Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Julia ran all the way back into the school and through the oak front doors. Then she froze - the entrance hall was full of fireworks in all colours. Red, blue, green, gold . . . they whizzed around over her head, whistling and popping. She stared up at them, startled.

–Preliminary testing,” one of the Weasley twins explained. –We’re thinking of a big display next week . . .”

Julia just gaped, swaying slightly. It seemed wrong, all of it. –I’m a terrible person,” she whispered.

–No feelings here,” said the other twin, slapping her back. –Whatever you’ve done, I’m sure we’ve done worse.”

–Unless you made Ravenclaw lose. Betraying your Quidditch team - that’s the worst.”

Julia stared at them a moment longer. –You two are impossible.”

She kept on running.

- -

She was lying face down on her bed when her friends entered. She turned her head slightly to look as Chelsea picked up a book, and Willa and Grace came to sit on either side of her.

–You really didn’t handle that well,” said Willa calmly.

–I thought you’d be able to put up with him for at least a month,” said Grace.

–Yeah, and now you owe me five galleons,” said Chelsea without looking up.

–I mean, I totally get it,” Willa continued. –Connor’s about the most boring person in this whole house. But you could have let him down easy. I have all sorts of papers you could have read . . .”

–It was stupid,” said Julia. –Okay? I get it. I screwed up, a lot, and I’m too stupid to even be a Ravenclaw . . .”

–I wouldn’t go that far,” Grace shrugged. –I mean, you are like, the top student in our class. No big deal or anything.”

Julia sighed and rolled over to look at the ceiling. –I really will have to hide here now. You guys can bring me food, and my homework, and all that.”

–Yuck. Homework,” said Grace, getting up to examine one of her plants over by the far window.

Willa rolled her eyes. –You’re being ridiculous, Julia.”

–No.”

–Yes.”

–No.”

–I’m not playing this game.”

–Neither am I.”

The room fell silent.

- -

Julia honestly didn’t want to leave the dormitory. She didn’t want to face anyone. She didn’t even want to talk to the Grey Lady. Why would the school’s wisest ghost care about a girl who’d done a typical teenager thing and been incredibly stupid?

Of course, she had to go to class, but she kept her head down. She felt like she’d been doing that too much lately. She hurried back to the dormitory as soon as she could. Grace followed her.

–I feel like such a coward,” said Julia.

–You are being a coward,” said Grace bluntly.

–You’re not supposed to say that. You’re supposed to say, oh, nonsense, you’re the bravest person there is.”

–That would be a lie.”

–What should I do, Grace?” Julia sighed.

–Face him. Go about your life. No one really knows you and they certainly don’t know Connor. You’ll be fine.”

Julia didn’t answer. She knew her friend was right. –It’s really not that easy,” she said at last. Grace had picked up a book, though, and pretended not to hear. Julia sighed. –Fine. Tomorrow.”

Grace smiled, and turned her book right side up.

- -

Julia wasn’t really sure if pretending Connor didn’t exist was brave, but she wasn’t letting it get her down. That had to count for something, right?

She’d been spending lots of time in the library, though, in something she actually was proud of. She wasn’t going to let those stupid old dementors bother her. She was learning the patronus charm. Day after day, she read advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts books, hoping that reading a ridiculous amount of information about the theory would somehow make the difficult spell easier.

–You’ll have to actually practice eventually,” Chelsea pointed out one day. She was still studying a lot.

–Eventually,” said Julia, shaking dust off of an immense old volume - ‘Defense Against Moste Darke Beings‘.

Chelsea glanced at the clock. –It’s almost supper. I’m going to go.”

–Right.” Julia looked up briefly as her friend packed up her books, and caught that same odd shimmer on the covers of the books. She looked back at the pages of the ancient book she was reading, but didn’t see the words. A plan was forming in her mind. Chelsea was certainly up to something, and she was going to find out what. Not right now, though. Supper sounded like an excellent idea.

She set out down the hall, but was met by a horrible stench. She coughed and stepped forward. A chimpanzee came hopping towards her.

–Mason!” she shouted.

–Shh,” he said, coming around the corner. Sam followed, grinning.

–What did you do?”

–Nothing! It was Parker.”

–We trained him to drop dungbombs,” said Sam eagerly. –He’s very clever.”

Julia stared at them. –Why would you do that?! You know I’ll have to report you two!”

–But I’m your brother!” said Mason, as Parker leapt onto his shoulder.

–And I’m a prefect!” She coughed again. –Gosh, it stinks.”

–That’s the point, Miss Julia,” said Sam.

–Congratulations. You’ve learned my name,” she said sarcastically. She patted Parker’s head and smiled. –I’ll tell Flitwick to go easy on you two. He likes you, for some reason or other. Just . . . no more dungbombs.”

Parker reached into Mason’s pocket and found one.

–No, Parker,” she said.

–Yes, Parker,” said Sam.

–Er . . .” Mason said.

Parker dropped the dungbomb.