Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scorpius Malfoy and the Disappearing Girl by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

The story is the sequel to 'Draco Malfoy and the Sins of the Fathers' and to a lesser extent 'The Fish and the Pelican'. The two stories are not necessary for understanding the story, the first chapter opens with a resetting of the story and the setting up of this story.

In Memory of my mother Donna E. McConnell 1937-2012.

Draco Malfoy placed a Galleon into the right hand of the Ministry driver who had driven his family of four through the mid-morning London traffic to ‘King’s Cross railway station’. As Draco turned from the driver, he reached to his right to take his wife, Astoria, by the arm so he could properly escort his lady into the station. As they walked through the station doorway, he smiled at the fact that Harry Potter had arranged the transportation for his family. The thought reminded him of the days of his youth when Ministry officials jumped to please members of the Malfoy family.

As they strolled toward their destination, he reflected on the difference in his status compared to a year ago. While the changes had all been small incremental ones, the totality of the changes had created a whole new world full of possibilities for both himself and also for his precious son, Scorpius.

A year ago, he, Astoria, and Scorpius lived in two small rooms in his parents’ manor house. And from the manor’s greenhouses, he and his wife had run a struggling owl-order potions business. While seeing his son off on Platform Nine and Three Quarters, Draco had, against his normal instincts, showed kindness to a family called the Dokes. The Dokes had become friends with his family, and the Dokes’ boy Jimber and Scorpius were closer than many brothers.

At school, Scorpius had been inexplicably sorted into Gryffindor. Draco suspected the sorting had something to do with the Jimber being previously sorted into that house. A Gryffindor son had been hard for Draco to accept. However, Draco’s father had never accepted the sorting, and blamed it on Draco and his unworthy daughter-in-law’s lenient parenting of the boy.

Along the way, the two boys befriended Albus Potter and Rose Weasley, who were the children of Draco’s childhood enemies. So to be polite, he and Astoria had associated with the Weasleys and Potters. Draco had to admit that the Potters were acceptable, if somewhat banal, company and the two Weasley females, Hermione and Rose, almost made up for the family dolt: Ronald. Unfortunately, the Weasley girl had become infatuated with Scorpius and he with her. The pair’s state of on-again off-again puppy love was something Draco hoped they would both eventually outgrow. The idea of him and Weasley being close family was enough to keep him up at night.

Now, thanks again to Harry Potter, Draco and his family had bought the old Black family residence on Grimmauld Place in London. Astoria was blossoming in her new home, not having to be a servant of her in-laws, and Draco was quite happy to be out from under his father’s always condescending eye.

The family potion business, which was now located in Diagon Alley, was now almost too successful. The workload at the store had greatly increased, because they had just lost Rebekka Dokes as their only employee. She had returned from exile with her husband and their ten-year-old daughter, Bethany, to their Caribbean homeland, The Island.

The slightly profitable shop had raised him and Astoria from the edge of abject poverty to a just getting by financial status. Of course, no-one, especially the Weasleys, or Potters, would be allowed to know how little the family was really worth. Draco was still his parent’s son in that manner. He had to keep up pretences of wealth, because not being rich would be a sign of weakness. And Malfoys are never weak.

As Draco and his wife walked arm-in-arm toward the entrance to the platform, the two boys kept trying to get the adults to hurry their pace through the unwashed throng. Draco and Astoria would never do such an undignified thing and they walked through the crowd like the high-born, pure-blood Lady and Gentleman they were.


Scorpius and Jimber laughed as they raced their trolleys through the late morning Kings Cross station commuters. As they approached the entry pillar, Scorpius turned to find his parents were at least ten metres behind him. The looks on his parents’ faces were not very happy ones. How could they not understand that they had to be on the platform early? He and Jimber had to see what happened when James Potter and Kaitlin Jones met on the platform for the first time.

The two boys took the pillar at a run almost bowling over an auburn haired Muggle woman wearing a rucksack and pushing a pram from a train on platform number nine. Upon crossing over, they spun their full luggage carts around, almost ejecting Scorpius’ owl’s cage from the trolley. As the bird screeched its displeasure at this treatment, the two boys began to search for familiar faces on the crowded platform.

Jimber yelled and pointed ahead to where he saw Albus, James, and Rose watching as their luggage was stowed onto the train. Kaitlin Jones was nowhere in sight. The two boys eagerly joined the friends that they had not seen for a fortnight.

–Rose, did we get here before Kaitlin?” Jimber eagerly asked.

–I don’t see them here, do you?” Rose answered. Scorpius noticed that Rose did not look happy at either Jimber’s question or the eager tone of voice in which he asked it.

Scorpius gave her a little smile, which Rose shyly returned.

Leaning his head forward toward Rose, he pointed down and asked in a soft voice, –How’s your hand?” He and Rose both looked down at her left hand. As soon as he asked, Scorpius felt the blood rush to his face. He also saw that Rose was reliving the memory of him being the first one to her after she had fallen the twenty-five metres off her broom and into the sandy pit at the bottom of hoops. Scorpius could still feel the anguish from the sight of her rolling in pain in the sand. The only thing he could think to do was to take her by the right hand and repeatedly assure both her and him that she would be all right, while the Harpie’s Captain Gillette Pierce provided first aid to her broken hand.

