Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dark Fire by Phoenix Song114

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
We walked into Hogwarts the moment the horseless carriage stopped in front of the school. I was mentally cursing myself for making such a huge promise. How in the name of Merlin was I supposed to not get into a fight or detention for a whole year?

April sighed once we emerged in the Great Hall. It was time to bid goodbyes. She hugged us both before heading to the Ravenclaw table.

Matt turned to me and I didn't like the look of nervousness in his eyes. "You'll be alright, Cell?" He asked.

I knew immediately what he was talking about and nodded slowly. "Relax, Matt. We can do this. Just one year. For Apes."

He nodded and told me goodbye before heading towards the Slytherin table reluctantly. For a second, I wanted to call him back and make him sit with me at my table. I didn't want to be all alone again for the fourth year in a row. Why couldn't he have been a Hufflepuff? Why had that stupid Sorting Hat placed him with my horrid cousins?

I sat down at the Hufflepuff table, miserable, while two second year girls named Charlotte Josephs and Narcissa Willis chatted gaily on my left. I knew everyone in Hufflepuff, seeing as we had the least amount of people. Whereas we had thirty so students, Gryffindor had one hundred and sixty. Slytherin was closer to our total with only eighty people. Ravenclaw was right up by Gryffindor though, with one hundred and twenty. No one wanted Hufflepuff or Slytherin, not even if their sibling was in that House or if the Sorting Hat insisted they belonged there. The Sorting Hat gave in to the person's desire usually and placed only a select few in Hufflepuff.

A boy with shaggy black hair and sapphire blue eyes nudged me. I frowned, trying to remember who he was. Was he a second year? He looked a bit tall...

"Are you Celesta Grey?" He asked me, sounding curious. I hesitated before nodding slowly at him. He smiled a little and said "I've heard about your little fights with the Black twins for a while but I don't believe we've ever met. I'm Jason Sullivan, third year Hufflepuff."

I studied him for a second, and suddenly I remembered him. Yes, he was one of the four people in Hufflepuff that year. The Sorting Hat had instantly placed him here and I had thought that a little odd. He had two brothers here at Hogwarts, one a seventh year Gryffindor and the other a fifth year Gryffindor.

"Er, no offense, Jason, but why would you suddenly choose to talk to me now?" I asked, puzzled by this strange exchange.

"Well, I've been pushed around by Vale Black for a while now and I was sort of hoping since you were his cousin and you are like, the expert at pranking the twins, you could maybe-" I cut him off, realizing now where this was headed. "Uh, no thanks. See, I made a promise to my friend that I wouldn't get into a detention or a fight and I intend to keep that promise for this year." I explained.

Jason grinned. "You never promised anything about pranking people, Celesta."

I would have smiled as well if he hadn't called me by my full name. "First of all, I hate the name Celesta. It makes me want to vomit so call me Cell. Secondly, how in the name of Merlin am I going to think of a prank to do?" I grinned devilishly and Jason laughed. "You're really going to do it?" He asked, eager to see me in action obviously.

I snorted. "Not bloody likely! You are the one who wanted to do it, if I am correct. So you shall do it, Jason." He looked a little nervous for a second but then said "Okay, fine. How am I going to do it?"

Before I could respond, Headmaster Longbottom stood up and said "Quiet please." Everyone went silent in the Great Hall and the professor continued "Welcome back to Hogwarts, my students. It is strange for me to call you all this when so long ago, I was once sitting at a table in this room, a student like you. But my memories aren't what brings me to quiet your conversations tonight. We will now welcome our first years, who shall be Sorted."

Suddenly, the doors to the Great Hall opened and we all turned to see a large group of at least two hundred students walking into the Hall, led by Professor Zabini. I saw more than a couple students look as if they were about to break down in tears from all the attention and some kids were staring at the ground, their ears bright red. I felt a twinge of sympathy for these new students. They were terrified of how we were gazing at them like curious toddlers. I looked away until the group was at the front of the Great Hall.

