Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Julia was sitting in History of Magic, taking notes from the textbook. She’d slept well for a few nights now, but no amount of rest could give her the energy to listen to Professor Binns talk. She found the subject interesting, but she had discovered years ago that the only way she could pass on her own was to learn it by herself. Grace sat next to her. Perhaps once she’d been trying to listen to the lecture, but now she was tracing flowers on the table, her long, straight hair hiding her face. Out of the whole class, only Chelsea seemed completely alert. The Gryffindors, in particular, were paying no attention at all . . .

She quickly looked away from that side of the room, but it was too late. The Weasley twins had caught her eye. She focused in on her book, trying to read the next paragraph on major dragon attacks. A piece of paper slid onto the table next to her, shaped like . . . a dragon. Her curiosity got the better of her. She reached out to touch it, and it melted back into an ordinary sheet of paper, written in a quick and sprawling hand.

Lesson one, today at four in the corridor by McGonagall’s classroom.
George

Julia sighed, annoyed. She didn’t need a pair of troublemakers to teach her how to have fun. She had loads of fun. Reading books counted as fun.

Grace pushed back her hair and looked towards the paper. –Who . . .”

Julia pulled the paper away and tucked it in the pocket of her robes, next to her wand and a spare quill. –It’s nothing,” she whispered.

Grace looked over her head, though, and spotted Fred and George looking at them. One of the winked lazily. Willa noticed, and went very red. Grace raised her eyebrow, first at Willa, then back at Julia.

Julia propped up her book in between her and her friend. –I’m very busy studying, Grace. You should try it.”

Grace sniffed. –I don’t need to study. I’m a brilliant Ravenclaw and I ace all my tests without trying.”

–No, you don’t, actually,” Julia muttered in reply, starting to write again. –Remember that one Potions exam . . .”

–In my defense, I did not know the test was that day.”

–But if you don’t need to study . . .”

Chelsea whipped around. –Quiet!” she hissed. –I’m trying to listen.”

Julia looked down and read over the notes she’d just written. They had very little to do with dragon sightings. She crumpled up the paper, and started again.

- -

Much to her own surprise, Julia found herself waiting outside the Transfiguration classroom at four o’clock. Naturally, no one was around. A feeble prank, really, luring her here for no reason. Not at all up to their usual standards.

Suddenly, there was a loud, shrill sound from behind her. She shrieked and jumped, looking around, but saw nothing. The sound continued, echoing off the walls. –Turn it off!” she shouted. –You guys . . .”

Professor McGonagall stepped out in to the hall. –Miss Rowland! Whatever are you doing?”

–Can’t you hear it, Professor?” Julia gasped . . . but the sound had stopped.

Professor McGonagall looked around, but also saw nothing. –Perhaps you should have your hearing checked, Miss Rowland . . . but as a prefect, by all means tell me if you find the source of the disturbance.” She stepped back into her office and shut the door.

As if on cue, Fred and George came around the corner, one of them practically falling over with laughter.

–You two!” Julia gasped, fuming. –I should report you right now . . .”

–Ah, come on,” said one twin.

–Just a little joke,” laughed the other.

She looked down, and spotted a small black object. She picked it up. It was smoking slightly, seemingly broken. –And what’s this?”

–That . . .”

–Is a Startling Screamer.”

–Our own invention.”

–Simple spell to trap the noise inside . . .”

–A bit of a delay, setting it off, so we’re not spotted . . .”

–And only the person it’s nearest to will hear it.”

–That’s . . . actually, that’s very clever,” Julia remarked, surprised.

–We thought you might appreciate it. Wit beyond measure and all.”

–It’s still in the works, of course.”

–Only lasts about a minute before it breaks.”

–We’re hoping to improve it . . .”

Julia tossed the small object in her hand. –You know, I should still report you.”

They remained silent, two identical faces hiding smiles.

–I’ve already let you two off once!” she protested.

–Ah,” they said together, coming up on either side and marching her down the hall, –but we haven’t broken any rules.”

–Magic in the corridors!”

–As if you’ve never done that,” one of them snorted.

–Everyone does,” said the other.

–Causing a disturbance . . .”

–Technically, you were warned,” said the twin on her left.

–No . . .”

–Surely a clever girl like you would’ve known we’d pull a prank!” said the twin on her right in mock astonishment.

Julia broke away from them. –Fine! I’ll let you two off one more time, but just this once!” She stalked off down the hall, but hadn’t gotten far before she paused and looked back at them. –It looks like the noise spell is stronger than the shell. If you reinforced it somehow, maybe it would last longer.” Then she hurried away, without waiting to hear their response.