Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scorpius Malfoy and the Disappearing Girl by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Draco sat in Grimmauld Place’s formal dining room, looking past the candelabrum in the center of table, taking in his father. From behind his tea cup, he examined his father in a new light. Lucius Malfoy sat resplendent, like the days of old, in his ermine stole and his mink lined cloak. He noticed that his father looked years younger than the last time they’d met at the manor. One of the things he noticed was that his father’s hair looked less white than it had before; was his father colouring his hair?

Lucius extended his teacup into thin air and without missing a beat, Krocker, the house-elf, re-filled it. Without acknowledging the service rendered to him, the senior Malfoy turned back toward his son and sat the cup back on its saucer. Krocker turned towards his master with the teapot at the ready. Draco nodded his head; his cup did not need refilling.

–I was five the first time I was in this place. My mother was here to visit her distant cousin to celebrate the birth of Sirius Black. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have stifled the brat in his cradle.” From a wry smile glimpsed for a second, Draco could see his father imaging and taking pleasure from the rewriting of history.

–Yes, but now I’m the master of this house,” replied Draco. He turned towards Krocker and said, –We will not need any more of you or your uncle Kreacher’s service for the next hour. Please see that no one, including your mistress, disturbs us and that no one, including yourselves, overhear us.”

The young elf placed the teapot on the ornate silver tray next to the plate of mixed biscuits. He bowed to Lucius and bowed deeply to Draco and disappeared.

Draco waited a second before beginning; the delay made him feel more in control. He knew that the feeling was an illusion, but it was he who had first put this scheme into motion, not his father. It was he who was in charge of pulling it off, so he would make his father wait just to remind him of the change in position.

–Astoria played her part quite well with Hannah Longbottom. According to the bar man, Longbottom called Potter and Weasley to a meeting just like you predicted.” Draco smiled over at his father.

–Yes, your wife did fulfill her part in the plan without messing it up,” drawled the old man. ”I may have underestimated her capacity, or maybe she’s just a good liar.”

–Why can’t you ever accept Astoria as an equal? She is a devoted and loving wife. She’s the mother of your only grandchild,” fired Draco back at his father. He had to fight the urge to stand up and physically intimidate the old man.

–She is not our equal. Her grandfather, Ulysses, was a Mudblood. I just hope that piece of trivia is not well known. It could haunt Scorpius’ future.”

–You lost the war, father! Blood status doesn’t mean anything in this new millennium.” Draco spoke more forcibly than he ever had even back at the famous fight about the marmalade.

The older man’s demeanor turned from languid to razor-edged in a heartbeat. –We lost the round, not because our cause was wrong. We lost because the Dark Lord became fixated on Potter and the prophecy. If he’d ignored the whelp, we would have prevailed.”

Draco sat back and listened to his father weaving his web. The old man planned for combinations of all possibilities - both the probable to the never-in-a-million-years combinations. He was amazed at the amount of pleasure his father derived from the act of scheming.

–Potter won’t kill Weasley! That will never happen. They’re friends and family,” Draco responded, a good half-hour into the plotting.

–I agree that I can’t see that it will ever happen. It will never happen, just like Snape will never become a spy for the blood-traitor Dumbledore.” The venom in the way he spoke Snape’s name was twice as strong as when he mentioned Dumbledore.

After another ten minutes, Lucius ran out of sides to play against each other. He sipped his cup and pulled a face. –My tea is cold.”

Draco looked at his father, pulled out his wand and silently fired a spell to heat the teapot. Lucius looked at the pot and back toward his cup. Draco reached over and filled his own cup with the warmed liquid and sat the pot down. Lucius raised his eyebrow and placed his cup containing cold tea back on its saucer.

Draco, fatigued by all of the scheming, decided to deliver to his father the latest news about his son. –Just before you arrived, we received an owl from Scorpius. He made the house Quidditch team as a Chaser,” smiled Draco. He hoped the pride he felt in his son was evident in his face.

Lucius’s face became flushed. –Why didn’t you tell me that before? This is bad. We must do something about that. It could derail some of the more promising scenarios that we have planned for.”