Professor Zabini sat down at his spot next to Professor Nott and our Headmaster walked to the stool where the Sorting Hat sat, unmoving. Our Headmaster enjoyed placing the Hat on the first years; he had once told us in my first year that it reminded him of his Sorting.

"When I call your name, please, sit on this stool so I can place the Hat upon your head." He read the first name on the list he carried. "Applegate, Sabrina!"

A tall girl with long curly blond hair stepped up to the stool and sat down. The Headmaster placed the Hat upon her head and I held my breath, as did all the other older Hufflepuffs. I knew we were all praying for another Hufflepuff. We needed more students.

"Ravenclaw!" cried the Hat a moment later. I groaned and clapped half-heartedly for the girl.

This torturous ceremony ensued with many Ravenclaws and Gryffindors, as usual. Slytherin had two boys join them but Hufflepuff received none so far. I was not in a good mood when we got to Roberts, Harold. (who became a Gryffindor)

"Sullivan, Victoriana!" I almost snorted at the ridiculous name when I realized her last name. I turned to Jason, who looked nervous. I hissed "How many siblings do you have?"

"Three. Toria is the youngest and Brent is the oldest. Isaac is the middle child along with me." Jason answered, looking at me funny as his sister, a small girl with her long black hair tied back, sat down on the stool.

I watched Jason's sister look scared and nervous as the Hat spoke to her inside her head. I wondered if she would be a Hatstall like me or if she'd be Sorted into Gryffindor soon.

Victoriana frowned and murmured something I couldn't make out. She looked puzzled, as if the Hat was sating something she didn't understand. The Hat suddenly said out loud "I know where to put you now... Better be a... SLYTHERIN!"

Jason looked horrified and I couldn't blame him. I knew how he felt.

The Slytherins cheered and Victoriana just looked delighted that the Sorting was over for her so she sat down at her new House Table. I glared at Vale and Sari when I saw them clap the girl on the back. Matt gave me a baffled look and mouthed "Are you okay?"

"Fine." I mouthed back in reply. I turned away from the celebration, feeling angry. I had wished for a split-second that the Sorting Hat would call out Hufflepuff for once and had gotten my hopes up for nothing.

"I-I don't understand." whispered Jason, still in shock. "Toria isn't a bad person."

"Hey! One of my best mated is in Slytherin." I snapped. He muttered "Sorry... I just don't get it." "None of us do, Jason." I replied. "The Hat is random sometimes, I guess."

We were almost to the end of the Sorting, with only three people to go, when a miracle occurred. Madison Williamson, a scrawny brown-haired girl, was sitting on the stool for two full minutes before the Hat yelled "HUFFLEPUFF!"

Instantly, we all cheered louder than anyone else and most of the students hugged Madison when she sat down. We were ecstatic and so pleased. I had thought we were doomed this year.

And then, the last two kids, Cora Yansley and Patrick Zimmermann were Sorted into Hufflepuff too. Everyone in Hufflepuff was whooping and cheering and I believe George Sanderson, a sixth year boy, was sobbing with happiness. We were practically smothering the poor three kids but none of us cared. We weren't going to have no first years this year!

Finally, we settled down at last and I was grinning from ear-to-ear. Headmaster Longbottom cleared his throat and said "Well, I take it you all are excited for this year. We have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher that I would like to introduce you to. Professor, would you mind standing up please?"

And just like that, all the happiness and relief left my mind. I was horrified at who I saw. I noticed Vale and Sari smirking at me out of the corner of my eyes. Matt looked shocked and April just frowned.

The new DADA professor had dark hair and hazel eyes that were searching the tables for familiar faces. I wanted to hex someone when his eyes focused on yours truly. People began whispering and I tried to ignore this unsuccessfully.

"That's HER relative!"

"Ooh, she looks scared now."

"I've heard he's not very nice. I wonder what he teaches like-?"

Headmaster Longbottom cleared his throat, looking right at me, his eyes clearly saying "I'm sorry." "As I was saying, this is your new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. This is Professor Regulus Black!"

Could my life be any worse?!