Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shamrock by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Parvati drove through the streets of London not exactly sure where she was heading. Seamus had said he wasn’t coming home, but they needed somewhere to talk, and with Anusha at Padma’s, at least the house would be quiet. Alongside her, Seamus was mostly silent. He said the odd thing, answering one or two of her questions lightly, and assuring her that he was fine.

–Where are we going?” he asked when they stopped at some traffic lights.

–I ... don’t know,” she muttered. –Look, I know we need to talk, and it probably should be somewhere neutral, but we need somewhere private, too.”

–Take me back to the house, then,” he said, sounding weary.

Parvati nodded, and turned the car down a side street as she navigated her way to a familiar area. The roads were clearing now; the football matches in full swing, so she put her foot down, intent on getting as much distance between Seamus and Romilda as possible.

–It’s okay, you know,” he murmured, –I’m not going back to her. It was all a colossal mistake.”

–Because she lied to you?” Parvati asked, keeping her eyes on the road. She’d forgotten Seamus’ innate ability to keep track with her thoughts, and smiled ruefully.

–Partly,” he said shrugging. –But mainly because I don’t love her, at least not the way I loved you.”

Loved. Past tense. She gulped and then stopped the car, pulling up by a railing overlooking the Thames.

–You’ve moved here, have you?” he teased, but followed her out of the car.

–I shouldn’t have let you leave,” she said as she fished in her pocket for a handkerchief. –I didn’t realise you meant it, you know? I just thought you needed a week away, or you were giving me some space with the baby. If I’d known you weren’t coming back, Seamus, I’d have used the Imperius Curse to make you stay!”

–I don’t think you would have done,” he replied after a while. –You’re not manipulative like that.”

Blinking back tears, because she didn’t want them to be the reason he stayed, she turned to face him. Then she groaned. –It’s no good. I can’t have this conversation with you. Not when you look like Dean.”

–I’m not Dean, though,” he said, sounding sad. –That’s the problem, isn’t it?”

–Not for me, and it never used to be for you, unless you were lying for all those years.” She gripped the railing, feeling suddenly angry with this man next to her. –We were together for nearly nine years, Seamus. The three of us worked well together. We didn’t give a toss what people said because we were happy and it was right for us, but then you walked out.”

–You know why!” he protested. –Jaysus, Parvati. You have a baby now. You and Dean have a daughter, and she needs parents, and not a bloody lodger bringing her up!”

–Lodger? What the hell ...” She turned to him, shaking him by the arms, no longer seeing Dean’s face in front of her, spying Seamus at his most implacable but with all his insecurities brought to the surface. –How can you say that? How can you think that? Nine years!” she repeated, then held him close, defying him to pull away. –And the seven years at Hogwarts. Don’t you dare forget them.”

As Seamus shuddered, she cupped his face in her hands. –That last year, Seamus. You and me, on patrol, running from the Carrows. I’d have caved without you, broken into a hundred pieces. You understandme. And ...”

And if you leave now, it will break me.

He jerked away, turning his face towards the river, no longer looking into her eyes, so she released him and stepped back. –Sorry, you have your own life. I can’t ask you to be a part of something you no longer want.” She sighed and started to walk back to the car. –Do you want me to drop you off somewhere?”

–You could take me back to my flat. It’s been sold, but the buyer isn’t moving it till next week. And Ro will have left by now, but ...” He chewed the side of his mouth, clearly worried about something.

–What’s the matter?” Parvati asked.

–She drugged the camomile tea,” he admitted. –She must have known you’d found out, so when Dean changes back, she’s going to be looking for me.” Flushing, he started to laugh, the sound bitter. –I’m not a very brave Gryffindor, am I? Scared of a woman.”

–You’re not ‘scared’,” Parvati replied. –You’re being cautious. Has she really drugged the tea?”

–According to her dad, yeah. I shouted out a warning to Dean, so I doubt he’ll drink anything.”

With a wry smile, Parvati got into the car, opening Seamus’ door from the inside. –Dean’s not going to drink any of that ‘cat’s piss’. You should know that. But ... you could be right about Romilda tracking you down. Blaise said the inheritance was a lot of money.”

–Exactly. And she knows where you live.”

