Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Breathe by iLuna17

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Soraya (xxbabewithbrains) = an amazing beta.
H.P > me.



I didn’t go to the pub for a while. The hospital bills were piling up, and my salary was barely cutting it. It wouldn’t be enough soon, so I got another job. It was, ironically enough, at a pub, (in Diagon Alley). I didn’t see Lily for a while, because between my normal work and the pub I had an hour, which I spent with Mum, and after the pub closed, I had five hours before I had to go back to the Ministry. So I really should have expected her to show up at my flat sooner or later. When she did, thankfully, I had got the night off because I swapped shifts with someone else.

–Scorpius Malfoy, I know you’re there. So you’d better get your arse over here,” she said peevishly, pounding on my door. I stumbled over to the door, having fallen asleep doing paperwork on the sofa.

–Wotcher. There might be people in China who didn’t hear you,” I told her as I opened the door.

–Thank Merlin you’re alive!” Lily exclaimed as she ambushed me with a hug. I was then thoroughly confused.

–Well, that was a mood change,” I muttered as I let her in. I didn’t bother asking if she wanted tea; I just put a kettle on. It was us. Meanwhile, Lily was cleaning the beer bottles off the small table in the living area that had accumulated over the past few weeks. Most were still half-full.

–This is disgusting, Scorpius. The children I teach are neater than you,” she told me, crinkling her nose. By the time she had declared the living area bearable, the water had boiled. I sat down next to her, handing her a mug.

–Honestly, is it that hard to clean up a bit?” she asked me. I sighed.

–Yes, considering I spend a grand total of five hours here. Four of those hours are spent sleeping, mind you,” I told her, and Lily gave me a look of concern.

–What are you doing?” she asked, and I know she saw the circles under my eyes.

–Got another job,” I replied simply, taking a sip of tea. Lily giggled.

–You sound like you’re forty. You’re twenty-six, Scorpius,” she replied, rolling her eyes. –You need to get out more.” I just looked at her. She shrugged, not backing down.

–Anyway, if you aren’t here to tell me I need a social life, why are you here?” I asked, cutting to the chase.

–Well, for the social bit, it’s nothing a date couldn’t fix. I know-” Lily started helpfully. She really didn’t get sarcasm.

–You also know I’m gay,” I told her, cutting her off. That narrowed down dating possibilities considerably. Lily had worked it out the same time I had worked out about her relationship with Louis.

–I know. I do know someone who’s out, though …” Lily offered, but I just sent her a look. –Moving on,” she said, knowing she had lost. –I have a new idea. Maybe Al’s doing something completely opposite of what we’d expect. Maybe he’s doing something really manual, like being a janitor or a construction wizard or something. He could easily use another name, and then no one would ever be able to track him. Merlin knows dad’s tried,” Lily told me. I really wasn’t listening; I just wanted to sleep. (Well, that and her theory was shockingly accurate).

–You might be onto something, Lily,” I told her, before frowning. The Albus I knew before wasn’t exactly the brawniest bloke. –But could you really see Al doing something really physically demanding?” I asked, trying to lead her astray.

–He may not work with Hippogriffs or dragons like you, but I know Al. He could adapt, if he was really that determined not to be found,” Lily reasoned. She just hit it right on the head. Smart, smart girl. I had to get her to leave before she became convinced with the idea. I owed it to Albus. Even though simply talking about him hurt physically.

–Look, Lily,” I said. –I’m not trying to be rude, but I’m-”

–Dead on your feet? Well beyond tired?” she asked with false innocence, still smiling the smile she always wore. Lily hugged me before standing up. –Quit the pub job, Scorpius,” she whispered before leaving. Too tired to think more about Albus, I collapsed onto the sofa again and crashed, even though there was a perfectly adequate bed in my room.

