Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Tongue-Tied by Maple_and_PheonixFeather

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This was written for SPEW007 2012. The prompt was "babbling"

Have I told you all lately that Ellie/iMusic17 is the best? She's a great beta :)
Words. They can tear someone down, or lift them up. They can start wars and they can end them. Words are so extremely important in conveying what you need to say. So what happens when we lose the ability to speak coherent thoughts? What happens when all you can do is babble?

Scorpius Malfoy had that effect on girls. He was tall, muscular, and had a handsome face. His classmates would approach him, say hi, then break down in a fit of giggles, unsure of what to say next. Scorpius was good about it. He’d politely ask about their classes, and then graciously leave.

When I first met Scorpius, I wasn’t a babbling lovesick girl. Instead, I was horror-struck. Not by him, but by the fact that I had just hit him in the face with a Quaffle with Uncle Ron’s spell. Once he decided not to hex me, I happily challenged him to a bit of Quidditch.

Somehow, he managed not to hate me after that. I became his sort off Quidditch pet project. Sure, I was an excellent Keeper, but I was twelve. He was fourteen, and much better at the sport.

He was Potions partners with Rose, and I was pretty sure that he sort of fancied her. And who wouldn’t? Rose was beautiful, even at fourteen. I think that he felt that by showing interest in Rose’s younger cousin, she’d think that he was a really nice guy. So in actuality, his Quidditch help wasn’t really for my benefit, but for his own. Rose really liked him for helping me out. Unfortunately for him, they never actually went out. Fortunateley for me, I became an even better Quidditch player.

Playing with Scorpius felt like an honour. The most popular boy in fourth year was taking the time to help me out, even though we were on opposing teams. Girls were jealous of me, and I loved the attention. Normally, I hated the attention I got for me being Harry Potter’s daughter, but this attention was different, it was all by my own merit.

When Slytherin lost the Quidditch Cup to Gryffindor, I was sure that Scorpius would hate me. Instead, he shook my hand and said that he was glad that I had actually learned something. Mind you, Rose was close by, talking to James.

The next year, Rose began to date Sean McLaggen. I’d figured that it meant that our practise sessions were done. Once the Gryffindor team was back to practising in mid-September of my third year, I was returning to the pitch to fly around and practise when time allowed me (I had finally managed to perfect the Quaffle spell).

To my great delight, on my first day back on the pitch, I found Scorpius flying around the pitch at breakneck speeds. I hadn’t talked to Scorpius that year – the only time we had ever interacted was on the pitch. Even when we passed each other in the hallways, we didn’t talk. It was like an unspoken agreement that our relationship existed only on the pitch.

Judging from the way Scorpius was flying, he was angry about something. By this point, I had learned enough that I knew not disturb him when he was mad. Instead, I just bewitched by Quaffle and flew to the other end of the pitch.

After about half an hour, Scorpius finally came over. –I see you finally managed that spell without having the Quaffle hit me in the face.”

I smirked. –I need to practice somehow, don’t I?” On the outside, I was cool and collected, but I was really hoping that he would offer to play with me again.

–Does that mean you don’t need me anymore?” he asked.

I blushed. –Well...I just figured...with the whole Rose thing...”

–That I wouldn’t play with you anymore?” Scorpius actually looked a little sad that I would think something like that.

I nodded.

–We can still play together, as always. Besides, you’re almost as good as me now, so maybe I’ll get something out of it now.”

And so we played like this for the next two years. I was like the younger next door neighbour he had never had. We never planned our meetings – if we ran into each other when out there, we played, but outside of that, we never communicated.

Like the girl next door, I took him for granted. I was comfortable around him. I wouldn’t necessarily call us friends, though. We never really talked. We threw Quaffles at each other. And like the girl next door, I soon realised that the boy was a boy and that he was very handsome. Crushes like the one I had don’t just come due to a random sighting. They take time, and you are halfway in love before you realize you had even started. That’s how it was for me. I didn’t realize what I felt for Scorpius until it smacked me in the face.

In my fifth year, I attended an OWLs preparation group. This group was started six years ago, by my cousin Dominique. After she completed her OWLs, she realised that she would have been a lot less stressed if she had had some sort of support group.

Scorpius was volunteering with this group. The group traditionally started in the second week of term, which was before the Quidditch season started.

We all gathered in the Great Hall the night of the first meeting. On the first night, typically people just introduced themselves and the older students give us a bit of a rundown as to what was to be expected that year.

I, having two older brothers and countless older cousins, already knew what to expect, but I was curious to see who the volunteers were.

I let my mind wander as the people I already knew introduced themselves: Rose, Albus, Sean, and Lucy. I was beginning to regret coming, as I already knew everyone.

Finally, the last volunteer stepped forward. I immediately recognized him as Scorpius.

What I didn’t recognise was the flutter I felt in my tummy. It was as if I was actually seeing Scorpius for the first time. I mean, I had always known what he looked like, but it was as if I were finally seeing how attractive he was. I had always enjoyed spending time with him on the pitch, but now I actually wanted to spend time with him outside of Quidditch.

Luckily, these feelings didn’t affect our random Quidditch rendezvous at all, probably because we never talked. The group, however, was a whole different story.

I had never had a problem with talking to boys. Until then, I had never found myself tongue-tied around a boy. To me, boys were friends, and it was impractical to make it any different. Now, however, every time I looked at Scorpius, I felt an overwhelming need to say something, but I never knew what to say.

