Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dragons on the Water by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter One

Charlie Weasley sat on a large flat rock, overlooking the hidden lake that sustained their compound deep in the Romanian mountains. It was a perfectly clear spring day and the water reflected the sun in a rainbow of light that danced on the unbroken surface. He had always loved the rock by the lake, from the day he had arrived as a new, untested keeper. It had been his quiet retreat from the stresses of dragon work, but also a place for him to simply sit down and marvel at the beauty that surrounded him.

Today he ate lunch while he watched one of the dragons cavort in the water before him. It was the new dragon, a Chinese Fireball from the reserve in Sweden. To say it was unusual for a dragon to take to water was an understatement. They had all been shocked when the beast began not only exploring the lake, but diving in and even floating about.

While he understood perfectly well why it was unusual for a dragon to swim, Charlie couldn't help but think that the dragon enjoying the water before him had it right. He treasured the lake and often went swimming, either alone or with the few other keepers who braved the chill water. He had always loved it, always enjoyed being outdoors and a part of nature. It was a big part of what had drawn him to dragon work: the opportunity to be outside instead of cooped up indoors, as well as the challenge of working with the most powerful and mesmerizing of magical creatures.

Not to mention the thrill of danger, of course.

The Fireball had been with them for a month, but they still struggled. He was a glorious brute of a beast, much bigger than the one he had taken to Hogwarts five months earlier, and Charlie desperately wanted to be the one to tame him. He had considered joining the animal in the water as a way to try to earn its trust, but he knew his safety would be too severely compromised off land and without a wand. But the red, as it was simply called, had not let anyone near him, and they had finally called in a keeper from Wales who had more experience with Fireballs.

Charlie shook his head as he watched the dragon, disappointed to be robbed of the chance to work more closely with the red. And yet, three of his coworkers had already been seriously injured, and it made sense to bring in outside help. He just hoped the new keeper wasn't a total prick about it. They had their routine at the reserve in Romania, and Charlie was content. He did not wish to see it disturbed by some cocky git from Wales.

"Hey, Weasley," called a voice behind him. "The new guy is here. Davenport says he's yours for the rounds."

"Thanks, Grant," Charlie said with a silent sigh. By rounds, it was expected that Charlie be the one to introduce the new keeper to the reserve: to the other keepers, the dragons, the routine. He had done the same for other new arrivals and usually didn't mind, especially if they were young and pretty, but this time he did not feel like being the one to break in the new keeper. He had no interest whatsoever in playing tour guide for some so-called expert who was only there because the rest of them couldn't handle a new dragon; even worse that they were to be partners and work together with the Fireball, because Charlie was the only one left with any sort of experience with them.

Charlie stood and turned on his rock. Behind him stood a young man about his own age, which was surprising: he had been expecting someone with experience, which in his mind meant someone much older. This man did not look experienced at all, until Charlie spotted a long scar down his neck and a few old burn marks on his arms. He was short but slim, much more agile looking than expected for a dragon keeper. His dark blond hair was cropped exceedingly short, unlike Charlie's long hair, which he always tied back with a bit of leather. The newcomer had sharp blue eyes that were already gazing across the lake at the dragon, and he was frowning. He looked familiar, but Charlie couldn't quite place him.

"I've never seen one swim before," the other man said by way of introduction.

Charlie bristled for some reason: it seemed an ignorant observation from someone who was supposed to be an expert on dragons. "Ridgebacks dive for prey all the time," he replied, trying to keep his voice even.

"They don't play," the other man retorted, raising an eyebrow at Charlie defiantly as he gestured at the dragon clearly enjoying itself on the lake. "Fire and water don't mix well, you know."

Charlie snorted. He knew that perfectly well, which was one reason he found it so fascinating to watch the Fireball from his rock. "If you look carefully, you'll see that he's carefully avoiding getting the flame sacs wet."

The other man shook his head. The way he watched the dragons also seemed familiar, as if he were looking for something with singular concentration. Charlie thought maybe they had gone to school together, but he still couldn't place him, especially without knowing the man's name. "It's still awfully cold for a Fireball," the newcomer finally replied, watching raptly. Again, the man was stating the obvious: it was why they had sent the Hogwarts Fireball down to Africa, the cold Romanian winters almost killing the poor beast.

"Seen many Fireballs, have you?" Charlie asked as the man continued to stare out at the water. He was liking this man less and less: the newcomer immediately came across as cocky and arrogant, and Charlie almost dreaded having to work him. He already seemed far too self-centered for Charlie's tastes in a working partner.