When I woke again, it was because there was another person rapping at my door. Sighing, I walked over to the door before glancing at the clock. It was three in the morning. Lily would pay for this …

–Lily, I swear to Merlin,” I started as I opened the door, but found it wasn’t Lily. It was her brother.

Well … shit.

–Expecting someone else, beautiful?” Albus slurred, and his breath reeked of alcohol. Sweet Merlin, Albus was drunk. Plastered, in fact.

–Really, Al?” I groaned as he staggered in. Al never got this drunk, but the one time he did, it had to be the time I actually planned to sleep?

–You still living here?” he asked, before knocking over my stack of bills. Good one, Albus. –Damn, it’s been a while.”

–You’re drunk,” I told him, laughing slightly. Calm, calculative Albus completely and utterly pissed. Was he still a genius when he was like this?

–Nah. Shit, I remember that picture,” Al slurred, picking up a picture of him and me and Hogwarts. It had been taken right after O.W.L.s, and Albus was going over every mistake he thought he made. I, however, had decided that I was done, and shoved him into the lake. Somehow, it turned into a water fight that involved almost our entire year. Lily had taken the picture after Al and I had climbed out of the lake, sopping wet. Our arms were slung around each other, and we occasionally pushed each other a bit. –We had some good times at Hogwarts.” Albus then proceeded to sing Hogwarts’ song. Until he started sobbing halfway through, it was hilarious. But I knew something was wrong, so I sat him down on the couch and put another kettle on. I sat next to him, deciding to figure out what was wrong while the water was boiling.

–All right, mate. What’s wrong?” I asked, sighing. I had accepted the fact I wasn’t going to get any sleep.

–I believe the better question would be what isn’t wrong,” he muttered. –My job is shit, my flat is smaller than my old bedroom, my life is shit, I’m hiding from my family because I’m too much of a coward to face them, you hate me, Jack hates me, and I’m completely plastered right now.”

–I don’t hate you,” I replied softly. No matter what, I didn’t hate him. I couldn’t. No matter how much I wanted to.

–You could’ve fooled me. You stormed out of the pub and haven’t come back in almost a month. You look like hell, by the way,” Albus replied, still horribly slurred. But even when he was completely drunk, and quite more relaxed than normal (I kind of liked drunk Albus), he was still quite observant.

–I have two jobs now, Al. I just haven’t had time,” I lied. If I really wanted to, I could have found time. –But what’s wrong with Jack?” I asked. Had they broken up?

–He dumped me,” Al replied simply, just as the kettle went off. Despite myself, I felt my heart leap. I went to go get the tea, but when I came back, Al was passed out. Rolling my eyes, I found a spare blanket and chucked it at him. Albus grunted, put the blanket on, and passed out again. I then trekked into my bedroom and fell asleep.






Thank Merlin that the next time I woke up, it was morning. Al was still sleeping when I made my way into the tiny kitchen, so I made myself a cup of tea quietly. Realizing it was Saturday, I sorted through the cupboards, making a shopping list. I accidentally slammed a cupboard and heard Al swear.

–So … loud,” he whimpered. I chuckled; a drunken Al was amusing, but a hungover Al was going to be fun. Hungover Al gave me many opportunities to mess with him.

–Tea?” I asked innocently, and Al groaned something that sounded like a yes, so I gave him a mug. Suddenly, an idea came to me. I had to sound casual about it, though. None of my feelings could get in the way.

–You could just stay here, you know. No one ever comes round, and your room is still here,” I offered. Albus didn’t respond, so I just finished writing the list. –Well, I’m off to the market,” I told him.

–Scorpius, wait,” Al said, just as I put on my coat to leave. –First, you’re still in your suit that I’m assuming you wore yesterday, minus the tie, and second, we need to talk.” I simply raised an eyebrow, but I took my suit jacket off.

–Okay. What do you want to talk about?” I asked, and Al sighed.

–I know,” he said simply, as if everyone else knew his train of thought. This was normal for him, though. I was still scared, though. He knew how I felt?