–But not Padma,” Parvati mused. –Come on, you can crash there for a while.”

***


–FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST. FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST. FINISH YOUR BREAKFAST!” screeched the organiser.

In despair, Dean hurled the book at the wall, hoping the shock would dull its screech. He’d never found out from Seamus how to shut it up, but slamming it into the brickwork did not have the desired effect. Instead, the organiser flopped open and increased its orders.

–SHOWER. SHOWER. SHOWER. SHOWER. SHOWER. FLOSS YOUR TEETH. FLOSS YOUR TEETH. FLOSS YOUR TEETH.”

–SHUT UP. SHUT UP. SHUT UP!” yelled Dean, but the book didn’t listen. Picking it up, trying to see if slamming it shut would deaden the sound, Dean, suddenly, had had enough. In exasperation, he threw the book out of the hotel window and watched it land in the road.

It was still shouting. Muggles walking past looked on in surprise, then in amusement as they checked the area for hidden cameras, obviously thinking this was a television show. He sighed in relief, the silence deafening him, and then lay back on the bed. There was nothing he could do now except wait for the Polyjuice potion to wear off.

–You getting ready, Seamus?” Fergal called, rapping on the door. –Only we thought we’d have a drink in the bar before we set off for your date with doom ... I mean destiny! Vane’s paying, just so’s you know.”

–So he can keep an eye on me,” Dean muttered. He narrowed his eyes, perusing the room as he remembered Seamus’ shouted warning. The tea was drugged; he’d have to act very loved up, or Vane would realise he hadn’t drunk any of it.

–I’ll be down in a bit,” he replied. –Just ... er ... flossing my teeth.”

–How’s your head?”

–Fine, fine,” Dean replied, then added a small groan remembering Seamus had only just woken up. –Not brilliant. Better make mine a pint of orange juice.”

–Sure, and I’ll add a tot of vodka. Nothing like the hair of the dog that bit yer, Seamus.”

Dean laughed, then breathed again when he heard Fergal’s footsteps padding down the stairs. There was half an hour before the potion wore off. He’d have to stay put, and just pray that Parvati was getting through to Seamus.

***


Padma’s flat near St Mungo’s was unrecognisable when Seamus walked in. The last time he’d been there, the place had been immaculate. Padma’s impeccable taste had led to her decorating her lounge with ivory silk wallpaper, a plush cream carpet, and cream leather sofas strewn with satin cushions in an array of colours. When he’d been before, Seamus had felt awkward and out of place, as if sitting on the carefully positioned sofa would somehow upset Padma’s equilibrium and cause her concern.

So he crossed the threshold in trepidation, making sure he wiped his feet thoroughly. Then he burst out laughing. Far from the elegant room he’d been expecting, Padma’s sofa had been denuded of all its cushions, and the patterned throw he’d last seen used as a wall hanging, was now serving as a roof for a den. A gurgle from inside the tent, followed by a deeper, throatier laugh, left Seamus in no doubt where Padma and Anusha were.

Beaming, Parvati ran forwards, crawled into the tent leaving Padma to emerge, her hair in disarray but a similar smile on her face. Then the smile left her face when she saw him.

–No luck with Seamus, then,” she said darkly, plucking at his sleeve. –Look, Dean, if he does marry that girl and leaves for France ...” Padma trailed off, glanced at Parvati, then pulled Seamus into the kitchen, saying loudly that she was making tea.

–What will happen if he marries Romilda?” Seamus asked, trying to sound casual.

–Come on. You know what she’s been like since Seamus left. It’s not just the stress of the baby. She’s lost something important - and so have you. But you’ll be fine, won’t you?” Padma scoffed. –Always the same. ‘Seamus is my mate. He’ll come around.’ Well, he hasn’t, clearly and you need to do something about it!”

–Here we go,” Parvati said, grinning as she cradled Anusha in her arms. –Anusha, my darling, this is going to be a little strange for you, but I want you to meet someone.”

–What the hell are you on about?” Padma asked, bemused when Parvati held Anusha out to Seamus. –She’s met her own dad before .... OH!”

She broke off when Anusha stared at Seamus, pulled an uncertain face and then stuck out her bottom lip.

–You’re not Dean. Merlin, thanks for the warning, sis!”

