Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Stolen Magic by coolh5000

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: As promised, here is another chapter, posted as quickly as I could! The next one is with my beta now as well. Thanks very much for Kara as always for betaing. Any reviews are much appreciated!
It seemed to Adrian that things changed rapidly after the Easter holidays. There were more rules to follow, harsher punishments being enforced and a general feeling in the air that something bad was about to happen. There also seemed to have been a noticeable drop in the number of students at the school. Given that it was now law for everyone to attend, Adrian wondered what had happened to those who had not returned. Were they on the run like his father and Samuel or had they met the same fate as Gemma wherever she was?

He found himself thinking about her more and more often, wondering what she must be going through. Even for someone as strong and confident as Gemma, Azkaban - if that was where she had been taken - would hardly be a picnic. He remembered hearing some of the older students talking in his first year about the Dementors that had been used to guard Hogwarts the year before Adrian’s arrival, when Sirius Black had been on the run. They sounded truly terrifying, even in the safety of Hogwarts where they were kept a good distance away from the students at all times. He couldn’t even imagine what it must be like to be imprisoned with those things near you at all times. How long would they leave her there - long enough just to teach her a lesson and ensure she wouldn’t cause or any more trouble, or long enough to ensure that she simply couldn’t cause any more trouble?

Wary that it had only been a couple of weeks since his own warning from Carrow, Adrian continued to keep his head down. However in some ways, even with the constant fear that he was about to be tortured in detention or arrested in the middle of the night, he felt better in school than he had done before. He was no longer facing every lesson alone, or spending silent evenings in the library working on his homework. He had his friends back and while their group was still greatly diminished, the three of them that remained supported each other.

However, with the tension rising throughout the school, it was only a matter of time before something happened. Every day there were more disappearances, and new rumours of the Carrows’ increasingly harsh punishments were accompanied by students arriving at breakfast with fresh injuries that they were forbidden to visit the Hospital Wing to treat. Stories about what was happening outside of Hogwarts began to seep into the castle. Adrian started to hear more and more about Harry Potter and his friends. Some of the stories sounded far too ridiculous to be true, but there was one overriding message, one fundamental belief that everyone seemed to hold on to. No matter how bad things got, or how many people the Carrows hurt, eventually Harry Potter would be back and he would fight with them and help the escape the place that Hogwarts had become.

It seemed like a lot of responsibility for someone so young, but everyone Adrian heard speaking about him sounded so sure that it was hard not to get caught up in the hype as well. He found himself starting to believe that maybe things would change and they wouldn’t just have to put up with the Carrows’ treatment of them forever.

Of course, he should have known that the second he allowed his guard to drop even a little, everything would start to unravel.

It was Friday morning and after a long week, the fourth-year Hufflepuffs were having to endure another Muggle Studies lesson. There was no one who bothered to listen to these lessons now, though there was equally no one left to speak up against them anymore, which meant they usually had to sit in silence through an hour of Professor Carrow droning on about the stupidity of Muggles while they all did their best not to listen.

–Good morning, class,” she greeted them, to be met with the usual silence. –I thought today we should discuss some of the more undesirable elements of society, some of whom are not all the dissimilar to the lazy, arrogant Muggles.”

Expecting this to now turn in to a lesson insulting trolls or goblins or some other rubbish, Adrian let his eyes glaze over and began doodling on his parchment. The Professor’s next sentence brought him out of his daydream, however.

–As you know, Squibs are those who are born in to wizarding families who do not possess magic.”

Suddenly Adrian was sitting bolt upright. He saw Dorian eying him nervously, obviously hoping he wouldn’t have been paying enough attention to hear but from the look on Professor Carrow’s face, it was obvious that this lecture was going to be aimed directly at him.

–Extensive research has proven beyond doubt that these Squibs have had their magic stolen from them by so called ‘Muggle-borns’ who do not have a birth right to possess magic. However, further research in to how exactly magic is stolen has subsequently revealed that there is a certain type of person most susceptible to have their magic stolen.

–These people are usually weaker than other wizards in some way. They come from parents whose blood is not strong enough to protect their magic and their pathetic inability to protect their magic when face with a challenge from disgusting Muggle filth makes them the most inferior of our kind.”