–Know what?” I asked, trying to keep the worry out of my voice.

–That you’re … that you’re like me,” he started to elaborate. Now I was scared.

–Elaborate, please,” I prompted, as Al didn’t look like he was going to continue.

–I know you’re angry,” he started. Seriously? That was what he thought? Ah, Al was always was helpless with humans. He knew thoughts, but not emotions. –I can see it. You’re angry at your dad, at the Ministry, for your mum, and at me.” Well, now I was. Was he really that thick? Couldn’t he see what I felt? It wasn’t hidden that well.

–No shit, Sherlock. I’m thrilled with my dad, really,” I retorted. Al just raised his eyebrow at me. –How are you angry, anyway? You seemed happier than I’ve ever seen you lately.” Albus laughed bitterly.

–I work for a landscaping company, I-” Al started, but I interrupted what was probably going to be the same speech from last night.

–Not trying to be rude, but I heard this all last night,” I told him. Except I didn’t know one thing. –Why did you break up with Jack?”

Al swore. –He wanted to meet my parents. I’d met his, and we got into a fight. Eventually, he said he couldn’t see me if I wouldn’t out myself to my parents. He only knew that my name was Albus, not my … situation,” Albus explained, looking into his mug. I hadn’t even completely known Al was gay until he introduced me to Jack, so I guessed his parents had no clue. Sure, he hadn’t had many girlfriends, but nothing really gave it away. Plus, Jack was a Muggle, so there was no chance he had met Albus’s parents.

–I’m sorry, Albus. I never liked Jack,” I told him. Al laughed.

–Believe me, I know. Anyway, enough about me. What about you? I knew you’re struggling, and I wanted to know if that was why you asked me to stay here,” Albus told me bluntly. I immediately looked at the stack of bills Albus had knocked over last night. They were perfectly in order. He went through my stuff?

But was that what he thought? That I’d ask him to move back in just to split the rent? Merlin, he really was oblivious.

–Is that really what you think?” I asked him, hurt that he thought I would stoop that low.

–Well … you’ve been really nice, which I know from experience you are not in the mornings, and you were angry at me the last time I spoke to you. Well, the last time I remember speaking to you,” Al told me, still acting as this was some Arithmancy problem or something.

–No! I’m angry at you now, but not because of the same reason! You actually think I’d stoop that low?” I yelled.

–Then why did you? That’s the only logical reason, and we haven’t spoken in weeks,” he said calmly back.

–Because …” I paused, taking back the words that were on the tip of my tongue. –Because I’m your friend? Because you came to me completely wasted last night?” I shot back, but Albus shook his head.

–That doesn’t fit, either,” he muttered. –Not strong enough for the emotion to amount to this …”

–It was a casual suggestion! I didn’t know you would jump to conclusions!” I roared. Part of it was a lie, I knew, but he couldn’t know that.

–Now you’re angry about something else. It’s not just this argument. You’ve been acting odd lately. It’s not just rage,” Al noted. Still talking about this like we were an experiment and he was interpreting the data.

–Really? It’s not like my best mate reappeared after disappearing for two years. And it’s not like I don’t have my own issues. It’s not like my mum’s dying or anything,” I retorted, my hands clenched with rage. He didn’t know a damn thing.

‘I know, so why would you do something like this for me?” he asked, and before I could stop them, the words I hadn’t wanted to say came out of my mouth.

–BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!” I bellowed, before grabbing my coat and the grocery list. –It was obvious!” But when I tried to leave, Albus stood in front of me, looking relieved.

–That’s the answer I was looking for,” he whispered. He had played me! I wanted to yell at him for saying all of that just make me say it, but I was distracted by Albus’s lips crashing onto mine.

I could taste the alcohol still lingering on his breath mixed with tea, and I could feel the heat as his toned body leaned into mine. It was nothing like I’d ever felt before. It was fireworks.

It was everything I’d dreamed of.