Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Awry by Liet Dumbledore, Kaitlyn Snape

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: We know this starts out like any other Lily/James stories, but we promise you- it's different.
---

James was running across the grounds as though his life depended on it when he bumped Mary.

–You okay?” He sounded concerned. But he had to get along with her for Lily’s sake. So Mary decided not to be friendly back. He didn’t deserve it. He didn't deserve Lily. That manipulative, careless-

–Yeah, fine. You?”

–Yep.” James started to walk away when he realized something. –Mary? Do you know where Lily is?” Mary shook her head no, rolling her eyes when he looked behind her to see if Lily was hiding. –I can’t find her, but I bet you can. When you see her, just make sure she is okay. Thanks!”

Once James was far enough away that he couldn’t hear, Mary muttered irritably, –And why should I help you?”

---

Mary found Lily asleep on the window seat in their dormitory. There were tears on Lily’s cheeks, and Mary wiped them away, stroking her hair gently. Then she moved Lily to her bed before pulling the curtains shut. With a determined expression, she walked down the stair to go find James Potter, and make him regret the day he caught sight of Lily. Because this had to be his fault - it always was. Before she could take more than one step out of the Gryffindor common room, Severus stopped her.

–Mary, where is Lily? I need to talk to her.” Honestly, boys were all the same. Asking the girl’s best friend to find her for them. And while she didn’t particularly like Severus, he was Lily’s friend, and she would do anything for Lily.

–She doesn’t want to talk right now.” Mary shifted from foot to foot, impatient for this conversation to be over.

–Tell her I need to talk to her.” Severus really was persistent, wasn’t he?

–Okay,” Mary replied before heading to the library. She worked on her Charms essay for an hour before returning to Gryffindor Tower.

–Severus, what are you doing here still?” I don’t want to talk to you again, Mary thought.

–Waiting for Lily.” Why wouldn’t Severus meet her eyes?

–Did she talk to you?” Severus was a good friend of Lily’s, and Lily never stayed in the dorm for more than an hour.

–Nope.” He sounded really guilty. Mary entered the tower, confused about why he wanted to see her so bad.

---

Lily awoke on her bed. She sat up slowly, carefully, thinking about what had happened. Mudblood, she thought.

–Hey, Lily,” Mary said as she walked into the room.

–Hey, Mary.” Lily realized how awful she sounded - how long had she been asleep?

–Severus is outside the common room. He wants to talk to you.” Lily whipped her head around to stare at Mary in disbelief.

–He has the nerve to say that?” Lily exclaimed. Mary looked at Lily, confusion on her face. –Mudblood. He called me a Mudblood.” Lily looked down at her hands, tears forming in the corners of her eyes. Mary comforted her, and then began to put her things away.

–Crap. Lily, I forgot my Potions book in the library. I’ll be right back.” Mary left the room, leaving Lily to her confused and upset thoughts.

---

Mary hurried to the library. She wanted to make it back to the dormitory before curfew. She found her Potions right where she left it and hurried back to the dormitory. Lily needed to be comforted more, and Mary needed to get to their dormitory before the other two girls did.

–Mary!” Who was looking for her at this time of day?

–What?” Mary turned around to look at Severus in exasperation. He was still outside the portrait hole.

–Tell Lily-” Mary wasn’t listening any more.

–She’s mad at you. Really mad.” Mary started to enter the common room.

–I’ll sleep here if she doesn’t come talk to me.”

–Fine. I’ll tell her that.” But sleeping here wouldn’t be the wisest idea, he would get caught in less than an hour and given detention, or a good hexing, depending on who found him, Mary thought.

---

–Lily, Severus wants to talk to you still.”

–No. I won’t talk to him. I’ll never talk to him. Ever again.”

–Fine. He also wants me to tell you...” Mary paused. –He wants me to tell you that he’s going to sleep outside the portrait hole if you don’t talk to him,” she relayed in one breath. Lily sighed, exasperated.

–I guess I better. Before Potter and his gang find him there. Even though I hate him, I hate Potter more.” Lily stood up and left the dormitory.

---

Snape looked at the portrait hole as it swung open. Ahead stuck out, but it wasn’t just any head. –Lily-”

–What?” She glared at him.

–I’m sorry.” Yeah, right.

---

James heard Lily’s voice around the corner.

–Hey Padfoot, I- um, I have to go to the.....” I have to, you know, go see Lily to confess my undying love to her again?

–The what? Do you have to go to the loo or something?” Sirius was watching him with amusement.

–Uh, yeah.” James blushed. –Wait, no! I have to go to the kitchen.”

–Ok.... do you need any help?”

–NO! I mean, no, Padfoot, I am a big boy.”

–Fine Prongs. Grab me a chocolate pastry. No, make that a cake. With lots of chocolate frosting. Yeah.” He can totally tell that I’m not going to the kitchen. He knows me too well.

James waved off the request and turned to leave. He approached Lily, but froze when he heard Snape’s voice- the slimy coward.

---

–No--listen, I didnt mean--”

–--to call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. why should I be any different?” Severus watched as Lily turned her back and re-entered her common room. A tear slowly began falling down his cheek. She was gone. He would never have a friend in Lily again. Never. She hated him, and he knew it. Lily was gone. There was nothing he could do about it.

–I love you, Lily,” Severus whispered. Then he turned to go to bed.

---

Breakfast the next day was torture. Lily sat with her back to Severus, facing Potter, of all people. And to make matters worse, she was laughing. Severus hated himself. He could never forgive himself for letting slip that one word. He deserved to die.

---

Lily avoided Severus for the rest of the school year. It was hard. A lot harder than she thought. But she need only think of that one word, and it was instantly easy. On the train ride home, Lily sat with Mary and Brianna. Severus tried to talk to her, but she ignored him.

---

–Bye, Lily!” Mary was clearly about to cry, being the drama queen she was, but Lily loved her all the more because of it. How could she live without her over-emotional and gossipy friend?

–Bye, Mary! I’ll miss you!”

–I promise I’ll have you come visit this summer.” I’ll need that, for a relief from Petunia.

–Sounds good. I can’t wait!” The two friends gave each other one last hug before going with their parents.

Lily was excited to get home and talk to her parents again. But she would have to face Petunia again, and there would be no one to prevent Severus from talking to her. It was going to be a long summer. She was already counting down the days until she could return to Hogwarts.