Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Stolen Magic by coolh5000

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter begins approximately three and a half years after the prologue. Thanks again to Kara for betaing!
–Mum, we’re going to be late!” Adrian shouted up the stairs. –We’re always late,” he muttered under his breath.

Samuel came through from the kitchen, munching on a piece of toast. –She’ll be getting stressed about the station,” he said, looking worried. –I don’t have to come.”

–Don’t be stupid,” Adrian replied, ruffling his brother’s hair. –You want to come don’t you?”

–Yeah, of course. I want to see the trains.”

Adrian laughed. Of course, his train-mad brother was less interested in coming to see him off to school and more in getting to see which of the latest models were at the platforms of King’s Cross. And there was the exciting opportunity of seeing the Hogwarts Express - one of a rare few steam engines left in Britain.

–Don’t bother about Mum, she worries about nothing.” He felt a little bad saying it though, because he knew it wasn’t true. The last few times he had gone back to school had been increasingly awkward, with people staring and muttering at them as they passed. Almost everyone (or as their mother said, all the people that mattered) had heard that Samuel was a squib and even for those who weren’t sure, it would be especially obvious when he didn’t join his brother for what should have been his first year.

–So, when are you heading back to school?” he asked, referring to the specialist Squib Institute Samuel had attended for the past two years.

–Not until next weekend. We obviously don’t need as much training as you lot.”

–You’ve already been there for two extra years! I’d say that makes up for the extra week here and there.”

–Yeah, yeah.”

It was a common conversation between the pair, and completely light-hearted. Most of the time, Samuel seemed unbothered about not having magic, and Adrian found that his attitude helped him not to care either. When they were together, they were just brothers - closer than other boys their age perhaps, but still able to play and have fun like any other pair of siblings. It was only when their parents or other witches and wizards got involved that things became more difficult. Then it seemed to hang over them like the kind of cloud that hovers around all day threatening rain but in the end just drifts away.

–What will you be studying this year?” Adrian asked, curious. While Samuel knew a lot about Hogwarts, Adrian never really felt he’d learnt as much about the school his younger brother attended. He had started there a year or so after it had been confirmed that he was a Squib. It was designed for children from wizarding families who couldn’t use magic but whose parents didn’t want them to enter the Muggle education system. It was a boarding school that accepted students from age eight (the youngest age that a Squib could be conclusively tested by a Healer) to eighteen to teach them how to survive without magic in the wizarding world.

–I’ve got to take all the usual things like Maths, English, Wizarding History, and Administration skills. I swear though, I’m never working in a boring office like Dad no matter how many administration lessons they make me go to. I get to take a few new things now I’m eleven though. I’ve chosen a course in magical engineering. Apparently there’s a lot of work that kind of work that can be done without magic. And it would be more interesting than working in a shop.” He wrinkled his nose at the thought.

–You’re far too clever to ever work in a shop,” Adrian said, feeling his usual frustration that cropped up every time they spoke about the future. The kind of jobs Samuel and the other Squibs were taught to aim for were not the sort of things he should be doing, especially not when he was as clever as he was, having inherited his father’s Ravenclaw brains.

–Do you have everything you need, Adrian?” Theia’s smooth voice rippled down the stairs.

–Yes, Mum. I’ve been standing here with my trunk for half an hour!”

–Don’t talk to your mother like that, she was only asking,” reproved Edward, following his wife down. –I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to come with you today, Adrian. I have to go to work. Your mother will take you via side-along Apparation. Both of you hold on to her hand and do exactly as she says, okay?”

–Yes, Dad,” both boys mumbled in reply. Edward gave his son a quick hug and then left.

–We’d better be off too,” said Theia, attempting to sound bright. –Now with two of you and one of me, I’m going to Apparate both of you there, and then you must stay exactly where you are while I come back for the trunk. Did Lars ever come back from Dorian’s, Adrian?”

–No, he’ll probably go straight to Hogwarts now,” Adrian replied, referring to his recently purchased Tawny Owl.

Ten minutes later they were all safely at King’s Cross station. Samuel was already eying up one of the new Virgin trains that was sitting waiting for its passengers. Their mother pursed her lips in disapproval. –Come on, Samuel,” she said sharply. –We haven’t got time for this silly train nonsense today. Besides, I can’t see what the fascination is with them - they’re just Muggle trains.”

Once, Samuel might have been hurt by these comments but he had grown so used to his mother’s frequent negative remarks directed at anything and everything Muggle, especially the trains he so loved, that it no longer mattered to him. –I’ll race you to the platform,” he said instead, breaking into a sprint as he approached the barrier between nine and ten. Adrian, pushing his trunk on a trolley, broke into a half-hearted run but knew he was never going to win.

