Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
However, try as she might, Julia just couldn’t get to sleep. Voices ran through her head as she stared up at the ceiling. Dementors are some of the foulest creatures to walk this earth . . . there was a meeting, on the train. I guess you weren't there. And then, bizarrely, Mason. I’m getting a chimpanzee.

She sighed and checked the time. Half past one, and she was still wide awake. She knew, as a prefect, she shouldn’t be wandering the halls at night. No, absolutely not. Still, she wanted to take a walk, maybe talk to the Grey Lady. She hadn’t done that yet this year. The Grey Lady rarely spoke, but she often made time to say a few words to Julia, and what she did say was often just what Julia needed to hear.

Her mind made up, Julia crawled out of bed, put on her blue dressing gown over her pajamas, and padded out of the room, careful not to wake anyone. The common room was empty. The windows showed the reflection of the moon on the lake. Carefully, she eased open the door. –Lumos,” she whispered. The stairs were darker than the rest of the tower, and, as she had learned from experience, easy to fall down if one wasn’t careful.

Although she tried not to wander too much at night, she could never really help but enjoy the quietness, the strangeness of the deserted school. It was slightly marred this time by fear of the dementors . . . but she would stay well away from the doors. Of course, there was also guilt. She was a prefect. She shouldn’t be breaking the rules. Still, she already had, now. No use turning back.

She made her way to the Grey Lady’s favorite haunt without running into whichever prefects happened to be on patrol, or any teachers. Then she waited until the ghost of a beautiful, dark-haired woman appeared.

–Julia,” said the ghost.

–Helena,” Julia replied, inclining her head in greeting.

The ghost looked at her for a moment, reading her face. –You are concerned about the dementors.”

–I suppose. It just . . . it doesn’t seem right, having them here.”

–Perhaps it is not, but there is little you can do. Do not worry overmuch. The dementors affect those who have great horrors in their past the most. You do not, I trust?”

Julia shook her head. Some loneliness and ridicule, yes. No one had really accepted her before she came to Hogwarts. Moments of fear, of course, and moments of confusion, from back before she knew the strange things she did were magic. But no great horror.

Well, except for one memory . . . but it was fuzzy, and no one spoke of it, no one believed she had been old enough to recall . . .

The Grey Lady’s gaze softened, the corners of her mouth turning up slightly in her version of a smile. –It is not wise to worry beyond necessity. Now, you should go. It is late.”

Julia nodded. –Thank you,” she said, but the ghost was already gone.

She headed back the way she had come, wand light slightly dimmed to avoid attracting attention. She gazed off into the dark, feeling less concerned, but still guilty. All she really needed was to get back without meeting anyone . . .

–Going somewhere?” two voices chorused, and she spun around, resisting the urge to shriek. She scowled when she saw who it was.

–Fred and George.”

–I prefer George and Fred,” said one of them. –If you don’t mind.”

She shook her head, exasperated. The Weasley twins were in her year, but she had always chosen not to give them much notice. Just a couple of silly pranksters, funny at times, but not worth her attention.

–It’s Julia, isn’t it?” said the other twin - Fred, maybe?

–A Ravenclaw,” said George (she assumed it was George).

–A Ravenclaw prefect.”

–Now what would a prefect . . .”

–Be doing out of bed this time of night?” maybe-Fred finished with a grin.

–I . . . I could ask you the same thing!” she stammered.

–Ah,” they said together, coming up on either side of her, –but we’re not prefects.”

She stepped forward, better to glare at them. –Of course you’re not. I can’t report you tonight, because . . .”

–You’re breaking the rules too?” She had no idea which twin spoke. It was simply ridiculous.

–You know, Fred,” said George - he had to be George, or else they were messing with her - –It really is a shame when pretty girls become prefects.”

Julia blushed in spite of herself. They were definitely messing with her now. No one ever said she was pretty.

–Yes. Sucks all the fun right out of them,” Fred continued. –And then they could become Head Girl . . .”

–What’s wrong with that?” asked Julia indignantly.

–Well, our brother Percy . . .”

–Is Head Boy . . .”

–And he’s a prat,” they finished together.

Julia sighed again. –I’m leaving,” she said, –and I’d better not catch you two out at night again, or you won’t get off so easy.”

They shrugged. –Such a shame,” sighed one. –All the fun’s gone already.”

–You know what, Fred?” said George. –I think we have an obligation to this poor girl.”

–I agree,” said Fred. –After all, she’s only just become a prefect. We may be able to save her from becoming a prat yet.”

They turned back to Julia, who was still staring at them. –Well?” they grinned together. –Weren’t you leaving?”

With a glare to freeze fire, she whipped around and headed back towards Ravenclaw tower. The nerve of those two . . .

She realized, too late, that they hadn’t actually said what they were doing out so late. But then again, neither had she.
Chapter Endnotes: Obviously, I don't own Fred and George. They, and any other canon characters that may be mentioned, were invented by the great JKR :)