"Actually, yes," the man replied with a shrug. "I spent six months in China with them. They're brutal, but beautiful. And they like warm sunny places, not cold mountain lakes. This is the one from Sweden?"

Charlie nodded begrudgingly. So the guy had been to China, big deal. That didn't mean he knew anything about dragons in Romania. "Yes, they found him wandering around the fjords half-dead. They nursed him back as well as they could, but he was just too aggressive for them."

"Yes, they can be vicious bastards when they're cold and frightened. Has he been violent down here as well?"

"He's not bad for me, but he's injured three other keepers since he arrived, so we thought we'd bring in the big wands." Charlie let his voice drip sarcasm, but to his surprise the other man grinned and finally stuck out his hand.

"That's me, then," he said with a wink that once again surprised Charlie. The man's whole demeanor changed: he suddenly seemed friendly and relaxed, and Charlie reluctantly took his hand as the man introduced himself.

"I'm Terrence Higgs," he said. "Just arrived from the Llwytmor reserve in Wales."

"Charlie Weasley," Charlie grunted.

"Figured you were," Terrence said. "Since the bloke who brought me out here said, 'You'll be working with Weasley. Good luck with that.'"

Charlie frowned. "Grant said that about me? Really?"

"No," replied Terrence, the hint of a smile pulling at his lips. "That was just my first impression of you."

"Better than mine then," Charlie retorted. He was slightly confused by the change: maybe Higgs wasn't an arrogant prat after all. He certainly had a straightforward sense of humor.

"Good," Terrence said. "I try to come off as an arsehole for first impressions. Keeps people on their toes."

"You nailed it then," Charlie admitted. "Although I was thinking more cocky git."

"Oh, I can do cocky git." Terrence laughed. "It just depends who I'm meeting for the first time. I try to save that one for Ravenclaws and arsehole for Gryffindors, especially former Qudditch captains."

Charlie couldn't help it: he burst out laughing. "I remember you now. You played on the Slytherin Quidditch team at Hogwarts."

"I did. I was a Seeker, too--and you beat me every time." Terrence turned back to him, a friendly but guarded smile on his face. "I'm surprised you're not playing professionally, actually."

"I wasn't interested," Charlie replied with a shrug. "I like this much better."

Terrence nodded, blue eyes gazing back out at the lake. "Same with me. I tried banking, but it wasn't my thing. This is what I'm supposed to do--not sit behind some desk counting Galleons."

"So how long have you been working with dragons?" asked Charlie. He motioned Terrence away from the lake and began to lead him back up the short path to the reserve cabins so that he could show the man around and get him settled before heading out for the real introductions: the dragons, especially the red.

"Including the six months in China, almost three years." He glanced sideways at Charlie. "So I may not be the most experienced dragonologist around, but I do know Fireballs. I can break him."

Charlie nodded approvingly; perhaps Higgs' arrogance was simply confidence. Charlie had been in Romania studying dragons for four years, so he didn't have much up on Terrence, and specialized experience on another continent was sure to have given Higgs some insight into the unique Fireballs. Charlie was still slightly confused by their initial exchange: was Higgs actually a cocky git or was this friendly air the real act? He had hardly known the Slytherin at Hogwarts, so he wasn't sure, but he'd find out soon enough whether Terrence Higgs could handle his new assignment.

* * *

The dragon stood still, gazing at Higgs with deep yellow eyes unreadable to anyone except a trained dragon keeper. Charlie knew, though, that the Hungarian Horntail--the very same one Harry had faced in the Tri-Wizard Tournament--now trusted Higgs completely and would let him do just about anything short of hop on his back for a ride. Higgs was good.

In two weeks he had earned the trust of half the dragons on the reserve. They were still struggling with the Fireball, and there was the one Welsh Green who would have nothing to do with him, but he had certainly proved his talent in a short span of time. Higgs was a born dragon keeper and certainly not a banker. Charlie wasn't sure whether to be impressed or annoyed. To be honest, there was still something about the man that rubbed him the wrong way half the time.

He still came across as arrogant at times, though Charlie was apparently the only one who thought so as the rest of the keepers at the reserve had no problems getting along with him or praising his work so far. Overconfidence then--something only a partner might see in his work. And yet, Higgs hadn't failed once, so he likely had a right to it.

