Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The next time Julia found herself out at night, it was on her second patrol with Connor. The first one had been exceptionally boring. Each of them had taken half of the floors, walked through all of the main hallways, then went back to sleep. It was a bloody waste of time, in her opinion. It wouldn’t be that hard for anyone out and about to evade them.

–I’ll take the top floors this time,” she told Connor. He just nodded. She headed upstairs, her wand lit.

Her mind wandered as she strolled down the hall, listening for people more than she was watching. A mouse scampered along the wall. With all the cats around, surely there shouldn’t be mice . . . but perhaps all the cats were like Snowy, begging for food instead of actually putting in the effort required to catch anything. Snowy was rather frightened of mice and all other things that moved, aside from people.

Next, she thought about her Ancient Runes homework, and how intolerably dull her thoughts must seem to anyone reading her mind. Not, of course, that anyone would be doing that. She couldn’t remember if it was possible or not, mind-reading. She wondered of Care of Magical Creatures would ever get more interesting. She had been certain that Hagrid would have more interesting animals in his care than salamanders and flobberworms.

There was a noise behind her, and she stiffened. She turned, but no one was in sight.

–Filch is in his office?” said a voice that was becoming all too familiar from around the corner.

–Of course. Lazy old git wouldn’t be out of bed at this hour. Anyone else around?”

–I’m checking. I think . . . wait . . .”

Two redheads came around the corner, as Julia had expected.

–Fancy seeing you here again,” one of them said, folding up a large piece of parchment.

–So late at night,” sighed the other.

–I’m on patrol,” she said stiffly.

–Ah, of course. Saw some other Ravenclaw downstairs.”

–Snoring like a dragon. Didn’t even blink as we went by.”

–Connor,” Julia sighed, annoyed. –I should wake him up.”

The twins grinned. –Yes, save him from his terrible ineptitude,” said one.

–Such a tragedy, that he get a rest . . .”

–You probably push him around all day long . . .”

–Poor boy . . . has he ever actually taken a point? I’ve never heard a word from him.”

Julia glared at them. –He doesn’t say much. And before I go . . .”

–I think she’s going to try and get us in trouble, George,” whispered Fred conspiratorially.

–I think she is,” George agreed. –We could try out those stunning puffs . . .”

–A bit harsh, perhaps. An old-school dungbomb . . .”

–Stop it!” Julia cried. –You’re out after curfew, doing goodness knows what . . .”

–Why, only a harmless prank!” said Fred, pretending to be offended.

–Nothing at all to concern you,” said George.

–I’ll report you,” Julia said, her voice shaking a bit. –I will! And . . . I’ll take that parchment!”

Fred whisked the paper out of her reach. –We’ll keep the parchment, I think.”

–Do report us,” said George as he and his brother set off down the hall. –We deserve punishment, rotten boys like us.”

–Don’t forget that partner of yours, Connor,” Fred winked. –Wouldn’t want some other girl to pick him up.”

Then they were gone, and Julia just stared. Why . . . the nerve . . . she just . . . –I will report them,” she whispered. –Absolutely.”

She headed downstairs to find Connor. She’d had enough patrolling for the night. Sure enough, he was sleeping against the wall. For goodness sakes, if he couldn’t stay up for just an hour . . .

She looked at him for a moment. He had darker skin than her, but a sickly look in spite of it. His black hair was cut short, and his arms and legs were too long. She shook his shoulder. –Wake up.” He opened his eyes.

–I’m sorry,” he said, scrambling to his feet. –I didn’t mean . . .”
She was about to snap at him, but she stopped herself. She was mad at the twins, and no one else. –It’s fine. It’s late.”

He shook his head. –It wasn’t that. I thought I saw someone . . . maybe . . .” He caught her eye, and suddenly became shy again.

–You were cursed?” Julia finished. He nodded. –But who . . .”

He shrugged and turned in the direction of Ravenclaw tower. Julia followed, an awful suspicion growing. Fred and George had passed Connor, and they’d talked about some sort of stunning thing . . . Connor stumbled, and she caught his arm automatically, getting an almost-smile as thanks.

She didn’t want to think that the twins would attack someone. It didn’t seem right, somehow. Connor hadn’t really been hurt, but still . . . She would report them. No reason why not. They’d broken the rules.

She had to report them, and that was that.