–How can your grandson making the team and Harry Potter’s eldest child not making the team be bad news?” Draco saw the all too familiar look of disapproval at the question.

The elder Malfoy shook his head slowly, a movement designed to add to the insult that Draco knew was about to follow. –It’s obvious. Even Goyle could see how? Are you really this dense or is this an act?”

Silently cursing his father’s talent of phrasing his ridicule to prevent the insulted from properly responding, Draco asked, –What are you scheming Father? What are you planning for my son?”

–Only what’s best for him. You’ll both thank me later,” Lucius said.

The more his father talked about what must be done about Scorpius, the more Draco felt sick. He questioned the need for this, but his father insisted it was necessary. He had no choice. They had gone too far down the trail to turn back now.

A knock came from outside the door. Draco called out to the room, –Yes?”

The swinging door opened and Kreacher’s bowed head appeared in the gap, –Forgive the interruption, Master. The hour of privacy you requested is up and Kreacher was wondering if his Master required more time with his illustrious Father? And if so, will our honoured guest be staying for supper?”

–We are done. And my father will not be staying,” answered Draco.

Lucius gave his son a wry smile and lazily held his teacup out. The ancient elf filled it. The smile was designed to remind Draco who was the puppet and who was the puppet master. Draco had to stop himself from telling his father what he thought and where he could go.


Headmaster’s Office at Hogwarts

Draco stood looking out of the window in Headmaster Flitwick’s office toward the sun setting behind the mountains beyond Hogsmeade. He inhaled once and walked to the chair that had been offered him. Flitwick sat on a platform that kept him at desk top level. Sitting to Draco’s right were Neville Longbottom and Ronald Weasley. Draco was glad that Potter had not shown up to the impromptu meeting. The dolt Weasley would be easier to manipulate than his boss would have been. He was also pleased that the school had reacted to his owl prior to Monday’s class. The quicker the axe fell, the less the pain might be inflicted.

Draco cleared his throat. –When I read the message from Scorpius earlier today, I was struck with very mixed emotions. The first was pride that my son was deemed to have the talent to make his team. I also felt some relief that those in the school were judging him as his own person and not the offspring of me or my father. However, almost immediately I was struck with another. deeper emotion.”

Draco looked over at Weasley. He was doing his best to look like he needed the man’s permission. –Mr. Weasley, I’m on uncertain ground here.”

Ron’s eyes narrowed.

–Well, a person representing himself as being an associate of your intruder has threatened both my wife at home and my son at Hogwarts. I know that the Ministry is doing an investigation into the matter of the intruder. I’ve not said anything because the person making the threat said he had people in the Auror office.”

Draco saw Flitwick turn towards Weasley, –Auror Weasley, were you apprised of this threat to one of my students?”

Weasley shifted his body to the side and finally leaned toward the headmaster with this arms resting on his knees. –We were made aware of the threat through a third party. We are investigating to see if the report is credible.”

–And you did not see fit to notify me of this threat?” asked Flitwick.

Both Longbottom and Weasley twitched at the implied reprimand. Neville spoke up, –I was first told of this after school on Friday. I was going to tell you first thing Monday morning.”

–I see,” replied Flitwick.

–Who told you of this?” Draco asked, giving his best look of disbelief to Longbottom.

Neville looked over at Ron, who fidgeted and spoke. –We have an anonymous source.”

–I must know. If someone is spying on my family, I must take all precautions to prevent this from happening in the future.”

–I can’t divulge my source. However, I can guarantee you that the source is no threat to you or your family,” Ron assured Draco.

Draco made a point of looking everywhere except Weasley. –Let them think I’m angry or unsure of what to do,” he thought.

–Weasley, we will come back to this informant later. However, the reason I asked for this meeting is that I am concerned about my son’s safety. According to Scorpius’ letter, you have found evidence of the intruder in the school and the forest.”

Flitwick nodded.

–And yet, you let our children hold tryouts just a few hundred yards from the forest?” asked Malfoy.

–We found no intruder,” Ron responded to the charge.