–It’s all above board,” Parvati protested. –We just needed a way of getting Seamus out of the hotel, and no Muggles witnessed anything.”

–I wasn’t about to report you!” Padma replied. –Just ... uh ...”

–Your sister thought I was Dean,” Seamus murmured. He stared down at Anusha, who after her initial wobble was now clutching her tiny hand around his nose, and giggling when he stuck out his tongue. –Amazing how this one spotted I’m not her daddy straight away. She’s beautiful, Parvati.”

–I know. Sometimes I can’t quite believe she’s mine.”

–She looks just like you,” Seamus replied, and smiled. –Good job, too. Dean’s ugly mug wouldn’t make a pretty girl at all.”

–As long as she gets her aunt’s brains,” Padma said lightly. –Then she’ll be all right. Go and sit down. I’ll make tea.”

–You should probably take her,” Seamus murmured. –It might freak her out when I change back.” He glanced at the clock, frowning. –Uh ... I hate to say this, but I took that potion over an hour ago-”

–You haven’t changed back-” Parvati clasped her hand to her mouth. –Merlin, so if you haven’t changed, then what’s the betting Dean is still Seamus?” She jerked her head away from him, calling out to Padma, –Why would Polyjuice Potion last longer than an hour? Seamus should have changed by now.”

Bearing a tray of tea, and a plate of biscuits, Padma set both down on the coffee table before replying. –Depends on the brewer. Some make a stronger version.”

–No, this only worked for an hour the last time it was used,” Seamus interjected, now getting worried for the fate of his friend.

–Was it old?” Padma asked.

–Mmm, will that have made a difference?” Parvati replied

–Does any of this matter?” Seamus yelled. –Dean’s still there, as me, and the wedding kicks off in less than half an hour. Unless you can assure me that he’s going to change back immediately, we need to get there and rescue him before it’s too late.”

–He won’t marry her!” Padma said, sounding infuriatingly casual. –Besides, even if he does, it will be illegal.”

–But Ro will have married someone and that might be enough for the French authorities.” Seamus handed Anusha back to Padma and stood up. –I’m going to the wedding. Are you coming, Parvati?”

–Try keeping me away,” she said, determination rife in her tone.

–You’re a star,” Seamus replied, and as she smiled at him, he felt something inside slip back into place. He still loved her - that was what mattered - and if they wanted to make this work, then why was he running away?

***


Romilda set the tiara on her hair, fixing it into place with the aid of hairpins gripping into her hair. Behind her, Aunt Jemima fussed with her veil, getting ready to drape it in place. They’d commandeered a side room next to the Ministry function room, where the ceremony would take place, and her aunt had made sure there was a full length mirror and a dressing table, so Romilda could touch up her make-up if required. She examined herself from every angle, admiring her cheekbones, and the arch of her newly waxed eyebrows that made her dark eyes seem even bigger than usual.

–You look beautiful,” her aunt whispered reverentially.

Yes, not bad Romilda thought with a smile, and smiled coyly. –I hope Seamus thinks so,” she replied.

–Of course he will,” Aunt Jemima insisted. She crept to the door, opening it a crack and studying the function room. –It’s filling up, and Seamus is standing there with ... Oh, it looks like his cousin. I thought you said that friend of his was best man.”

Romilda smirked at her reflection. Obviously, her dad’s strong arm tactics had been enough to put Dean and Parvati off. With Lavender and Blaise locked away, she was home and dry. –Dean is unreliable,” she said succinctly. –Thank goodness Seamus has seen sense.”

Twisting around, she peered out at her guests, noting with satisfaction that all the important people from The Prophet and the Ministry were already in place. Then she shifted her gaze to Seamus, and something made her pulse thump.

He was looking nervous ... no, not nervous exactly, more shifty and uncomfortable. If he’d drunk the tea she’d had sent to his room, then he should have been looking more relaxed, but Seamus was definitely twitchy, shuffling his feet and glancing nervously around at the room.

Romilda had never been a girl to leave things to fate. She believed a person made their own luck, and thus she never left anything to chance. Reaching for her pale silk clutch purse, she opened the clasp and pulled out a lipstick. It wasn’t a shade she particularly liked, but it would do the job at least for a while.