Rose heard a half-suppressed chortle and saw James smirk over at them as Scorpius’ right hand lightly touched Rose’s left hand. Her cousin’s reaction brought her back to the present.

"My hand and fingers are fine, thanks. My mother took me to St. Mungo’s to make sure,” Rose said looking at where the bones had been broken when she collided with the centre hoop in a vain attempt to deflect a shot during their scrimmage against the three Harpies’ Developmental players, her Aunt Ginny, and Kaitlin’s Aunt Gwenog.

–Hello, Mister and Mrs. Malfoy,” Rose said looking over Scorpius’ shoulder. Scorpius quickly moved his hand from Rose’s hand as she added, –I don’t see Bethany. Did her parents take her back to the Island?” asked Rose.

–Yes, the three of them left last Monday afternoon,” answered Astoria Malfoy in a soft voice looking at Jimber. –I wouldn’t talk about it; Jimber is still a bit touchy about the subject right now. Oh, Rose, I do like what you’ve done with your hair. The cut is quite flattering. It opens up your face so much more,” Astoria added with a smile.

–Thanks,” said Rose as she automatically touched her hair above her right ear. –I let my Aunt Fleur style it,” Rose answered, as she turned her head and the hair danced around her face. Rose turned toward Scorpius to find that he had not noticed and was talking to Jimber and Albus.

Rose sighed in obvious disappointment.

–Give him a few years, Rose. Soon they will all notice,” assured Astoria Malfoy.

Rose smiled a grateful smile in response.

As Scorpius and Jimber helped the Porter stow their luggage, James Potter bellowed, so loudly that the Muggles on Platforms Nine and Ten might have overheard him, –Kitty-Kat, how’s Gryffindor’s favourite Chaser? And where’s your Quidditch Captain’s badge? Did you forget to put it on your robes?” As Kaitlin Jones bristled at his taunts, James laughed loudly, turning to the other boys to share his glee.

–James Sirius Potter, come here. Now!” Harry Potter spoke in a measured, but heavily edged voice. James visibly gulped and walked the six steps over to face his father. The longer his father spoke to him the lower James’ head dropped.

Kaitlin smiled and waved for Rose to come over to her trolley. The two girls whispered to each other just out of Scorpius’ earshot. As Kaitlin finished her whisper, Rose said, –Boys; they are so alike.” The two girls laughed. Whatever they had whispered to each other, it irritated Scorpius.

–Father, this is my friend Rose Weasley,” said Kaitlin Jones to the man who was just finished supervising the loading of Kaitlin’s trunk.

Owain Jones stood up; the broad shouldered man towered over the twelve year olds. –Hello Rose. I heard that you’ve really helped our Katie keep up with her studies. Thank you. I also heard that Gillette Pierce was so impressed by your Keeping skills and how well you took to her coaching this summer that she wants to pre-sign you to a Harpies’ contract out of Hogwarts.”

Rose blushed and answered, –Thank you, Mister Jones.”

Mr. Jones turned to face Scorpius and Jimber. –And you must be Jimber Dokes. I played against your Uncle in a friendly between Wales and The Island.” Jimber stood up straight as his natural slouch disappeared.

Jones next focused on the blonde boy next to Jimber, he extended a hand and asked, –And you are Scorpius Malfoy?” Scorpius nodded. –My sister said that you have a lot of raw ability, but more importantly the brains to match. For Gwenog Jones to give a compliment to any male player not named Jones is indeed high praise,” said Owain Jones.

–Thank you, sir,” said Scorpius, as he extended his hand to shake the one offered by the Captain of the Tutshill Tornados and five time Quidditch Champion. As they shook, Scorpius peeked over to see if his parents had heard the compliment. The pride on his father’s face showed him that they had.

James scuffed his feet on the platform’s surface as he returned to Kaitlin’s luggage trolley –Kaitlin, I’m really sorry about my shouting at you earlier.”

Kaitlin half-smiled, but she also seemed very wary of a trick. She was right to be wary, because in his next breath James added, –I’m sorry that I’m a much better Seeker than you are, Kitty-Kat. I’m also really sorry that Freddy is the Captain and you are just another player.”

Suddenly, James began to gag and took two quick steps to reach the nearby dustbin so he could start to wretch. The people standing around Kaitlin’s trolley heard laughter coming from the train’s window. And on mass, they turned toward the train to find Albus standing within the car holding his wand with his right hand and a pair of dried gum pellets on his other palm. –That’ll shut him up for awhile,” Albus said, checking to see if either of his parents had noticed. –Man, I love Waddiwasi.

Kaitlin smiled up at Albus. –I guess I can’t judge all Potters by one bad egg.”

As the crowd watched James, Margaret Quince showed up pushing her trolley stacked with her trunk, a barn owl in a cage and a meter high box containing multiple drawers. –Rose, Kaitlin, Potter, Malfoy. Are we all ready for a new year back at Hogwarts?”

