Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Julia’s first week back at Hogwarts was very busy. She had a full schedule, as always, and was eager to get right back to work. She always seemed to forget things over the summer, and it was important to study a bit before they got too much class work. She also had her prefect duties, which, beyond escorting first-years up to the dormitories, she realized she really didn’t know.

–There was a meeting on the train,” said Connor. –I guess you weren’t there.”

Julia groaned. –I forgot! My brother was there, and we were in a rush, and then there was the . . . the dementors.”

Connor looked at the floor.

–Well, do you think you could tell me what I missed?” Julia prompted.

Connor muttered something about not really being the best one to say. She stared at him, and eventually he became uncomfortable enough to mumble, –Well, um, if you know the rules you really just let Professor Flitwick or someone know if people break them. And, um, we do night patrols. Every second Monday.”

Julia nodded. –Thank you.” Then she left, before he melted into a pool of embarrassment. She wasn’t sure she’d ever heard him say so much in all her previous years at Hogwarts put together.

Most of their classes were much the same as last year, though the teachers were already warning them about their OWLs. Julia wasn’t too concerned, at least not yet. She always did well on tests. Chelsea, on the other hand, went into a panic at once.

–I’d better start studying,” she said. –Making notes.”

–We haven’t learned anything yet,” said Grace, confused.

–They could test us on previous years as well!” Chelsea protested. –Could you imagine failing?”

–I’d rather not, thanks,” Willa muttered.

Of course, there were the two new teachers. Lupin seemed like an excellent teacher, though Defense really wasn’t Julia’s thing. It frightened her, mostly . . . she wondered if he could tell her more about the dementors. Better to try and find a book, she decided.

Hagrid’s teaching skills, on the other hand, were a bit more dubious. He explained to them, first and foremost, how to open their books.
–Stroke the spine,” muttered one of the Hufflepuffs. –Great, if it doesn’t eat you first.”

Julia smiled. The Monster’s Book of Monsters was certainly a fascinating sort of book . . . although she did admit that it would be better if it was a little less vicious. However, Hagrid seemed rather dejected, and didn’t seem to have much planned.

–I heard something went wrong, in a third year class,” whispered Willa.

–You heard right,” said Tanner, a Gryffindor, rather close to Willa’s ear.

–Yeah,” laughed one of the Weasley twins (Julia could never tell them apart). –A little git of a Slytherin got hurt.”

–The man should be glad!” chimed in the other twin.

Julia rolled her eyes and decided to just look through the book. Clearly this class was going to be nothing more than boys flirting with Willa, as always.

Julia saw very little of her brother until late of the week. She and her friends were sitting near the fire. Julia was looking at a book on dark creatures. Grace was working on her Charms essay. Willa was watching some sixth year boys play Exploding Snap.

–You should be studying,” Chelsea told her, looking up from one of her old textbooks.

–I am,” Willa muttered absently. –I am studying human behaviour. Maybe I’ll write an essay for a science journal. ‘The habits of young and attractive wizards’ . . .”

Julia rolled her eyes, then frowned as she finally stumbled upon an entry about dementors. She leaned in closer to read it.

Dementors are some of the foulest creatures to walk this earth . . . their greatest danger lies in their ability to suck out the soul of a victim . . . the only way to repel a dementor is by use the of the Patronus Charm.

Julia bit her lip. This wasn’t right. Creatures like that shouldn’t be allowed in a school. The Patronus charm was extremely advanced, and she doubted very many students knew it. And she would have to be patrolling at night, with no teachers around. What if someone was being attacked, and she was the only one there to help them . . .

–Whatcha reading?”

Julia jumped, dropped the book, and turned around to see her brother grinning behind her.

–Gotcha! I scared you, didn’t I?”

Julia sighed. –How are you, Mason? Are you liking Hogwarts?”

–Oh, yeah, it’s excellent,” said Mason brightly. –Really excellent. Only we haven’t learned any actual magic yet . . .”

–Well, of course not,” Julia stated. –Soon, though, you will.”

Mason nodded vaguely, distracted by someone coming up behind him: a thin, pale boy with hair that fell into his eyes and a huge grin.

–Hullo, Miss,” he said, in a thick Irish accent. –You must be Mason’s sister.”

–Yeah,” said Mason excitedly. –This is my friend, Sam. His parents are wizards. He’s never even heard of video games . . .”

–I have a broom, though. I really wish first years could try out.”

–Sorry,” Julia shrugged. –It’s just the way it is.”

–Oh, and I’m going to be getting a chimpanzee,” said Mason.

–What?” Julia stared at him. –No, you’re not.”

–I am! There’s a company that mails them in . . .”

–Mason, that’s awful.”

–No. It’s brilliant. Only five galleons. And they treat them good!”

–A chimpanzee is not an approved school pet,” said Julia in her best prefect voice. –Only owls, cats, rats, and toads are allowed.”

–And chimpanzees,” said Mason. Sam laughed. So did Grace, as the two younger boys walked away, whispering conspiratorially.

–Your brother really is a riot, isn’t he?” she giggled.

–Oh, yeah, a real laugh,” Julia scowled. She picked up her book, then set it back on the table. She’d read what she needed to know. She headed up to the dormitory. Maybe a little sleep would clear her head.
Chapter Endnotes: Hey everyone! Thanks for reading so far - there's lots more to come! Please review if you have anything you want to say, it would mean a lot :)