–It’s time to go,” he aunt whispered, and started to lower the veil over Romilda’s face.


Watching her glide down the aisle on her father’s arm, Dean had to admit that Romilda looked beautiful. He could see what the initial attraction for Seamus had been, because this woman, stepping steadily towards him, exuded glamour and promise. But it was a promise made from tissue paper, and the glamour was artificial. For what seemed the hundredth time, he checked his hand, wondering when his skin would darken and he’d return to his normal appearance. Philosophical that the change hadn’t already taken place, he knew it was now just a matter of him saying ‘I don’t’ instead of ‘I do’ at the right moment. Yes, there’d be a kerfuffle and it would be hugely embarrassing for Romilda, but her mortification meant nothing to him.

As she sauntered alongside him, he stared ahead, and waited for the Celebrant to begin.

–Before we start,” Romilda announced as she lifted her veil from her face. –I wanted to say ‘tradition be damned’. I haven’t seen my darling Seamus for a whole day and I’d like a kiss.”

And before he could stop her, Romilda had wound her arms about Dean, pulling his face down to hers, and kissed him thoroughly. He drew back, staggering slightly , and then he smiled at her.

What was the plan? he thought woozily.

–You may begin,” Romilda told the Celebrant.

***


–Why the bloody hell do these lifts never bloody work?” Seamus roared, as he pressed all the buttons. –Come on, you bugger, we need to get to the fourth floor.”

–Stairs!” Parvati exclaimed. –Come on, this could take all day, and you heard that receptionist, the bride and groom are already here. Dean must be playing along with this.”

–Why didn’t he give her the slip?” Seamus asked. –He could have Apparated on his way here.”

–No idea,” Parvati puffed as they raced up the back stairs. –But I wonder if he wants to teach her a lesson.”

–Eejit! Ro won’t like that, at all!”

Sprinting now along the labyrinth of corridors, Seamus reached for Parvati’s hand, pulling her along in his wake. Padma had thought it likely that the potion would wear off soon, but the age of it had undoubtedly increased its potency. Maybe Dean was playing on the fact that the wedding would be invalid, because it wasn’t really Seamus at the altar. But ... what if they never switched back? What if Dean remained in Seamus’ body and Romilda refused to accept there’d been a substitution? Would Dean have to stay married to her? Seamus knew enough about Romilda to realise she wouldn’t leave anything to chance ... like the chance he wouldn’t have drunk that tea.

–Which room?” Parvati gasped. –Are we getting close?”

–That one,” Seamus wheezed. –Come on, my star, let’s go rescue Anusha’s daddy.”

But as they careened off the walls, a whoosh from a Floo connection caused them to stagger backwards, falling onto the floor. A second flare and another whoosh accompanied another figure, dusty from the fire, and grumpy from being trapped for far too long.

–Where the hell have you two been?” Parvati shouted.

–Trapped in Mildew’s wardrobe,” Lavender retorted. –The spell’s only just worn off, and then we had to find a Floo connection. Fortunately, Blaise’s mother lives nearby so we went there.” She glanced at Seamus. –You didn’t find him, then. Hell, they could be married by now.”

–No, no, it’s cool,” Seamus replied. –We took Polyjuice Potion, but it’s lasted a bit longer than we thought, so Dean’s stuck in there-”

–With Mildew. I can’t see a little thing like the wrong groom thwarting her,” interrupted Lavender. And with a look of grim determination, she blasted open the door. –STOP THIS WEDDING!”

–My girlfriend,” muttered Blaise, –loves to make an entrance.”

The celebrant looked askance when the four of them fell into the hall. He’d had unusual things happen before in the middle of a ceremony. Only two years previously, he’d officiated at the Malfoy wedding where the groom had eloped with the bride’s sister, but he didn’t recall four people charging in with wands raised, and all looking so very scruffy before – certainly not at a wedding attended by so many high-ups from the magical world.

–Lavender, will you hush your mouth? My darling boy’s getting married and you long missed your chance,” hollered Mrs Finnigan. She glared at Parvati. –And he doesn’t need the likes of you messing up his life again.”

–That’s not your ‘darling boy’!” Parvati shrieked.

