Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The train whistle blew again, sending owls a-flutter as young witches and wizards hurried around platform nine and three-quarters. Julia pointedly picked up her cat basket as her mother gave her little brother Mason another hug.

–We should go,” said Julia, –or we’ll miss the train. It’s already 10:45.”

–Of course, of course,” said her mother. –Have a good term. Good luck, Mason!”

Mason nodded. –Bye Mum. Bye Dad.”

Dad smiled. –You two have fun.”

–Come on,” said Julia, grabbing her brother’s hand to pull him along, and they slipped into the crowd, dragging their trunks. –Just leave your luggage here,” she told him when they reached the train. –Someone will pick it up and stow it on the train.” She showed the conductor their tickets, and they stepped on board.

–I can sit with you, right?” asked Mason. –Just this once?”

–Yes,” Julia sighed. –Of course you can.” She kept looking in the compartment windows, checking for people she knew. If the people inside had been looking at them, it would have been clear that the two were related. Both she and her brother had wavy, chocolate-coloured hair and rosy cheeks, though his eyes were lighter than her own dark brown. She had been relieved when Mason had gotten his letter that summer. Both of their parents were muggles, so she hadn’t been certain that he would, and he would have been terribly jealous if he wasn’t magic too.

–There you are!” Another girl had just come down the corridor, a tall blonde with grey eyes. –We’re way at the back. Even Chelsea wasn’t early this time.”

Julia laughed. –That’s something new.” Chelsea was notoriously keen, always early for everything from classes to meals.

Mason peered around her. –I don’t get it.”

–Oh, yeah,” said Julia. –Grace, this is my brother, Mason. It’s his first year. You don’t mind if he sits with us, do you?”

–Of course not! Nice to meet you, Mason.”

–Yeah. Same,” said Mason, looking back at the floor.

They reached the compartment soon, and were greeted by Chelsea and Willa. Julia introduced her brother again as the train chugged away.

–Ah. I remember my first year . . .” Willa started, looking off into the distance.

–Please!” laughed Grace. –Don’t even go there.”

Chelsea pushed up her glasses, blue to match her eyes. –I agree with Grace. Much more important to think about now. For instance . . . who got the prefect badge? One of us must have!”

Julia grinned and pulled the shining badge out of her bag.

–Of course,” Grace smiled. –Who else would it be but Miss Top of the Class, I can’t wait till fifth year so I can tell off little kids Julia?”

–I never said that!” Julia protested. –And I’m not top in every class. Defense Against the Dark Arts, for instance . . .”

–Did you hear who’s teaching this year?” Willa asked.

–No, but I hope they’re a better teacher than Lockhart,” said Chelsea.

–That wouldn’t be very hard,” said Julia.

–But they can’t be any better looking,” Willa sighed, twirling her blond curls around her finger.

–I don’t see why I can’t have a cat,” said Mason. Julia looked over, startled, and saw that he had let Snowy, her fluffy white pet, out of her basket, and was teasing her with a bit of string.

–Maybe when you’re older,” she shrugged. –I just got Snowy last year.”

–Well, I just hope we have a nice, quiet year,” said Grace, changing the subject as the train chugged over a bridge.

Julia nodded. –Me too.” Ever since Harry Potter had come to Hogwarts two years ago, there had been an unusual amount of trouble, particularly last year. She’d been on edge for months, terrified that she might be attacked by what had turned out to be a basilisk. Admittedly, Harry and his friends had always solved the problems, an admirable feat for three kids, and they really weren’t to blame, but she couldn’t help but think it was better before they came. Still, she couldn’t really see what could go wrong this time around. The Daily Prophet had been full of warnings about the escaped murderer Sirius Black, but they would be safe at Hogwarts. Hogwarts had to be safe.

Then the train shuddered to a halt, and the lights flickered out. Someone screamed, possibly Mason.

–Does this normally happen?” he squeaked.

–No,” said Grace. –Never.”

Julia reached for her wand. Hawthorn and phoenix feather, smooth and solid, it didn’t banish the feeling of cold that had begun to creep over her . . . but it could make it less dark. –Lumos,” she whispered, and the dark was slightly diluted by a small white light. The silence stretched on. She felt strange, sad . . . and it really was chilly. She gripped her wand tighter. Snowy mewed. There was the sound of compartment doors opening and closing, and a strange rasping noise . . .

She stumbled back as a hooded figure looked in, a horrible, tall thing making that awful rasping sound. Her worst memories seemed to be drawn out of the back of her mind . . . and then it was gone, the door was shut. There was a sound from nearby, a hint of silver light. A few minutes later, the lights flickered back on, and the train began to move again. Everyone was very pale. Mason was shaking, so Julia wrapped him in a hug.

–It’s okay,” she whispered. –It’s gone now.”

–A dementor,” said Chelsea. –They guard prisoners in Azkaban. But why was it here?” Her glasses were still slightly frosted.

–Must be because of Sirius Black,” Julia replied, letting her brother go. –He escaped from that Azkaban, didn’t he?”

–Yeah,” said Grace. Willa petted Snowy. They passed the rest of the ride in silence, all too shaken to say any more.