Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Awry by Liet Dumbledore, Kaitlyn Snape

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mary woke up and looked out her window. Remus and James were in the yard again. They appeared to be arguing, and Mary could almost hear their voices.

--

–James, you’re insane.”

–No, I’m not! This is really the best way to start my relationship with Alexandra!”

–But James, I thought you said that they are going to France for the summer. And you think she would choose to spend the summer with some guy rather than go to France with her family?”

–Yes, Remus, I do. Have you ever seen her at school? She’s always got at least two guys beside her. And different guys every week!” James jumped up from his chair and started pacing around the pond. –She’ll jump at the chance to spend the whole summer with an older guy, definitely two. Besides, Mum already agreed to have her come.”

Remus thought for a minute. –You do realize, don’t you, that she isn’t exactly the type of girl who will stay with you, and I bet she will be going behind your back with some other guy the whole time.”

–Exactly! When she breaks my heart, Lily will feel so bad for me that she will have to go out with me.” James’ hair was more disobedient than it was when he finished a Quidditch match, which Remus had previously thought was impossible.

–I could never see Lily dating you because you got dumped, instead of the other way around. She will be more likely to congratulate Alexandra on ending the relationship with ‘a fat-headed git who has never looked past the girl who is unlucky enough to be snogging him.’”

–Please. When would she ever say that?”

–She did the last time you asked her out. Which was, might I add,” Remus checked his watch, –eight days, three hours, twenty-six minutes, and thirty-two seconds ago. And by the way, that’s a new record for The Longest Time James Potter Has Ever Gone Without Asking Lily Evans To Go Out With Him Since The End Of Fourth Year.” James laughed and pushed Remus out of his chair. In retaliation, Remus pushed James into the pond.

--

Lily stuck her head into Mary's room. Mary was on the window seat, gazing into the distance. Quietly, Lily tiptoed over to the window and positioned herself directly behind Mary.

–Imagining Remus shirtless, are you?”

"Oh my goodness Lils! You scared me to death." The two friends smiled at each other, then Mary pointed out the window.

"It looks like they are arguing," Mary commented.

"Yeah." Lily looked down at the two figures. Remus was himself, but James' hair was much more ruffled than usual, making him look a good deal attractive- Whoa, Lily. No. James is most definitely not attractive. He was probably just trying too hard to form an intelligent thought in that walnut-sized brain of his. Lily looked down at James and Remus, who were still arguing.

"Come on, Mary. Lets go eat breakfast." The two girls walked downstairs, both wearing mismatched pajamas. Mary whispered something into Lily’s ear, and both girls began giggling. It was going to be a great summer for both of them.

--

James stepped out of the shower. He still smelled a bit like the pond, thanks to Remus. Alexandra was coming over in three hours, and James wanted to be perfect when she got there. He pulled on his nice jeans and a button-down shirt. After brushing his teeth and forcing his hair to lie somewhat flat, he began to clean his room. By the time the doorbell rang, James’ room was cleaner than it had been in the last several years. Alexandra would love him.

--

–Hey, Alexandra,” Remus said, taking a suitcase from her.

–Hey, Remus. I thought this was James’ house?” she asked, with a puzzled look.

–Yeah, it is. I’m just spending some time here this summer. We’ve been studying for school and stuff.”

–Oh, okay.” Alexandra smiled. James, upon hearing the voices, stepped out of his bedroom and towards the stairs.

–Hello, Alexandra.” He quickly walked down the stairs to where she was standing. –I can take your bags, if you’d like. You’ll be staying in our guest room, right this way.” With each of the boys holding two bags and Alexandra dragging a third, the trio made their way up the stairs and into one of the empty bedrooms. James and Remus set Alexandra’s bags down by the bedroom door.

–James, I just forgot. We left the pie in the oven. I’ll go get it out, and you show her around.” Remus winked at James as he left the room and headed downstairs toward the kitchen.

–So, Alexandra-”

–Please, call me Alex.”

–All right, Alex. This is your bedroom for your stay here. There’s a bathroom in this door and a closet through this door. Feel free to make yourself at home.” James proceeded to show Alexandra the other five bedrooms on the top floor, including his and Remus’, before heading down the stairs. –Here’s the kitchen, and- oh! Hello Remus. Is the pie ready?”

–It is. Would you care for a piece, Alexandra?”

–Yes, please.” Remus carefully cut the pie, placing a piece on each of three plates. The trio ate their pie slowly, talking about their plans for the summer and the upcoming school year.

--

Mary jumped onto Lily’s bed. The two girls were in the middle of an ‘argument’ over James. Lily was still insisting he was arrogant, big-headed, and had ugly hair, but her insults were a little toned down compared to usual. There was hope.

–Come on, Lils. Let’s just go spy. Just once.”

–No! He’s still just as arrogant and big-headed as before. I won’t spy on anyone like that.”

–Fine. But have you seen him with his shirt off?”

–Mary!” Lily picked up a nearby pillow and threw it at her friend. –No! And never! I don’t care about Potter and I never will!”

–Lily, Lily, Lily. Don’t be so hard on James. He isn’t as awful as you think. Give him a chance. He might turn out to be a nice guy with too much of a sense of humor. You never know.” Mary looked at Lily with a I know better than you so listen to me expression on her face. After about two seconds, Lily burst out laughing.

–Nice? Please tell me you didn’t use that word in the same sentence as James unless you were being sarcastic. There is no way. He is conceited and arrogant and will never change.” Lily stood up and walked into the bathroom. Mary rolled her eyes and followed Lily.

–Fine. He’s conceited and arrogant. But he might change, you never know. Come on, let’s give it a shot. Tomorrow?” Mary looked at Lily pleadingly. –Please, Lils?”

–Maybe just once. But not for James. For you.” With that, Mary smiled and walked out of the room and off to bed.

--

Alex tapped the counter absentmindedly. His house has got to be the biggest one in Godric’s Hollow. And he is cute, too. Not nearly as cute as Josh, but definitely dateworthy. With a start, Alex realized the other boy had said something to her. What was his name? Remus. Right. He is nowhere near as cute as James. But he will do.

–Sorry, what was that?” Alex looked at Remus.

–Are you coming swimming with us tomorrow?”

–Sure.” As long as I can see James shirtless. In her head, Alex was smirking.