Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Awry by Liet Dumbledore, Kaitlyn Snape

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here it is, chapter 5! Sorry for the long wait. There was school, and then summer where we were both gone, and then school again, but we are finally done!
Alex jumped into the pool. The cool water felt good after spending some good time tanning in the sun. James and Remus were on the other end of the pool, doing who knows what. It looked like they were playing some sort of game, but she hadn’t the faintest idea what it could be.

--

Lily looked around the kitchen. Come on, Mary , she thought. Mary was taking forever, and Lily was ready to go swimming. Finally the brunette came into the kitchen, two beach towels in hand. Lily grabbed one and, slipping her feet into her flip-flops, started out the door. Mary followed. The two girls laughed as they talked and walked towards the neighborhood swimming pool. Mary seemed a bit nervous, and Lily was starting to wonder why by the time they reached the pool. As they arrived, Mary handed Lily her things.

–I, uh, have to go to the bathroom. I’ll be there in a second.” Mary headed towards the bathrooms, leaving Lily standing by the gate alone. Lily shrugged and opened the door. Carefully, she walked to a pair of lawn chairs and set her things down. After slipping off her flip-flops, Lily jumped into the pool and began swimming lazily. I love this... just relaxing. I never do this anymore. Lily began floating on her back, thinking about the last time she had actually been relaxed before she came to Mary’s. I think the last time was Hogsmeade, which was three months before the end of the year because I was so busy with homework. I never really get a break. Slightly disturbed with the idea of her lack of relaxation in the future, she vowed to take it easier this year. I will go to Hogsmeade every chance I get. Unless I am too busy, or have too much homework, or if I need to do something with Prefect duty. With an irritated sigh, she accepted the fact that she was going to have to let Mary tell her when to take a break, and actually listen.

--

–Remus, bet you can’t catch this!”James grabbed one of the toy balls and threw it at Remus. Remus jumped up, barely catching it. Then he threw it back at James, harder. Back and forth, back and forth. Remus reached up again, and the ball barely flew over his fingertips. Remus immediately turned and dove into the pool. While swimming, he noticed another figure underwater. Remus surfaced and looked closer. Alex was by James, talking to him. And the figure had red hair. Bright red hair. Crap, Remus thought. Lily was here, and James would completely blow it.

–Time to go, Prongs!” Remus quickly closed the distance between himself and his best friend.

–We just got here! It’s not fair! Remus!” whined James, sounding very much like a three year old.

–What if we come back later today? But I think I forgot to finish my, um, treacle tart,” lied Remus, knowing how much James loved desserts.

–All right, fine, Moony,” James consented. –We can go, but only if we come back later.” Remus breathed deeply, thankful that James had agreed to leave. Now we just have to get out of here without Lily seeing us or James seeing Lily.

--

–I’m back, Lily!” Mary stepped out of the bathroom and joined Lily in the water. Thankfully, James and Remus had left, as had Alexandra, but Lily looked upset about something. –What’s up?”

–I can’t keep doing this,” Lily admitted.

–Doing what?” Has she finally come to terms with the fact that she is desperately in love with James Potter? Mary smiled devilishly at the thought.

–Being so stressed all the time. I never do anything for fun anymore. I have been more relaxed at your house than I have been for the past four months. I am always doing a project, or helping someone with something I don’t actually care about, or just thinking about James Potter.” Did I just admit that I think about him all the time? What? No, I don’t. He just worries me. Not that I’m worried about him. I just worried about what he will do. To me, that is. Something bad. Like copy off my essay. Or distract me during Potions. Not that he can do that during summer. So why do I always think about him? –I don’t!”

–Okay Lily, we don’t have to make cookies then. What do you want to do instead?” Mary looked at her, confused at her outburst.

–Lay here for five billion years.”

The two best friends splashed around until lunch time, when they climbed out, dried off, and went home.

--

James was sitting on his bed with Remus. The two were in a very deep conversation, and Alex couldn’t tell what they were talking about. She was crouched on the stairs peeking at them, wishing they would talk louder and stop whispering. Alex crept closer, trying to catch what they were talking about. She was pretty sure they were talking about her, and she really wanted to know what they were saying.

--

–James, I think she’s a nice girl. I mean, what has she done?”

–I don’t know, Remus. I just don’t have a good feeling about this. Something just seems off. Like, really off.”

–Come on, what could possibly go wrong? All you’re going to do is spend summer and a few months of the school year with her. Then you can have a mildly dramatic break-up, be completely heart-broken for a week, and then get together with Lily. Then you and Lily can have your happily ever after for time and all eternity and Padfoot and Wormtail and I will sit on the sidelines and mournfully watch as you become her slave.”

–Moony! That’s not going to happen, and you know it.”

– I know! Just teasing, gosh. Don’t be such a girl.”

–All right, fine.” The two boys began having a much louder conversation about the new broomsticks and which Quidditch team had the best chance this year. It was going to be a great summer.

--

Alex had moved to her bedroom, which was way too far from the boys’ rooms, in her opinion. She was sitting on her bed.

I suppose summer won’t be too bad, she thought. Maybe I can even go back to Hogwarts in the fall with a new boyfriend, and a seventh year at that!

Alex got up from her bed and picked up her new book, taking it downstairs with her. Mrs. Potter was in the kitchen, baking a pie, and James and Remus had moved to the living room. She walked into the living room and said hello before curling up in an armchair with her book. Maybe James likes sophisticated girls who enjoy reading. Then she began reading and was instantly lost in an imaginary world.

--

Mary and Lily were outside in the backyard, staring up at the stars. All Mary could think about was how romantic it would be if Remus was there, next to her. Their hands would slowly slip together, and then he would brush her hair out of her eyes and softly kiss her forehead.

On the other hand, all Lily could think about was how wonderful this summer would be. Maybe if James was next door to her, he wouldn’t be acting like such an arrogant boy. Maybe he would come back to Hogwarts no longer acting like a child. And maybe, just maybe, she would say yes when he asked her to Hogsmeade.

Mary turned and looked at her best friend. Lily was smiling slightly. –Who are you thinking about?” Mary immediately asked.

–What?” Lily startled. –Oh, uh, no one. I was just thinking about how much fun today was.” Lily turned back to the sky.

–Really? Because that grin was definitely worthy of Monsieur James.” Mary smirked. Lily just lay there, staring at the sky. I wish it was lighter, but only because Lily is probably blushing right now.

--

James was laying on his bed, staring up at the stars enchanted on his ceiling. It was a difficult charm, similar to the one at Hogwarts. As he pondered the various constellations, he started thinking about Lily. As he did, James realized something. Alex wasn’t very different from Lily. They were both pretty girls, although Lily was prettier, and they were both nice. The only thing was Alex was here, at his house, spending time with him, and Lily wasn’t. She was somewhere else in the world, not with him, and hating him. Maybe Alex isn’t so bad after all, James thought. Maybe being with her for a while won’t be as bad as I thought.
Chapter Endnotes: ~~~~

Please let us know what you think!! It really motivates us to work on the next chapter ;)