Sorcha Finnigan stood up, hands on hips and faced Parvati. –Are you telling me I don’t know my own son?”

–Mam,” Seamus cried as he pushed past Lavender. –That’s not me. That’s Dean.” Facing Romilda, he stepped towards her, his hands held up in supplication. –I’m sorry, Ro, but I can’t marry you.”

–This is nonsense!” Romilda spat and snuggled up to Dean. –I know my own fiancé, and he knows me, don’t you, darling?”

Dean nodded dumbly, his eyes peculiarly unfocused, then he seemed to snap out of his haze as he stared at the guests around him. –What’s going on?”

Grabbing him by the waist, Romilda stood on tip-toe to kiss him again, but just as she did so, Dean caught sight of Seamus standing with Sorcha.

And it was Seamus. The potion was wearing off and all traces of him were fading rapidly, just as all traces of Seamus were disappearing as Dean’s skin darkened and his hair curled tight to his skull. Wriggling away from Romilda, he took a step back up the aisle.

–Seamus, are you going to tell your mother what the heck is going on?” Sorcha demanded. –Isn’t it shaming enough that you spring this wedding on me with only a month to go, but now you’re doing a runner!”

Trying not to laugh, Seamus kissed his mum on the cheek. –Sorry, Mam, there isn’t going to be a wedding, but there’s still a reception. And I think there’s still trifle on the menu, which I know is your favourite.” Then, after squeezing Parvati reassuringly on the arm, he walked towards Romilda.

–You shouldn’t have lied to me, Ro,” he said gently.

–Are you saying you’d have married me if you’d known the truth,” she replied. –I never took you for a mercenary, Seamus.”

–I meant telling me you loved me.”

Her eyes filled with tears, but Seamus was unmoved. Was it cynical of him to think that this, too, was an act? Or maybe it was the thought of her inheritance vanishing in front of her eyes that was making her weep.

–You’ve got a month, Ro,” he said and shrugged. –Get yourself down to the Hog’s Head, and I’m sure you’ll pick up a ready-made groom, especially if you mention there’s money involved.”

–I wanted you,” she muttered. –And we would have been happy together.”

–Maybe,” he replied, a touch sadly because Romilda had made him laugh at times. But as he bent forwards to peck her on the cheek, he noticed the predatory glint in her eyes as she tried to fix her lips on his. He jerked away. –Trouble is, my darlin’, I’m never going to know if any of it was true, am I?”

***


It was later, much later, that Seamus Apparated to his flat. Having found his trunk, pulled out all the poncey clothes Romilda had insisted he buy for Paris, and repacked with his old ones, he wondered briefly where to go. But in truth it was an easy decision. He needed time to recover, a place to lick his wounds, and knew the best place for that was in the company of the two people he loved the most.

–Thank you,” Parvati whispered. She embraced him as Dean heaved the trunk to the corner of the room.

–Still not sure this is the best solution,” he murmured.

From the back pocket of her jeans, Parvati pulled out the small green, glistening shamrock. –Look at this. It’s a trefoil, isn’t it?”

–Three leaves,” Dean said as he approached them both. He touched Seamus on the arm. –You remove one and it’s beyond repair.”

Seamus laughed ruefully. –You have Anusha. She’s your third leaf.”

–No, she’s an extra. A very important extra, but she’s like the fourth leaf on a clover. She’ll brings us luck,” Dean replied. –Face it, mate. Without us, you get into trouble with women like Mildew, and without you, we fall apart.” As Seamus still looked doubtful, he turned to Parvati. –Does he know about her name yet?”

–Know what?”Seamus asked, wondering why both Dean and Parvati were smiling.

–Anusha means ‘star’, Seamus. She’s a beautiful morning star. We named her for you.”

He looked at them both. At the hope in Parvati’s eyes that seemed to be diminishing as he hesitated and the frank friendship set in Dean’s unwavering expression. And then he wondered what he would have done if Anusha had been his, and it hit him, with utmost clarity, that if Dean had left, he would have been bereft.

–I’d like to stay,” he muttered.

He could hear their exhalations of relief, and swallowed down the scratchy sob in his throat.

They were three - a shamrock. And removing one leaf meant they were nothing.
Chapter Endnotes: This is the end, my friend.