Draco flashed a look of derision at Weasley. He held the Auror’s eyes for a second and then delivered a well practiced sigh. –I don’t want to repeat myself. Headmaster, did you send for Scorpius and the Weasley boy?”

Flitwick nodded. The headmaster placed his wand to his throat and mumbled something too quiet for the others in the room to hear.

After a minute, Scorpius and Fred Weasley opened the door. Scorpius’ face lit up when he saw his father. Draco did his best to look his son in the eyes. He wanted to remember the pain all of this would cost his son. He had to know the cost that would need to be repaid by those responsible.

Draco pulled a form out from his cloak and turned toward Flitwick. –I cannot sign this form to have my son practice and play Quidditch right next to the suspected location of a known intruder. I cannot sign when threats have been made against his life. However, the moment they capture this person I will gladly sign it.”

Scorpius’ smiled dissolved in front of him. Draco noticed that a look of hurt and betrayal began to grow on his face, but the boy remained silent. He let the anger he felt at his son’s pain give him the extra emotion the next part of the plan called for.

Draco placed the paper on the Headmaster’s desk and turned toward the younger Weasley. –Fred, I believe, is that correct?”

The young man nodded.

–I’d like to thank you for choosing my son and judging him on own his merit. Your mother is Angelina Johnson, isn’t she?”

Fred Weasley nodded again.

–Well if you’re half as good as your parents, I’m glad I don’t have to face you on the pitch.” Draco offered his hand to the younger man.

Fred shook the extended hand. –Scorp is a great Chaser. I’d hate to not have him against Slytherin in a month’s time.”

Draco still ignoring the hurt on his son face, released the young man’s hand. Quickly, he turned to face the elder Weasley. –Last year thanks to the Auror office’s incompetence, my family had to spend our entire Christmas holiday in hiding. I will not spend another holiday in fear. I give you and Harry Potter until All-Hallows Eve to remedy these issues or I will begin to take things into my own hands. And if it is not fixed by Christmas, I might take Jimber and my family to the Island. They might need a good potion shop there.” And Draco turned to leave.

Ron spoke up. –What do you mean that you will take things into your own hands?”

–I will find those who’ve threatened my family. I will capture them and when I’m done with them, I’ll let you know where you can pick up what remains.”

–Father!” Scorpius’ shock at his father’s venom caused his voice to rise an octave higher than normal.

Draco turned and, reaching his right hand up behind his son’s neck, stepped forward and pulled his son close. –You and your mother mean more to me than my life. I will not let others hurt either of you. I will protect you even if it means I must do things-–

–Don’t. Let Rose and Albus’ fathers handle it,” answered Scorpius as he began to pull back from his father.

Draco stepped back and placed his right palm lightly against his son’s cheek. –If you’re ever lucky enough to have a wife and a son like I have, you will learn that sometimes you must look out for yourself. Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley have to obey Ministry rules and regulations. I don’t.”

–Father, don’t do it. If you do things on your own, you might get hurt or something. We can’t lose you,” Scorpius said as he hugged his father. Draco didn’t have to fake the tears that came to his eyes. He hugged his son for a minute and then pulled back. He adjusted his waistcoat and tie. He looked back at his son.

–Scorpius, I’m giving the Aurors over a month to do their jobs,” Draco said as he turned toward Ronald Weasley, who was sitting wide-eyed, his mouth agape. –However, on Halloween, I and probably my father will be on streets, securing the safety of our family. And we will use every spell that we know until we are certain of their safety.” With his threats still echoing around the room, Draco turned on his heel and left the Headmaster’s office.


When the portrait hole closed, the Quidditch team was waiting in the common room. Scorpius was in shock. He didn’t know what to make of it all. He was temporarily off of the team, his father was threatening to join his evil grandfather in breaking the law, and he might have to leave Hogwarts to go and live on the Island.

Rose and Jimber walked past the Freddy Weasley as he called the team around him to convey the news. –What’s wrong? Have you’ve been crying?” Rose asked Scorpius.

Scorpius jerked his head and wiped the corners of his eyes. –No, I haven’t!”

–Whoa, Scorp what’s happened?” Jimber started as Freddy began to speak.