Inches from the barrier, however, Samuel suddenly stopped running. It looked like he had hit something but he was not touching the stone of the barrier. He had just halted in mid-air.

Theia and Adrian immediate hurried over. –Are you all right?” she asked.

–I can’t move any further, it’s like the air is stopping me,” Samuel replied, confused.

Theia put a tentative step forward and found she was able to continue. –Don’t worry, I’ll go and fetch someone to help.” She passed through the barrier and returned a few minutes later with a black-robed wizard. Adrian couldn’t place him. He definitely wasn’t in Auror robes, but nor did he look like one of the usual attendants from platform nine and three quarters.

–Perhaps the charm isn’t set up correctly,” he muttered as he waved his wand around the wall of air carefully. –It was only supposed to prevent Muggles.”

–Ah, well.” Suddenly, Theia blushed bright pink. –Samuel here is unfortunately unable to use magic.” She lowered her voice slightly. –He’s a Squib.” The guard started at the word but quickly pulled himself together.

–Well, that would explain it.”

–He’s never had any problems before and he’s been with us on several occasions. We are, after all, one of the older wizarding families.” Her tone had changed from one of embarrassment to indignation. The guard faltered for a minute before continuing, more smoothly than before.

–I do understand, of course. I will make adjustments to allow your son through. The extra protection is a new step we have taken this year to ensure no one of the wrong kind gets through. I’m sure you have heard about the new laws.”

At this, Theia softened. –Well of course they do make it difficult for you.”

–We’d hoped some who haven’t yet registered yet would turn up today and we would be able to speak to them. This charm is supposed to be rigged to an alarm but it obviously hasn’t worked too well.”

–Mum,” Adrian interrupted suddenly, –we’re going to miss the train!”

–Oh goodness yes!”

The guard waved his wand and Samuel was able to pass through the invisible barrier and on to the platform with Theia and Adrian.

Adrian need not have worried. Half the luggage still seemed not to have been loaded on to the train and there were guards everywhere, checking names on lists and cross-checking wands and identities. Adrian spotted his best friend Dorian and his mother a little distance away and immediately headed over to them.

–Such a pain,” Mrs Whitbread said to Theia. –But necessary I suppose in order to weed out those unfit to be here. I’ve seen the recent news in the Prophet,” she said, quickly glancing at Samuel and lowering her voice. –It really is about time they were doing something about this. There are so many of these so called Muggleborns in the country now - it really is getting out of hand. And yet the number of non-magical wizards seems to rise every year. How many in Samuel’s year, did you say?”

–Eighteen,” Theia replied. –I agree. I can’t tell you how pleased we are to see the Ministry acting on this problem. Who knows, it may be that during the course of their investigation they establish exactly how these people are obtaining their magic and why it is that so many wizarding children are being born without it. There might even be some way to reverse the process.”

Dorian looked over at Adrian and rolled his eyes at their mothers’ conversation but Adrian had been listening carefully. He knew about the new laws, of course, and he was as happy with his parents that after years of being ignored someone was trying to get justice for Squibs, but he’d never heard anyone talk of reversing the process before. Was there really a possibility that Samuel could use magic after all?

–Come on, Ade, let’s leave these two to it and get on the train,” Dorian said impatiently, clearly not interested in the Muggleborn conversation.

Adrian gave his mum an awkward hug and said goodbye to Samuel. –Enjoy the engineering,” he said and Samuel grinned.

–I will. You enjoy all the boring wand-waving.”

Adrian and Dorian headed for the train. Adrian noticed the usual stares following them but there seem to be considerably more sympathy in the looks than usual. –Samuel really doesn’t seem to care about not being a wizard, does he?” Dorian remarked. –I can’t imagine knowing it was the year I was supposed to start Hogwarts and not being able to go.”

Adrian shrugged. –That’s just Samuel. He doesn’t ever seem to get worked up about anything. He must care a little bit though.”

Before they could get on the train, their names were checked off against a list. Adrian suddenly became aware of some sort of commotion further down the train. An older boy - a Gryffindor, he thought - was arguing with the guard at the train.

–I’ve given you my name,” he was saying. –But you’re not touching my wand. Just let me on the train!” A red-headed girl stood next to him, her arms folded. The guard looked like he was about to say something else, when a blonde girl wandered over to join them and put her hand on the Gryffindor’s arm. She said something quietly to the boy and he relaxed his shoulders. Sensing there wasn’t going to be anymore fighting, the guard waved them all on.

Dorian raised his eyebrows. –Things are a little different this year, eh?” he said.

They quickly found a couple of other friends on the train. For the most part, the journey was no different to usual. There were a few comments about the changes at the station but in general the conversation was about their O.W.L courses and how much homework McGonagall would give them in her first lesson. Adrian relaxed. He enjoyed going back to school after the long holidays, even if it meant starting work again. He was thinking of trying for the Quidditch team this year. He had been flying since he was young an could reach decent speeds as a Chaser. They had a strong house team but a couple of seventh years had left the year before and Adrian was hoping he could take one of their spots.