Adrian could feel rage rising in his chest but he somehow managed to keep his mouth shut. He knew this was what she wanted. This whole lesson was designed to get a rise out of him and he had to avoid taking the bait. Professor Carrow was not one to give in easily, however.

–As a result of this research, the Ministry has decided that steps should be taken to remove these weak elements from our society. If it were not for their existence then we would not be plagued by the increasing numbers of Muggle-borns we find ourselves with. Steps are being taken to ensure that these worthless Squibs are contained and not allowed to further spread their pathetic and weak genes.”

–They are not worthless.”

At first, Adrian didn’t even realise he had spoken. But he suddenly became aware that the Professor had stopped lecturing and the entire class was staring at him.

–Do you have something to say, Mr Radley?” the Professor asked, her lips curling upwards at the sides in a sly smile.

–They are not worthless,” Adrian said again, his voice louder and more confident than before.

–I think perhaps you should stand up if you are going to address the class.”

Adrian rose shakily to his feet, ignoring Dorian’s mutters to shut up.

–I said they are not worthless,” he repeated, his voice steady and confident now. –You are wrong about them, just like you are wrong about everything else.”

–Are you trying to say you know better than a Hogwarts Professor?”

–Yes.”

A gasp went up around the room.

–Silence,” commanded the Professor at once.

–Well, well, Mr Radley,” she said. –I do believe we should continue this conversation at a more appropriate time. I suggest eight o’clock, at the Dark Arts classroom. Perhaps you can think of some other things I am wrong about before then?”

Adrian didn’t answer. He started to sit back down but the Professor stopped him.

–I think you should stay standing for the rest of my lecture. It may teach you how to show some respect.”

And so he spent the next half an hour on his feet while Carrow continued to lecture on the inferiority of Squibs and gave various examples of Squibs throughout history and their failures. Adrian knew that as much of the class were watching him as were watching the Professor. They were all waiting to see what he would do next. Somehow, though he had no idea how, he managed to block out the rest of the lecture. He stayed standing, staring straight ahead at the Professor, but he did his best not to hear another word she said.

When the bell rang, he was first out of the classroom. He couldn’t bear to see Dorian and have him tell him that he shouldn’t have said anything or how much danger he had put himself in. He knew all too well how stupid he had been. It was obvious the whole lesson had been there to set him up and he had risen to it. The Carrows were going to get to carry out their threats and it was all his own fault.

He spent the entirety of Ancient Runes trying to think of a way out. He couldn’t run away - the school was too closely guarded and he would be caught before he’d even left the school gates. Besides, he couldn’t use magic outside of Hogwarts, so he wouldn’t be able to get very far. He thought about just not turning up to the detention but it would just make the eventual consequences ten times worse. He wondered if he could say anything to one of the other Professors - Sprout or even McGonagall - it was obvious they hated the Carrows as much as the students did, but they were equally powerless. The Headmaster was on the side of the Carrows, and while the other Professors did as much as they could to protect the students, they couldn’t do anything if someone had been stupid enough to talk back and land themselves in detention.

At lunch, he avoided speaking to Dorian or Rosa and in Transfiguration, he sat in the back of the classroom, avoiding eye contact with anyone. This made it hard to get a quick getaway after the lesson however, and they cornered him immediately after class.

–I don’t need to hear it,” he snapped before either of them could speak. –I know how stupid it was okay. I know that I did everything wrong.”

–I actually thought you were remarkably restrained,” said Rosa.

–Yeah,” Dorian agreed. –Adrian, it was obvious you were never going to be allowed to leave that lesson without getting yourself another detention. You’re not made of stone - no one could have listened to that idiot woman’s words about their family member and not said something. Did you really think we were going to have a go at you?”

Adrian nodded. –Sorry, I should have had more faith in you. I’m just…used to dealing with this stuff alone.”

–Well, we’re worried about you. We wanted to talk to you about how to handle detention. It’s obvious they’re trying to force you to a put a foot out of line so they can take further action.” He lowered his voice. –Maybe they think if they arrest you, it might force your father out of hiding.”

–Why all this just to track down one Squib?” asked Adrian, helplessly.

–I have no idea. Maybe it’s about more than just one Squib. We just can’t know.”