Maybe it was just the fact of having a partner again that bothered him. Charlie liked working alone. He liked the thrill of it, the risk of it, and the feeling of success that he didn't have to share with anyone but himself. And when it came down to it, he didn't like change. Never mind that the last keeper he had worked closely with had been injured so badly he'd been sent back to England and never seen again; that had been over a year ago, and now Charlie simply wanted to work with his dragons, just as he had done and been doing, alone.

Unfortunately, Higgs had come in and ruined that. He was good--and even worse, they worked well together, even if Charlie hated admitting it. He had seen several new keepers come in and blunder around their first few weeks, but Higgs knew what he was doing, and was mindful of doing it right. When he and Charlie were together with the dragons, they worked as a solid team, almost reading one another's minds. Charlie just didn't want to be part of a team.

"Check off another," he murmured as Higgs let the Horntail fly off back to its mountain perch. "I have to admit, you do know what you're doing."

Higgs gave him that not-quite-open smile he had been giving him since the first day. "I'm glad I could surprise you. Who's next on the list then?"

Charlie cocked an eyebrow. "I'd suggest Branwen again, but she can't stand you."

Higgs frowned. "I don't understand why, really. I didn't have any problems with the Greens at Llwytmor."

"You're a cocky git, that's why," Charlie offered, half jokingly. "And she knows it."

"You got over it," Higgs tossed back.

"I'm just pretending to like you," Charlie replied as nonchalantly as he could. He felt slightly uncomfortable because in some ways it was true. Yet he couldn't figure out a single thing that should keep him from getting along better with his partner, and he felt guilty for it.

"Don't try too hard," Terrence said. "I'd like to keep my reputation."

"And I'd like to keep mine, so I won't." They both laughed, a rare moment of levity when most of their interaction was a bit more awkward and standoffish.

"How about we try her after lunch?" Charlie asked "We can see if she's warmed up to you yet."

Terrence was gazing in the direction the Horntail had flown. "What about a quick ride up to the mountain first? You said you'd take me up there," he said, giving Charlie a very pointed look. "And you know I can fly."

Charlie pursued his lips. He had put off taking Higgs up to the mountain crags where the dragons slept since he had asked the second day in. And again--he had no reason. He was well aware Higgs could fly: the former Seeker had flown circles around just about all of them at a make-shift Quidditch match several days earlier, bringing back memories of the pitch at Hogwarts. Charlie knew he might as well get it over with and take the man up there. He sighed in resignation.

"Come on then, let's get our brooms. I'll meet you on the rock in ten." He left without another word, but felt Higgs' eyes on his back. He was frequently abrupt with him, he knew, he just couldn't seem to help it. He tried not to think about it as he hurried back to his cabin and grabbed his broom and a quick drink. Instead, he focused on the flight itself: it was one of his favorite things to do as a keeper, and he would enjoy it even if he didn't enjoy the company.

Heading back outside, Charlie glanced around and saw Higgs down by the lake waiting for him, his attention held rapt by something on the water.

"Will you look at that?" he breathed, gesturing at the lake. The Chinese Fireball was swimming, just as he did everyday, but he was not alone: he was with Branwen, the tempestuous Welsh Green who tended to stay by herself. They floated in the water side-by-side, occasionally nipping at one another or even splashing with their long tails.

"I'll be damned," Charlie murmured. "She's never gone near the lake, not even to drink."

"And she doesn't get along with the other dragons much, does she?" Terrence asked. "I mean, I'm not the only one she hates. She avoids just about everyone and everything."

"Except the Fireball, it seems." Charlie gazed at the dragons in wonder, two creatures who suffered no one actually enjoying one another's company. He knew he was witnessing something rare and special: an interspecies friendship, if not more. What he didn't understand was how it was possible, when they were both such prickly beasts.

"Let's go up to the mountains another time," Terrence said softly, as if he did not want to disturb the amazing scene before them.

"Right," said Charlie, barely registering his words. He sat down on the rock, knees to his chest as he watched the creatures before them. Terrence joined him, and they sat there all afternoon, not even talking, just sitting together on the rock and marveling at the dragons on the water.

And for a brief moment, Charlie thought Terrence Higgs might make a good partner after all.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: This story was originally started for the Minor Character Challenge in the Character Clinic on the beta boards. It grew too large for a one-shot, though, so that plan was abandoned. I have had this idea for quite a while, however, so I am glad to have been motivated to put it down.
Many thanks to Lea for consulting, and anyone on my flist who answered dragon questions for me, like Jaime! :)