Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It wasn’t long enough before Julia’s next patrol. She and Connor didn’t say a word to each other. It was just like before, really, only now it was extremely awkward. At least he didn’t look at her. He wasn’t trying to make her feel bad, and that made it worse, because she knew perfectly well that she was in the wrong. Revenge made sense. Hopeless acceptance didn’t.

Tired as she was, she was happy to escape to the library after class the next day, get her mind off things by studying. She was leaving around suppertime when she ran in Fred and George.

–Why, hello,” said one of them. She was starting to get them confused again. They were just so alike . . .

–Long time no see, prefect.”

–Getting up to all sorts of fun stuff, haven’t you?”

Julia blushed furiously. –None of your business.”

–Ah, don’t be mad. Have a toffee.”

Julia took the brightly colored candy, then paused. The other twin had too excited a look on his face . . . –What did you guys do to this?”

They sighed. –She’s just too clever, Fred,” said George, cuffing Julia on the shoulder.

Fred shook his head mournfully. –And us just wanting a test subject . . .”

–Seriously,” said Julia as they approached the Great Hall, –what is it?”

–Try it and see,” George grinned.

–I’d rather not, thanks.”

–Probably for the best,” said Fred. –They’re still in the works.”

–We call them Ton Tongue Toffees,” said George. –You can probably guess why. They sometimes have some other effects, too . . .”

–Levitation, mostly,” said Fred. –Occasionally they start on fire if you don’t swallow fast enough. We should have them fixed soon, though.”

Julia shook her head in amazement, still examining the seemingly ordinary candy. –How much stuff are you guys working on?”

They grinned. –Not saying,” said Fred. –Can’t get the authorities in on it.” Julia raised her eyebrows, but didn’t reply.

–See you at the Quidditch game,” George added as they walked towards Gryffindor table. –You know, from a distance. As Gryffindor beats Ravenclaw.”

Julia nodded vaguely. –Sure.” She sat down by her friends. –You want some candy, Grace?” she asked.

–Sure,” said Grace. She took the toffee, put it in her mouth, then promptly spat it out.

–Yuck,” said Willa, eyeing it with distaste.

–How dumb do you think I am?” Grace asked. –I saw who you were talking to.”

–It was pretty close, though,” Julia laughed. –You definitely almost ate it.”

Grace helped herself to some potatoes, and didn’t answer.

- -

The hype leading up to that Quidditch game really was incredible. The winner would have a sure shot at the Quidditch Cup, making it an indisputably important event. Both the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw teams were practicing constantly, and bets were already beginning to be placed. Julia was trying to ignore it, though - she thought she was ready to practice the patronus charm, and she needed to focus.

She found an empty classroom. –Expecto patronum. Expecto patronum,” she muttered to herself. She squared her shoulders and tried to think of something happy. Nothing really came to mind, so she settled for just feeling happy . . .

–Expecto patronum.”

Nothing happened.

She tried again.

–Expecto patronum.”

Nothing. Clearly, she needed some sort of memory . . . but what? She thought of her friends, laughing and joking. She thought of her little brother. Still, nothing in particular, but the string of fun times running through her mind was making her smile . . .

–Expecto patronum!” A thin wisp of silver smoke came out of her wand, startling her so much that it vanished almost immediately. She tried again and again, but she was back to nothing.

–I’ll keep trying,” she said to the wall. –I’ll get it eventually.”

No one answered. She headed back to the common room, and entered, only to be almost mowed down by Grace.

–Cho’s injured! A goose flew at her and she hit the goalpost. Can you believe it? Maybe I can play!”

–It’s an important game, Grace. Don’t you think . . .” Julia started, once she’d finished laughing about the goose.

–It would be better if the real Seeker played? I know, I know. And Madam Pomfrey will heal her right up, so that’s what’ll happen,” said Grace, sitting down dejectedly.

–We’ve been telling her,” said Willa.

–I like seeking,” Grace pouted. –It’s not fair. I want to play.”

–Is seeking the proper term?” Julia smiled.

–Yes. Seekers seek.”

–Sneakers sneak,” Willa added with a grin.

–Leakers leak,” Julia continued.

–Peekers peek?” Chelsea suggested.

Grace tried to retort, but was interrupted by Parker landing on her head.

–Dreadfully sorry, miss,” said Sam as he walked by.

–You don’t mind, right?” said Mason, heading towards the door. –I’ll be back eventually.”

–What . . .” Julia processed the fact that Parker hadn’t moved. –We’re not looking after your monkey!” she shouted, but Mason had already gone. Everyone in the common room stared. The little blond girl, Lucy or Lana or something, stared quite a bit longer than everyone else.

–Kids,” Willa sighed.

- -

Finally, the day of the match came. It was a pleasant day for winter, sunny and not too cold. Cho had recovered, and despite the Gryffindor’s confidence in Harry Potter and his fancy new broom, Ravenclaw house had a generally optimistic feel to it that morning.

Julia, Willa and Grace were all ready to go when they realized that Chelsea was sitting in the common room reading, and didn’t look like she was about to move any time soon. –Aren’t you coming?” Willa asked. –It’s the big game!”

–No,” said Chelsea, not looking up.

Willa shrugged. –Suit yourself. Come on, you two. I want good seats.”

Julia followed them out, but her mind was racing. This would be the perfect chance to find out what Chelsea was up to, to solve the mystery of the shimmering books. All she needed was a good excuse to skip the game . . .

As they were crossing the grounds, she purposely fell to the ground. –Ow!” She sat up, clutching her ankle.

–You alright, Julia?” Grace asked.

Julia shook her head, face screwed up in pain. –I think I twisted my ankle. I should probably go to the hospital wing. You two go on . . .”

–We should take you! You can’t walk . . .” Willa started.

Julia got to her feet, careful to keep one foot a little above the ground. –I’ll be fine. You guys don’t want to miss the game. Go on.”

–Are you sure?” said Grace, glancing towards the pitch.

–Yes!” Julia insisted, so they turned away reluctantly. She pretended to limp until they were out of sight, then ran back up to the school.