Adrian didn’t eat much at dinner and at five to eight he got up to head to detention.

–Adrian, be careful,” begged Dorian before he left. –It’s probably going to be ten times worse than it was in class this morning but you have to let it go.”

–I’ll try,” replied Adrian, though he truth he wasn’t sure how he was going to.

The detention seemed to be in roughly the same format as last time, though on this occasion Adrian knew what to expect. He arrived at the classroom with the group of other students who all looked like they had been through this before. A number of them were sporting cuts and bruises and seemed somewhat worse for wear.

At eight o’clock sharp, the male Professor Carrow summoned them in to the room. His eyes locked contact with Adrian’s and gave a small nod of approval at the sight of him.

–Such a shame to see you back in here, Radley, but I understand you were rather rude to your Professor earlier,” he said. –Take a seat and you’ll be summoned when it’s your turn.”

Adrian was not called upon first this time and instead had to sit for over an hour, watching other students being forced either to torture each other or be tortured by the Carrows. They never used their hands but they seem to have an ever growing range of curses they could use to inflict pain and injuries on the students. There was no option to look away. Anyone who tried to turn their attention was immediately reprimanded and forced to look back at the front of the room. This had the added effect of meaning that by the time it was Adrian’s turn, his rage at what the Carrows were doing was at its peak.

At last Adrian was called, alongside a second year, a girl who looked so small and mousey that he could hardly believe she could have done anything to warrant detention.

–You were rather good at this last time,” Carrow sneered. Why don’t you try something a bit stronger this time? You know the Cruciatus curse I believe?”

Adrian gasped. He couldn’t cast an Unforgivable on an innocent child. He stood with his wand raised, but the word wasn’t going to come. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Carrow smirking.

He was suddenly picturing every injury he had witnessed that year, every stupid word that had come out of the mouths of both Professors, the way they had pushed and pushed, knowing exactly how to test his limits. Suddenly, without really thinking about what he was doing, Adrian heard himself saying the curse. He heard everyone in the room gasp and in horror he looked down at his wand and found it pointing squarely at Carrow.

Carrow had a shield up before the spell could reach him but the damage had been done. Adrian didn’t even wait to witness his reaction. Before anyone could say or do anything else he ran for the door and sprinted from the classroom. His feet took him back to the Hufflepuff common room and he tumbled inside, breathing heavily and desperately looking for someone who could help him.

The room was almost empty. Most students went to bed early nowadays, to avoid the depressing atmosphere that had settled itself over the castle. Dorian and Rosa were there, however, and he had never been so grateful to see them. They rushed over as he entered and when he collapsed to the floor they grabbed his arms and hauled him back up, guiding him over to the sofas. The other people in the room looked up curiously but they knew better than to ask questions and immediately buried themselves back in whatever they had been doing before his arrival.

–Adrian, what happened? What did they do?” Dorian asked urgently.

–I…I tried to Crucio Carrow.”

They both gasped in horror. He knew from the looks on their faces that this was just as bad as he thought.

–I’m done,” he said, his head in his hands. –What are they going to do to me now?”

Neither of them answered. One thing was for certain though - it seemed unlikely that Adrian would still be at Hogwarts by the following morning.

He was vaguely aware of the other two muttering quietly between themselves, discussing options for getting him out, but he couldn’t concentrate. His heart was still thudding and every beat seemed to bring the Carrows closer to him. Why weren’t they here already? What had stopped them following him from the room - surely they would know he would head straight for the common room.

–What about Ernie?” he heard Dorian asking. –He was the one who Gemma used to talk to.”

–I haven’t seen him since the beginning of the week,” Rosa replied. –Most of the older ones seem to have suddenly vanished.”

–I don’t know who else we can speak to.”

–There’s no point,” Adrian said heavily. –Like you said, anyone who might have been able to help has already gone and besides, why would they help me anyway - I haven’t done anything for them this year.”

–That’s not how it works, Adrian. Anyway, we’re Hufflepuffs - we’ve got that loyalty thing going for us.”

Adrian smiled weakly. –I don’t understand why they’re not already here,” he said.

–Maybe they’re waiting for something,” Dorian suggested though he didn’t seem sure.