–I’ll let Scorpius answer your questions later. However, his father has refused to sign his permission slip to allow him to participate with the team until the intruder is caught. So, I will have to make some temporary changes to the team. James, will you play Chaser?”

–No, I’m the Seeker or nothing,” he answered. Fred next looked at Kaitlin; she gave him a don’t-you-dare-ask-me glare.

Fred had two choices: take Malfoy’s place at Chaser and have Dokes play Beater or promote the reserve Chaser. However, what if Dokes father followed Malfoy’s dad’s lead and refused to sign the permission slip too. He could lose time with another shake-up. Fred looked over at Hillary Russell and said, –Hillary, you’re the third Chaser.

Fred’s announcing of his replacement pulled Scorpius’ head up from the floor to see Hillary’s face light up with joy. He stared numbly as she drew congratulations from Kaitlin and Thistlecrowne. He couldn’t stand to look at the happy group.

As he turned back to Jimber and Rose, he saw Rose give him such a look of pity that it seemed to hit him like another blow. It gave him the impression that she was expecting him to crumble away to dust or something. He’d show them all. There is more to Scorpius Malfoy than what happens on a broom. And without saying anything to Rose or Jimber, he walked to the stairs and up to his four-post bed in the dormitory where he could figure out what had happened and what he could do.


Godric’s Hollow

Ron took a deep breath and knocked on his brother-in-law’s door. Through it, he heard the voice of sister, complaining about the sort of idiot who would be visiting them at this hour, and then she opened the door.

–Sorry, Sis. Is Harry still awake? I’ve just came from Hogwarts and we may have a problem with the Malfoys.”

Ginny Weasley sighed. –You’ve always had a problem with Draco. Why can’t this wait until office hours?”

–It can’t. Draco gave us a deadline of All-Hallows’ Eve or else he’s taking the law into his own hands. He even mentioned using his father.” Ginny shook her head at her brother as she let him pass into the entry-area.

–Uncle Ron,” yelled Lily as she ran across the room, dressed in her pajamas. –She hugged him. How’s Hugo? Did you bring any presents?”

Ron pulled away from his niece. He thought his neck might have been bruised by the girl’s enthusiasm. –Hugo’s got a fever; Hermione’s worried that it might be dragon pox or something. I’m your only present.” Lily looked greatly disappointed.

Harry walked into the room with a small tankard in hand. He put the cup down and shooed his daughter toward her bedroom.

As Ron walked into the living room with Harry, he began to say, –We have a problem.” And as the two became settled in their chairs, he began to explain all that Malfoy had said and the hurt that it caused both the father and son.

Harry sighed and sipped the ale. –That’s not Draco speaking, that’s Lucius.” He stood up and looked out of the window across into the town square. –Draco must really be scared to put himself in debt to his father. Oh, Draco, why couldn’t you’ve come to us?”

–I think that cinches the question about Goyle really threatening the Malfoys,” replied Ron.

–Any word from our inside source?” asked Harry.

–He’s supposed to give his next report tomorrow during lunch,” Ron answered. Harry nodded feeling his old Quidditch nerves kicking in. His office was in a race that had already begun and he couldn’t start running it until half of tomorrow was through.

–Okay, the moment you get your hands on the report bring it to me,” Harry ordered. Looking at Ron, he asked, –Do you think we should take Draco aside and try to reason with him?”

Ron shook his head. –No, he wasn’t talking to Flitwick and me. He was reciting a message to be delivered to you. I think he feels like he’s walking a tightrope and if we distract him he might lose his nerve and his balance.”

Ron scratched at his cheek with his right hand and said, –What about the wife? He made his first contact through his wife. What if Ginny or Hermione meet Astoria for lunch?”

Harry considered the idea. It was a good one, but not perfect. He looked around the room trying to perfect the idea. –No, our wives would be too obvious for spying eyes. However, if Hannah needed a potion for Alice and Astoria were to deliver it?” Harry smiled. He hoped that the subterfuge would be enough. When dealing with Slytherins, he had always felt like he was always in danger of being out-schemed. He needed to recruit some more members of that house into the Auror office for future cases like this one.