Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
However, Julia was still rather tense in the days that followed. She’d decided to watch Chelsea a bit longer before she said anything, just in case she really wasn’t doing anything wrong. However, rumour had it Sirius Black had broken into the castle again, for real this time, and the whole place was in an uproar. Security was being tightened everywhere, and several of the first year girls were nearly hysterical with fright, jumping every time a door was opened. Most people weren’t quite so nervous, but Julia knew that no one was quite at ease either.

–What do you think he wants at Hogwarts?” Grace asked one evening, hugging her pillow.

–I don’t know,” said Willa. For once, she wasn’t jotting anything down in her files.

–Well, he keeps breaking into Gryffindor . . .” Julia started.

–You don’t think it’s Harry Potter again?” Grace exclaimed.

–It’s always Harry Potter,” said Chelsea.

–That kid has the worst luck,” said Willa, shaking her head.

Julia nodded. –Yeah.” She picked up a quill and started working on yet another History of Magic essay. It was almost spring, and with their OWL’s getting frighteningly close, the fifth years were getting more work than ever. In fact, one of the Hufflepuffs has burst into tears when this particular essay was assigned. Professor Binns, as usual, hadn’t even blinked. Did ghosts blink? She couldn’t say she’d noticed . . .

–I don’t see why your mark’s so low in Transfiguration,” Willa said to Chelsea. –You’re always reading that book.”

Julia jumped slightly. So did Chelsea. –I messed up one of my essays. Wrote it on the wrong topic. You know how much homework we’ve had . . . it’s completely mental, really . . .”

Julia smoothed her papers, trying not to look like she was suspicious in any way. She could tell Willa and Grace what she knew, but it was really better not to. Nothing was necessarily wrong. It was much more important that she did her homework.

–Julia, do you know why the giant riots happened?” Grace asked. –They’re sort of mentioning it in the textbook, but I think I slept through that class.”

Julia snorted. –You sleep through all the History of Magic classes.”

Grace sighed and scattered her papers. –I’m going to fail all my OWLs. All but Herbology. And maybe Charms. And Defense Against the Dark Arts.”
–So, yeah, all of them,” Willa laughed. –Totally.”

–At least we don’t have Care of Magical Creatures homework. Can you imagine? List all the reasons this totally dangerous monster isn’t dangerous . . .” Grace laughed at her own joke.

–Maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on him,” said Julia. –He seems depressed. Something to do with that hippogriff, I heard.”

Chelsea shrugged. She’d starting working on her charms homework, Julia noted. Willa’s comment must have shook her a bit.

Willa leaned in conspiratorially. –So guess who I kissed?”

–Who?” Grace asked over-eagerly. –The whole school?” Julia laughed.

–No,” said Willa indignantly. –I’m not real proud of it - he’s just a fourth year, but he is cute . . .”

Julia rolled her eyes. –We do have work to do, Willa.”

Connor walked by. –Please stop talking,” he said, his voice quiet but not at all nervous. –Exams are coming up and people are trying to work.” And he walked away.

Julia was flabbergasted. Shocked into silence by the total bizarreness of Connor saying an entire sentence, they got to work.

- -

Unfortunately, they just kept getting more and more homework. Even Professor Lupin, who preferred hands-on work to written assignments, set them a short essay.

–Just to review what we’ve learned,” he smiled as the class moaned. –These tests are important! For today, though, we’ll be practicing some of those jinxes we’ve been learning. Now, remember, these are for defensive situations only! Try not to hurt each other . . . in fact, using shield charms would be an excellent idea . . .”

Much more excited now, everyone paired off. Julia faced Grace, feeling nervous. This was what she didn’t like about defense; this was what scared her.

–Locomotor wibbly!” Grace cried. Julia dodged the spell quickly, not bothering with a Shield Charm.

–Umm . . .”

–Furnunculus!”

–Grace!” Julia dodged the spell just in time. Grace opened her mouth again, doubtless to try another hex. –Locomotor mortis!” Julia shouted. Much to her surprise, Grace fell to the ground, her legs stuck together.

Lupin smiled. –Not bad at all, Julia. Keep it up.”

Grace said the counter-spell and stood. –Oh, it’s on now,” she warned.

Feeling a bit shaky, Julia nodded. –Right. Umm . . .”

–Rictusempra!”

–Protego!”

And the game began again.

- -

In most classes, however, there was nothing but written work. By the time Julia left Ancient Runes later that week, she was distinctly disgruntled. Trying to balance her text books in her arms, she muttered, –Translate ten pages . . . as if I wasn’t busy enough . . . it’s not even Easter . . .” She wasn’t looking up as she made her way down towards the dungeons, and nearly screamed when someone pulled her around the corner. Her books fell to the ground.

–What . . .” She turned around. It was - who else? - the Weasley twins.

–Shut up. Wait for it, now . . .” There was a loud explosion, and a cloud of foul odour drifted down the main corridor.

–Now, aren’t you glad you didn’t go down that hallway?” the other twin smiled.

–I’m reporting you,” she said seriously. –You’ll get detention. I don’t have time for this.”

–Ah, come on, Julia. Dungbombs are fun.”

–Yeah! We still have some left.” He dropped one in her hands.

She glared at them. –I’m a prefect!” she protested.

–That you are,” said an oily voice behind them - Professor Snape. –I can’t imagine why you would keep such company.”

The three of them were silent. Snape smiled. –Detention, all of you. I’m sure you’d agree that’s a fitting punishment, Miss Rowland?”

–Professor, I didn’t . . .”

–My office. This Friday, and you will all stay longer if you’re late for class.” He moved away.

–Git,” said one of the twins (Fred, she decided. Probably).

–Why didn’t you two tell him I wasn’t involved?” Julia protested.

–We’re not happy about it either, you know,” said George. –We’ve got Quidditch every day . . .”

–Then you shouldn’t have set off Dungbombs in the hall!”

–Your shouting gave us away, so you’re guilty. See you in detention,” Fred grinned.

Julia gathered up her books, and started thinking of hexes she could use on two particular redheads as she headed to class.