–It is odd,” Rosa added. –They know more and more people have been disappearing and I don’t think they’re behind them all, not from the way they’ve been acting over the last week. They’re losing control and it’s starting to show.

–Do you think the Professors-”

–No,” Adrian cut in. –I’m not risking anyone getting into trouble for me being an idiot. Let’s face it, I’m stuck. There’s nowhere to go and no one to speak to. I’m better off just facing up to what’s about to happen.”

He did his best not to let the terror he was feeling come through in his words. He had been hiding all year, it was time to be brave. He just wished it wasn’t so tough. A year ago everything was so simple. He knew what was right and what was wrong. He was the last person who would have been preparing to be arrested.

–If anything happens,” he started.

–Adrian, don’t.”

–No, please, it’s important. If anything happens, you need to tell my mum the truth. She was so sad, she needs to know that Dad loved her and that they’re safe. I just hope he won’t try and come back or do anything stupid.”

–I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as you think, Adrian, you’re over-reacting.”

–I tried to cast an Unforgiveable Curse on a Hogwarts’ Professor in front of twenty witnesses. Even if this was a normal year that would be enough to land me in Azkaban. Gemma did nothing and she was taken away. Of course they’re going to come for me.”

They sat in silence for a while after that. At one point, Adrian suggested that Dorian and Rosa should go to bed. Rosa just laughed. –You think we’re going to just leave you down here on your own?” she asked. –Don’t be stupid.”

He worried about how bad it would be for them to be found with him when the Carrows arrived, but the selfish part of him didn’t care. He didn’t want to be alone.

The remaining Hufflepuffs gradually left the room to go to bed, leaving the three of them alone. Minutes passed, and then hours. At one point Adrian found himself dozing off to sleep, but he quickly roused again. Somewhere at the back of his mind, a small voice at was telling him that it was odd they hadn’t come for him yet and that maybe, just maybe, he had overreacted and they weren’t going to come after all. But then it was equally likely that they were just waiting for the Aurors to arrive.

They didn’t talk much over those hours, but Adrian was glad of their company nonetheless. Waiting seemed easier with them there.

In spite of the time he had had to accept the idea of what was coming, when the door to the common room finally opened, Adrian felt more scared than he was expecting. His hand briefly went to his wand but then he realised that was the most stupid thing he could do. Instead he stood up and waited.

–Adrian!” The person that greeted him was not who he was expecting.

–What on earth are the three of you doing out of bed?” their Head of House asked.

–I…we stayed up talking,” Adrian said quickly. –Professor, what are you doing here?”

–All students have been summoned to the Great Hall,” she replied. –The three of you can help me wake them. Tell everyone to get dressed and bring cloaks and wands and to do so as quickly as possible. I’m afraid there isn’t time to explain.”

It took a minute for Adrian to understand the Professor’s instruction. Until a minute ago he was expecting to be arrested. Now, the whole school was being woken in the middle of the night. What on earth was going on?

He was aware of Dorian grabbing his arm. –Let’s go wake the boys,” he said firmly.

Between them, they made their way through the dormitories. Adrian went to the fifth-years, wanting to see his friends himself.

–What’s going on?” Hector asked as they quickly dressed.

–No idea, Sprout just told us to get everyone to the Great Hall.”

–What were you even doing awake?”

–I’ll er, tell you later,” Adrian replied quickly. Now was definitely not the time. He still hadn’t fully discounted the idea that they were being summoned to the Hall to witness Adrian being arrested in front of the whole school, or worse. Somehow though, he sensed this was something bigger than that.

–You don’t think this is the fight people have been talking about do you?” asked Duncan. –People have been talking about overthrowing the Carrows - maybe it’s finally happening.”

–I guess we’ll find out,” Hector said, grabbing his wand. –Let’s go.”

They made their way back to the common room where the rest of students were starting to process out, all looking sleepy and slightly disorientated. Adrian called over Rosa and Dorian and along with Hector and Duncan they joined the throng of students heading out into the corridor.

They arrived at the Hall to find students of all four houses there, along with some other people who didn’t look like they belonged at Hogwarts. Adrian put all thoughts of his arrest out of his head now. This was definitely something bigger than just him. It looked as if all the rumours were true; Hogwarts was preparing to fight.