Mid-way through the journey, the food trolley came round and they gorged themselves on chocolate and sweets. The hassle at King’s Cross was long forgotten and everyone in the carriage was feeling settled and ready for the year ahead.

***


Many hours later, dinner was over and Adrian, Dorian and their other friends were heading for the common room. They went down a flight of stairs, winded round a few corners and ended up standing by a stack of barrels. The group of first years, who had come down a few seconds behind led by the prefects, looked very confused. Adrian, as the person at the front, stepped forward and began tapping one of the barrels, concentrating hard on the rhythm.

When he finished, the barrels began shifting and rearranging themselves, moving aside to create a space tall and wide enough for a person to pass through.

–Welcome to Hufflepuff,” he said to the first years, a huge smile on his face.

This was home. The bright comfortable common room, with its soft armchairs, crackling fireplace and round windows, was Adrian’s favourite place in all of Hogwarts. The first time he had seen it, when he had arrived at Hogwarts full of nerves, following in the footsteps of neither his Ravenclaw father nor Slytherin Mother, he had felt instantly calmed. And since then, every time he entered the room, no matter how stressed or restless he was, the room seemed to make him feel better.

An older student had once told him that Hufflepuff had a unique ability to make everyone feel welcome. Adrian couldn’t agree more. He had never really been sure where he would fit in at Hogwarts. When he had sat with the Sorting Hat on his head, there had been a long pause before the hat said anything to him, and in that pause, all he had been able to think was, I wish Samuel could be part of this. The hat had latched on to this thought, delving into Adrian’s mind and finding all the strong feelings he had for his family.

–You’re certainly loyal,” the hat had said, –but I don’t think you’d fit into Slytherin. A little bit softer than your mother was. You could be very clever, but I think you hold back, so in that case, I’ll send you to HUFFLEPUFF!”

Slightly dazed, Adrian had joined his new house, followed some minutes later by Dorian, and had never looked back.

As was often the case on the first night, the younger years went to bed early, leaving a scattering of fourth years and above sitting about in the common room. Adrian noticed a couple of seventh years sitting in a corner talking in low voices with their heads close together. He recognised one as Ernie, the house prefect.

–I’ve not heard from him since we left school,” he was saying.

–Me neither. I do hope he got away,” a girl replied. Suddenly she stopped, aware that they were being listened to, and gazed at Adrian coolly. –Can we help you?” she asked.

Adrian flushed with embarrassment. –Sorry,” he muttered, turning back to the conversation of his friends.

–Have you seen how many people are missing?” Rosa was saying. –All the Muggleborns, and a few more besides.”

–Well of course they are,” said Dorian. –This Muggleborn registration committee has been a sham. It’s an excuse to get rid of them. Anyone who turned up was arrested. Anyone who refused has had to go on the run.” He lowered his voice. –I saw Mark in the first week of the holidays. McGonagall came to see his parents and told them to get out of the country. The whole family have just vanished without a trace. Good on them I say.”

Adrian frowned. –But they’ve broken the law,” he said.

–Says who?” This came from Gemma. –How come it’s suddenly against the law to be Muggleborn? How can they help how they were born?”

–They’ve done tests,” Adrian replied. –They said so in the Prophet, and they’ve realised it’s impossible for Muggles to be born with magic. They have to get it from somewhere. They’re stealing it from wizards.”

–You can’t really believe that!” Gemma was incredulous.

–Why not? How else do you explain Muggleborns?”

–Why do they need explaining? Some people are born with magic, some aren’t, it’s just how it works. Surely you should know that.” She gave a little gasp as she finished speaking, as if realising what she’d just said.

–I’m going to bed,” said Adrian abruptly. –But I for one support the Ministry in what they’re doing.”

–Open your eyes, Adrian,” spat Gemma, recovering her voice. –Half the house is missing. Do you really think Mark, our friend, is a criminal and should be locked up in Azkaban? This isn’t about justice for Squibs or whatever you’ve got in your head. Look at what’s happening to Hogwarts. Snape is headmaster - some people say he murdered Dumbledore. And why are we all suddenly having to take Muggle Studies? Something bigger is happening here.”

Adrian didn’t say another word. He simply stormed from the room and up to the dormitory. It was empty - of the fourth year boys, only he and Dorian had returned. As he changed for bed, he couldn’t get Gemma’s words out of his head. Was she right? Was there really something else happening besides enforcing the Muggleborn laws? But no, it couldn’t be. The Radleys had waited three years for someone to do something about the Muggleborn problem, and now that they were, he wasn’t going to let anyone stop him feeling happy for Samuel.