchman. That is ‘er ‘ouse that you ‘ave been studying.”

–That house now belongs to the witch I mentioned just now. Madame Cresson was her grandmother.”

–Mademoiselle Vane?” queried the waiter.

Blaise nodded. –You sound surprised.”

–It is ... confusant, that is all,” replied the waiter as he walked away.

–Why?” Blaise called out, but the waiter started to serve someone else and didn’t look back.

Confusant ... confusing. He weighed the words up in his head as he finished his coffee. Then, after leaving some coins on the table, he left the cafe. The French Ministry was a Floo connection away. He didn’t know if he’d need an appointment, but there was something he needed to check out.

***


Since the run in with Parvati, Seamus hadn’t spoken to Dean properly. He’d sent a message apologising again for cancelling lunch, and hoping Dean understood that it was just the wedding preparations. Then he’d repeated his request for Dean to be his Best Man and waited for his response. It had come by return owl, Dean declaring that of course, he’d be his best man, and nothing would keep him away from his mate’s big day. Then they’d met up briefly at Madam Malkins’ but with Romilda supervising the last minute robe alterations they hadn’t had a chance to catch up. Dean’s parting remark had been to say that if there wasn’t a stag night, then the whole deal was off.

And although Dean’s demand made him smile, somewhere inside Seamus wasn’t sure it was what he wanted to hear. The trouble was he had no idea what he wanted to hear from Dean, or Parvati, or anyone else in his life... or rather not in his life.

–You don’t have to go out tonight. I’m not having a hen night.”

Seamus was straightening his shirt and checking his hair when he heard Romilda’s voice. She was sitting by the window in their lounge, staring across at him, but as the room was dark, he couldn’t make out the expression in her eyes. Deciding she was joking, he grinned at her –Fergal will skin me alive if I don’t,” he replied.

–But it’s the night before the wedding. What if they take you off somewhere, and you’re trapped inside a-”

Walking over to her, Seamus stopped her fretting with a kiss. –Don’t worry, I won’t get too drunk. The guys just want to give me a decent send off. And I’m sorry it’s the night before the wedding, but Fergal couldn’t get here earlier.” He kissed her again and smiled ruefully. –We’re not supposed to see each other tonight, anyway, so don’t worry.”

–Who’s going?”

–Uh ... not sure. Neville, obviously, as it’s at the Leaky, Dean, Fergal, Ron - I hope - Terry, Ernie and possibly Justin.”

–With his boyfriend?” Romilda inquired, raising one eyebrow.

Seamus shrugged. Romilda’s question wasn’t out of malice, but he knew she was fishing for a scoop and Justin had always kept his private life very much private. –No idea,” he replied, giving her another kiss.

–What about Blaise, or does Lavender not let him out anymore.”

–Don’t think so. Dean said he was away. France or something.”

–France?” Romilda’s eyes narrowed and he watched as she flicked her hair off her face. –Why did he go there?”

–Ro, darlin’,” he replied, –I never know what’s going on in Zabini’s mind. All I know is that he’ll be back in time for the wedding - or Lavender will castrate him.”

–Any idea where he went?”

–Uh ... I think he has relatives - or step-relatives in Nice, so there, perhaps.” Seamus stopped fiddling with his tie, and turned to look at her. –Why are you so interested in Zabini?”

There was a silence and then Romilda burst into peals of laughter. –Seamus, darling, you sound jealous! I’m not at all interested in him.”

–That’s not what I -” he started to say, but she silenced him with a kiss.

–Go and have fun,” she said, adding as she pulled away. –I put the vows in the inner pocket of dress robes before I had them delivered to yours and Fergal’s hotel room. Make sure you’ve learnt them off by heart, darling.”

Seamus grabbed her again, his hands around her waist as he pulled her up close. –I’ll see you tomorrow, then,” he muttered.

She nodded. There was, he thought, an odd look in her eye, and he wondered if she was about to say something else - perhaps another plea for him to stay home, but instead she held him tight against her.

–Hey, I gotta go,” he murmured, extricating himself. –Don’t worry, though. Even if Dean and Ron Apparate me naked to the Slytherin common room, I’ll get back in time for the wedding, Ro.”

***


The figure Apparating back in the narrow alleyway, staggered briefly whilst he took in his surroundings, and then strode towards the house.

–Open up!” he cried as he hammered on the door. –Parvati! Dean! Open up!”

–All right, all right, there’s no need to - Oh!” Lavender stopped speaking and opened the door. –I thought you weren’t due back until tomorrow morning.”

–Change of plan,” Blaise said. Dropping a brief kiss on her cheek, he pushed his way into the house. –Where’s Dean? And ... why are you here?”

–Dean’s on Seamus’ stag night, and I’m babysitting for Parvati. She’s gone to see Padma,” Lavender explained. Tugging on his arm, she forced Blaise to turn around and face her. –What’s got you in such a state, Zabini?”

–The wedding,” he said grimly. –I know exactly why Vane’s marrying Seamus, and he needs to know the truth!”
Chapter Endnotes: Reviews are incredibly welcome, especially as this story seems to be sinking like a boulder in Lake Windermere