At our second meeting, each of the students wrote down what OWLs we were interested in getting and were put into groups accordingly. We were then assigned a volunteer based on our interests.

I was interested in taking Charms, Transfiguration, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, Ancient Runes, and History of Magic: the courses Uncle Bill recommended to be a curse-breaker. After being assigned into my group, I discovered that Scorpius would be our leader. On the one hand, I was ecstatic. Having him as a leader would mean I got to spend more time with him. On the other hand, I could feel butterflies in my stomach that were caused by nerves and anticipation.

–Okay, so all of you have shown interest in continuing in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Transfiguration, Potions, And Herbology. All of the courses, in short, that are good for high risk jobs. Today, I want you all to split into groups so I can do a small diagnostic of what areas we will need to focus on in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, and Charms.”

We divided into groups. I paired with Hugo, who wanted to be a Healer.

–Okay, let’s start simple. I want you to take turns making your partners quill fly.”

Scorpius began walking up the pairs. I knew he wouldn’t make, it to us for a few minutes. So I went first. –Wingardium Leviosa!” Hugo’s quill rose into the air.”Excellent job, Lily,” Scorpius said. He had made it over to us. I blushed and looked down. He had complimented me! He thought I had down some good magic. I was both nervous and happy.

–Thanks,” I muttered.

Hugo gave me a funny look. I never muttered.

Scorpius, however, didn’t seem to notice.

–Okay, Hugo, your turn.” Hugo made his quill fly with no effort. My hands had been shaking so much that I was having a hard time rooting through my bag and finding my quill, so Hugo just used his. I wasn’t sure why I seemed to have lost fine motor control. I had excellent control of my hands, but they just seemed to turn to jelly around Scorpius.

We did a few more basic spells. Scorpius must have noticed my shaking hands, because he hadn’t returned to us since.

–Okay, I think we have time for one more,” Scorpius announced. –I’d like each of you to attempt disarming your partner.”

I smiled. I had been disarming people since my first year. My dad insisted I learn it as soon as I got a wand. He said it was one of the most useful spells to know. I hadn’t counted on Scorpius being behind Hugo when I did the spell.

–Expelliarmus,”I said, mispronouncing the last syllable. Instead of disarming Hugo, I had managed to set Scorpius’ robes on fire. I was horrified. I hadn’t messed up a disarming spell in years. Also, Scorpius was wearing really nice robes.

Scorpius quickly put out the fire. –Okay, everyone, great job! We’ll see you next week!” I quickly began to pack up my stuff in order to escape, but Scorpius stopped me.

–Lily, you can perform that spell in your sleep, what happened?”

–How....How did you know that?” I asked.

He shrugged. –Albus told me you dad made all of his kids learn it.”

–You’re friends with Albus?” I blurted. I blushed.

–We sat next to each other in Defence Against the Dark Arts,” Scorpius gave me a weird look. –Lily, what’s going on?”

I knew –nothing” wouldn’t suffice, so I began babbling the worst answer ever. –It’s just that I’m really tired and I’m nervous about the first Quidditch game against Ravenclaw, and I’m stressed about my Herbology essay , and...”

Scorpius held up his hand to stop me. –Okay, I get it. Go get a good night’s sleep.” I quickly fled from the room. I had sounded like a complete idiot. Furthermore, I had managed to set Scorpius’ robes on fire. There was no he was going to like me now.

* * *

Mishaps continued to happen whenever Scorpius came near me. I exploded Potions, got bitten by various plants, threw Hugo into a state of giggles, and whacked Scorpius in the face with a pillow during Summoning Spells. He joked and said something about me enjoying hitting him in the face. Last year, I would have made a witty remark, but this time, I blushed and said something that made absolutely no sense, all while mentally kicking myself.

Everyone knew what was going on, but I was hoping with everything I had that Scorpius remained in the dark.

After the last meeting, in which I managed to turn Scorpius‘ hair bright red, Scorpius pulled me aside.

–Look, Lily, I really didn’t want to have to address this, but I really think I need to.”

I looked down,. He knew, and I did not want to have this conversation.

–I think that you need to really think about what you want to do next year, because your work isn’t really up the level it needs to be. I suggest you work hard over the holidays.”

I blushed, and fled from the room. He thought that I was in danger of failing, which, in extension, must have meant that he thought I was stupid. I knew I wasn’t in danger of failing, but I couldn’t think of how to tell him that.

* * *

After Christmas, my work got a lot better. Scorpius must have clued in, or maybe someone told him because he watched me from afar. He would approach after I had completed the task and give me pointers or praise me on my work. I still was unable to speak properly, but at least I could finally concentrate.

At the end of January, after practicing Quidditch with Scorpius, he walked me back to the castle.

–You know, your work has really improved this term.”

–Oh, I must have really worked hard over the holidays,” I babbled. –I got James to help me with a few things, and Rose gave me some pointers and...”

–”Lily,” Scorpius interrupted. –We both know that that’s not why.”

I blushed and looked down at my feet. It’s one thing to want to tell someone how you feel, but it’s another thing entirely to have them figure it out on their own.

–Lily, there’s no need to be embarrassed., I’m actually glad you’re feeling this way.” I looked up at him in surprise. –I’ve been waiting a year for you to like me”

–Wait, what?” I asked.

–Lily, would you like to accompany me on our next Hogsmeade trip?”

My heart soared. In that moment, everything felt right in the world. I looked at him and nodded. Suddenly, I was no longer tongue tied.