Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Over 1000 views now, thank you all so much! :)
Julia forced herself to walk back to Ravenclaw Tower. Already she knew she should’ve turned the twins in. Ten points, probably, would’ve been all they’d lose, and Gryffindor always seemed to have too many points for all the trouble they caused. Probably because of rubbish prefects like her . . .

She knocked on the door. –What needs food, though water’s its demise?” it asked.

She paused. –Fire, of course. That’s an easy one.” The door opened to a fairly quiet common room. There were lots of people on the lawn below - it must be a nice day. Maybe she could just head outside until supper instead . . .

Someone grabbed her from behind, trying to surprise her, but she’d seen their reflection in the window. –Grace, what do you want?”

–What’s going on? I have to know!”

–You don’t have to know . . .”

–Yeah, actually, we do,” said Willa. –It’s only fair. You should be warned before you start hanging out with those Weasley twins . . .”

Julia sat down on the soft blue couch with a sigh. –I’m not hanging out with them. I just . . . ran into them, and now they’ve decided I need to be bothered.”

–Yeah, well that’s how they start,” said Willa. –But don’t go thinking one of them fancies you. They’re Gryffindors. Totally unattainable. Never pay you any attention if one of their own is around . . . not to mention they’re identical. Terribly confusing.”

–Had some lovely experiences, have you, Willa?” said Grace, raising her eyebrows.

–Only time she’s ever been wrong about a guy. Too ashamed to speak of it, even to her friends,” said Chelsea, still seemingly absorbed in her Divination book.

–How . . .” Willa started.

–I know stuff,” said Chelsea cryptically.

–We have to watch out for her,” whispered Grace.

Chelsea laughed, looking up. –Just deductive reasoning, Gracie. Nothing to fear. I’m going down to dinner.”

None of the others bothered to follow - the meal wouldn’t even start for another half hour, and being early meant you had to wait longer for dessert.

–It’s not like that,” said Julia. –They probably just want to get on all the prefects’ good sides, now that there’s some of us in their year.”

–I guess so,” Willa sighed. –Still, I’m putting this conversation on file . . .”

–Don’t you dare!” The time Willa kept track of anything was when she thought it may have something to do with romance.

–Here, you can use my quill,” said Grace.

–You two are being ridiculous,” Julia started.

–Ridiculous things are fun,” said Mason.

Julia looked at him seriously. –Quit sneaking up on me,” she told him. –It’s very rude.”

–It’s very rude,” he mocked. She drew her wand. –No! Don’t hurt me or I’ll levitate you!” he squeaked.

Julia laughed. –Funny thing, I was just about to levitate you.”

–I just was wondering when the post comes,” said Mason. –My chimpanzee should be here soon.”

She stared at him. –It comes at breakfast. Did you seriously order a chimpanzee?”

–Of course!”

–Mason! Filch won’t let it in! Not to mention you’re nowhere near responsible enough . . . I’m writing Mum and Dad.”

–You have a pet!” Mason protested. –Besides, the chimpanzees are all fully trained and very smart! They look after themselves! I’ll keep it in my dormitory. Sam won’t mind.”

–Mason, it’s not allowed.”

–You don’t know that,” he said, bouncing on his toes. –Nope, you don’t. I’ve never ever heard of a rule saying mail order chimpanzees aren’t allowed . . .”

–Mason, don’t be ridiculous . . .”

Someone came up from behind and threw a handful of powder over her head, obscuring her vision. She heard footsteps running away, and someone with an Irish accent saying, –I did it! Just like you asked!”

–Brilliant, mate!” said Mason, and by the time Julia could see again, the two boys had hurried up the stairs towards their dormitory.

–Five points!” she shouted after them. –I’ll make sure of it.”

Grace clapped. –Very prefect-y. You take points from Fred and George too?”

–Of course,” Julia lied. –Why wouldn’t I?”

- -

Julia found that she had trouble sleeping again that night. It figured. Everything just had to happen at once . . . but she wouldn’t go wandering. Not this time. She was going to be a good prefect now. She rolled over, and tried to calm her thoughts.

She woke up suddenly to daylight and something furry near her face. –Snowy,” she mumbled, –I told you not to . . .” She opened her eyes and cried out, waking the others.

Grace shrieked. –Julia, there’s a monkey on your head!”

–Where did it come from?” Willa cried, pulling up her blanket. –It’s too early for monkeys!”

–Get it out!” said Chelsea.

Julia sat up. The monkey (a chimpanzee, in fact) moved over to look at her cheekily. –Oh, I think I know where it came from,” she said darkly. It scampered over to climb the curtains. She put on her dressing gown and picked it up, then headed down to the foot of the boy’s staircase. She was about to shout when Mason came running, trailed by Sam.

–Oh, good! You found Parker!”

–Parker?” said Julia, puzzled.

–Yeah. The chimpanzee! He came this morning, special post right to my window!”

–Mason!”

–What’s all this commotion?” The three of them turned around to see the tiny Professor Flitwick looking at them tiredly. –Is that a chimpanzee?”

–Yessir,” said Mason eagerly. –Can I keep it?”

–Well, Mason, you know chimpanzees aren’t approved pets,” said Flitwick gravely.

–But he’s used to magic! He was raised by wizards!”

Julia detected a hint of a smile on the Head of House’s face as he said, –I really shouldn’t make exceptions, but if you can keep it under control . . .”

Mason cheered. –Come on, Sam! Let’s make a chimpanzee house! Thank you, Professor!” The two boys hurried away.

–That was really nice of you,” Julia remarked to Flitwick.

–Ah, well, one must make exceptions every now and again. Just don’t tell the others.” With a smile, he headed back to his office.

Julia looked down, and saw her cat Snowy. Carrying him with her, she sat down by the always-lit fire and waited for the rest of the house to get up.