Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Julia spent the next couple of weeks in a daze, busy thinking. She wasn’t really sure why the memory disturbed her so much - it had been a long time ago. It didn’t matter. Still, the fact remained that it had shaken her, and she was more afraid of the dementors than ever. She hadn’t seen a trace of them on the grounds - rumour had it that Dumbledore was furious at them, and was keeping them by the gates and nowhere else. Still, fueled by an irrational fear that they would come to the next Quidditch game as well, she stayed back with Chelsea at the end of November when Ravenclaw faced Hufflepuff. Willa and Grace seemed to have regained their taste for the game, and had gone to watch with Mason, Sam, and everyone else in Ravenclaw house.

Julia was starting to wish she’d gone with them after an hour of oppressive silence, broken only by faint sounds of cheering from across the grounds. Chelsea had been reading her Transfiguration book the whole time.

–Aren’t you done that essay yet?” Julia asked.

Chelsea looked up, startled, and checked the cover of the book. –What - oh, yeah. I’m just doing some, er, reading ahead. You know, because it’s exam year.”

–Right,” said Julia. As she looked back down at her Potions homework, she caught a glimpse of black on the red cover of Chelsea’s book. Curious, Julia looked back up, tilting her head, and saw that the cover was shimmering slightly. –Chels, what’s up with your book?”

–It’s just my textbook,” she said, not looking up.

–No, it looks funny.” Julia got up. –Can I see this for just . . .”

–Get your own!” Chelsea leapt to her feet, almost knocking over the blue armchair she’d been sitting in.

–I just wanted to look. Why can’t I?”

–There’s nothing to look at.”

–Then why can’t I see?” Julia asked, reaching for the book.

Chelsea held the book closer to herself. –You just can’t.”

–Chelsea, you’re being stupid . . .” but just then, the door opened, and the common room flooded with people, dressed in blue, laughing and talking loudly.

–We won!” said Willa.
–I guess Cho’s good for something after all,” said Grace.

Julia laughed, and watched out of the corner of her eye as Chelsea quickly packed up her books. –I’ll come next time. Dumbledore wouldn’t let something like . . . before happen again. What was the score?”

–Three hundred to twenty. We completely flattened them,” said Grace. –Wouldn’t it be cool if Ravenclaw could win the cup again? I mean, it’d be cooler if I was on the team . . .”

–We spotted the twins,” said Willa casually as they all squeezed around a table, a little away from the crowd.

–Great,” said Julia. –Did anyone bring snacks in? I’m starving . . .”

–Don’t you want to know what they said?” asked Willa, her eyes sparkling mischievously.

–No.”

–Yes, she does,” said Grace, grinning. –Totally.”

–They said they were worried about you,” said Willa. –Slightly. Apparently they like, dropped a dungbomb in the hall when you were around and you didn’t even go all prefect on them.”

–They did what?” Julia gasped.

–They said they were slightly concerned about you. Isn’t that sweet?”

–How could I not notice a dungbomb?”

–You have been a little out of it,” said Chelsea.

Julia looked around the room, and saw all the people laughing and talking. She could hardly remember speaking to anyone since the last match. –Yeah. I guess I have been. Where’s Mason?”

Grace frowned. –I dunno. Somewhere with Sam . . .”

Julia cursed. –I just can’t take my eyes of that kid for a minute. I’ll be back soon.”

She stalked towards the door, and could practically feel her friends grinning as she left.

- -

She finally found Mason and Sam down in the basement with Parker. –What on Earth are you two doing?” she asked.

–Nothing,” said Mason quickly.

–Can’t say, miss,” said Sam.

–You will say!” Julia protested. –There’s not even anything down here . . .”

–We were getting food for Parker,” said Mason. –Fred and George told us where the kitchens are, but I’m not telling you.”

–Mason . . . I’m sorry.”

–Sorry for what?” he prompted.

–Sorry for ignoring you.”

–You sure have been,” Sam sniggered. –We got detention all last week and you never even said a word.”

–What?”

–It’s a long story,” Mason mumbled. –See you later, sis.”

And they hurried away, leaving Julia in the flicker candlelight. She felt awful. She was such a coward, letting her own fear hurt everyone else . . . Willa had said Fred and George were –slightly concerned” about her, but they shouldn’t be. What Gryffindor could ever care even a little bit about a cowardly Ravenclaw like her?

- -

Julia felt a bit better as December rolled around, bringing with it glittering frost and bright white snow. Unable to think of a clever solution, she’d simply spent extra time with her brother, and he seemed to have almost forgiven her. There was one more Hogsmeade weekend before the holidays. Maybe if she got him a really nice present, he’d forgive her faster.

The last weeks of school passed quickly. Chelsea had stopped spending so much time reading, and Julia couldn’t help but wonder if it had been because she’d seen the shimmering book cover. Something was definitely going on, but she didn’t want to deal with it now. She just wanted to go home for Christmas. She coasted by in her classes, willing the time to pass. She didn’t see much of Fred and George, but she did give them a stern telling off for setting off fireworks in the hall, and she was sure she saw them grin as she stalked away. Finally, there was the Hogsmeade weekend. She was just going to hang out with her friends this time. No complications, just Christmas cheer. And, much to her surprise, that was about how it went. They sat in their dormitory afterwards, packing and comparing the gifts they’d bought.
–Mason’ll love that self-filling surprise box,” said Grace. –That’s so cool.”

–I know,” Julia smiled. –I kind of want one myself.”

–Oh!” said Willa. –I want to give you guys your gifts now, or I’ll forget. Here . . .” She handed out packets of paper. –Boy files. You guys are all fifteen now. You’ve got to get studying.”

Julia gave her a look. –This is the Fred and George file.”

–Well, I wasn’t sure which one you preferred, so I just gave you both.”

–Neither. I prefer neither of them.”

Willa shrugged, smiling. –Keep it. You’ll thank me someday.”

It wasn’t long before they were all on the train home. They got off at the station amidst all the hustle and bustle, and Julia and Mason were just about to go through the barrier when Connor waved her over.

–Go on, Mason,” she said. –I’ll just be a second. Prefect business, I expect.”

Mason nodded, and she headed over. –Hey Connor. What is it?”

He started to speak, but then stopped, looking exceptionally nervous. –I . . . I just wanted . . .”

Julia was puzzled. Then she thought back, and Willa’s voice slipped through her head. He’s been caught up on you ever since you woke him up . . . A reckless mood came over her. She stood up on tiptoe, and kissed him quickly on the lips, before she could have any second thoughts. He stared at her, looking stunned. –Merry Christmas, Connor,” she said lightly. Then, feeling rather light-headed, she walked away through the barrier to meet her family.