Scorpius looked over at Rose and Kaitlin. Kaitlin looked more than a little embarrassed by this meeting; she had invited all of the first year tryout players except Margaret to Holyhead for their summer practice. Rose, who was on more friendly terms with Margaret than Kaitlin was just, smiled at the brunette girl.

Jimber must have felt the strain, as he asked, –Margaret, mind if Scorp and I load your gear?” Margaret nodded her head and moved the small box off of the top of the trolley.

While they were loading Margaret’s gear, Jenelle Gliech and Harry Baird showed up, and they all began to exchange stories about their summer. Harry Baird introduced everyone to his little sister, who had just turned eleven, –Cristabel Abigail Baird.”

–My name is Abby. Please, never that other name. I’m Abby,” the thin pony-tailed, dishwater blonde said in a pleading tone to the group at large. She next turned toward her brother and more forcibly added, –It’s Abby understand!”

Harry just nodded, and when she turned to introduce herself to the other females he smiled at her.

Just a few minutes after Abby had been introduced to all of them, Rose began to take Abby under her wing explaining everything about the train, sorting and school houses. Scorpius noticed that Kaitlin was looking through the crowded platform as if searching for someone else.

Suddenly, Kaitlin whistled an ear piercing blast from between her teeth. –Rhys,” shouted Kaitlin. –I was afraid you might miss the train! Everybody this is my cousin Rhys Jones. He’s my Uncle Ioan’s youngest child. Uncle Ioan played for the Caerphilly for a couple of years. Rhys here is going to be a first year, and will most probably end up beating James out of the Gryffindor Seeker position.” Kaitlin said the last words loud enough to get James to raise his head out of the dustbin to face her.

–All aboard. Ten Minutes ‘till all aboard,” shouted the conductor.


Jimber and Scorpius walked over to Draco and Astoria. Last year, Scorpius’s farewell from his parents had been very stiff and formal. The second year’s trip began with a hug from his mother, a wink and a pat on the cheek from his father, and the handing over of an envelope filled with five gold coins - enough to buy at least one treat for each member of the team from the food trolley. Jimber got the same treatment from Astoria as Scorpius did.

However, when it came to the time for Jimber and Draco to say goodbye something bizarre happened. Mr. Malfoy hesitated, as if fighting some internal battle, until he gave Jimber a big bear hug and said, –Isaac told me to do that and to tell you he is proud of you and expects good reports from Headmaster Flitwick.”

As Jimber pulled away from Mr. Malfoy, he gave Scorpius a wide-eyed stare of disbelief.

Draco continued, –Isaac, also he wanted me to tell you that Hogwarts now has a Tern Post delivery system set up with his office on The Island. So, any problems will be reported to your parents within two days.”

Jimber’s wide-eyed expression grew somehow wider. –You’re joking, right?” he asked, hoping against hope that Mr. Malfoy was.

Draco just shook his head and added, –And if Isaac hears something about Scorpius from Headmaster Flitwick, he will pass it on via Tern to us. So be warned Scorpius. Don’t let your little Gryffindor gang lead you too far astray this year.”

–I don’t know what you mean, Father,” answered Scorpius. Draco smiled at his son’s answer which showed pride in his friends without showing disrespect to his parents.

Jimber and Scorpius, following Astoria’s instructions, said their goodbyes to the parents of their friends. For some reason, Ronald Weasley took it on to himself to muss with Scorpius’ perfect hair. The inexplicable action caused Draco to take a step toward Weasley, but Astoria gently reached out her gloved hand to block his path to the dolt.

As the children all stepped into the train cars, the adults formed an arc by the windows. When the train began to pull away from the platform, the parents began to wave their hands as they watched until the car carrying their children disappeared into the haze of an overcast mid-day.

As the adults turned from the train, Ginny Potter stepped toward Owain Jones and his wife Glendra. She seemed to be interested in setting up a time so she could interview him for her column in the ‘Daily Prophet’.

The Potters movement opened a path for Draco to get to the Weasleys. Draco was just about to register his displeasure with Ronald Weasley when Hermione turned toward them and said, –You’ll have to forgive my husband, Astoria. He was attempting to make a joke with your son.” As Hermione finished her eyes rolled to the top of her head signalling displeasure with her husband’s action.

–What?” asked Ron, who seemed to have no idea why anyone would question him. –I just told you son to be careful. Last year’s adventure was enough for their seven years at Hogwarts. He said they didn’t look for an adventure it just found them. I told him, ‘yeah but let’s not make it a habit’ and I mussed his hair.”

–I noticed. The question is why?” Draco said, sounding more polite than he felt.

–Rose. I wanted her to see your boy is not perfect. I think it will keep them more friendly than romantic,” answered Ron.

–Ron, girls like to fix their boys. Rose will notice his hair and feel compelled to set him right. It will only reinforce whatever feelings she already has and create confusion for the both of them,” Hermione explained to a husband who was not getting her main point.

Draco noticed that Ginny Potter was nodding in agreement to her sister-in-laws analysis of what her brother had done.

–I know what you mean, Hermione. You can fix men for a while, but they don’t stay that way do they?” Astoria said as she, Hermione and Hugo Weasley, and the Potters moved toward the pillar that exited the platform. The little group was followed by the two men, who were wearing very put upon faces.