Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
By the time they were sitting in the Great Hall, all of them felt a lot better. The warmth of the candlelight was far removed from the chill of the Dementors. Julia fiddled with her blue and bronze scarf anxiously. It hadn’t blocked out that unnatural cold. There had been more of the awful things, just outside, and she already seriously doubted that they would have a quiet year. The Sirius Black situation must be worse than she’d thought, if someone believed that even Hogwarts needed extra security.

The buzz of many conversations died down a bit as the first years filed into the hall, led by Professor Flitwick instead of McGonagall. Mason was near the end of the line, gawking up at the enchanted ceiling. He nearly ran into the girl in front of him when they stopped, but still continued to look around.

The sorting hat waited at the front of the hall. Professor Flitwick began to read out names. –Andrews, Sarah!” A small and nervous-looking girl put on the hat.

–Hufflepuff!” the hat declared.

So it went on, name after name. Then, finally, –Rowland, Mason!”

Mason jumped a bit, as if he hadn’t been expecting it, and hurried up to sit on the stool. There was a pause . . .

–Ravenclaw!” cried the hat.

Mason grinned and hurried over to Julia. –Good job,” she whispered. –Go sit with the other first years. You’ll have to get to know them eventually.”

Mason nodded and continued on down the table. The last child was sorted. Julia ran through her mental tally of new Ravenclaws, frowning. Surely there couldn’t only be two boys, Mason and one other? There had been a lot of girls, though, and the houses could never be perfectly balanced.

Dumbledore had stepped up to speak, and the hall went quiet. Julia thought she knew what he’d be talking about, and sure enough, he was warning them about the dementors. They seemed like horrible things . . . and he was asking the prefects to make sure no one got hurt! That meant her. She’d better read up on them, make sure she knew what the danger really was.

Then he was introducing the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lupin. He looked rather shabby, but that didn’t really mean anything. Lockhart had looked great, but he’d been an awful teacher. Next, a new Care of Magical Creatures teacher! She’d forgotten Professor Kettleburn had retired.

–Rubeus Hagrid,” Dumbledore announced. The Gryffindors cheered. The Ravenclaws were rather stunned.

–Him?” Chelsea exclaimed in a whisper. –But he’s . . . he’s not really a proper wizard, is he?”

Julia shrugged. –I suppose being good at magic isn’t really necessary for that class. And he is gamekeeper. He probably knows a lot about animals.” Still, there had been all sorts of interesting tales floating around about Hagrid over the years . . .

–Well, at least it shouldn’t be boring,” said Grace briskly as the food appeared.

–Finally,” Willa sighed, digging in. –They really do have the most excellent food here . . .”

No one disagreed. Before long, the food was gone, and it was time for Julia to start with her prefect duties. She got up, making sure her badge was on, and headed down to where the first years were sitting, nearly running into Connor, a gangly Ravenclaw in her year.

–Oh! Are you the other prefect?” she asked. He just nodded. He’d never been particularly talkative, preferring to keep his head safely in a book. –First years!” Julia cried. –Follow us up to the tower!”

They got up in a mass, tripping over each other and the benches. –Good,” she said. –This way.” She led them down a side passage, about six or seven girls whispering behind her. She glanced back and saw Connor trying to keep Mason and the other boy from falling behind. He didn’t look like he was going to be making any announcements, so she kept on talking.

–Ravenclaw tower is on the opposite end of the school from Gryffindor Tower. There are a few shortcuts . . .” She pushed past a tapestry, the others following. –Once we get there, you just climb the stairs and knock on the door. We don’t have a password like other houses, but a riddle that you’ll have to solve. Sometimes it can be tricky, but don’t worry. You can always get some help from any of your housemates that happen to be around.” They came to the staircase then, and began the long, winding ascent. Several other Ravenclaws were crowded around the door, discussing the riddle.

"What was the question?" Julia asked.

"What flies forever, rests never?" a fourth year recited.

–I know!” said one of the seventh years, also a prefect. –Wind,” he said, and the door opened. They all hurried in before it could close again.

Julia heard several hushed exclamations from the first years as they looked around the common room. Even by night, the view from the many windows was quite stunning, and the circular room, with its many bookshelves, tables, and blue chairs, had always seemed very inviting to her.

"This is the common room," said Julia. "You'll be able to spend lots of time here, doing homework, or just spending time with friends and getting to know all your housemates. You can do pretty much what you want here, as long as you're following school rules, so don't be afraid to be yourself. And yes, we do have the best view in the school," she finished. The first years nodded, still looking around distractedly.

–Umm, well, boy’s dormitories are this way,” mumbled Connor. –You two, follow me.”

Julia turned back to the girls. –Yes, and girl’s dormitories are up the other side. Look for the door that says first years.” Most of them nodded and headed up. One or two were still looking out the windows, but hopefully they’d heard. She headed up to her own dormitory, where Grace was busy arranging her collection of magical flowers.

–That one’s new,” Julia noted, pointing to a pink one.

–Yes, it is,” Grace smiled. –It glows in the dark, see?” She waved her wand, and the lights went out, leaving only a faint pink glow.

–Hey!” Chelsea protested. There was a loud thunk, probably Willa tripping over something.

–Oh! Sorry!” Grace waved her wand again, restoring the light. Julia laughed and started unpacking her things. It was good to be back.